http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 04:35:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24, Season 8 discussion (there are spoiler tags for a reason): Final Season!  (Read 11303 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2010, 12:47:09 PM »

Wait, there's another mole at CTU?

Does it really count as a surprise if the only reason that it's surprising is because they've done it every single time, and you said to yourself "They can't possibly do that again?"

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »

Enjoyed it. Chloe is my hero!! Dana needs to be strapped to the nuclear material. Renee is my hero too! WOO HOO!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2010, 01:57:07 AM

oh dear god :facepalm:

Pretty much.  It's as if they had to justify her existence on the show...OKAY LET'S MAKE HER A MOLE!!!!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 23, 2010, 05:30:35 PM

Pretty much.  It's as if they had to justify her existence on the show...OKAY LET'S MAKE HER A MOLE!!!!

LOL!  That was so ridiculous and inconsistent I didn't know what to think!  If she was such a tough mole cookie why not just kill that stupid Wade to begin with rather than waste time with the whole heist?  Seems like the writers changed their mind midway after realizing they'd written her into a corner and made her more annoying than Kim (which didn't seem possible until now).

But all in all I thought it was one of the best eps of the season.  Go girl power!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 23, 2010, 05:56:46 PM

Quote from: Eightball on March 23, 2010, 05:30:35 PM

LOL!  That was so ridiculous and inconsistent I didn't know what to think!  If she was such a tough mole cookie why not just kill that stupid Wade to begin with rather than waste time with the whole heist?  Seems like the writers changed their mind midway after realizing they'd written her into a corner and made her more annoying than Kim (which didn't seem possible until now).

But all in all I thought it was one of the best eps of the season.  Go girl power!

maybe the EMP fried the block on her Cylon sleeper cell technology.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »

Dear god.  Really?  A mole in CTU again?!  It's absolutely amazing, what's happened to what was once one of the finest shows on TV.

I am definitely not regretting giving it up at last.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »

The whole Chloe bit was painful.  I hope this show gets canceled
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 23, 2010, 06:55:28 PM

The whole Chloe bit was painful.  I hope this show gets canceled

This is reportedly its last season. I'll always love '24' at its finest.. those early years. But, yeah, the repetitive plot twists have gotten old and the show's dying a natural death. I think no TV series can keep good quality once it passes 5-6 seasons. 'X-Files' died the same way. I'm enjoying this season of '24' but more in a 'goodbye' kind of way.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »

This season is so painful to watch it's ridiculous.   To me it's like a bad car wreck, it's terrible to look at....but you can't help it.   

The writing and characters are just plain awful.   I just don't know if i can take Dana much more.   Wow, surprise-surprise...Dana is a CTU mole.   Gimme a damn break.   My wife is done watching and i'm seriously considering it myself.   

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »

So are all of you critics gonna keep watching?  disgust

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on March 23, 2010, 09:40:34 PM

This season is so painful to watch it's ridiculous.   To me it's like a bad car wreck, it's terrible to look at....but you can't help it.   

The writing and characters are just plain awful.   I just don't know if i can take Dana much more.   Wow, surprise-surprise...Dana is a CTU mole.   Gimme a damn break.   My wife is done watching and i'm seriously considering it myself.   

Noooooo!  You must stick it out til the bitter end!!!  Suffer (and enjoy) with the rest of us  icon_surprised
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on March 23, 2010, 11:46:14 PM

definitely.  I need something to bitch about every week.

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2010, 12:26:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2010, 11:50:56 PM

Exactly.  I can't wait until the President of Iranistan turns out to be a mole as well.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2010, 01:22:59 AM »

Oh no, not her! She's the mole? She's too dumb to get rid of a loser boyfriend, but she's smart enough to be the mole?

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:32 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 24, 2010, 12:26:32 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2010, 11:50:56 PM

Exactly.  I can't wait until the President of Iranistan turns out to be a mole as well.

I stopped watching several episodes ago (I think it was the episode where EVERYTHING CHANGED), but morbid curiosity keeps me reading along in the thread.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2010, 07:07:33 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 24, 2010, 01:28:32 AM

I stopped watching several episodes ago (I think it was the episode where EVERYTHING CHANGED), but morbid curiosity keeps me reading along in the thread.

Same here.  This thread is much more entertaining than the show!

Steam profile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2010, 01:25:04 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 23, 2010, 08:33:22 AM

I thought it was a neat little twist.  They lulled us into thinking there wouldn't be a mole this season, and they actually managed a surprise without killing off a main character.  I'd rather see them execute an old plotline well (as this was) than have surprises out of nowhere just for the shock value.  The action has ratcheted up nicely these last two episodes, and I think they've finally hit their groove for this season.

I would agree except for the mole twist.  Not one hour ago she was in tears ready to confess to the corrections officer.  This turn doesn't make any sense even by 24 standards.

Otherwise I've enjoyed the past three episodes and I was thinking about halfway through this week's episode how nice it was that they've managed to stick with a single threat for such a long term instead of changing things up every four episodes like the past few seasons. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2010, 02:45:17 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 25, 2010, 01:25:04 AM

I thought it was a neat little twist.  They lulled us into thinking there wouldn't be a mole this season, and they actually managed a surprise without killing off a main character.  I'd rather see them execute an old plotline well (as this was) than have surprises out of nowhere just for the shock value.  The action has ratcheted up nicely these last two episodes, and I think they've finally hit their groove for this season.

I would agree except for the mole twist.  Not one hour ago she was in tears ready to confess to the corrections officer.  This turn doesn't make any sense even by 24 standards.

Sadly I have to agree.  If she was such a kick-ass mole there was absolutely no reason for her to act scared and wimpy when meeting Wade and Dufus at her apartment, not to mention let them bitchslap her.  If she was in danger of losing her cover, there was no time to mess with their stupid demands, she should have just shot them both in her apartment.  Instead she jeopardizes her identity and her mole cover by helping them with an inane bank robbery.  The only thing more inane would be a mountain lion hiding in the bank.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 25, 2010, 02:45:17 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 25, 2010, 01:25:04 AM

Sadly I have to agree.  If she was such a kick-ass mole there was absolutely no reason for her to act scared and wimpy when meeting Wade and Dufus at her apartment, not to mention let them bitchslap her.  If she was in danger of losing her cover, there was no time to mess with their stupid demands, she should have just shot them both in her apartment.  Instead she jeopardizes her identity and her mole cover by helping them with an inane bank robbery.  The only thing more inane would be a mountain lion hiding in the bank.

I bet she dies when she jumps in a getaway car only to find a mountain lion hiding in it.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »

I like how their cell phones are EMP resistant.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2010, 01:52:35 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 25, 2010, 01:49:42 PM

They actually explained that- the NSA team showed up with new cellphones for everybody. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 25, 2010, 01:52:35 PM

They actually explained that- the NSA team showed up with new cellphones for everybody. 

Ah I must have missed that when I was rolling my eyes from having NSA magically show up again right after another CTU attack. At least this time CTU showed them who is boss, rather than having NSA take over.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 25, 2010, 01:57:24 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 25, 2010, 01:52:35 PM

Ah I must have missed that when I was rolling my eyes from having NSA magically show up again right after another CTU attack. At least this time CTU showed them who is boss, rather than having NSA take over.

give it time, there's still 11 episodes left.

Because I can,
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2010, 12:19:07 AM »

I was rolling my eyes from having NSA magically show up again right after another CTU attack.

Jack called them. Quit rolling your eyes while watching.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:54 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on March 26, 2010, 12:19:07 AM

I was rolling my eyes from having NSA magically show up again right after another CTU attack.

they're probably mountain lions in disguise.

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2010, 12:40:21 AM »

No More 24

BREAKING NEWS - “24: DAY EIGHT” WILL BE THE AWARD-WINNING SERIES’ FINAL SEASON
 Today at 5:23pm
Two-Hour Series Finale Airs Monday, May 24, on FOX

In a joint decision made by 24’s star and executive producer Kiefer Sutherland, executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon, Twentieth Century Fox Television, Imagine Entertainment and Fox Broadcasting Company, it was determined that the acclaimed series will end its remarkable eight-season run. Jack Bauer’s last day on FOX will conclude when the final two hours of “Day Eight” air Monday, May 24 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). As the countdown to the series’ climactic conclusion races on, the final 11 hours will air uninterrupted Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Multiple award-winning series star Kiefer Sutherland reflected on the show’s run: “This has been the role of a lifetime, and I will never be able to fully express my appreciation to everyone who made it possible. While the end of the series is bittersweet, we always wanted 24 to finish on a high note, so the decision to make the eighth season our last was one we all agreed upon. This feels like the culmination of all our efforts from the writers to the actors to our fantastic crew and everyone at Fox. Looking ahead to the future, Howard Gordon and I are excited about the opportunity to create the feature film version of 24. But when all is said and done, it is the loyal worldwide fan base that made it possible for me to have the experience of playing the role of Jack Bauer, and for that I am eternally grateful.”

Executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon said, “Kiefer and I have loved every minute of making 24, but we all believe that now is the right time to call it a day. I echo his sentiments of gratitude toward the show’s amazing creative team, as well as the studio and network who have always believed in us and shown us unbelievable support.”

“24 is so much more than just a TV show – it has redefined the drama genre and created one of the most admired action icons in television history,” said Peter Rice, Chairman, Entertainment, Fox Networks Group. Kevin Reilly, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company added, “We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series and will be forever thankful to Kiefer, the producers, the cast and crew for everything they’ve put into 24 over the years. It’s truly been an amazing and unforgettable eight days.”

“We are so grateful to Kiefer and Howard who have really poured their hearts and souls into making this show over the past eight seasons,” commented Gary Newman and Dana Walden, Chairmen, Twentieth Century Fox Television. “To everyone who contributed to this iconic series over its amazing run, we want to extend our heartfelt appreciation for your incredible work.”

Added Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, “I’m so proud to have been a part of 24, which has become such a cultural phenomenon. And to Kiefer and Howard and everyone who has worked on the show, many thanks.”

Now in its eighth season with Kiefer Sutherland starring as the heroic Jack Bauer, the inventive and suspenseful 24 has been nominated for a total of 68 Emmy Awards, winning for Outstanding Drama Series in 2006. Over the course of seven seasons, Sutherland garnered seven Emmy nominations and one win for Outstanding Lead Actor – Drama Series. While the series gained global recognition, Sutherland’s portrayal of the legendary character penetrated the American psyche like no other dramatic television character to become part of the English lexicon.

Premiering November 6, 2001, 24 employed a pioneering split-screen, fast-paced format with complex interweaving storylines as viewers followed anti-terrorism agent Jack Bauer through 24 pulse-pounding episodes, each covering one hour and presented in real time. Subsequent seasons combined the show’s unique and trend-setting format while delivering compelling new elements and attracting talented actors and guest stars, including the Emmy Award-winning Cherry Jones (President Allison Taylor). The series also currently stars Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe O’Brian), Anil Kapoor (Omar Hassan), Annie Wersching (Renee Walker), Katee Sackhoff (Dana Walsh), Mykelti Williamson (Brian Hastings), Freddie Prinze Jr. (Cole Ortiz), Chris Diamantopoulos (Rob Weiss) and John Boyd (Arlo Glass).

The first six seasons were set in Los Angeles, and following the strike-induced delay of Season Seven, “24: Redemption,” a two-hour film bridging Seasons Six and Seven, was set in Africa. Washington, D.C. was the setting for Season Seven, and the final season of 24 finds Jack Bauer thwarting a terrorist attack in New York.

At the conclusion of Season Eight, 24 will have a produced a total of 194 episodes (including “24: Redemption”), making it one of the longest-running action television shows in history.

Tune in Monday, March 29 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) for the next all-new installment of 24 and Monday, April 5 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) for a special two-hour episode.

Created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran, 24 is a production of 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television in association with Teakwood Lane Productions. Howard Gordon, Evan Katz, David Fury, Manny Coto, Brannon Braga, Brad Turner, Alex Gansa, Kiefer Sutherland and Brian Grazer are executive producers, while Chip Johannessen and Patrick Harbinson serve as co-executive producers. Brad Turner will direct the series finale.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »

well since they were even considering a ninth season I'm pretty sure Jack will survive and live happily ever after with Renee.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2010, 01:35:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 27, 2010, 12:51:16 AM

well since they were even considering a ninth season I'm pretty sure Jack will survive and live happily ever after with Renee.

They already have an approved movie script from Fox. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2010, 02:46:33 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 27, 2010, 01:35:16 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 27, 2010, 12:51:16 AM

They already have an approved movie script from Fox. 

Based on the hit show 24, Fox Pictures presents... 2 - Now There Really Is No Time.  Coming soon to a theater near you.

Actually, it'll probably be more like "1.6".

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2010, 06:41:06 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 27, 2010, 02:46:33 AM

Based on the hit show 24, Fox Pictures presents... 2 - Now There Really Is No Time.  Coming soon to a theater near you.

with a special appearance by Hans Moleman as a CTU employee with a role you'll never see coming!

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »

I was six episodes behind and watched them all back-to-back last night. Maybe it was the back-to-backedness but I was really digging those episodes. The tension is great and it's not too ridiculous, even by 24 standards. So far I'd rank it ahead of Season 6, Season 4, and if they can keep going, maybe even Season 7.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »

Yeah I know Jack called them, but the retread of bringing NSA in right after another CTU attack was so been there done that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 29, 2010, 02:26:25 PM

Yeah I know Jack called them, but the retread of bringing NSA in right after another CTU attack was so been there done that.

[famous last words] at least they haven't tried to take over all of CTU yet. [/famous last words]

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:48 PM »

CTU HR:  So...let's see what we have here.  Your resume is very impressive, Mr. IMAMOLE. 

Interviewee:  Thank you, imperialist dog...I mean, Ms. Jones.

CTU HR:  I notice here on the line "Are you, in fact, a mole?" you've written "Maybe".

Interviewee:  Well, I like to keep my options open.

CTU HR:  Fair enough.  Just let me review this...yes....okay....hmmmm....you've got a 12 year gap in your employment history, your references are all named after NFL football mascots and you've erased and changed your last name twice on the application we tacked up on the telephone pole outside the Arby's down the street.  But I don't think those things are going to be a hindrance.  How soon can you start?

Interviewee:  Immediately.  By the way, can I get access to the server room tonight between the hours of 2am and 4am?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:58 PM »

I laughed. icon_lol

Steam profile
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2010, 08:08:48 PM »

I havent watched 24 in awhile but its must be getting rough.  It was pitched to NBC after fox cancelled it and they turned it down.  Yes, NBC actually felt the 24 wasnt good enough to fit in thier line up.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:05 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 29, 2010, 08:08:48 PM

I havent watched 24 in awhile but its must be getting rough.  It was pitched to NBC after fox cancelled it and they turned it down.  Yes, NBC actually felt the 24 wasnt good enough to fit in thier line up.

Which is funny because I'm pretty sure even in it's current mediocre season it's still pulling in more viewers than almost everything NBC has.

*Indeed it is! It's consistently outperformed almost all of NBC's shows, even in it's current state. In fact, it seems to average almost double the viewership of everything NBC's run against it. The only show that seems to match it's average viewer totals is Law & Order: SVU.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:16:19 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 03, 2010, 04:30:03 PM

Really? I'm actually really enjoying this season. First, I'm really happy about a few things that are not happening:

- Kim Bauer has not been threatened, kidnapped or almost fed to any species of wild animal.
- There has been no indication of a mole in CTU or a plot to take down the President.
- No branch of the American security apparatus has initiated a manhunt for Jack Bauer.

*Sigh*. There go two of the three (counting General-what's-his-name's plot as a "manhunt for Jack Bauer"). Only the absence of Kim is preventing this from falling back to the same level of cliched repetitiveness as previous seasons.

With the announcement that this is the final season, I'm still somewhat hopeful that the last few episodes will be powerful and original, since, for the first time, they shouldn't have to worry about setting up the next season, but the last couple of episodes have nonetheless been rather disappointing.

- Ash
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2010, 03:19:53 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 30, 2010, 03:17:14 PM

With the announcement that this is the final season, I'm still somewhat hopeful that the last few episodes will be powerful and original, since, for the first time, they shouldn't have to worry about setting up the next season, but the last couple of episodes have nonetheless been rather disappointing.

- Ash

Reading some interviews about the ending of the show it sounds like they were down to filming the last two episodes when it was made official.  So I wouldn't expect any major course changes. 
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2010, 11:48:59 PM »

Time to stop the bashing, stand at attention and give Jack a salute for the eight seasons he's endured.  thumbsup

Thanks Jack. Your nation is in your debt.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: