http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:20:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Game of Thrones!  (Read 1165 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »

Thank you all very much for recommending Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

I am about half way through A Game of Thrones and I absolutely love it. 

I appreciate the recommendation!

Eco

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »

I would recommend stopping (for now) after Storm of Swords.  It's an absolutely fantastic book and is a pretty satisfying conclusion to what could be seen as the "first trilogy" of ASOIAF.  Then wait for Martin to make some progress with the rest of the series before continuing on. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:13:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 01, 2008, 02:09:44 PM

Then wait for Martin to make some progress with the rest of the series before continuing on. 

Or wait for him to pass on and then some ghost writer who is actually interested in spending time writing to take over.

I'm not bitter... much. frown

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »

If you bring down the curse of Jordan on him, I will hunt you down and scatter your limbs to the four corners of the world.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 01, 2008, 03:35:33 PM

If you bring down the curse of Jordan on him, I will hunt you down and scatter your limbs to the four corners of the world.

at least it would guarantee an end to the series  icon_wink  seriously though, I'm waiting for the final book to come out before I read more.  I figure I'll have to re-read the whole series anyways by the time it ends in probably 10 years, so I might as well read them then.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »

Go order Longclaw..

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »

I'm not worried about Martin's health but I do get the sense that he has kind of lost interest in the series.  When you look at his resume prior to starting ASOIAF, it was enormously varied in terms of genre (sci-fi, fantasy, horror), format (short stories and novel), and even media (writing for TV) so it's not surprising to me that Martin may start to chafe at the commitment writing an seven volume fat fantasy series requires.  
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 01, 2008, 03:45:26 PM

I'm not worried about Martin's health but I do get the sense that he has kind of lost interest in the series.  When you look at his resume prior to starting ASOIAF, it was enormously varied in terms of genre (sci-fi, fantasy, horror), format (short stories and novel), and even media (writing for TV) so it's not surprising to me that Martin may start to chafe at the commitment writing an seven volume fat fantasy series requires.  

It's his own fault, in a way.

It was originally supposed to be 6 books, and he decided to bridge the gap between books 3 and 4, took a supposedly almost finished book, split it in two, and got stuck on BOTH parts.  Genius!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »

It's not like he's not working...

August 15, 2008
SONGS OF THE DYING EARTH, the Jack Vance tribute anthology that I'm co-editing with Gardner Dozois, has been moving ahead rapidly, and we expect to deliver the complete manuscript to our publishers within the next six weeks.

JUST RELEASED...
THE HEDGE KNIGHT II: SWORN SWORD 
Marvel HC 2008 (US)

JUST RELEASED...
STARLADY/FAST-FRIEND
Subterranean Press 2008 (US)

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »

Yeah, Martin seems far more interested in his side projects, sports, and going to conventions than he is in actually writing and finishing his, arguably, most popular series.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 09:12:52 PM »

Unfortunately, writing isn't like ditch digging.  I'd be more upset with him if it wasn't a quality series that I wanted him to deliver a quality effort. 

That being said, his lack of progress is one of the reasons that I own but have not yet read book 4. 

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 09:16:24 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 01, 2008, 09:12:52 PM

Unfortunately, writing isn't like ditch digging.  I'd be more upset with him if it wasn't a quality series that I wanted him to deliver a quality effort. 

That being said, his lack of progress is one of the reasons that I own but have not yet read book 4. 

Yeah, but when the lack of progress comes from doing all sorts of other stuff while writing a book that he had a good bit written of before he decided to split original book 4 into books 4 and 5, you start to wonder what's really going on.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 09:19:21 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 01, 2008, 09:00:30 PM

Yeah, Martin seems far more interested in his side projects, sports, and going to conventions than he is in actually writing and finishing his, arguably, most popular series.

If I'd written three amazing and well-loved books in a series (I haven't read book 4 yet so I can't comment on it) and I had several still to write I'd be damn nervous.  If you continue to write amazing books in the series, people will expect it.  If it's even slightly less amazing then people will turn on you with nerd rage.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 01, 2008, 09:19:21 PM

If I'd written three amazing and well-loved books in a series (I haven't read book 4 yet so I can't comment on it) and I had several still to write I'd be damn nervous.  If you continue to write amazing books in the series, people will expect it.  If it's even slightly less amazing then people will turn on you with nerd rage.

It doesn't help that the fourth book widely seems to be perceived as the weakest in the series so far.  I know I would hate being expected to top Storm of Swords. 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 10:03:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 01, 2008, 09:49:17 PM

Quote from: warning on October 01, 2008, 09:19:21 PM

It doesn't help that the fourth book widely seems to be perceived as the weakest in the series so far.  I know I would hate being expected to top Storm of Swords. 

I haven't read the fourth book yet.  But, maybe Martin made a mistake in going back to write about a time frame he never intended to fully cover, and he's struggling to rectify the mistake?  Perhaps if he had stuck with the 5-year gap, wrote book 4 like he originally intended, things wouldn't have unraveled so spectacularly?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: