http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:09:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for getting 4 year old into Martial Arts?  (Read 421 times)
Bulletpig
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »

We adopted our two grandsons last year.  The oldest just turned 4.  My wife and I would like to get him involved in Martial Arts with the thought that it would help his self confidence, focus, etc.

I am completely ignorant on the subject so wanted to reach out to see if people in the know could offer advice.  Like what type, what to look for at a location that offers classes etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »

Knightshade, you're on deck, pal.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »

Quote from: Bulletpig on April 20, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

We adopted our two grandsons last year.  The oldest just turned 4.  My wife and I would like to get him involved in Martial Arts with the thought that it would help his self confidence, focus, etc.

I am completely ignorant on the subject so wanted to reach out to see if people in the know could offer advice.  Like what type, what to look for at a location that offers classes etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Not like this.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »

Well see, first you have them paint the fence, then you have them sand the deck, then you have them wax the car...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 20, 2012, 05:32:57 PM

Well see, first you have them paint the fence, then you have them sand the deck, then you have them wax the car...

And I thought my response would suck... icon_wink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 20, 2012, 04:55:09 PM

there's always Einsteinium, but he may recommend kicking a bear....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 20, 2012, 05:49:09 PM

Ouch.

Well, anyway, my nephew and neices take TKD - they are 10, 8 (almost 9) and 7 at the moment and have been doing it at least a year. I'm wondering if 4 is a little young? They do classes that are especially for kids and have different belt requirements than adults so they are able to feel the accomplishment of ranking up, as well as be safe. They also have family classes where they can do some things with their mom.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »

Thing is, 4 years old is generally what is known as "punching-at-ball-height".

DO.
NOT.
WANT.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »

DO NOT knock Mr. Miyagi!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 20, 2012, 08:45:12 PM

DO NOT knock Mr. Miyagi!

He did have great success, I suppose..slywink

Also, I would have to agree. Four year olds are too prone to testicular damage to others based on their height.
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »

The ATA offers a Tiny Tiger program that sounds what you might be looking for...
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 20, 2012, 06:16:05 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 20, 2012, 04:55:09 PM

there's always Einsteinium, but he may recommend kicking a bear....

With 4 year olds, there are very few schools that can offer more than expensive day-care services. I'm sure Knightshade will say the same, but scout a few different schools, and watch the classes. Specifically, look at the instructor, the methods used for disciplining the children, and the way the children react to him/her. A school with children that act poorly reflects on the school more than the children.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:18:40 AM »

show em this:

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »

I don't know enough to weigh in on a good starting age, but whenever they do happen to be old enough, definitely go in and watch a class and see how the instructors handle things.  I still remember touring a few before I signed up for shotokan karate circa age 8 or 9.  Some places were modest facilities that seemed to have good instructors and atmosphere, others... well...

There was this one place that was all glitz and "oh come on" fakeness.  Totally the Cobra Kai dojo.  While other establishments just showed us the facilities and the class that happened to be in session, the Cobra Kai place had a whole prescripted tour.  We went back to see the "master sensei" who had his own zen-like room where he just sat and meditated all day (or made it look like that's all he did).  Then when we got to the main floor, they had people line up and break planks and cinder blocks for our awe and amazement.  If rolling eye smileys had existed back then, I'd have been tossing them out left and right.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 03:21:46 AM »

Schools almost always have free trial classes you can have them attend. As people said, you can only expect so much martial arts from a 4 year old, but the ones at my (Tae Kwon Do) school seem to love it. They'll do mixes of stretching, basic kicks, dodgeball, kicking on the bags, etc. On camp days they'll watch movies, go to chuck-e-cheese, etc too :-P. I do think it forces them to learn a little discipline in class, although left to their own devices too long they'll go crazy!
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 04:40:34 AM »

I'm a junior instructor in TKD (1st degree black belt, been teaching for about 1 year). I mostly work with white and yellow belts so I have a large number of younger kids.  In general, we don't let kids start until they are 5 years old. However, all children have unique abilities and there are exceptions to the rule.  My school does an introductory class that is one on one with the owner (7th degree, former olympic coach and Olympian) where he evaluates their readiness. The biggest things he looks for is the ability to follow directions for a period of time. If we give even the most basic instructions and kids can't follow them, then it's very difficult to teach them.

I would inquire with any school you are looking at to see if they have a similar setup.  A school that is willing to wait or turn away students that aren't ready yet is going to be less likely to just want your money.  This is an education, not just a sports activity.  

Good luck in your search.  

-shaggy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:43:36 AM by shaggydoug » Logged

Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 04:58:47 AM »

Thanks for all tips and info.  I was wondering too about his age and will keep it in mind as we look around.

I am not expecting him to be a ninga at 4.  By age 6 sure but 4 is crazy talk.

Sweep the leg...
 icon_biggrin
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 05:03:32 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 21, 2012, 01:38:04 AM

I don't know enough to weigh in on a good starting age, but whenever they do happen to be old enough, definitely go in and watch a class and see how the instructors handle things.  I still remember touring a few before I signed up for shotokan karate circa age 8 or 9.  Some places were modest facilities that seemed to have good instructors and atmosphere, others... well...

There was this one place that was all glitz and "oh come on" fakeness.  Totally the Cobra Kai dojo.  While other establishments just showed us the facilities and the class that happened to be in session, the Cobra Kai place had a whole prescripted tour.  We went back to see the "master sensei" who had his own zen-like room where he just sat and meditated all day (or made it look like that's all he did).  Then when we got to the main floor, they had people line up and break planks and cinder blocks for our awe and amazement.  If rolling eye smileys had existed back then, I'd have been tossing them out left and right.

Oooh...ahhhh.... Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: