http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:48:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 25 Marines killed in last 12 months... by motorcycle crashes  (Read 803 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:31:25 PM »

Article

Twenty-five Marines have died in motorcycle crashes since last November -- all but one of them involving sport bikes that can reach speeds of well over 100 mph, according to Marine officials. In that same period, 20 Marines have been killed in action in Iraq.
The Marine Corps has had a long-standing policy for all Marines who ride motorcycles to take a mandatory basic riding course. More recently, it added a second training course specifically designed to train Marines who ride sport bikes.

Any Marine caught riding, even on leave, without going through the training courses faces Marine Corps punishment, officials say.

Not planning on buying a sport bike, are you, Kato?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 05:52:34 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »

ninja

I have a hard enough time driving a regular car.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »

I found some info from a report in 2007.  Apparently the really bad groups for accidental death are infantry, artillery, pilots ... and the helicopter/aircraft maintenance personnel (  confused )

The avionics guys are rock solid, however.

mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 02:27:15 AM »

I can understand this statistic. It is a miracle when I was that age and riding a sport bike I did not get killed or injured. I would think the Marines would bring an extra bravado to the equation and stack the odds against them.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 02:30:55 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 31, 2008, 08:13:02 PM

I found some info from a report in 2007.  Apparently the really bad groups for accidental death are infantry, artillery, pilots ... and the helicopter/aircraft maintenance personnel (  confused )

Helicopter/aircraft maintenance are in constanst dangerous working conditions so I don't understand the confusion. Combine this with the off-duty social situations I am surpised the death rate isn't close to 75%.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:32:59 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 25 suicides and they were using this as a cover-up  icon_eek

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 05:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 01, 2008, 03:32:59 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 25 suicides and they were using this as a cover-up  icon_eek

I was thinking a bit along the same lines, but more like - some of the deaths may well have been suicides with no direct evidence to prove it.  Also, some of the Marines may be depressed and couldn't care less - consciously or subconsciously - whether their risky behavior ends in death.  Yet another possibility likely is that condition (not sure if it has an official name) where people who have experienced extreme high-risk situations need to repeat events that will produce the same sensations.  I think those are further broken down to some who crave the same feelings, and others who are more likely depressed and can't feel anything at all, and may be trying to break through that. 

I don't think I'm explaining this very well, I'm in need of some coffee I believe.  I'm also no expert, but someone here is (warning, maybe?) and I'd be interested in his thoughts on the subject, whoever it is...   icon_confused

I'm also somewhat wary about the story, as in - what was the point of it? Was it simply an informational report, or worse, ie: "War is not as dangerous as everyday life?"  icon_neutral 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »

You guys are reading far too much into it. It's a problem in all branches, it's just that the press decided to report it this time. Has more to do with young kids with money buying too powerful bikes that they don't know how to ride. See it all the time in the AF, its the cool thing to do for the young airmen who are out on their own for the first time in their lives and have money to spend. We have had a few serious accidents last summer, but luckily no deaths yet.

The guys that kill themselves are the ones with financial and marriage problems, there aren't any cover ups. The suggestion that there is a cover up is kind of silly.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 01, 2008, 03:32:59 AM

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

gellar
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 04:55:27 AM »

Quote from: mori on November 01, 2008, 02:30:55 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 31, 2008, 08:13:02 PM

Helicopter/aircraft maintenance are in constanst dangerous working conditions so I don't understand the confusion. Combine this with the off-duty social situations I am surpised the death rate isn't close to 75%.

Here are the graphs that I was looking at...

What I was focusing on were the "other" (i.e. non- Personal Motor Vehicle) rates.

Here's the source Powerpoint.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: