http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC's TV Series "Wipeout"...  (Read 2592 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:40:25 PM »

Have any of you seen this show on ABC?  I have seen it listed on our channel guide but I have never bothered to see what it is.  Yesterday morning our local radio station had one of the show's hosts on the air to talk about it and my curiosity was piqued.  My wife and I tuned in last night and I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard from a television show.

The show is hosted by John Henson (from E's Talk Soup) and John Anderson (ESPN's Sportscenter), and they feed off of each other perfectly.  24 contestants compete against each other in a series of obstacle courses and events working toward a $50,000 grand prize while the two Johns mock them mercilessly.  You also receive commentary from the field of battle with Jill Wagner from the television show Overhaulin', and some of her reactions to the epic crash-and-burns are just priceless.  The feel of the show is very MXC with just the right amount of amusing sound effects and voice dubbing.  The obstacle courses are clearly designed to facilitate epic crashes, splashes, and falls.  While the success of some of the competitors can be entertaining, it is the crashing and burning of the rest that really makes the show.  A typical highlight of the show are the "Big Balls."  They're part of the qualifying obstacle course.  Competitors have to jump from a platform onto a series of four giant, red, elastic balls, bouncing from one to the next, but inevitably things end badly.  I have seen competitors bounce from the first, flip upside down, ram into the second, bounce back into the first while upside down, and then splash into the water.  I have seen others make the first leap successfully only to hit the second ball awkwardly and then start the human plinko action all over again.  Then there are those who just bounce from the first and faceplant right into the second.   

While I think I should feel guilty about laughing at another's misfortune, I just can't help it.  Last night the sucker-punch wall looked like it almost knocked out a veterinarian-to-be and it also managed to cheap-shot a guy in the goodie-basket which needless to say resulted in glorious hilarity.  During the final obstacle course the giant spinning wheel nailed one guy and sent him into the pool of foam as if it were batting practice.  During the "crow bar" elimination challenge (a giant rotating bar with crows on it) a number of people face-planted into their platforms.  All remaining competitors stand on platforms arranged in a circle and they must jump over a rotating bar as it continues to move faster and raise higher each time around.  At least five or six people had their feet taken out from under them and they lip-skidded right off their platform, one even took the bar square across their body as they mis-timed their jump.  At one point a woman bounced off of her platform, on her lips, and the camera had conveniently panned to the other competitors and the looks on their faces were priceless.   

If any of you enjoy laughing at hilarious mishaps, you owe it to yourself to check it out.  Wipeout is on Tuesday nights for an hour and I can confirm that no matter how many face-plants you see on the "Big Balls", they never stop being funny.  Probably in part due to the variety in which people crash and burn.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »

My wife and I love it.  It's like a live action version of a platforming game.  The Big Balls are always a hilarious highlight.

We don't want any gameshows or any reality TV but this has turned into a must watch for us. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »

Sounds more fun than American Gladiators at the very least for whatever reason.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:45:53 PM »

I could watch a half hour episode of just the big balls. My wife and I are very much fans fo the show. The commentary is perfect.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 30, 2008, 07:43:15 PM

American Gladiators is a fine show, you just need to find the mute button. I could watch Crush, Jet and Phoenix all night.  drool

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 30, 2008, 07:43:15 PM

Wipeout blows American Gladiators out of the water, at least in terms of entertainment value, mainly because it doesn't at all take itself seriously.  For one, the interviews are kept short.  The lengthy, idiotic interviews and stupid questions posed to the competitors on American Gladiators ruined it for me.  Wipeout not only keeps this to a bare minimum, but the commentators use any information provided in the interviews for merciless mockery.  

The obstacle courses are ruthless.  They're set up purposefully to create situations of hilarity.  Epic crashes, awkward falls, hysterical ricochets.  They're all due to the strategic placement of the various obstacles.  

If you can stomach American Gladiators (it was way too cheesy for me), you must check out Wipeout.  You'll never go back.  American Gladiators was never this funny.  

My wife and I laughed for an entire hour.  And I'm not talking little giggles and light chuckles.  I'm talking guffaws from the depths of your guts.  Great stuff.

While Wipeout may not have the hot chick factor, it has fat people bouncing off of giant balls and then crashing into the water.  How can that not be entertaining? 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »

I watched a few episodes but don't much anymore. The reason is that as funny as watching people wipe out is, I think I prefer the shows of this type where the stunts are challenging but actually have a chance of being completed, and the contestants are actual athletes or at least wannabe athletes. Too many stunts on the show (like the big balls and the punching wall) are well-nigh impossible, and the contestants are better off just skipping them entirely. And too many of the contestants are just losers who they pick to be on TV who have no chance in hell of actually ever getting through the thing.

I guess to me it's akin to watching people play a videogame that has been engineered to be impossible to beat. While watching them die repeatedly might be fun for a little while, at some point I'd like to see people with skill actually overcome the challenge.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »

If you want to watch the inspiration for this show, you should watch Ninja Warrior on G4 and MXC on Spike.  My wife and I tried watching Wipeout because we watch the other two pretty regularly, and the commentary just falls flat, IMO.  Watch MXC for what hilarious commentary should be.  Granted, it's made up for American audiences, but I'm sure it's no less scripted than Wipeout's.

Rick
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:07:51 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 30, 2008, 07:57:27 PM

I watched a few episodes but don't much anymore. The reason is that as funny as watching people wipe out is, I think I prefer the shows of this type where the stunts are challenging but actually have a chance of being completed, and the contestants are actual athletes or at least wannabe athletes. Too many stunts on the show (like the big balls and the punching wall) are well-nigh impossible, and the contestants are better off just skipping them entirely. And too many of the contestants are just losers who they pick to be on TV who have no chance in hell of actually ever getting through the thing.

I guess to me it's akin to watching people play a videogame that has been engineered to be impossible to beat. While watching them die repeatedly might be fun for a little while, at some point I'd like to see people with skill actually overcome the challenge.

Actually, last night there were a few athletic competitors who tore through the courses, making it almost look easy.  A kindergarten teacher finished the qualifying course in something like just over a minute.  He also finished the final course in 6 minutes to the leader's 16.  I doubt I could watch the show all the time, but it was certainly a nice, amusing break last night.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:08:45 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 30, 2008, 08:04:32 PM

If you want to watch the inspiration for this show, you should watch Ninja Warrior on G4 and MXC on Spike.  My wife and I tried watching Wipeout because we watch the other two pretty regularly, and the commentary just falls flat, IMO.  Watch MXC for what hilarious commentary should be.  Granted, it's made up for American audiences, but I'm sure it's no less scripted than Wipeout's

Right you are, Ken.

Wipeout seems pretty bland after the hilarity that is MXC.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 30, 2008, 07:52:36 PM

Wipeout blows American Gladiators out of the water, at least in terms of entertainment value, mainly because it doesn't at all take itself seriously.  For one, the interviews are kept short.  The lengthy, idiotic interviews and stupid questions posed to the competitors on American Gladiators ruined it for me.  Wipeout not only keeps this to a bare minimum, but the commentators use any information provided in the interviews for merciless mockery.

my biggest problem with American Gladiators now is that they've chosen to include stupid interviews and lame trash talk by the competitors rather than show all of the events.  giving updates on the results of events not aired because they wasted time talking is just sad for a show with so little substance in the first place.  people tune in for the events, not talking heads...producers don't seem to get that though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »

When I saw the previews I thought this was mindless summer filler and I was pretty much right except that it is hilarious and we love it.  For me it's the commentary and the effects way  more than the actual wipeouts (though those are good too).

And by the way, you undersold the giant rotating crow bar..it was actually a malicious smoking crowbar.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »

I've been watching 'Wipeout' this summer, and yes, it's a very funny show. It was about time someone brought that brand of Japanese game show to America. I've also been watching the show that comes right after: 'I Survived A Japanese Game Show'. That's one's pretty funny too.

Maybe we should have some people from here apply to next summer's season. Can you imagine?  icon_twisted
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 08:48:32 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 30, 2008, 08:08:45 PM

Right you are, Ken.

Wipeout seems pretty bland after the hilarity that is MXC.

Whoa, Vic.  I just saw some panties!  Tongue

They just don't know what they're missing if they think Wipeout's commentary is funny...
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 08:59:38 PM »

The old lady and I are really digging this show.  She absolutely loves watching contestants fly at random angles off the big balls.  I really like the different looks the course has each week and the nicknames the Johns come up with for the contestants.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:33:40 PM »

My wife and six-year old are addicted to Wipeout right now, as well as the show that comes on afterwards (I Survived a Japanese Game Show).
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »

I like it so much I DVR it so I can skip commercials. My favorite is the BIG BALLS haha. plinko with humans. And the jump is cool too. I think the spinner on the final part is cool but overall that part could be tougher.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »

It sounds and looks like a dumbed down version of Ninja Warrior from Japan....and WAY easier looking from the commercials too, I might add....if you want to see something better...check out ninja warrior....or unbeatable banzuke.  I think is the new one they do now.  Not sure.

I love Ninja warrior though, and refuse to watch Wipeout.

As a side note to stupid tv....G4 is running a show called Hurl....where people eat stupid amounts of food, they are made to do things that might not be so good for your stomach....eeww....<shudder>

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »

Quote from: GGMark on July 31, 2008, 06:51:28 PM

It sounds and looks like a dumbed down version of Ninja Warrior from Japan....and WAY easier looking from the commercials too, I might add....if you want to see something better...check out ninja warrior....or unbeatable banzuke.  I think is the new one they do now.  Not sure.

I love Ninja warrior though, and refuse to watch Wipeout.

Watch MXC on Spike for the comedy.  They have some brilliant writers for the dialog between the hosts.  And before you say anything, you know the shit on Wipeout is written as well.  That shit is not live.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

so whats the point in watching a show where people compete, and its all scripted?  whats really the point?

*edit*

Color me confused...it seems we were both sticking up for Ninja Warrior.....

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »

Quote from: GGMark on July 31, 2008, 07:33:35 PM

so whats the point in watching a show where people compete, and its all scripted?  whats really the point?

The competition is not scripted.  In the example of MXC, they take excerpts of a Japanese game show and splice it to make a fake show with English dialogue.  Watch it and tell me it's not entertaining.

Quote from: GGMark on July 31, 2008, 07:33:35 PM

*edit*

Color me confused...it seems we were both sticking up for Ninja Warrior.....

We are.  If you find my post above, I mentioned Ninja Warrior too.  But that's a straight up competition.  The people talking about Wipeout are also saying that the exchange between the hosts is funny, and I say that MXC is much better at that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:39:02 PM by rickfc » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 12:52:48 AM »

Wipeout is back on tv again. And I have to say the people who are contestants on these shows SUCK! I could do these things in my sleep at my age and lack of health. at age 17 i would have won 17 shows in one day. geez these people SUCK.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »

Caught some of this over the winter when they did reruns apparently. Some funny cringe-worthy stuff on there. Definitely some entertaining viewing.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 02:12:30 AM »

I missed the first half hour so I missed my favorite part with the bouncy globes.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 02:41:54 AM »

Seems better than the first couple episodes from last season, but I still prefer MXC. Nothing beats the Spinning Surfboard of Death.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 03:30:43 AM »

nothing beast mxc for this type o show, imo.  best commentary, best competitors (where else would you get people degrading themselves so much for so little?) and the obstacles are awesome in both difficulty and cringe-inducing potential. 

it's similar to how japansese iron chef > american iron chef.  that extra level of quirk we cannot pull off without coming off fake.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »

I watched this show for the first time last night and couldn't stop laughing. I love how they "nickname" everyone.

Many moons ago I did a canoe race in Bangor, ME for multiple years. (The race starts in Kenduskeag and ends down in Bangor)

One particular year my buddy and I crashed and flipped in the rapids. The race is in April so all I can say is that the water is wicked cold. (Yeah I said wicked)
The look on the "Trash Talker's" face during his final run last night is the same look my buddy had while I finished the race alone while he shivered for the last mile and a half in the boat. (The race is 16 1/2 miles)

You should have seen the look on the rescue guy's face when we lifted a partially submerged canoe out of the water outside a set of rapids and got back in.
He was in a wetsuit ready to throw us a line. I'll never forget either of those faces for as long as I live.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 04:27:16 PM »

Jacob Mann's Greatest Hits!

Although, Ariel "Where's The Pole?" Tweto is still our favorite
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:34:02 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 28, 2009, 03:30:43 AM

nothing beast mxc for this type o show, imo.  best commentary, best competitors (where else would you get people degrading themselves so much for so little?) and the obstacles are awesome in both difficulty and cringe-inducing potential. 

it's similar to how japansese iron chef > american iron chef.  that extra level of quirk we cannot pull off without coming off fake.

This, right here.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 01:06:30 AM »

been watching the UK version(ours is called Total Wipeout) a few months ago,not sure if its in the American Version but there is a wall of boxing gloves on poles,that don't half deliver a sucker punch

the Big Balls are funny,you would think someone would figure how to get across them by now,but i have yet to see it

tell a lie,it has been done...all though very boringly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufc030OfmE0

and it all reminds me of Takeshi's castle(whether that is our name or Japans name for your Ninja Warrior i dont know)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 01:38:19 AM »

The American version does have the wall of boxing gloves and it must be dialed up with more force than the UK version because contestants have gotten clocked in the face, head and groin with enough force to send them flying into the mud pit. Pure comedy gold.

I recall one, maybe two, people last season making it across the big balls by running Super Mario style.

Last night I was in tears laughing during the gyro-sweeper round when it was down to the last two guy. One guy was yelling "It's coming for you!" at the other guy, then he yells "jump, bitch! jump, bitch!". The other guy jumped, only the end of the bar had rotated to the highest position so he had to duck instead of jump. The bar clocked him and sent him flying far enough to slam into the next platform then into the water. Utterly hilarious.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 02:35:24 AM »

Normally, I wouldn't find jokes about balls and people falling down funny, but I love this show.  The hosts' commentary turns what would have been mildly amusing into something hilarious.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 02:45:32 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on May 29, 2009, 01:38:19 AM

The American version does have the wall of boxing gloves and it must be dialed up with more force than the UK version because contestants have gotten clocked in the face, head and groin with enough force to send them flying into the mud pit. Pure comedy gold.

yeah thats what i meant,it doesnt half smack 'em one...funnier still when its early 20 something skinny females ...BAM right in the face!!..even the overweight fat dads isnt as funny as them

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 02:47:51 AM »

And not one mention of Jill Wagner
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 03:18:12 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 29, 2009, 01:06:30 AM

been watching the UK version(ours is called Total Wipeout) a few months ago,not sure if its in the American Version but there is a wall of boxing gloves on poles,that don't half deliver a sucker punch

the Big Balls are funny,you would think someone would figure how to get across them by now,but i have yet to see it

tell a lie,it has been done...all though very boringly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufc030OfmE0

and it all reminds me of Takeshi's castle(whether that is our name or Japans name for your Ninja Warrior i dont know)

two people have crossed on the US show (the balls) that I've seen so far, one was slow and boring the other very fun to watch.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 03:23:52 AM »

By far my favorite episode was when Jill said some guy didn't do very good at the final challenge and he said something like 'it's not easy, like you can do better'  so she did the course and kicked every time record any contestant had done up until then.  was pure gold.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 04:43:19 AM »

Just watched it from the website.  Entertaining in the extreme.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 06:17:30 PM »

Season preview tonight!

Regular season starts the 22nd!

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »

Woohoo! Love this show.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »

Wipeout is my most anticipated show of the summer TV season. So full of gut-busting laugh out loud moments. This season looks even more entertaining with a lot of new obstacles and themes, like medieval Wipeout, pirate Wipeout, and tonight, couples Wipeout.

And Jill Wagner is awesomely hot. drool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: