http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:20:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Dance With Dragons (G. R. R. Martin reminder)  (Read 1305 times)
JohnathanStrange
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »

My New Homepage

Other info

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »

Er, I wouldn't be counting down to anything yet.  Martin just recovered from a serious case of Bronchitis that pushed his writing back even further.  The odds of it making it out in the US this year aren't good and almost certainly not by that Amazon date. 
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »

Heh, counters can always be reset, sped up, slowed down.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »

I've decided to wait until he's done with the series before I pick up another one of them., like I did with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and am doing with the Malazan series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »

Yeah CeeKay, I might do that as well.  It's been so long since the last book that I can't even remember what happened - and I didn't even start the series until the last book had been released.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 06:13:53 PM »

Normally I would agree with the waiting until the series is finished, but I enjoy the series so much that I re-read it for each new book. There is just so much in the story, that I pick up/realize new things each time.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »

Well, as the series started when I was in high school, I think it's probably fitting that it end sometime near my eventual retirement - or death at the hands of those treacherous Lannisters!!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »

With how long Martin is taking for every successive volume, I wonder if this series won't meet the same fate as Jordan's....

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 09:28:26 PM »

So long as Erikson is pumping out books, Martin can wait smile
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »

Maybe that alleged HBO adaptation will inspire him to pick up the pace. BTW, he's a Santa Fe resident just like yours truly. Santa Fe being such a small town, I've seen him around over a dozen times though I'm hardly vain enough to tell him that I represent House Strange or confident enough to tell him to get on with the writing.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 11, 2008, 11:30:04 PM

Maybe that alleged HBO adaptation will inspire him to pick up the pace. BTW, he's a Santa Fe resident just like yours truly. Santa Fe being such a small town, I've seen him around over a dozen times though I'm hardly vain enough to tell him that I represent House Strange or confident enough to tell him to get on with the writing.

Just tell him that you were a big fan of his writing and were wondering why he had gotten out of the business.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on May 11, 2008, 09:24:15 PM

With how long Martin is taking for every successive volume, I wonder if this series won't meet the same fate as Jordan's....

that's my main reason for stopping until it's finished.  At least the Wheel of Time is going to be completed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 02:06:53 AM »

Don't know if anyone else has read it, but FYI perhaps my favorite series that's still ongoing (one book left I think) is the Saga of the Seven Suns series by Kevin J. Anderson.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 04:43:50 AM »

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series is my favorite ongoing series.  It's an alternate history kind of thing whose premise is that there are talking dragons in the Napoleonic era, and they're used the as a military air force.  It's fantastic.  Think Master and Commander in the air, and you've kind of got it.  Novik also happened to be a writer on the second (I think) Neverwinter Nights expansion.  Highly recommended.

Back on topic, Martin better not die before he finishes the series.  He should talk to Stephen King about how to get down to cranking out the books to round out the series.  In related news, one of the guys I work with looks like a younger version of Martin, beard and all.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:58:52 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 12, 2008, 02:06:53 AM

Don't know if anyone else has read it, but FYI perhaps my favorite series that's still ongoing (one book left I think) is the Saga of the Seven Suns series by Kevin J. Anderson.

I've read all but the latest book, and I really enjoy it.  Usually, I'm a very slow reader, but the chapters are so short, I can fly right through the SOTSS books.

Quote from: Chaz on May 12, 2008, 04:43:50 AM

He should talk to Stephen King about how to get down to cranking out the books to round out the series.
If he did that, the big threat from the north would turn out to be a couple old guys with rusty swords and some new character would come out of nowhere and kill them all in under a minute.  The End slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 12, 2008, 08:58:52 AM

Quote from: Chaz on May 12, 2008, 04:43:50 AM

He should talk to Stephen King about how to get down to cranking out the books to round out the series.
If he did that, the big threat from the north would turn out to be a couple old guys with rusty swords and some new character would come out of nowhere and kill them all in under a minute.  The End slywink
True that. Or have Dean R. Koontz: the Big Bad - after a ton of buildup - is  killed in a paragraph or less. Plus Koontz can start & finish another book while you read the current one.

There is something to be said about reading only finished series though. You don't have to wait or wonder if they'll be done. However, if I'm interested enough in a series to want to read it in the first place, I can't see myself choosing to wait years for the author to complete it before even trying some of the books. Who knows? I may end up disliking or being bored by the writing and decide that I don't have to bother anticipating the rest.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: