http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:10:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC screwing up TiVO users  (Read 1557 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2004, 12:51:28 PM »

Like NBC last year with their supersized crap apparently ABC has decided to make their most popular shows non-standard length.  Last night TiVo had a big message for me saying that Lost, Desprite Housewives, and some others would no longer be normal lengths and I should modify my season passes to catch the full show.

I hate that crap!!  Are things like TiVo really hurting advertising sales?  Do they need to do this to actually stop viewers from watching what they want when they want?

I can't believe they think this is a good idea.  Look at who took the Emmys this year - 90% cable.  Maybe the 3 networks should look at what that says when trying to see why they are losing viewers and ad revenue!  

Oh well it isn't hard to set TiVo to record over time.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 01:01:20 PM »

I recently bought a second TIVO mostly to deal with crap like this.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 01:22:38 PM »

Yeah, I just noticed this by accident.  I'm hosed because I watch both Lost and West Wing, which airs right after on a competing station.  

I think that it's not that they don't want us to watch it at a different time, but rather that they don't want us skipping all them commercials.  If they can force us to watch it live, suddenly we have to watch the commercials, and they can continue to generate ad revenue.  If the advertisers know that a lot of people are Tivoing and skipping commercials, they won't pay.

I absolutely hate the practice.  It's a slap in the face and an indication that the networks are scared shitless about the growing number of PVR users.  The market is changing, and they don't want to have to change with it.

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 01:24:11 PM »

I already have Lost taping 1 minute longer because their clock doesn't seem to be completely in synch with ABC's - fortunately I had nothing being taped at 9 PM so it wasn't a big deal. But tonight I added FIVE minutes - try to screw with me, ABC? I DON'T THINK SO!

(having west coast feeds for my DirectTV helps clear up lots of logjams in recording - if I have conflicts, I can usually switch to east/west coast feed and fix my problems - that certainly helps things out).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 02:42:37 PM »

If TiVo is on the ball they will eventually come up with some way to combat this shit by the networks.  I don't know exactly what they can do but I am sure their could be something done.

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 03:13:00 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
If TiVo is on the ball they will eventually come up with some way to combat this shit by the networks.  I don't know exactly what they can do but I am sure their could be something done.

The first easy fix I'm sure is to extend the recording time if there's no conflict. Seems like that wouldn't be too difficult to implement. After that it gets messy.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Easily Satisfied
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 04:05:37 PM »

This is soo annoying. We changed ours last night after watching last week's LOST and missing the end of it. I was pretty enraged, since I was JUST getting into it. We now have it starting like a minute or two early and ending 5 minutes later.  Makes me cranky :x
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 04:09:47 PM »

One easy way would be to have a built in cable splitter.  I never understood why they didn't have one anyways.  That way at least you could watch and record different programs at the same time using just the TIVO.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »

Yeah, that works, except that the whole reason I have the Tivo is so that I don't have to watch shows live.  Personally, I'd much rather spend the evening doing something other than being chained to the TV, and watch the prime time shows when it's convenient for me.

Al
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 05:39:48 PM »

Yeah, it's pissing me off too since I'm in the same Lost/West Wing boat. Is there any way, besides setting it up manually, to set a season pass to start late instead of early?

Random Bookmark: something positive
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 05:42:48 PM »

Do you know what marketing people call all you folks?  Eyeballs.  They are losing eyeballs to Tivo, meaning they are losing ad revenue (fewer eyeballs mean fewer sales), therefore they must gain them back somehow.

Of course I could give two shits about 99% of TV programming so I don't have a Tivo, but I understand why you are all so upset.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 06:03:29 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Personally, I'd much rather spend the evening doing something other than being chained to the TV, and watch the prime time shows when it's convenient for me.

Bittorrent is your (questionably legal) friend.  That's all I'll say on the matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: