http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 22 is such a nice number (updated 3-22-2010)  (Read 4789 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »

Congrats and here's to hoping it goes much better this time!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 12:14:23 AM »

Congrats!   thumbsup

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »

Woohoo!
So she's just about a month along?

PSN ID: EduardoX
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »

Attaboy.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 11:31:21 PM »

BOY am I excited! MAN, this day is awesome! SON I can't wait to see you!  Official due date, Feb 15th.  My wife has to choose between Valentines day or kids birthday Tongue
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:41:13 PM by naednek » Logged
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 11:36:54 PM »

No words can express how awesome it has been becoming a father. Congrats!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 12:51:09 AM »

Quote from: naednek on October 02, 2009, 11:31:21 PM

BOY am I excited! MAN, this day is awesome! SON I can't wait to see you!  Official due date, Feb 15th.  My wife has to choose between Valentines day or kids birthday Tongue

LOL, awesome.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 01:42:01 AM »

Great news man. Very happy for you, your wife and your little boy yet to be born.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »

That's naednek, always bucking the trend.

Seriously, out of this massive wave of OO/GT babies in the last 6-7 months I think yours will be one of only 2-3 boys.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 12:32:16 AM »

June 22, was our first date
Dec 22, I proposed
Sep 22, our wedding date

Erin was due on Feb 15th, 2010.  She was past due, so we had to schedule an induction date.  We thought it would be cool to make it Feb 22nd.  Well, while that would have been cool, the fact that he was born on the 18th is so much cooler!

I'm no longer a soon to be OO Father.

I'm now a Dad!

After over 40 hours of labor of love by my beautiful wife, we are pleased to announce, Ethan Alan Dean. Born on February 18th 2010, at 11:59 pm. Weight 8 pounds 9 ounces.

We had a few road blocks on the way, but Erin is doing well. We're both very tired. Erin has probably had 2 hours of sleep in the last two days and really needs her rest.

This was an amazing experience.  Erin had to go through 2 epidurals because the first one didn't really take, and the person administering it was someone in training.  About 6 hours later a new epidural had to be administered, and it did the trick.  There was some other complications that I won't mention, and having to help Erin and Ethan will be a challenge the first few days, but it's worth it, and we have plenty of friends and family who are there for us.

Here is his pic

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 12:37:04 AM »

Congratulations! So happy for the three of you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »

w00t!  grats!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »

CONGRATS!!  That is great news...so do we get cigars?   icon_biggrin
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2010, 04:32:35 AM »

Congrats!  I agree that 22 is a very cool #, as I celebrate a birthday that day too.

Glad that all is well!

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2010, 06:32:50 AM »

Hairy little bugger. Congratulations smile.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »

I'll be damned, good things can come from Niner fans!  slywink

Congrats man, babies are teh awesum.   thumbsup

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2010, 03:30:56 PM »

Congrats! You're in for a lot of fun, the past six months have been awesome for Carrie and I, and having my little boy to come home to everyday is awesome. Soak up as much time as you can now with him and her and enjoy it!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »

Congrats!
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »

A beautiful baby!  Congrats!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »

awesome news dude.  gratz from all of us over here.  your son and mine share the same birthday (and mine is the day before, or was, until Eli came along)

nothing is as awesome as the first time you hold a newborn son/daughter, especially after such earlier hardships. 
 thumbsup

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

Was finally discharged from the hospital at 4pm yesterday, fun times. Ethan slept most of the night, only had to wake him to change him and feed him. It was the wife who was more work Tongue

We're doing good, but tired. Parents are coming over soon and we're going to squeeze in a nap. It's gonna be a long couple of months, but it's worth it. My son is very easy going, I love holding him in my arms.

And for those counting,

Diapers Changed...

Ken 10, Erin 0 Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »

Quote from: naednek on February 21, 2010, 10:20:09 PM

And for those counting,

Diapers Changed...

Ken 10, Erin 0 Tongue

well, since you're a mod here you should be used to handling all kind of crap  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »

Congratulations!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 03:40:23 AM »

Was finally discharged from the hospital at 4pm yesterday, fun times. Ethan slept most of the night, only had to wake him to change him and feed him. It was the wife who was more work Tongue

We're doing good, but tired. Parents are coming over soon and we're going to squeeze in a nap. It's gonna be a long couple of months, but it's worth it. My son is very easy going, I love holding him in my arms.

And for those counting,

Diapers Changed...

Ken 10, Erin 0 Tongue

Call me when you can do them one handed in pitch black at 4 am  ninja  ninja2, I think there needs to be a Baby Olympics, taking care of little ones takes skills.

Also glad to hear your wife is doing okay. No one ever tells you that you need someone to help her as much as the baby. Keep us updated with photos and stories too.

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »

Congrats Ken.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »

So today was his first drs appointment.  Ethan was able to latch on right away from day one when being breast fed, but Day 3 we started having some issues.  We realized Erin's milk hasn't come in, so Ethan was getting frustrated.  He was getting some, but not enough.  When he was born, he weighed 8 pounds 9 ounces, and the next day he was at 7 pounds 15 ounces.  Today we learned that he lost 3 more ounces.  We are now supplementing with formula to get him caught up, spoke to a lactation consultant and got a good grasp on techniques.  We have a follow up tomorrow, and we're hoping there's improvement in weight gain.  He's eating much better now.

Sleep, well we're averaging about 2-3 hours a night.  But it's all broken up.  With Erin recovering it's really hard to do any shifts, so I've been taking care of Ethan and Erin.  Erin is doing better, and hopefully we can get on a set schedule so we're both not suffering as much.  We're going to have to when I go back to work, I can't operate like this.

Ethan is very easy going, doesn't fuss too much, and I just love watching him.  Can't wait till he's a little older so he can interact.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:19 AM »

wow, totally coincidental but I just found out that a local friend and his wife had twins born on the 18th too!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 04:42:46 AM »

don't worry about the weight loss over much.  it's normal for them to lose a lb at first.  both of my kids did that and it takes a little while to build it back up.  before you know it, you'll be wondering how he got so big so fast. 

if your wife isn't able to produce, make sure she understands it's not her fault or any kind of failing on her part.  women can tend to feel like they let their kids down if they can't keep up with breast milk, but it's not anything she should feel guilty about. 

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 04:15:52 PM »

Congrats!  Kid has a great crop of hair.

And for those counting,

Diapers Changed...

Ken 10, Erin 0 Tongue

Too bad being pregnant for 9 months and delivering counts for 1,654,875 points...

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010, 04:50:37 AM »

So we developed a schedule to feed so that we can get his weight back up to where it should be.

During the day Ethan fed every two hours, and then supplemented 1 oz of formula after the feedings. At night we did the same, but at every 3 hours.

We found that this schedule is quite awesome, Ethan now sleeps 3 hours at a time with no fuss. As soon as he is fed, he goes into a food coma, and is totally knocked out. We're hoping this continues smile

Today we had our follow up appointment, and to the doctor's surprise, Ethan gained 6 ounces in one day. She was expecting a 1 or 2 ounce gain. She said we can back off now smile
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2010, 01:57:35 AM »

So just a call from the Doctors that Ethan has Cystic Fibrosis. We're kinda stunned right now, and would have never thought something was wrong with him. He literally is the perfect baby, other than some weight issues due difficulties in breast feeding. He is now above his birth weight, so that's no longer an issue.

Having a hard time digesting this, not really knowing what to expect. The genetic councelor advised us to avoid the internet until we meet with them. They said this is totally treatable. But I really want to do some research, but don't want to freak my wife or myself out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2010, 02:07:30 AM »

aw man Ken, sorry to hear that.   I'd say follow their advice, wait until talking with them before digging around; without knowing what they know doing any looking may counterproductive.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2010, 03:03:12 AM »

Damn Ken, that's tough news.  So sorry to hear it.  frown

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »

Sorry Ken. Best of luck and don't let the internet freak you out. Listen to your doctor. Please keep us updated as time permits.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »

Hang in there... I know that's gotta be scary.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »

It's never good news to hear things like that from your doctor. But definitely meet with them and listen to what they have to say. We had a big sit down with our OBGYN prior to having Alexander and went over everything including Cystic Fibrosis and we felt better and determined that no matter what our baby possibly had we were going to love the hell out of him. And that's all I can really say, just continue giving that little lots of hugs and kisses and treating him like your little prince, it's tough news, but I think you guys will be strong enough to handle it.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 09, 2010, 01:57:35 AM

So just a call from the Doctors that Ethan has Cystic Fibrosis. We're kinda stunned right now, and would have never thought something was wrong with him. He literally is the perfect baby, other than some weight issues due difficulties in breast feeding. He is now above his birth weight, so that's no longer an issue.

Having a hard time digesting this, not really knowing what to expect. The genetic councelor advised us to avoid the internet until we meet with them. They said this is totally treatable. But I really want to do some research, but don't want to freak my wife or myself out.

Ken, take it a day at a time.  I can empathize a bit with you; my 4 year old has type 1 diabetes, and that diagnosis hit us like a ton of bricks.  Yes, while it's not as bad as a cancer diagnosis, it's still a life-long, serious disease.  For example, we now (and for the rest of his life) have to inject him with insulin 5-7 times a day, measure his blood glucose 4-6 times a day through a fingerstick, and carefully monitor his diet (down to each gram of carbohydrate that he consumes to effectively titrate his insuline dose).  All knowing that if he doesn't get insulin, he'll die...and if his blood sugar levels are not perfectly controlled, he will soon suffer all sorts of horrible side effects (kidney failure/transplant, blindness, micro/macrovascular complications (leading to stroke, heart attack, etc.), etc.)  However, we just take it a day at a time.  It's definitely manageable, but life-changing.

This will be harder on your wife than it will be on you...and it'll be plenty hard on you.  You'll need to be strong for her (she will blame herself for the condition, guaranteed).  If you ever want to talk, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:54:29 PM by Eightball » Logged
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 09, 2010, 06:24:39 PM

Quote from: naednek on March 09, 2010, 01:57:35 AM

Ken, take it a day at a time.  I can empathize a bit with you; my 4 year old has type 1 diabetes, and that diagnosis hit us like a ton of bricks.  Yes, while it's not as bad as a cancer diagnosis, it's still a life-long, serious disease.  For example, we now (and for the rest of his life) have to inject him with insulin 5-7 times a day, measure his blood glucose 4-6 times a day through a fingerstick, and carefully monitor his diet (down to each gram of carbohydrate that he consumes to effectively titrate his insuline dose).  All knowing that if he doesn't get insulin, he'll die...and if his blood sugar levels are not perfectly controlled, he will soon suffer all sorts of horrible side effects (kidney failure/transplant, blindness, micro/macrovascular complications (leading to stroke, heart attack, etc.), etc.)  However, we just take it a day at a time.  It's definitely manageable, but life-changing.

This will be harder on your wife than it will be on you...and it'll be plenty hard on you.  You'll need to be strong for her (she will blame herself for the condition, guaranteed).  If you ever want to talk, let me know.

+1

as I posted on FB, ask questions, be involved, get a great primary care Dr. for Ethan. Support each other, it's critical to your long term survival as a family emotionally.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2010, 05:31:56 AM »

So tomorrow, we go in and talk to the pulmonologist to get info regarding this disease.  Tuesday is the sweat test which will determine how severe it will be.

Still a little stunned.  We had an incident last night with his feeding.  He was choking and hard time swallowing his milk.  Per the dr instruction we have to feed him 1/8th of a teaspoon of salt  once a day for the sweat test.  We gave it to him last night and that's when everything happened.  Since then he has been fine. 

Like people have said here and at OO, we're going to have to take this one day at time.  We have a great support group through our family and friends, and thanks for letting me vent here.  I appreciate all the encouragement you have given me.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 10, 2010, 05:31:56 AM

So tomorrow, we go in and talk to the pulmonologist to get info regarding this disease.  Tuesday is the sweat test which will determine how severe it will be.

Still a little stunned.  We had an incident last night with his feeding.  He was choking and hard time swallowing his milk.  Per the dr instruction we have to feed him 1/8th of a teaspoon of salt  once a day for the sweat test.  We gave it to him last night and that's when everything happened.  Since then he has been fine. 

Like people have said here and at OO, we're going to have to take this one day at time.  We have a great support group through our family and friends, and thanks for letting me vent here.  I appreciate all the encouragement you have given me.

Ken,

First, I want to express my sympathy for what you are going through with your child.  I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

Most importantly, however, I think you should be encouraged that he was born now rather than 5, 10 or 20 years ago.  Chronic diseases are more manageable today than they ever have been.  With some of the medicines that are out in the market, people that suffer from these diseases can live relatively, if not fully, normal lives.  The most important thing for you to do is to try and keep a positive outlook and work closely with your son's doctors to keep his condition under control.  Research all of your options, and seek the best care that your insurance will allow.

On a side note: I don't know much about cystic fibrosis, but if he has to be on any medication that will cost a lot out of pocket for the long term, speak with your insurance and they will give you a number to call the manufacturer of the medication.  Oftentimes, they will give you the medication at a much lower cost regardless of your income.  They did this for my wife who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis.  Her co-pay had gone from $50/month to $200.  Her insurance gave her a special number to call the manufacturer, and she will now get her medication for $5/month.  She never had to divulge any type of income information or anything like that.

Good luck,

Rick
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: