http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 10:03:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Winter TV Season  (Read 486 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »

Looks like a particularly strong/entertaining winter TV season coming up, I honestly don't recall this many new shows premiering in January ever before.  A lot of strong shows returning from hiatus as well as a collection of promising (hopefully) new ones.

Returning:

Justified, Community, House of Cards, Portlandia - I don't watch any of these but have heard good things

Banshee, Bates Motel, The Americans, Cougar Town, The Following - looking forward to all of these!

New Stuff:

The Spoils of Babylon - all star cast on IFC, not sure if this is a series or what

True Detective - Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey on a TV show?  Maybe...

Intelligence - it's Sawyer with a Chuck implant!

Crisis - Gillian Anderson is in it so I'll probably give it a look

The 100 - a CW sci-fi show, always gets a chance from me

Star Crossed - a CW teen alien romance show, always gets a chance from me

Looking - some HBO gay show with Scott Bakula(!), always gets a chance from me

Helix - Ron Moore's new show, viruses, black goop, gonna give it a chance

And there's a slew of other stuff:  About A Boy, Mixology, Sirens, Resurrection, Mind Games, Bitten, Killer Women, The Red Road, Rake, Black Sails, Enlisted

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »

My wife will not let me forget for one moment that Downton Abbey returns a week from Sunday, nor does she believe that I'm cold toward this season after the way the last one ended. I will probably end up watching it because that makes her happy, but I won't last long if it veers too far into soap opera.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »

It's a brave new world that rerun season is a thing of the past. (well, really, it's a brave OLD world since I think reruns were unheard of until the 1960s).

I am looking forward to Being Human(American), Lost Girl, and curious about the new werewolf show with Supergirl.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »

Seeing as there wasn't enough content recorded to actually re-run in those days...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »

in a way I kind of miss the months of having nothing new to watch; it kind of takes away from the magic of the start of the TV season slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on December 30, 2013, 10:44:13 PM

My wife will not let me forget for one moment that Downton Abbey returns a week from Sunday, nor does she believe that I'm cold toward this season after the way the last one ended. I will probably end up watching it because that makes her happy, but I won't last long if it veers too far into soap opera.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well you can't blame the writers/producers on the ending of season 3. The actor playing Mathew wanted out because of other roles being offered. It wasn't originally in their plans to off 2 main characters in one year.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 03:39:34 AM »

Unfortunately True Detective is on pay TV ( HBO ) which I dont get.  Wouldnt mind seeing it so Ill probably have to rent the series when it comes out on disc.   Helix looks pretty creepy with a kind of cross between The X Files and The Thing.  Ill give Intelligence a chance.  It may be decent, the cast looks good.  Outside of that theres not much new that Im all that interested in. I dont know if I'll give The 100 a look after the CW gave us that utter train wreck series The Tomorrow People, a series so bad, its made me gun shy with the CW now.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on December 31, 2013, 02:15:36 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on December 30, 2013, 10:44:13 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well you can't blame the writers/producers on the ending of season 3. The actor playing Mathew wanted out because of other roles being offered. It wasn't originally in their plans to off 2 main characters in one year.

I knew about that. It was a cheesy ending but what could they do? But they have danced on the edge of soap opera more than once. The whole story arc with the servant's bastard child was pointless and annoying.

I'll give it a couple of episodes to draw me in. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »

good to see Bates Motel back soon as it has only just finished here in the UK,and i loved it,hopefully we will be closer to the US screenings this time

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on December 30, 2013, 10:47:43 PM

curious about the new werewolf show with Supergirl.

wait, what?

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 31, 2013, 10:44:12 AM

wait, what?

Bitten is a werewolf series starring Laura Vandersomethingorother, who played supergirl on Smallville.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »

Sure it wasn't a different Van Der something?

Spoiler for Jessica Van Der Steen was a country girl, too - and a supergirl to boot!:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 31, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 31, 2013, 10:44:12 AM

wait, what?

Bitten is a werewolf series starring Laura Vandersomethingorother, who played supergirl on Smallville.

ah, thanks.  Forgot about her.

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »

Yeah, what he said about Smallville.

I just finished Breaking Bad (thanks marathon) and still have the entire season of Bates Motel to watch, face off, glee, several others on dvr, supernatural still hanging on netfix, etc. not sure if I can take too many more new shows
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 31, 2013, 12:55:01 AM

in a way I kind of miss the months of having nothing new to watch; it kind of takes away from the magic of the start of the TV season slywink

I miss the special Saturday morning new season preview shows. When Saturday morning cartoons were fun, we didn't need moral or math lessons, and old man Wilkerson was also taken down by those meddling kids and their dog.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

I'm really liking True Detective.  I read that the show is going to be an anthology format, with a different cast/story each season.  This one is getting really good, imo.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 27, 2014, 07:34:27 PM

I'm really liking True Detective.  I read that the show is going to be an anthology format, with a different cast/story each season.  This one is getting really good, imo.

Yeah it's fantastic.  I've postulated elsewhere it's sort of a take on The Tale of Inspector Legrasse from Call of Cthulhu.
At the very least it's made some references to Chambers if not Lovecraft.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on December 30, 2013, 09:40:19 PM

Banshee, Bates Motel, The Americans, Cougar Town, The Following - looking forward to all of these!

So far Cougar Town, Banshee and The Following are back and have not disappointed. 

I was surprised by how much I like Intelligence, I had originally decided to pass.  It's nothing too far off a conventional procedural blended with Chuck, but thus far I like how they've used the chip, particularly the 3D rendering sequences.  Also it doesn't hurt that in the short amount of episodes they've already had two guest stars from Lost which of course appeals to my pathetic nostalgic sensibilities.

Helix has also been great.  Even though I'm not particularly fond of anyone in the cast (Rocketman is looking terribly old and wrinkly) and some of the "surprises" have been pretty obvious, the creepy/gory intensity has kept me looking forward to each upcoming episode.  Definitely looking forward to future episodes when 7 of 9 joins the cast.  I really have no idea how they are going to keep the show moving forward when they keep infecting and killing off characters, but I'm excited to see where it goes.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 29, 2014, 06:25:44 PM

Quote from: rittchard on December 30, 2013, 09:40:19 PM

So far Cougar Town, Banshee and The Following are back and have not disappointed. 

I was surprised by how much I like Intelligence, I had originally decided to pass.  It's nothing too far off a conventional procedural blended with Chuck, but thus far I like how they've used the chip, particularly the 3D rendering sequences.  Also it doesn't hurt that in the short amount of episodes they've already had two guest stars from Lost which of course appeals to my pathetic nostalgic sensibilities.

Helix has also been great.  Even though I'm not particularly fond of anyone in the cast (Rocketman is looking terribly old and wrinkly) and some of the "surprises" have been pretty obvious, the creepy/gory intensity has kept me looking forward to each upcoming episode.  Definitely looking forward to future episodes when 7 of 9 joins the cast.  I really have no idea how they are going to keep the show moving forward when they keep infecting and killing off characters, but I'm excited to see where it goes.
Just saw the 1st and 2nd show of Helix last night and.... I'm not sure yet... I had recorded the limited commercial version of the two episodes (recorded back to back and total of 1.5 hours with the few commercials they had..(WOW 1/2 an hour of commercial for 2 hours of show... never realized that)).. Anyway, with that viewing, I had to force myself to watch the last 1/2 hour... Usually if I am into a show, I have to force myself to stop so I can get some sleep.. I have 2 more episodes recorded, so I will watch them, but if the bug doesn't catch me  paranoid I'll be out...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: