http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:42:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acid motherf****ing reflux!  (Read 320 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:41:54 AM »

Has anyone around here had a problem with acid reflux ? I'm
assuming the answer is yes. How bad though? I literally threw up 4 times this morning due to it. I never had it until 5 yrs or so ago, never. I only get it here and there usually, not bad right? Then about 2 times a year I get it bad. I'm working on stopping smoking which I know would help numerous things just not this. Also, cutting back on alcohol is in the works. I'm going to start keeping a journal of what I eat and when it flares up. Any other ideas? Seriously this sucks.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:36:36 AM »

If it's that bad I really recommend seeing a doctor.  I had it pretty bad and they ended up sending a scope down my throat and into my stomach.  I actually had some sort of infection making it bad.  They also discovered that I had the entrance to my stomach is herniated causing it to flare up.  After the antibiotics for the infection I haven't had it that bad in a long time.  I get occasional flare ups still.  They prescribed prilosec for those, although those aren't good to take long term. 

Caffeine is a big one that can cause flare ups.  I notice coffee and teas aren't so bad, but if I drink a soda it comes back.  Also fried foods , and for me, sugary stuff tends to flare it up. 

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:37:48 AM »

Also the scope procedure is not bad, they knock you out for it so you don't feel or notice a thing.  Your throat might be slightly sore for a bit after though.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:08:59 AM »

Stomach acid destroyed my wife's teeth. If it's reaching your mouth very often you've got a serious problem aside from the horrible taste.

I get it once or twice a year when I drink too much. It was worse when I was fatter and less-worse when I was skinnier.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:31:40 AM »

I had it briefly, and it was horrifically painful. My throat was so burned badly in one overnight attack that swallowing anything felt like molten lava moving down my throat for about three days afterward. the pain was borderline unbearable. You know how the average person doesn't realize how often he or she blinks? Well, the same can be said swallowing and random clearing of the throat. But after those three days I learned that both of those bodily functions happen with more regularity than I ever suspected.

Gah!! I don't even like bringing up those memories!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »

I have it badly and it can be quite serious as people have mentioned.  Everything from tooth decay, migraines and throat/tongue cancer can be a result.  Don't delay, act today
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »

I never had it and then, in my freshman year in college, I had an appendectomy. Afterwards, I would get acid reflux bad enough to keep me awake at night but not horrible. Then, one day after staying up all night and eating crap, I had the worst case I've ever had. It was non-stop for hours and just felt like my chest and throat were disintegrating from the inside. I went to the doctor and they had me drink this numbing agent that calmed it down (or at least it was gone by the time the numbing agent wore off). After that incident, I started taking Zantac daily (was prescription only at the time). That seemed to control it well enough; I never got it while taking the meds. I got off Zantac after about 6 months and haven't had acid reflux. *knock on wood*.

In any case, the point being if it's bad enough that you're throwing up you should 1) go to a doctor or, at the very least, 2) try something like Zantac and see if that helps.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 12:35:15 PM »

Every once in a while if I go a real food bender my body is like WTF this is more calories than I'll need in a month and I can get woken up with it in the back of my throat.

It's worse when i'm on the higher side of my overweight thresholds...

Also lots of tomato based stuff can cause it.

Either way, to the MD with you.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »

I was pretty much going to write exactly what ATB wrote, but he wrote it. So, I won't.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »

Cool thanks guys. Since it's only here and there that it happens I'm going to try and curve my habits firsts and see if that makes a difference . If it strikes like that ever again, straight to the doc. Feels insanely better today thus far.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »

Drinking will cause me to get it, that's how I know when to stop drinking (Aside from the other obvious signs). Going cold turkey will be like night and day on your stomach. I don't smoke, so I can't speak to that.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »

I used to have a horrid case of this. Even woke up a few times gasping for air as acid worked it's way up my esophagus. I've lost 35 lbs this year and the problem is completely gone.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »

My problem is strictly alcohol, cigarette, and mostly food related... We just ate dinner and for the first time ever I stopped eating when I was full. Imagine that! I always used to eat until the food was gone... I'm 6 ft and 160 lbs and eat like I've been starved my whole life. Oh first world problems.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 21, 2014, 10:27:21 PM

I used to have a horrid case of this. Even woke up a few times gasping for air as acid worked it's way up my esophagus. I've lost 35 lbs this year and the problem is completely gone.

Same with me, except that I lost the weight 9 years ago and regained a lot of it. Started having heartburn again when my weight topped 190, and it's gone away again since I've dropped a few pounds. At least I know right where my trigger point is now.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: