http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 05:16:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A write in poll - what do your save names look like?  (Read 335 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »

So as I started playing CoH2 I saved my game and realized that I might be a little odd in my naming convention.  In this case, "M1X1" designates Mission 1, First Expansion.  What do your save names look like? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »

FVD1, based on my initials.

A new one
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »

00000001.sav, followed by 00000002 and so on. Note the 8.3 format. I still don't trust Windows and its fancy long filenames.

I started my 115th game of Civ 5 last night.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »

Depends on the game, but usually I just name it the easiest thing possible, like "save 1" or something.  I've found that I very rarely go back to anything but the most recent, so it's just a matter of making sure I can find that one.  Which is generally easy in modern games that actually tell you timestamps on saves.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:08:40 PM »

For most games, I rotate between 3 saves, ergo, "1", "2", and "3".

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »

if the game lets me name saves it's usually 'beg' for beginning, and that gets used for the most of the game unless there is a choice coming up, then I create a save game named 'choice'.  if I suspect there is a choice at the end I create one called 'end' so I can quickly backtrack.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »

I only ever have one save in a game that lets you save and it's my first name.  Never had an issue with one save (and now games have multiple autosaves and such, so it really doesn't come up much).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »

I'm a little more relaxed on saving now, but I used to save constantly.  In any game, the first chance I got to save (after cutscenes, obligatory character waking up in bed scene, and "..." dialogue moments), I would save my first game "START".

After that, it would depend on the game.  For a game like CoH, I would use M1 for mission 1, but then start a bizarre series of follow up numbers, depending on where I was in the mission.  I could get to the point of having M1 IIAiiic (and sometime even tossing in a note like "Go Right" if the saving system would let me.  For a game like Baldurs Gate, it would usually be a little more specific like "Head to INN" or "Find CAVE" or something, but this could also get numbers tossed onto the end (Find CAVE II, etc).

The worst thing about this number system, was that I did it so that I could work my way back through a series of choices to get back to where any mistake I'd made might have started, but by the time I would actually ever need to do that, there's no way I'd actually remember what each of those meant.  I kept up with the system but wound up never using it.  Still helped if there was a freeze or error or something.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 05, 2013, 08:55:36 PM

So as I started playing CoH2 I saved my game and realized that I might be a little odd in my naming convention.  In this case, "M1X1" designates Mission 1, First Expansion.  What do your save names look like? 

Fire and destruction effects are beautiful, no? biggrin I also love the effect of the tank treads on ice. nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »

Game, New Game, Another New Game, I may have messed this one up, Eff this Game, among other things.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 05:30:19 PM »

They vary and they're honestly all over the road map, but they always include at least a sequence number. One thing though, I never have spaces in them - I began computing when that was verboten on too many OS's and never did adapt to allowing them.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 06, 2013, 09:12:40 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 05, 2013, 08:55:36 PM

Fire and destruction effects are beautiful, no? biggrin I also love the effect of the tank treads on ice. nod

30 bucks?  Great game at twice the price.  biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

hi, hi1, hi2, hi3, etc

save game names were much more elaborate for Sierra adventures, but that was a quarter of a century ago...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: