http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 05:41:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 Days of Night  (Read 1848 times)
Eduardo X
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:34:08 AM »

While it wasn't disgusting in its violence, nor did I find it disturbing, this has to be the most violent R rated movie I've ever seen. It was nuts! They cut an 8 year old's head off! And show another ax-decapitation in it's full glory, three hacks before it finally comes off! Seriously, wow on the effects.

Also, wow on how horrible the movie was beyond that. I'll just say that it's worth it for gore fans, but not really for anyone else.

PSN ID: EduardoX
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 05:21:29 AM »

Gored gored!

... Damn, I'm in the mood for Ethiopian food now.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:13:22 AM »

Think I watched the first 20 minutes of it and then just fast forwarded through the rest to see if there were any boobs or anything worth redeeming such a crappy movie.
Spoiler for Hiden:
THERE WEREN'T!  mad

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »

yeah, the movie sucked pretty hard.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »

loved it

A new one
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »

I enjoyed it.. the girl was really cute.

As a gore fan though.. it was terribly average.

I just watched Storm Warning last night.. much better gore.

"Goonies never say die"
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »

While not a great horror movie, i thought it was a half decent one.  I enjoyed it and don't regret the matinee price i paid to see it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »

Didn't do a lot for me but I thought the cinematography was quite good.

Quote from: El-Producto on May 01, 2008, 11:30:04 AM

I enjoyed it.. the girl was really cute.

You should watch Dark City. 
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »

I liked the film too; not a great movie, but interesting enough. I'm also a fan of the graphic novel series on which the movie was based - and while I think the idea of the story is better than its actual execution, it's worth checking out. Graphic novels of note: The Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 01, 2008, 01:32:49 PM

I liked the film too; not a great movie, but interesting enough. I'm also a fan of the graphic novel series on which the movie was based - and while I think the idea of the story is better than its actual execution, it's worth checking out. Graphic novels of note: The Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man

That's one of the things that disappointed me with the movie- when I first heard the concept, I was hoping for at least a little exploration of the actual day-to-day mechanics of how you survive 30 days under those circumstances.  But the movie almost completely glossed that over.  Perhaps somewhat justifiable due to a 2 hour runtime but I've heard that the graphic novel really doesn't tackle it much either. 
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

That's the truth. For me, that's the biggest problem with sci-fi or fantasy: the premise is intriguing and thought-provoking, but then either little is done with it or it turns out the premise is the only intriguing thing. Kind of like videogaming; we're promised something new, innovative with great A.I. and depth. Then it's back to resource gathering and brain-dead computer "opponents." It's lucky I have a five-minute attention sp

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »

heh, if you had issues with a kid getting whacked then don't go see Aliens vs Predator: Requiem  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »

I enjoyed it, but the whole time I felt guilty for talking my wife into seeing it. She hated it and it was obvious.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 02:15:52 PM

heh, if you had issues with a kid getting whacked then don't go see Aliens vs Predator: Requiem  icon_twisted

actually, as a general rule of thumb, don't go see Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

Back on topic:  I think I enjoyed 30 Days of Night mostly due to having 2 decades of the vampire as emo Robert Smith wannabe shoved down my throat.  It was nice to break out of the Anne Rice mold and see them portrayed as essentially sharks on land.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat
Back on topic:  I think I enjoyed 30 Days of Night mostly due to having 2 decades of the vampire as emo Robert Smith wannabe shoved down my throat.  It was nice to break out of the Anne Rice mold and see them portrayed as essentially sharks on land.

That's pretty much what I liked about it too. I ended up enjoying the movie quite a bit.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on May 01, 2008, 05:36:14 PM

Quote from: hepcat

That's pretty much what I liked about it too. I ended up enjoying the movie quite a bit.
Now that you mention it: yeah. I've never much cared for the view of the vampire as a romantic, misunderstood tragic figure. There are quite a few authors and a tv show or two that like that interpretation but not me.  Like Xander said, " I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say they're not good."

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 04:10:25 PM

I think I enjoyed 30 Days of Night mostly due to having 2 decades of the vampire as emo Robert Smith wannabe shoved down my throat.  It was nice to break out of the Anne Rice mold and see them portrayed as essentially sharks on land.

It's been well more than 2 decades.  Dracula was written in 1897.  smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »

Also, I was very disappointed to see an actor of Danny Huston's caliber reduced to slumming as the lead bad guy with zero dialogue. I kept thinking "man, that looks like Danny Huston but why would he waste his time in a role like this?"  Then I saw his name in the end credits....
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 06:55:57 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 01, 2008, 06:25:47 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 04:10:25 PM

I think I enjoyed 30 Days of Night mostly due to having 2 decades of the vampire as emo Robert Smith wannabe shoved down my throat.  It was nice to break out of the Anne Rice mold and see them portrayed as essentially sharks on land.

It's been well more than 2 decades.  Dracula was written in 1897.  smile

i don't recall ol' drac pining away for his mortality, lamenting his need for blood or any of the other goth/emo crap that got stacked onto the mythos in recent years.  the drac in bram's novel slept in dirt, loved killin' and would never have hung out with tom cruise.   icon_wink

plus, the myth of the vampire wasn't started by bram.  there are plenty of variations on the monster in different cultures...and few of them are witty, urbane men about town who love designer clothes and posing on top of gargoyle fixtures 25 stories up at night.

Like Xander said, " I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say they're not good."

i always loved that throwaway line from Otto the Bus Driver on The Simpsons, "Hey man, you got any books written from the vampire's point of view?!"

Also, I was very disappointed to see an actor of Danny Huston's caliber reduced to slumming as the lead bad guy with zero dialogue.

don't watch the proposition then.  he's got minimal dialog in that one, too.  but man does he steal the movie when he does talk.  absolutely loved that film.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:02:25 PM by hepcat » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 07:26:59 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 01, 2008, 06:55:57 PM

don't watch the proposition then.  he's got minimal dialog in that one, too.  but man does he steal the movie when he does talk.  absolutely loved that film.

It's somewhere in my Netflix queue.  But if he steals the movie then it sounds like he's not being wasted, unlike 30 Days of Night. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »

He is amazing in The Proposition. Definitely outshines the brilliant (and beautiful) Guy Pierce.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 02:37:41 AM »

*shrug*  I liked the movie. smile
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »

I'll say I'm tired of the four decades of whiny vampires (see "Barnabas Collins"), but other than that I agree with hepcat.  Nasty vampires who aren't cool or make me want to join them. HURRAH

Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 02:55:30 AM »

I enjoyed it for the most part.  Wasn't thrilled with the final resolution, but an enjoyable popcorn horror flick.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 03:06:16 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on May 02, 2008, 02:47:00 AM

I'll say I'm tired of the four decades of whiny vampires (see "Barnabas Collins"), but other than that I agree with hepcat.  Nasty vampires who aren't cool or make me want to join them. HURRAH

ooh, good call.  i'd forgotten about ol' barnabas.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 02, 2008, 03:06:16 PM

Quote from: sgoldj on May 02, 2008, 02:47:00 AM

ooh, good call.  i'd forgotten about ol' barnabas.

I wish Icould but the wife drags out the VCR just to spend some quality time with him at least once a year.   Uggg, The horror, and not in a good way.

morlac00 on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 03:40:49 AM »

I'm watching this now and about 20 minutes or so from the finale. Overall my impression is "meh" but there's lots of blood to go 'round and the overhead shot of the vampire attack was cool.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:08:28 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 05, 2008, 03:40:49 AM

I'm watching this now and about 20 minutes or so from the finale. Overall my impression is "meh" but there's lots of blood to go 'round and the overhead shot of the vampire attack was cool.

It can't be very good if you're resurrecting a month old thread in the middle of the movie to post your thoughts.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:07 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 05, 2008, 04:08:28 AM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 05, 2008, 03:40:49 AM

It can't be very good if you're resurrecting a month old thread in the middle of the movie to post your thoughts.

Bingo.

And... done. I really, really liked the final shot and how you can the following into it:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Melissa George hunts the rest of the vamps down out of vengeance.

Overall, not great but not awful. Far from the worst vampire film I've ever seen. I'd give it a C or a C+ for that final shot. Her eyes are absolutely dazzling.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »

I finally caught this several weeks ago... and I actually liked it. The cinematography was pretty good. The vampires were brutal. And overall I found it to be a refreshing change of pace for a vampire film. I would give a 80 out of 101... or a B, if you like.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 12:19:56 AM »

I was completely underwhelmed.  Mainly for the same reason others had, it was a great concept that they really did not exploit.   I think Pitch Black did a better job with the concept, albeit with nonvampire monsters.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 12:26:19 AM »

It wasn't a bad vampire movie, but there was so much potential to be great that was left out that leaves it somewhat unsatisfying.  A lot of regular holes as well, but those are generally forgiven somewhat in the vampire/horror genre.

Overall I'm disappointed by it, mainly because there was so much obvious wasted potential to be uber-cool and uber-suspenseful.  Done right, this could have been the seminal vampire movie, as is, it's a footnote.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: