http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 09:59:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few nerdy Star Wars questions  (Read 3639 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 01:22:46 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 29, 2008, 01:19:18 PM

Where was it said that Anakin was a virgin birth?  I don't remember that.

Everything Palpatine said to Anakin seemed like a load of crap designed to string him along, so I never put much faith in it.

Anakin's own mother said as much in Episode 1, when she talked to Qui-Gon Jin.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 29, 2008, 01:19:18 PM

Where was it said that Anakin was a virgin birth?  I don't remember that.

Everything Palpatine said to Anakin seemed like a load of crap designed to string him along, so I never put much faith in it.

The virgin birth of Anakin is confirmed by his mother in Episode I when Qui-Gon inquires about the whereabouts of his father. You're absolutely right about Palpatine stringing along Anakin, virtually all his actions in relation to him were made to secure him as his new apprentice.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »

Timely xkcd

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on August 29, 2008, 09:41:22 AM

It is a good question as to why Vader didn't attempt to assassinate Palpatine earlier, though. Clearly from the beginning when he turned and was talking to Padme on Mustafar he was thinking of overthrowing him.

maybe he will in Force Unleashed....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »

It is a good question as to why Vader didn't attempt to assassinate Palpatine earlier, though. Clearly from the beginning when he turned and was talking to Padme on Mustafar he was thinking of overthrowing him. And Palpatine told Yoda that Vader would be more powerful than either of them. Vader either didn't realize his potential power or he did and perhaps it was the "good in him" that he wasn't able to become the master.

I think it was finding out he had a son that maybe finally triggered it.  Force Unleashed has him having an apprentice, so not sure how that fits in the Rule of Two or if the apprentice in Force Unleashed is an attempt to get rid of Palpatine.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »

In the intro video for the demo to Force Unleashed when Vader sends his new apprentice on a mission he states pretty explicitly that the Emperor must not find out about his existence.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 04:25:50 AM »

There are no nerdy Star Wars questions, there are only nerdy Star Wars answers. icon_lol

It is a good question as to why Vader didn't attempt to assassinate Palpatine earlier, though. Clearly from the beginning when he turned and was talking to Padme on Mustafar he was thinking of overthrowing him. And Palpatine told Yoda that Vader would be more powerful than either of them. Vader either didn't realize his potential power or he did and perhaps it was the "good in him" that he wasn't able to become the master.

I think Anakin/Vader started off with more potential power than Palpatine, but George's abomination of midichlorians means the loss of Vader's fungus-rich extremeties hampered his power levels.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2008, 04:50:07 AM »

I had no idea that Palpy or maybe his master had "made" Anakin through manipulation of the Force until I read it here.  Where did you guys pick up on that tidbit from?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008, 05:06:51 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 29, 2008, 02:59:23 PM

Force Unleashed has him having an apprentice, so not sure how that fits in the Rule of Two
Thing about the sith, they're not too big on rules slywink. Obviously the rule is broken with Asajj Ventress (Count Dooku's apprentice) in the original clone wars cartoons and now the clone war movie. I haven't read any of the books (reading Star Wars is odd to me for some reason) but they break the hell out of the rule, with a whole bunch of force-users being used by the emperor.

Quote from: leo8877 on August 31, 2008, 04:50:07 AM

I had no idea that Palpy or maybe his master had "made" Anakin through manipulation of the Force until I read it here.  Where did you guys pick up on that tidbit from?
In Episode 1, Qui-Gon Jinn asked Anakin's mother who Anakin's father was. She said there was no father and that she couldn't explain it, but that she was just all of a sudden pregnant.

Then in Episode 3, Anakin is talking to Palpatine in that opera house place. Palps tells him of Darth Plagus, who was presumably Palpy's master (considering Palp smiled coyly when he told Anakin that Plagus' apprentice killed him in his sleep). Palpatine said that Plagus was so powerful that he was able to manipulate the force to create life.

So ya put 2 and 2 together, and there's your possible explanation. I don't think Lucas has said that's how Anakin was "made" for sure, but it makes sense, considering how strong with the force Anakin is.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 05:22:04 AM »

Ah I never even though to put those two convos together.  I take it then Sidious had to idea about Anakin until chance united them?  Otherwise he was just left to rot on a backwater planet.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »

Or that Sidious created Anakin in a long drawn out plot.  I mean, the best way to take on the Jedi order is to have one on the inside, what better than a young impressionable Anakin Skywalker?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »

I just did a bit of research on Anakin's creation, and came across this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis

According to that article, Darth Plagueis was the one who created Anakin without Palpatine's knowing. Palpatine never learned the secrets of creating life.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 12:21:02 PM »

That's a wiki.  Unless you see information inside the actual lucasfilm database, it's likely just fan conjecture.  Like wikipedia, anyone can edit those wikis at any time.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2008, 12:28:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 31, 2008, 12:21:02 PM

That's a wiki.  Unless you see information inside the actual lucasfilm database, it's likely just fan conjecture.  Like wikipedia, anyone can edit those wikis at any time.

Except that they're actually referring to sources multiple times in the paragraph that covers this discussion.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 31, 2008, 05:22:04 AM

I take it then Sidious had to idea about Anakin until chance united them?  Otherwise he was just left to rot on a backwater planet.
We don't know. That's why I think it was Palp's master that created Anakin, because I don't think Palps would have let Anakin be if he had created him. But we really don't know if the Emperor watched Anakin at all during the first several years of Anakin's life.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 31, 2008, 05:22:04 AM

Ah I never even though to put those two convos together.  I take it then Sidious had to idea about Anakin until chance united them?  Otherwise he was just left to rot on a backwater planet.

One of the things the Emperor was capable of doing was "forseeing".  It's entirely likely that Palpatine could have forseen the rise of Anakin/Vader and did away with Plageus when he realized his potential future replacement had been arranged for.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 12:31:56 AM »

I think those arguing Palagus as the creator of Anakin vs Palpatine as an opportune manipulator of Anakin are both on the right track. Outside of the movies there isn't enough information sources to be sure either way. In regards to whether wikipoedia is reliable or not, George Lucas is on record as stating that you need to look to the movies as the official source for lore followed by books then games; in other words movies > books and comics > tabletop games and video games. So if a wiki is making reference to the movies it's reliable.

In regard to Sith having more than 1 apprentice and breaking the rule of 2, it's apparently a serious breach of a covenant to do so and punishable by death. That's not to say Sith masters or apprentices didn't do it, but when they did it was usually well planned and it wasn't long before they were back to the rule of 2 via an opportune assassination. The punishment for breach wouldn't occur by tribunal or anything so formal, but by assassination usually by a member of the Siths' most significant historical ally; the Mandalorians.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:35:25 AM by kronovan » Logged
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 12:39:21 AM »

I have a question.

If you have lightspeed technology, why not just send a big old ship into the deathstar at lightspeed and destroy it that way?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »

Quote from: heloder on September 01, 2008, 12:39:21 AM

I have a question.

If you have lightspeed technology, why not just send a big old ship into the deathstar at lightspeed and destroy it that way?

cause that would be boring.  big space battles are much more fun.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2008, 06:16:21 AM »

Quote from: heloder on September 01, 2008, 12:39:21 AM

I have a question.

One of the Star Wars RPG books explained that when you're in hyperspace, you don't interact with physical reality in the same way as before. Things in normal space can affect you, but you can't affect them. As a result, if you happened to crash into the Death Star in hyperspace using a, say, Star Destroyer, the former would be untouched and the latter would be completely destroyed.

A few characters in the movies use "lightspeed" and "hyperspace" interchangeably, but they all mean "hyperspace". As far as I know, no Star Wars ship is capable of getting anywhere near actual lightspeed without jumping into hyperspace.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »

I thought that there was debate in the Jedi council as to whether or not Anakin was even the chosen one? I always took from the movies that Qui-Gon believed Anakin to be the chosen one, but was wrong. Luke Skywalker was the one to bring balance to the force by destroying the Emporer and bringing Anakin back to the light side.

But that was just from watching the movies. I don't read the books or anything, so I'm probably missing something.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 01, 2008, 03:46:10 PM

Luke Skywalker was the one to bring balance to the force by destroying the Emporer and bringing Anakin back to the light side.
Well technically it was Anakin who destroyed the Emperor slywink.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 01, 2008, 03:58:33 PM

Quote from: msteelers on September 01, 2008, 03:46:10 PM

Luke Skywalker was the one to bring balance to the force by destroying the Emporer and bringing Anakin back to the light side.
Well technically it was Anakin who destroyed the Emperor slywink.

the first time that is  icon_wink

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 08:29:49 AM »

Balance doesn't mean Light win, right? I think Anakin is bringing the balance by making both side have equal or almost equal members. Since there is only two on the dark side plus one or two extra (or backup apprentices), then to balance it you need to reduce the hundreds Jedi to only handful of them.

At the end of prequels, there are two on the dark side and two on the light side. Then Luke Skywalker made it imbalanced again by turning Anakin back to light and Anakin killed the emperor in the end of the original SW movies.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: