http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 07:09:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for domain name for professional website/email?  (Read 228 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:13:07 AM »

I'm a computer science major, and would like to put up my code online as a "portfolio" of sorts.

I'd also like to post my resume online and use the domain for my email for job seeking.

Do you have any advice regarding domain names? Would (mylastname).me be fine? ((mylastname).com is taken).

Also, any recommendations on domain registrar?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:14:43 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on May 10, 2012, 01:13:07 AM

I'm a computer science major, and would like to put up my code online as a "portfolio" of sorts.

I'd also like to post my resume online and use the domain for my email for job seeking.

Do you have any advice regarding domain names? Would (mylastname).me be fine? ((mylastname).com is taken).

Also, any recommendations on domain registrar?

I work for a domain registrar (the largest one at that), so I'll keep my recommendation to myself, but the .me domain is pretty widely used in the way you are talking about.   In fact, I'd argue that that's kinda what it was built for.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 02:21:46 AM »

I use Namecheap. Been happy with them so far. I've also heard really good things about Blue Host. Both are cPanel-based hosts at their cheap levels and both handle registration.

As far as the domain name itself , I'd grab a .com, .net and .org of something. As silly as it sounds, people tend assume .com for everything if they can't remember. You want the other two to forward to your actual space, even if you don't use the .com as your main space. It doesn't have to be your last name (mine, for example, is way too common), but you want it to be tasteful and easy to spell/say and remember (short).

BTW, coders don't usually have portfolios. Most people doing the hiring want to see how you approach solving a problem and how quickly you think on your feet. You're going to have to answer some technical questions from them as well. Getting a professional presence website is a good idea, so I'd suggest focusing on that aspect more than uploading code snippets.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:52:23 AM »

Quote from: Calavera on May 10, 2012, 02:21:46 AM

As far as the domain name itself , I'd grab a .com, .net and .org of something. As silly as it sounds, people tend assume .com for everything if they can't remember. You want the other two to forward to your actual space, even if you don't use the .com as your main space. It doesn't have to be your last name (mine, for example, is way too common), but you want it to be tasteful and easy to spell/say and remember (short).

This.  I work as a web-developer and .com is what you should take if at all possible. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 10, 2012, 02:52:23 AM

Quote from: Calavera on May 10, 2012, 02:21:46 AM

This.  I work as a web-developer and .com is what you should take if at all possible. 

Agreed. How about firstnamelastname.com? That's what I use.

And while I agree with Calavera that most people want to see your problem solving approach, a professional portfolio goes a long way of getting you in the door at a lot of places. Some places won't even give you a second look if you do not have a portfolio of sites/projects on which you have worked.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »

pleasehire.me

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: