http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 05:06:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Day Without Immigrants  (Read 3472 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2006, 10:05:55 PM »

I support immigrant rights, both legal and illegal.  They only want what the previous immigrants(including white immigrants) have wanted when THEY came here.  I see the anti-immigrant feelings as being promoted by The Powers That Be in order to have the people fighting amongst themselves.  This makes it much easier for the PTB to maintain their grip on things.

In other words, middle America's way of life is not being threatened by some people who crossed the border illegally, it's being threatened by other, more powerful Americans.   Low skilled American workers are not losing jobs because of illegals, they are losing jobs because of the people who HIRE illegals.

All that said, I believe these protests are counterproductive.  The pro-immigrant side MUST get general popular support, it's like in a guerrilla war.  

Flying the flags of other countries, not learning English as their first priority so as to blend in better, doing stupid things like marching on the freeways- all this is nonsense that only makes them look stupid and alienates the general population.

Also, these protests are unnecessary in that the people who for whatever reason(racist or otherwise) don't give a crap about immigrants will still not give a crap about immigrants.  The people that do give a crap don't need to see these protests to be reminded of how they feel.  People on the fence, however, may be so annoyed by this that they go anti-immigrant. Dumb dumb dumb
unbreakable
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2006, 10:09:42 PM »

I love watching people defend the "Majority As Victim" (tm) mentality.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2006, 10:28:23 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
There's nothing [in the First Amendment] that states "If you follow the First Amendment, you can't get in trouble." It just states that the Government cannot make any laws to limit the freedom of speech or the press (now meant to mean expression in general at times) or the right of the people peaceably to assemble.

Nope. Nothing in there that says you can't get fired, or be punished in any means necessary. Nothing that says you will suffer no consequences for your actions. Nothing.

Since I can't find anyone in this thread who claimed that these students couldn't be punished, I don't see what any of this has to do with the current conversation.

Here are the things I *am* saying:

1) Your original statement that students who skipped one day of school to protest should be "kicked out" of school and "left to shit jobs for the rest of their lives" is nonsensical.

2) Your second statement that students who skipped one day of school should be "punished" by having additional days off from school is completely counter-intuitive.

3) Your attempts to equate "a one-day suspension" with a life-long punishment of "leaving them to shit jobs for the rest of their lives" is silly at best and somewhat insulting to the intelligence of the forum readers here at worst.

Finally, I'm troubled by the fact that if students cut a day of school to attend a pro-military rally or a 9/11 memorial service, I don't think you'd have reacted with:

Quote from: "Zarkon"
If they don't want to be [in school]? Kick 'em out, let 'em live with shit jobs for the rest of their lives.

You can tell me whether or not I'm wrong, but either way I feel sort of bad for you.  

-Autistic Angel
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2006, 10:37:13 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Why the hell would you want to deport these people who are directly contributing to our economy?  Better to exile the white trash and blacks who leech our tax money via welfare they neither need nor deserve.

So, you qualify the leeches of society as either "white trash" or "blacks"?  :?

You answered that way better than my orginal response that I never posted

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 12:07:56 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
My stance is simple - you commit a crime to get into the country, you have no rights other than those granted to you by the Geneva convention.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but this is my stance as well.

I'm personally sick and tired of supporting all these illegals who crossed into the country. Yes, YOU, the taxpayer, are supporting these people every time you get a paycheck. I deal with them all the time in my pharmacy (the ones who get free prescriptions, free doctor's visits in the HOSPITAL (not a Dr's office like you and me), etc).

And I also didn't see a single bit of change today at work.

Oh, and for a bit of history - my grandparents entered the country the legal way - via immigration through Hungray (however you spell it). They learned the language, they learned how to live in this country, and they brought up two kids (and a bunch of grandkids because of it). If they can do it, so can everybody else.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2006, 01:49:18 AM »

I support immigrant rights, both legal and illegal. They only want what the previous immigrants(including white immigrants) have wanted when THEY came here.

A great many of those original immigrants came through the country via legal channels.  I support leagl immigrants.  I don't support illegal immigrants though.  By all means, come here, but come here legally.  If your country sucks, do something about it.   People certainly did something about it in the US many years ago.

Personally, I'd love to see us close our borders until we can feed and properly educate all the legal citizens of this country.  The poverty in the US is pretty bad, as is the education and medical systems in parts of the country.  I really think we should fix that first, before adding to the poverty and taxing the education and medical systems even more.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2006, 02:03:26 AM »

I haven't noticed any impact at my work and I'm a couple miles away from LAX.  There's only one person absent today (latina) from my group of about twenty, but I've seen most everyone else who's latino here today.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2006, 07:08:33 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I'm personally sick and tired of supporting all these illegals who crossed into the country. Yes, YOU, the taxpayer, are supporting these people every time you get a paycheck. I deal with them all the time in my pharmacy (the ones who get free prescriptions, free doctor's visits in the HOSPITAL (not a Dr's office like you and me), etc).

I'm personally sick of paying for illegal wars which accomplish nothing but transfer my tax dollars into the pockets of corrupt Republicans.  Iran-Contra.  Savings & Loan.  "The War on Terror".  Bridges to nowhere.  $14 Billion corporate welfare handout to the oil industry last year.

Pretty ironic how the Bin Laden family is making billions off the USA's "War on Terror", isn't it?  Almost as ironic as the fact that our president's first business partner was Salem Bin Laden (brother of OBL, for those playing at home).

Yep, pretty ironic.  Pretty expensive, too.

Canada gets free health care, and we get... a war in Iraq.

I blame the immigrants!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2006, 08:06:27 AM »

""In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes
here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us,
he
shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an
outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or
birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's
becoming
in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be
no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but
something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one
flag, the American flag.. We have room for but one language here, and
that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole
loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907 ""

I am shocked that they, being here illegally, have the gall to demand anything of us at all!  This whole issue is my #1 hot button right now, and I'm really pissed the politicians are so gutless about it, especially El Presidente.   We need to get a grasp on this now, before it's too late, if it isn't already.  :evil:

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Pretty ironic how the Bin Laden family is making billions off the USA's "War on Terror", isn't it?  Almost as ironic as the fact that our president's first business partner was Salem Bin Laden (brother of OBL, for those playing at home).

"Enid?  Hit that there Vicky-trola, I think she's stuck."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
unbreakable
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2006, 10:18:20 PM »

Education is an amazing thing

People complaining about immigration, taxes, etc: very penny wise and dollar foolish.  Which actually serves as an excellent description of "fiscal conservatives"!
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2006, 03:27:54 AM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Where my wife gets her nails done there's a legal immigrant(a US citizen now).Been here thirty years.An ex US Marine who fought in Viet Nam.He married a Viet Namese woman four years ago but still can't get her a visa.
He's Viet Namese.
Why do Hispanics believe they should be given precidence over his plight?

That is because Hispanics move to US to work for the good and betterment of US people. On the other hand this Vietnamese ex-Marine's wife only want visa so that she can live with her husband. One is for the good of the people and the other is for a good for a single family.smile
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2006, 04:05:00 AM »

Quote from: "Victoria Raverna"

That is because Hispanics move to US to work for the good and betterment of US people.

HA HA
unbreakable
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2006, 04:12:27 AM »

No, it's because there is such a massive amount of people here from Mexico, and American industry is leaning very heavily on them.  Just kicking out 14 million people is not going to happen, even if there were the political will to do so (which there really isn't).

As I've said for years, illegal immigration is America's dirty little secret.  Industry loves cheap labor which lets them ignore US labor laws, and the immigrants deal with it because there is no legal path for most of them to become US Citizens besides marriage.  And, of course, politicians love it because it's a do-nothing, divisive issue which allows them to keep riding the campaign contributions from those either for or against.

This is really just more "Election Year Republifundie" wheel spinning.  Brought to you by the same people who were FOR smaller government before they were AGAINST it, and the same people who were FOR fiscal responsibility before they were AGAINST it, and FOR ethics before they were AGAINST it, and FOR the flat tax before they were AGAINST it, etc etc etc.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: