http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 01:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A real time traveler?  (Read 2602 times)
vizionblind
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »

seen this on the news too. thoughts? WATCH THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU&feature=share

I mean, there were no cell phone towers back then so it cant be a cell phone..... Also, why does the footage stop when he stares at the camera? lets see him walk away too
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:57:25 PM by vizionblind » Logged
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »

Quote from: vizionblind on October 28, 2010, 02:46:01 PM

seen this on the news too. thoughts? WATCH THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU&feature=share

I mean, there were no cell phone towers back then so it cant be a cell phone..... Also, why does the footage stop when he stares at the camera? lets see him walk away too

Saw this earlier on consumerist.com.  It really looks odd...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:05:15 PM »

If you can time travel, don't you think your mobile phones will be built into a tiny little earpiece, instead of a clunky handset?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 28, 2010, 03:05:15 PM

If you can time travel, don't you think your mobile phones will be built into a tiny little earpiece, instead of a clunky handset?
That could be the new retro for the future.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »

While I certainly find this to be extremely odd, and have no real explanation for what is taking place, I do have a few issues with logic.

One, I doubt he can be speaking with anyone in the future, primarily because how can one have a conversation with a person who does not exist yet?

Two, a cellular phone would not work without cellular towers.  Granted, it could be a more advanced device not depending on cell towers, but then I have to go back to my first point, that he would not be communicating with someone who does not exist yet.

That leaves me with wondering if he could be communicating with someone else who is also there with him at the same time period.  But, then we're left wondering if the device is a cell phone, which would not work in that time period, or some other type of communication device not requiring cell towers for communication transmission.

Certainly extremely odd and practically impossible to explain, but we're unfortunately left with more questions than answers.   disgust

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 28, 2010, 03:26:46 PM

While I certainly find this to be extremely odd, and have no real explanation for what is taking place, I do have a few issues with logic.

One, I doubt he can be speaking with anyone in the future, primarily because how can one have a conversation with a person who does not exist yet?

Two, a cellular phone would not work without cellular towers.  Granted, it could be a more advanced device not depending on cell towers, but then I have to go back to my first point, that he would not be communicating with someone who does not exist yet.

That leaves me with wondering if he could be communicating with someone else who is also there with him at the same time period.  But, then we're left wondering if the device is a cell phone, which would not work in that time period, or some other type of communication device not requiring cell towers for communication transmission.

Certainly extremely odd and practically impossible to explain, but we're unfortunately left with more questions than answers.   disgust

This.

There's a point right when the image is fading into the next shot where her index finger moves into the space where the phone should be.  It's easier to see in one of the slow-mo close-ups, right around the 3:35 mark.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:38:22 PM by rickfc » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »

Would be cool if it was a timetraveller, although I doubt it.

I wonder how people would react, if it was more or less proven to be a timetraveller?

A new one
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »

Are we not going to even consider the option that this person is just bat-shit crazy and talking to themselves? I mean... it's Hollywood.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 28, 2010, 03:40:52 PM

Are we not going to even consider the option that this person is just bat-shit crazy and talking to themselves? I mean... it's Hollywood.

Stop talking to yourself ms.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »

I think the comments on the link about the hearing aid make the most sense, but it sure does seem like she's talking into the thing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 28, 2010, 03:40:52 PM

Bingo. cukoo cukoo.

morlac00 on PSN
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 28, 2010, 03:26:46 PM

Simple: time is not a straight line, but like a corkscrew wound around a linear axis.  That axis is always turning, driving events from one moment to the next, and the progression *seems* straight and unwavering because the bends of the corkscrew never intersect with each other.  However, if you can bridge the gap from one arc to another, you could begin "jumping the track" to interact with and even visit other points on the corkscrew.  

In other words, that woman was not talking with someone who didn't exist yet; her time phone was sending a signal to a nearby temporal arc where the other person already existed.  It's just like using your cellphone to establish a connection to a place where the other person exists, except bullshit.

-Autistic Angel
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »

So if he/she is talking into this futuristic device, why is the guy in front walking along as if nothing out of the ordinary is happening? If I were him I'd probably turn around and say "Pardon, are you talking to me? Say! What is that fancy gizmo?". Similarly, why is the supposed time traveler being so cavalier about it when there's not only a person three feet away, but a camera in the process of taping a Zebrahorse?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:49:22 PM by heloder » Logged
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

It is fake I see no delorean anywhere in that shot.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »

Eventually everything will be invented. Time travel is only absurd to most humans right now. Eventually, it will be possible. How else are you going to get an iphone5 on launch day without a pre-order?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »

Time travel will never be invented. How do I know? Because if it is invented in the future we would already know about it unless you believe that every single person who has ever time traveled to a point in time before our present either was never seen/discovered or forgotten about/concealed. Sorry to burst your bubbles, folks.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 28, 2010, 05:31:51 PM

Time travel will never be invented. How do I know? Because if it is invented in the future we would already know about it unless you believe that every single person who has ever time traveled to a point in time before our present either was never seen/discovered or forgotten about/concealed. Sorry to burst your bubbles, folks.

Isn't that what we're discussing now. Someone slipping up and getting caught on camera? I doubt it will be commonplace and I'm sure it will be difficult and probably regulated (yeah I know we're getting into Timecop territory now but...) and obviously insurmountably expensive.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:27 PM »

Quote from: envy24 on October 28, 2010, 04:52:17 PM

It is fake I see no delorean anywhere in that shot.
This.  icon_smile

Besides, it's ME in the shot. I traveled back in time and put that there just so that schmuck could get his 3.5 seconds of Internet era fame. Aren't I thoughtful?  smirk

Seriously, it could be anything. The guy could be talking into a carved bar of soap for all we know. It's fun, and I'm a sucker for time travel in anything, but there's really no way of knowing if it's something or nothing.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 28, 2010, 03:50:30 PM

I think the comments on the link about the hearing aid make the most sense, but it sure does seem like she's talking into the thing.

yeah the comments suggest that it is a 1924 Siemens hearing aid

i think i prefer the 'mobile phone being used by a time travelling Transvestite' answer better though icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »

So hearing Aide + crazy old man/lady.   Case closed?

.....Or just maybe it's a couple of Time Bandits with one sitting on top of the other's shoulders undere that coat.

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/tb_004Theater.jpg

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »

Yeah, you have to think what is the easiest and most logical explanation?  Is it that somebody traveled back in time and is talking on some sort of crazy future cell phone, or is it more likely that she has a hearing aid, handkerchief or something of similar size cupped in her hand?  It is nonsense to make the logical leap to being a time traveler.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:22 PM »

That sound exactly like something a time traveler would say to hid his tracks.

lynch ralph wiggum

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:35 PM »

almost looks like she knows the camera is there and is trying to hide her face from the camera while muttering to herself slywink
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »

How come no one has come up with the most obvious answer?  It's an alien!  With all the UFO sightings lately, I wouldn't be surprised that they are coming back to see how we progressed!  ninja
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on October 28, 2010, 10:01:01 PM

With all the UFO sightings lately, I wouldn't be surprised that they are coming back to see how we progressed!  ninja

When they see these reports they will be disappointed in our progress.  Very sad indeed.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 28, 2010, 09:51:35 PM

almost looks like she knows the camera is there and is trying to hide her face from the camera while muttering to herself slywink

Except for that part where she looks right at the camera at the end and doesn't look around in a panic then touch a concealed button on her hat brim and dematerialize.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 11:06:01 PM »

I love the internet.

5 seconds of crazy old lady in a old piece of film to time traveler in a blink of an eye.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »

Your logic has one major flaw.  You contradict it immediately with  what you wrote after "unless you believe"  It is possible that time travellers cant be seen, perhaps they are out of phase with our time, perhaps they are seen but not recognized for what they are such as ghost sightings.  Maybe those blurry sightings are out of phase time travellers.  Maybe its possible to travel back in time but impossible to interact with the time line in any way.  Maybe when time travel is invented so are cloaking devices.  Maybe the only way to travel through time is by sending your consciousness back into someone else's body and they have no knowledge of it ( yeah they did that on Warehouse 13 )  Anyway, my point is that having no proof that something exists is not proof that it doesnt.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 06:37:12 AM »

Christ, even the BBC has run with this nonsense now!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »

I hadn't heard this possibility yet:

What if it is a hearing aid and she's singing along to music? I do that alone, and only alone, all the time.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 03:31:19 AM »

He said no-one has been able to provide an explanation.

Ummm.....yes they have. There have been numerous examples of hearing aids in use at that time that resembled the square shape of a mobile phone. Or she's just cupping her hand to shield her face. Or any number of easily rational explanations that don't involve time travel.

At first I thought it was an amusing story, but the more articles I see and the more I see this douchebag defending his time travel theory, the angrier I get.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 03:42:39 AM »

Those old hearing aids only exist because someone was sent back in time to invent them because they knew that time travelling lady got caught on film and needed a coverup.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 03:50:49 AM »

Its very obviously to me not a time traveler. Seriously, you can't hardly see what she's holding up to her ear. it's like a hearing aid.. if there's anything there. Lastly, with no cell phone towers in existence in 1928, a cell phone wouldn't work. And why would a time traveller allow herself to be openly captured in film? You would think a time traveler would be extremely careful not to walk into a film set while on sort of 'mission'. This is obviously nonsense.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 04:04:29 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on October 30, 2010, 03:50:49 AM

Lastly, with no cell phone towers in existence in 1928, a cell phone wouldn't work.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally.  Sure, there aren't any cell phone towers there and then, but in the time traveller's original time there are plenty of transtemporal towers in that neighborhood.  Sure, an ordinary time phone in 1928 would have a hard time reaching that far in the future, but if we boost the Bakula-Stockwell enhancers it just...might...work.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2010, 04:04:29 AM

Lastly, with no cell phone towers in existence in 1928, a cell phone wouldn't work.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally.  Sure, there aren't any cell phone towers there and then, but in the time traveller's original time there are plenty of transtemporal towers in that neighborhood.  Sure, an ordinary time phone in 1928 would have a hard time reaching that far in the future, but if we boost the Bakula-Stockwell enhancers it just...might...work.

i was gonna ask who the hell is she talking to,so you think s/he is trapped in time and has to do meaningless tasks(go to a premier of a Charlie Chaplin film) to 'jump'?..i like that idea!!!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 30, 2010, 09:46:55 AM

i was gonna ask who the hell is she talking to,so you think s/he is trapped in time and has to do meaningless tasks(go to a premier of a Charlie Chaplin film) to 'jump'?..i like that idea!!!

In our previous timeline, Margaret Hayworth and George Rockwell met and fell in love at that movie premier, and later gave birth to Ronnie Rockwell, the horrible bastard who in 1976 sank South America and started World War 3.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 30, 2010, 02:28:01 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 30, 2010, 09:46:55 AM

In our previous timeline, Margaret Hayworth and George Rockwell met and fell in love at that movie premier, and later gave birth to Ronnie Rockwell, the horrible bastard who in 1976 sank South America and started World War 3.

You promised not to mention his name until we returned, wp.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »

wait.. it's 3:50pm where MO is but it's only 10:50 am here....

OMG MO IS FROM THE FUTURE!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 05:23:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2010, 02:51:09 PM

wait.. it's 3:50pm where MO is but it's only 10:50 am here....

OMG MO IS FROM THE FUTURE!

lynch MO

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »

er... paranoid i think Raz is a little in the future more than me....so,er...GET HIM!!! icon_cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: