http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few nerdy Star Wars questions  (Read 3619 times)
McNutt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

These might have been answered in some extra material I haven't seen, but they've always bugged me:

1. Why did Obi Wan disappear when Vader struck him down?

2. Why is Vader cool with the Emperor trying to replace him win Luke? I know he asked Luke to rule with him, which I assume meant overthrowing the Emperor, but he seems to be cool with his master making him fight his son just to see who will live

3. Anakin is supposed to bring balance to the force, but what possible meaning could that have other than balancing out the good/bad force ratio?  If it was heavily weighted in favor of the good guys, why would the one to bring balance be welcome?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

I have nothing helpful to offer, but yup, that's nerdy.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:47:18 PM »

All of you questions can be answered with one answer:  George Lucas wrote the story so huge parts of it make absolutely no fucking sense.  Tongue
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 28, 2008, 02:42:00 PM

These might have been answered in some extra material I haven't seen, but they've always bugged me:

They answered this in Episode 3, which is that there is a way to train so that you can basically become a spirit when you die.  Qui Gon didn't do this, which is why he was still around after his death.

2. Why is Vader cool with the Emperor trying to replace him win Luke? I know he asked Luke to rule with him, which I assume meant overthrowing the Emperor, but he seems to be cool with his master making him fight his son just to see who will live
I think the fighting is basically a way to piss Luke off so he'll go to the Dark Side.  He does ultimately want to overthrow the Emperor.

3. Anakin is supposed to bring balance to the force, but what possible meaning could that have other than balancing out the good/bad force ratio?  If it was heavily weighted in favor of the good guys, why would the one to bring balance be welcome?
Yeah, I guess this one is a little weird.  It would sound like good vs. bad balance, but ultimately Vader is the one kills the Emperor which pretty much makes the good side overpowered.  So, I guess it more refers to restoring good to the galaxy.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

The gore if he actually cut him half would have gotten an R rating?

Vader was the Emperor's whipping boy until his very last moment.

I think you answered your own question. Balance is necessary in all things. Jedi are all philosophical like that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:52:45 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »

Not sure. My interpretation is that he kinda became one with the force, like Yoda when he died.
Because it is the Sith way. The Sith Master (Emperor) accepts that his apprentice, no matter who it is, will always have it in his mind to kill the Emperor and take his spot. The Apprentice accepts that the Master will always look for an apprentice who will most benefit the Master.
Always wondered that myself. Have heard a few explanations, but only remember one: that the Jedi are essentially D&D druids - they're not a force for good, but for balance (and the darkside is unnatural).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »

Kinda the nature of evil I guess- survival of the fittest.  If Vader wasn't able to defeat Luke then Vader doesn't deserve to be the Emperor's right hand.  Nothing personal, just business.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »

my theory on number one is that both Obi Wan and Yoda learned a technique to become one with the Force upon their death from the ghost of Qui-Gon Jinn (it was also hinted at towards the end of Episode 3).  Right before Vader kills him you can see Obi 'center' himself, and later on Yoda also disappears when he dies.

As for 2, Vader was so far under the control of the Emperor that he pretty much did anything he was told to, but I also think the fight at the end of RotJ was him trying to stop Luke from killing the Emperor and starting down the path to the Dark Side.  Alternatively, he could have seen it as Luke making a grab for the top spot and decided daddy needed to give him a spanking.

3-  well, yeah, that made no sense and really needed to be explained.  IIRC in the KotOR games you could walk a neutral path with access to powers on both the light and dark side, and maybe they thought the Chosen One could lead them to such balance.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »

I remember Yoda telling Obi Wan about the new life after death technique, but it seemed that Obi Wan skipped the whole death part.  He just vanished. I don't think they did that just to avoid the gore, because Vaded pokes at the robe because he doesn't know what just happened. Obi Wan's warning that he was going to become more powerful than Vader could possibly imagine was a bit exaggerated too.

As for Vader fighting just to keep Luke from going to the dark side, I don't think there's a chance Vader and the Emperor weren't in agreement as to how this was going to go down. The Emperor would goad Luke into attacking him and Vader would stop him and the battle for second in command would be on. I just don't know why Vader wouldn't just let Lukes saber strike the Emperor.  Even Sith have a sense of self preservation. Make that "especially Sith."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:32:54 PM by McNutt » Logged
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »

For #1:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_ghost

...you can probably find the answers to the other questions on that site as well.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »

He did bring balance to the Force - he just balanced out the bad side, as good had become too overpowering. The Jedi had become too complacent to realize what had happened until it was far too late. Or, at least that's what I figure due to not being involved with Lucas' craziness when he wrote the prequels.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »

I suspect the answer is somewhat close to this: During the Clone Wars era, the Jedi had to a large degree lost their way. In their effort to thwart the Dark Side before it even appears, they denied themselves and their apprentices to feel love, because they feared that love could too easily turn someone. They turned out to be right, but it was a self-fulfilled prophecy which probably wouldn't have happened in the first place if they had been less strict. Notice how the Jedi didn't attempt to stop someone from developing towards the Dark Side back in the Tales of the Jedi era. They instead allowed them to destroy themselves through their actions. The Clone Wars Jedi were far too proactive in comparison, which hurt everyone to some degree.

When they had a prophecy about someone bringing balance to the Force, they probably thought it was more about balance within the individual Jedi (ie. everyone learning how to become one with the Force and discard all irrelevant feelings) than about destroying the Dark or the Light Side. Again, they had the right idea, but they pulled all the wrong conclusions out of it.

Anakin eventually became the catalyst that destroyed both the Jedi Order and the Sith, allowing his son and daughter to rebuild the Jedi from scratch with a different mindset than the council used to have. Luke removed the tension and problems that were inherent in the old Jedi Order and established a new mindset, and thus Anakin had brought balance to the Force in that its purpose was found again.

I don't know what the official explanation is, but the above is what makes the most sense to me, as a long-time Star Wars übergeek. smile
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »

I always viewed the Clone War era Jedi like the medieval (or even modern) religion. So strict in their belief that the ends justify the means and that their way is the only way.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »

Ive always wondered why there is no neutral force user. Like one who would use it to save someone yet also use it to win a bar fight. Just use it whever they want but never for anything totally evil like mass murder. Say Han solo but with force powers.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 28, 2008, 05:44:04 PM

Ive always wondered why there is no neutral force user. Like one who would use it to save someone yet also use it to win a bar fight. Just use it whever they want but never for anything totally evil like mass murder. Say Han solo but with force powers.

I'm sure you can find some SW fan fic that has some 'creative' use of force powers.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16554_5-most-baffling-sex-scenes-in-history-fanfiction.html
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 07:21:12 PM »

I think Samuel L. Jackson's jedi is the closest we've come to a "neutral" jedi in the movies. He was a light jedi, but he would occasionally dip into the dark side in a controlled way, from what I understand.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »

I think the best way to bring balance to the Force would be to vaccinate half the population against midichlorians.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

God were midichlorians the dumbest thing ever! Lucas just brain farted that one out of left field. DUMB dumb ugh. But on that point why did Vader serve the emperor so long if he had the highest midichlorian count ever? He should have been able to just insta kill that old fart.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »

I thought the midichlorian concept, while a bad idea to begin with, got a little cooler in Episode 3 when Palpatine insinuated that he had bio-engineered Anakin through manipulation of midichlorians. So while Anakin may have been technically born to a virgin mother, his father was actually Palpatine in a way, and he could only do it thanks to the existence of midichlorians.

It's not enough to save the concept, but it made it moderately salvageable in my mind.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 28, 2008, 08:23:31 PM

I thought the midichlorian concept, while a bad idea to begin with, got a little cooler in Episode 3 when Palpatine insinuated that he had bio-engineered Anakin through manipulation of midichlorians. So while Anakin may have been technically born to a virgin mother, his father was actually Palpatine in a way, and he could only do it thanks to the existence of midichlorians.

It's not enough to save the concept, but it made it moderately salvageable in my mind.

I think this was the one time, ever, Lucas was too subtle about something.  I had no clue this was being implied until I read it on some fansite years later.  It makes the whole dynamic between Vader and Palpatine more interesting.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »

It wasn't Palpatine that bio-engineered Anakin, but Palpatine's master... uh, see if I can remember, Darth Plagus?

Here's what the Emperor says at that opera thing:
You ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagus the Wise? ... Darth Plagus was a dark lord of the sith so powerful and so wise he could use the force to influence the midichlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the darkside he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

Hmm, though I guess he goes on to say:
He became so powerful the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually of course he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic, he could save others from death, but not himself.

So I guess that would certainly imply that the Emperor had power to create life.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:54:46 PM by cheeba » Logged
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 09:36:38 PM »

This is funny having just read the Wired magazine article about Leland Chee, the Lucasfilm Keeper of the Holocron. If you're a Star Wars geek...his job would be all kinds of cool.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »

Quote from: Jag on August 28, 2008, 06:55:56 PM

I'm sure you can find some SW fan fic that has some 'creative' use of force powers.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16554_5-most-baffling-sex-scenes-in-history-fanfiction.html

saywhat saywhat eek eek saywhat saywhat crybaby crybaby crybaby

Some things you'll never be able to get out of your head. This, unfortunately, is one of them. It makes me feel glad that some people of this world are unable to access the 'net at all, as they are the privileged ones.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 12:09:24 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on August 28, 2008, 08:46:51 PM

You ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagus the Wise? ... Darth Plagus was a dark lord of the sith so powerful and so wise he could use the force to influence the midichlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the darkside he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

He became so powerful the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually of course he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic, he could save others from death, but not himself.

So I guess that would certainly imply that the Emperor had power to create life.

Read this exchange between Anakin and Palpatine right after Mace is killed:

ANAKIN: Just help me save Padme's life. I can't live without her. I won't let her die. I want the power to stop death.

PALPATINE: To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.

Anakin should have said "Wtf! I came over to the Dark Side and you don't even have the power to save Padme? You need my help to discover the secret?"

This is just another example of how knowing the future causes it to happen. If Anakin didn't have the dreams about Padme dying he wouldn't have turned into a Youngling killer and caused Padme to die of heartache.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Quote from: Jag on August 28, 2008, 06:55:56 PM

saywhat saywhat eek eek saywhat saywhat crybaby crybaby crybaby

Some things you'll never be able to get out of your head. This, unfortunately, is one of them. It makes me feel glad that some people of this world are unable to access the 'net at all, as they are the privileged ones.

Elrond went further by clutching Picard with his fingers, pulling at the fabric of his slacks to feel what was underneath.

The telltale bulge in the elf's leggings stood out between them, especially with the weight it had against Picard's thigh.

Elrond moved over Picard's body like a serpent and sharply nibbled at a peaked nipple.

sorry, I just needed to inflict that upon other people too.  somethings are best shared, like mental scarring.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 04:14:32 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on August 28, 2008, 08:46:51 PM

It wasn't Palpatine that bio-engineered Anakin, but Palpatine's master... uh, see if I can remember, Darth Plagus?

But how does that mean Anakin was bioengineered?  I'm not making the connection.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 04:33:06 AM »

But how does that mean Anakin was bioengineered?  I'm not making the connection.

Anakin's birth was a virgin birth. We can't just accept that, as it makes no sense within the Star Wars universe. In other words, something else happened.

Palpatine seems to have considerable knowledge about this Darth Plagus the Wise, and his wording implies that he himself is the apprentice who killed him.

So here are the "facts" we know:

- Someone did something to create Anakin. He wasn't born through a miracle.

- Anakin's midichlorian count was exceptionally high.

- Palpatine probably had the power to create life through midichlorians.

- Palpatine also had the power of foresight, able to predict events many years in advance.

It's not definite proof, but it certainly seems to point towards Anakin being engineered by Palpatine.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 29, 2008, 04:33:06 AM

Based on what? Read my dialogue quote again after Mace is killed:

ANAKIN: Just help me save Padme's life. I can't live without her. I won't let her die. I want the power to stop death.

PALPATINE: To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.

Palpatine didn't have the secret. Only Darth Plagus did.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 04:51:23 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 29, 2008, 04:46:00 AM

Quote from: TiLT on August 29, 2008, 04:33:06 AM

Based on what? Read my dialogue quote again after Mace is killed:

Unless Palpatine was dangling it as a carrot, as well as playing to Anakin's ego by implying he couldn't discover the secret without him.  I would go so far as to say Palpatine wasn't telling the whole truth during that conversation, the sneaky bastard...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 04:51:54 AM »

Palpatine probably lies, and would never tell Anakin that he had that power. His potential to save Amidala is the only thing binding Anakin to the Dark Side at that point, so if Palpatine admitted to knowing how to save her he'd have to go through with it, and then he'd lose control over Anakin.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 05:26:56 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 29, 2008, 04:46:00 AM

Yeah I thought about this as I drove home tonight from watching The Clone Wars, heh. The fact is we don't know if Palpatine had the secret and kept it to himself or if he never had it. Guess it's up to one's interpretation whether Anakin was created by Plagus or Palpatine, or even created by either of the two at all. Personally, I'm going to go with Plagus creating Anakin. Had Palpatine created him, I don't think he would have left him to grow up as a slave on Tatooine.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 05:42:29 AM »

Now that I think about it, this quote seems to support what I said in my previous post. If Palpatine considers Darth Plagus' biggest error to have been him teaching his apprentice everything he knew, then it's obvious that Palpatine wouldn't want to share his own secrets with Anakin.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 05:46:34 AM »

Well...being a fervent Star Wars minatures player I feel I've achieved a certain degree of true Star Wars geekdom/nerdiness, so I'll throw in my own 2 cents.

It's already been answered; it's because Obi-Wan mastered force ghost or what's now termed force spirit. However, Qui-Gon Jinn isn't the 1st Jedi to master it and it's supposed to be a legacy art amongst Jedi councellors. Luke also eventually masters it and in fact a 'Luke Skywalker Force Spirit' figure was recently introduced in the Legacy of the Force, Star Wars mini set.

#2.
The answer to that lies in the "rule of two"; a Sith master may only take on 1 apprentice at any given time. It wasn't uncommon amongst Sith apprentices upon achieving full mastery to assasinate their masters or for Sith masters to have their apprentices assasinated in lieu of a more promising pupil. Darth Palagus is an example of the former and Darth Sidious with his treatment of Count Dooku is an example of the latter. With the unparalleled success he achieved with Darth Vader, Sidious was more than willing to chance further gains with Luke Skywalker as his apprentice. The "rule of two" has a parrallel in the Jedi order in the manner in which a Jedi master will almost always have only 1 Padewan for an apprentice. Vaders willingness to fight Luke has 2 possible explanations: 1) he hopes to persuade Luke to ally with him as master-apprentice and therefore have the means to eliminate Sidious. By being perceived to be following Sidious's assasination plans, it's likely the Emperor would fail to detect Vader's establishment of his new "rule of two". 2) He's aware of his role in the Jedi legend to restore balance and knows that he can't tempt fate, we also learn that he's remorsefull of his past, thus his actions to kill Luke, despite being disastorous to the Empire he helped create, are his only means to redemption.

IIRC the balancing of the dark and light really goes back to the time of the Sith wars or great hyper-space war; a time prior to the events of KOTOR. A Jedi Knight(s) in that era discovered the location of the Sith temple and learned the arts of the dark side. The consequences at 1st were dire for the Old Republic, but in the end the Jedi were able achieve balance in the force and subdue the Sith and their Mandalorian allies. The events of Star Wars II and III are in many regards a modern repitition of those historical events. Anakin should have been the Jedi of legend to achieve dark-light balance, but unforseen personal trauma meant that it had to be achieved through his son (luke) and his daughter (Leia). As the intricacy of the force goes, without some embracement of the dark side the Jedi Order grows weak while the Sith grow strong, to the extent that the working and machinations of the Sith become invisible to them.  Which is more or less what others have already said.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 07:07:25 AM by kronovan » Logged
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »

It is a good question as to why Vader didn't attempt to assassinate Palpatine earlier, though. Clearly from the beginning when he turned and was talking to Padme on Mustafar he was thinking of overthrowing him. And Palpatine told Yoda that Vader would be more powerful than either of them. Vader either didn't realize his potential power or he did and perhaps it was the "good in him" that he wasn't able to become the master.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »

These might have been answered in some extra material I haven't seen, but they've always bugged me...

Just enjoy the pretty lights and try not to think too hard about these things...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »

Also remember that this franchise is owned by Lucas, who often throws continuity out the window, not to mention integrity.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »

I am so confused about the Qui Gon thing now.  Did he show up as a force ghost?  I can't remember.  What I do remember is that he didn't disappear when he died.  So, if he did show up as a force ghost, why didn't he disappear?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 29, 2008, 12:33:27 PM

I am so confused about the Qui Gon thing now.  Did he show up as a force ghost?  I can't remember.  What I do remember is that he didn't disappear when he died.  So, if he did show up as a force ghost, why didn't he disappear?

He never shows up as a force ghost.  There was a scene written for ROTS where he was to have appeared to Obi-Wan after he escapes Order 66 but it was never filmed.  IIRC, it was implied that Qui-Gon was actually able to discover how to come back belatedly (ie after his death) and Obi-Wan and Yoda were able to learn the technique. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 29, 2008, 12:47:47 PM

Quote from: The Grue on August 29, 2008, 12:33:27 PM

He never shows up as a force ghost.  There was a scene written for ROTS where he was to have appeared to Obi-Wan after he escapes Order 66 but it was never filmed.  IIRC, it was implied that Qui-Gon was actually able to discover how to come back belatedly (ie after his death) and Obi-Wan and Yoda were able to learn the technique. 

Okay this is what I thought.  I was getting confused because people in this thread were saying Qui Gon had learned the technique and to my knowledge that wasn't the case.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »

Where was it said that Anakin was a virgin birth?  I don't remember that.

Everything Palpatine said to Anakin seemed like a load of crap designed to string him along, so I never put much faith in it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: