http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 years late to the viewing: Magnolia  (Read 1043 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:21:03 PM »

Was bored, decided to watch a movie and in just about the whole collection my brother and me share, I've seen every film except for two.  One has been reserved to watch with my girlfriend who wants me to watch it with her, so I watched the other one by default.  And it was "Magnolia."

Not a single poor performance from any actor.  Brilliant pacing.  Wonderful writing.  Beautiful music.  I was pretty blown-away by the whole thing.  I was literally frozen on the sofa for the entire 3 hours.  And I can't remember how tense a movie has made me at times.  Whenever everything just comes to it's final climax...and then WHAM.  I jumped  icon_lol  I mean, I had heard about "it" (I'm sure those who've seen it [i.e. everyone by now most likely] know what I mean), but wasn't expecting it at that moment.

And it's sort of a shame, because everybody'll remember the movie as:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The one where the frogs fall out of the sky HOW LAAAAME!

But really, doing some research online, thinking about the movie, it was like, an ultimate release.  Apparently it's a tactic that Hitchcock uses (forgot the term), but to me, it was like, when everything was at its worse, when things couldn't seem to get ANY more depressing, this unexplainable thing just happens.

The acting was the best I've ever seen.

PHEW, wow, dust off your copy and give it a viewing or rent it this weekend if you haven't seen it!

TheMissingLink on PSN
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:50:02 PM »

Couldnt disagree more...thought the movie has an overhyped borefest which tried to hard!
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:05:02 PM »

I remember I bought the VHS when my video store went out of business a few years back and I had gone to just rent something...  I remember I saw it; but I have almost no longterm impression of the movie!  I think I kind of liked it, but to unpack the VCR -- eh.

The soundtrack is incredible; but I've been a big Aimee Mann fan since Whatever, so I'm perhaps a bit biased.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:12:32 PM »

I was bored. But that's whats amazing in life. Whats borish to me is brillant to you. There were some strong acting in there, that wasnt my issue. I just hated the movie.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »

I thought it was brilliant when I saw it then tried watching it a few years later and almost fell asleep. I don't fault the actors though as everyone was indeed brilliant. My major edit that I think would have saved the film (armchair quarterback that I am) would have been to completely remove the William H. Macy subplot entirely. Yank it all out. With the exception of his meeting with John C. Reilly at the end, which could have been taken care of if Reilly was in his car and that's where he had a change of mind, it was completely irrelevant to the overall tapestry. When people point to it and say, "Yeah, but such-and-such is where his story influenced the overall meaning of the film" I'd simply point at any two of the dozen other characters and reply, "Yeah, but so do both of them. STFU."

But if you have the two-disc set then watch the blooper reel, the "John C. Reilly Files," and the rest of the Tom Cruise infomercial. All of them are side-splittingly funny, especially the Cruise one. Say what you will about the man's personal life he can be a seriously funny man when he tries.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:32:19 PM »

It's one of my top 10 movies.  Probably top 5.  I love the acting.  The stories.  Tom Cruise confronting his father is just damned unnerving.  I've probably seen it 5 times and haven't been bored since.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »

Too highbrow for me, I guess. I was bored.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »

WORSHIP THE COCK!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 04:03:40 PM »

The "storm" at the end is Biblical, related to the lives of all of the characters. And it's perfectly fitting, as far as I remember. Lemme see if I can drudge up a link ...

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 04:11:10 PM »

Ahh, it's a little bit of everything ...

Spoiler for Hiden:

Many attentive viewers have noted that the "raining of frogs" in the third act of the film bears religious connotation, which is referenced several times throughout the film. This is mostly done through the repeated appearances of the numbers 8 and 2 culminating the use of "Exodus 8:2" on an advertisement poster at a bus stop (during the scene in which John C. Reilly s character, Jim Kurring, is driving down Magnolia Blvd. and finds William H. Macy s Quiz Kid Donnie Smith breaking and entering just prior to the rain of frogs sequence). The passage referenced reads: "And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs."

But at the same time ...

Despite the biblical implication above, and the address of coincidental yet scientifically feasible phenomena via Stanley Berry and the opening narration by Ricky Jay, the inclusion of the frogs in this sequence seems to stem more from the thematic devices within the film, calling into question strange phenomena and urban myths laced with coincidence, and equating them to struggles of a personal nature. Each character in the film wrestles with "letting go" of personal and emotional baggage in differing circumstances, and the frogs raining down seems to indicate both a collective release in many cases (as in Frank T.J. Mackey’s final emotions regarding his dying father Earl Partridge, and in turn Earl s subsequent release into death), and an awakening sign to others (the Gator Family, and Quiz Kid Donnie Smith).

Something to think about.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »

Quote from: dedewhale on November 02, 2006, 01:50:02 PM

Couldnt disagree more...thought the movie has an overhyped borefest which tried to hard!

Agreed and I am a fan of Anderson's work.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:51:09 PM »

Magnolia is in my top 10 for sure.  Love the music score (Aimee Mann), the acting was fantastic throughout, and the storylines was interesting and intriguing.

Plus Tom Cruise kicks ass in that movie   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 05:16:48 PM »

That movie turns me into this: crybaby
Seriously, I just bawl. Sobbing fits.

So, in case you couldn't tell, I love it.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 06:06:04 PM »

Yeah, I'm a huge fan as well and the movie definitely caused me to pick up a couple of Aimee Mann albums.  I really like PTA's work, though I didn't think Punch Drunk Love was as good as Magnolia and Boogie Nights, and Sydney, while good, was an obvious first effort. 
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 07:49:16 PM »

I think this is the only movie my wife and I walked out of.  The frog thing happened, we gave each other one last 'wtf, is this crapfest not over yet' look and left.  So yeah... didn't like it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 11:04:03 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 02, 2006, 01:21:03 PM

One has been reserved to watch with my girlfriend
Since when do you have a girlfriend?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 01:42:53 AM »

Quote from: JLu on November 02, 2006, 02:05:02 PM

I remember I bought the VHS when my video store went out of business a few years back and I had gone to just rent something...  I remember I saw it; but I have almost no longterm impression of the movie!  I think I kind of liked it, but to unpack the VCR -- eh.

The soundtrack is incredible; but I've been a big Aimee Mann fan since Whatever, so I'm perhaps a bit biased.

Aimee Mann is the bomb. She just released an Xmas (Xmas!) record last week. Will pick up soon.

I <3 Aimee.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 02, 2006, 11:04:03 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 02, 2006, 01:21:03 PM

One has been reserved to watch with my girlfriend
Since when do you have a girlfriend?

did we all forget the 'man eyes' debacle already?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 06:29:28 AM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on November 02, 2006, 02:12:32 PM

I was bored. But that's whats amazing in life. Whats borish to me is brillant to you. There were some strong acting in there, that wasnt my issue. I just hated the movie.

The password is...boring!!

I thought that the opening scene with the three stories of coincidences was the best part, which is not so great in a three hour film.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: