http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:58:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 NHL Playoffs (LA Kings: Stanley Cup Champs)  (Read 17083 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 24, 2012, 03:59:52 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 24, 2012, 03:40:30 AM

NHL must hate who's left in the West

The fix is in for LA.  VLAC.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 24, 2012, 04:06:52 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 24, 2012, 03:59:52 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 24, 2012, 03:40:30 AM

NHL must hate who's left in the West

The fix is in for LA.  VLAC.

It's the largest market left!  It's true!!!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 24, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 24, 2012, 03:28:32 AM

Bye bye Hawks!

Yep. Wow, didn't expect them to lose their last game 4-zip. I thought if there was a team that was for sure going to beat the team finishing above them it was the Hawks. I don't like it when the sunbelters get beyond the 1st and I'm hoping the Preds beat them next round. And come on Devils, take out those suntanning swamp cats!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 22, 2012, 03:17:17 AM

Quote from: gellar on April 22, 2012, 02:49:05 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 22, 2012, 02:39:49 AM

Wouldn't the white out work better if the team they are backing was also wearing white??

Back before the NHL fucked it up, the home team always wore white.  The tradition came from that.

Ah I didn't know that.  I always wondered why the NHL was backwards that way.  Although I guess the NFL wears colors at home.

Ya, it used to be Home = white and Away = whatever colour from the rainbow the visiting team is. Which was one of the best parts of going to a game live in that every game you would see different bright coloured jerseys. Now it's always "Your team colour" vs. white. When I go to a Leafs game it's Blue vs White. Every time. It sucks.

Apparently the change was made when 3rd jerseys became popular and most of them were non-white. Instead of making the visiting team wear white once in a while when the home team wanted to use their 3rds, they changed the whole thing up.

It's a small thing, but it sucks, makes me a bit more angry than it should, and still actually confuses me once in a while when I turn on a game at random.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2012, 08:12:09 PM »

My prediction about attendance at Coyote games in Scottsdale next round; 20-33% of the seats will be filled by Canadians on golfing vacations.  Tongue
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 23, 2012, 11:55:28 PM

My thoughts today on the Blues/Kings series:  Whoever wins will lose the next round... it's going to be that brutal and could well go seven games (and multiple OTs).  Attrition is going to destroy both teams.

Also since both teams basically play the same defensive shell/counterattack, the series is going to come down to special teams execution.  LA might have a slight early advantage here given that the Blues got to play a terrible, terrible PK team in San Jose and could be rusty in facing an actual good PK for the first game or so against LA.  That's grasping at straws though... realistically both teams are pretty even.

Also due to the play styles, if there are no penalties called these games will be as boring as a 90s Devils series.

The same could be said of the Nashville/Phoenix series.  Both teams have outstanding goaltending and play solid defensively.  I would not be surprised to see both series go 7 games.  The only time LA soundly defeated the Blues this season was before Hitchcock took over and Halak was playing like ass back in October.  The next 3 games were split - 1-1-1 and were all decided by 1 goal.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »

It's a small thing, but it sucks, makes me a bit more angry than it should, and still actually confuses me once in a while when I turn on a game at random.

I like it. Teams should wear their colors at home, not be forced to wear white.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »

Quote from: Koz on April 22, 2012, 11:39:32 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 22, 2012, 11:14:24 PM

What the fuck was Seguin doing wearing that big chain link around his neck? (post game interview)

It's given by the team to a player after every win in the playoffs. Last year it was some old beat up jacket bought on EBay, this time it's ridiculous chain link necklace. It's a team unity thing I think.

Also, back to back game days followed by a two day layoff before a Game 7. Eff you NBC.
Screw those really boring awards.  After a Blues win, the players vote and hand out this wonderful award to someone:

The Weenie of the Game

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »

Quote from: theohall on April 24, 2012, 08:37:30 PM

Quote from: gellar on April 23, 2012, 11:55:28 PM

My thoughts today on the Blues/Kings series:  Whoever wins will lose the next round... it's going to be that brutal and could well go seven games (and multiple OTs).  Attrition is going to destroy both teams.

Also since both teams basically play the same defensive shell/counterattack, the series is going to come down to special teams execution.  LA might have a slight early advantage here given that the Blues got to play a terrible, terrible PK team in San Jose and could be rusty in facing an actual good PK for the first game or so against LA.  That's grasping at straws though... realistically both teams are pretty even.

Also due to the play styles, if there are no penalties called these games will be as boring as a 90s Devils series.

The same could be said of the Nashville/Phoenix series.  Both teams have outstanding goaltending and play solid defensively.  I would not be surprised to see both series go 7 games.  The only time LA soundly defeated the Blues this season was before Hitchcock took over and Halak was playing like ass back in October.  The next 3 games were split - 1-1-1 and were all decided by 1 goal.

Agreed on the defensive bit for all four teams, but I just think our teams are meaner and will end up doing a lot more hitting than the other two teams.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 25, 2012, 02:07:23 AM »

That's so cute! Mean Western Conference teams!! Ha!!  slywink

Getting my last post in before I'm kicked out!

What a disappointment. Never expected them to really contend for The Cup or even reach the ECF, but man, you gotta at least win this round agains the Panthers!!!!

Marty sucked tonight and hopefully retires.
Zach is on his way to Detroit.
Other than Volchenkov, the defense didn't look too bad in this series.
Kovy played well all season and in this series, just out there alone a lot of the time against FLA.
Elias, Clarkson, Parise, Henrique all didn't show up when they needed them. The scoring depth was supposed to help this team win a series this year but they vanished.
No sense of urgency either.

Frustrating.

Ah well, they are going to have cap space, but if they have real money to spend, unload it for Suter.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:15:31 AM by Devil » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 25, 2012, 02:20:56 AM »

Suter is going to Detroit too, yo.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:18 AM »

(I'm back for another game)

Really think Detroit will get both? That's NFL-Like if they grab the 2 best free agents. Good for them though if they do.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 25, 2012, 02:30:10 AM »

Jeez Devil, if you took a minute to stop whining you might have noticed your team won tonight.  Tongue Zajak for the overtime winner - that was a good game by him and Kovy. Looking forward to the 7th game.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 25, 2012, 02:35:38 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 25, 2012, 02:25:18 AM

Really think Detroit will get both? That's NFL-Like if they grab the 2 best free agents. Good for them though if they do.

If Lids retires, they have lots of cap space.  I see it happening.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 25, 2012, 03:22:42 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 25, 2012, 02:30:10 AM

Jeez Devil, if you took a minute to stop whining you might have noticed your team won tonight.  Tongue Zajak for the overtime winner - that was a good game by him and Kovy. Looking forward to the 7th game.

I noticed! Shocked, but I noticed!!

I did do a lot of whining, but really, you'd be pretty pissed if your team lost to the Panthers!

All my whining stands though, it's all true!  icon_biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 25, 2012, 03:59:21 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 25, 2012, 02:35:38 AM

Quote from: Devil on April 25, 2012, 02:25:18 AM

If Lids retires, they have lots of cap space.  I see it happening.

Assuming the cap goes up again (let's give them at least $22 million free), they do have holes created by Hudler, Helm, Stuart, and Quincey hitting various levels of free agency to worry about, too, in addition to filling Lidstrom's spot.  It'll be interesting to see how they could manage to get both Weber and Parise signed and fill their other holes

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »

GO CAPS!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  icon_biggrin

Caps fans have been bashing GM McPhee over the Joel Ward signing all season long. For one second though, he looks like a genius.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »

Bruins are out.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 26, 2012, 02:48:57 AM »

Yup.  Washington didn't really deserve to win that game, though.  Tourney scores are updated.  Less than 1/4 of the entries have a shot at a cup winner.  If the Rangers go out tomorrow, that gets cut in half.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 26, 2012, 02:56:38 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

There, that's out of my system. What a sequence. Knuble - who was only back in the lineup because Nick Backstrom got himself suspended - starts the play, and Ward, who's been under fire since he was supposed to be signed to be clutch in the playoffs, justifies just about every penny of that $3M this year by ramming it home.

George McPhee just let out a long sigh of relief on that one. And I'm saved any beard-related decisions for another little while!

I will say this - utmost, absolute respect to the Bruins and their fans, with one exception. That was the closest-played series in history (only time ever that six or seven games have all been decided by one goal), it was agonizing at every point including when the Caps had a lead, the trolling was pretty much good-natured on both sides, and pretty much every player was a warrior. I don't hate Boston after this series the way I've hated the Rangers, Flyers, and Pens - pure respect for a battle hard-fought, either way it would have gone.

That said - fans in Boston should NOT have been chucking their beers at the Caps as they celebrated the goal. That was a low move, and sucked, and I'd be mad about it if Washington fans did the same.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:23 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 26, 2012, 02:48:57 AM

Yup.  Washington didn't really deserve to win that game, though.

Umm...the team that wins deserves to win. Awesome job Caps, I say its a bit of retribution for all those series they choked in when they were expected to win. Now that the shoes on the other foot.... icon_razz

Now if the Sens can just do it tomorrow against the Rangers.   slywink
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 26, 2012, 03:25:22 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 26, 2012, 02:31:20 AM

Bruins are out.

One thing that would make me happier would be a miracle win tomorrow night.

The only thing better than seeing Steelers fans cry is watching Bruins fans cry. Never gets old.

Beside my joy from this, to regular Bruins fans like Kozzy: They ran into a hot goalie and a team playing over their heads. What are you gonna do? They won last year, it ain't that bad.

If the Sens and Devils can win (highly doubtful)...Devils open at home against the Caps.  icon_eek
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:27:02 AM by Devil » Logged

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 26, 2012, 03:30:35 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 26, 2012, 03:25:22 AM

Bruins are out.

The only thing better than seeing Steelers fans cry is watching Bruins fans cry. Never gets old.

Beside my joy from this, to regular Bruins fans like Kozzy: They ran into a hot goalie and a team playing over their heads. What are you gonna do? They won last year, it ain't that bad.

If the Sens and Devils can win (highly doubtful)...Devils open at home against the Caps.  icon_eek

You in Jersey? I'll spot you a ticket for that. I hear they're cheap, and it's an excuse to wear a Caps jersey in May. icon_wink

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 26, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »

Yah, I'm really counting on the Devils to put away the fun-in-the-sun cats tomorrow night. Seriously, I can't bare looking at Jovo-cop's gray beard for more than 1 more night.  icon_lol Go Devils!  
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:56 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on April 26, 2012, 03:30:35 AM

Quote from: Devil on April 26, 2012, 03:25:22 AM

Bruins are out.

You in Jersey? I'll spot you a ticket for that. I hear they're cheap, and it's an excuse to wear a Caps jersey in May. icon_wink

Nope - Stuck in Boston - I only make it down there for the Finals. Thanks though. Would LOVE to make the trip this year, but unless I'm bringing 4 defensemen with me, I don't think there will be a Western Conference team coming to Newark this spring.

Wow - An outpouring of support for the Devils?! Thanks guys!

Need Koz and gellsy in here to put me back in my place!

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:26 AM »

Eh, it's like you said, they won it last year, can't feel too bad. I didn't even really watch the game. Sacrilege I know. While it was the closest series ever it was also one of the most boring I've ever watched. Lots of defense, lots of mistakes, bad special teams. Meh. The Bruins wouldn't have gotten past Philly or really anyone else and I don't think Washington will either.

I'll be rooting for the cats because of my man crush on Kevin Dineen, but I will support whoever wins. Don't really care for Philly or the rags or Ottawa.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 26, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »

This is what we're growing to love about Holtby, although he does sometimes get carried away.  icon_cool

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=174842
Rich Peverley tries to get in the kitchen of Braden Holtby, but the Washington netminder won't have any of it.
He reminds me of Olie Kolzig at times (who's now a consulting goaltender coach for the Caps).

Amazing series. That's the first time in Cup history every game was decided by one goal, and there were 4 OT games.

And so far, it just means my Caps will at least get as far as last year. Baby steps.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »

Ahhah Boston out! Really does my soul good.  Hard to believe that both of the Stanley Cup finalists of last year are out in the first round this year. Good old Joel Ward! I grew up watching him play for the Owen Sound Platers and he was a terrible player who somehow managed to get a decent amount of points.  I had no idea that his career had been so mediocre until the past couple of years.  Good to see that that still gets you $3 million per year.  Anyways glad to see him get a big goal!
I think Washington might be my team this year as I don't like anyone in the Western conference and I am liking this young goalie Holtby.  If the Sens go out then they're definitely my team.  Be nice for Obama to have a Washington team in the White House.  No second chances for you Thomas! lol
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 26, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »

Hahahahahaha Bruins.

Go Sens!

"Goonies never say die"
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 26, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »

Now I want to see a NJ/NSH final, as no one picked either team for Cup winners.  icon_lol

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 26, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 26, 2012, 03:08:20 PM

Now I want to see a NJ/NSH final, as no one picked either team for Cup winners.  icon_lol

Yeah I'm pretty much screwed in that thing.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2ld02e
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 26, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »

If the Panthers and Senators win tonight I'll have gone 8/8 at picking winners*.

*winning at losing that is

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 26, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »

You've got two people that will share that with you. 

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »

http://www.dave.ca/2012/04/26/boston-bruins-fans-take-racist-comments-to-social-media/

Stay classy Boston.

"Goonies never say die"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 26, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on April 26, 2012, 06:45:30 PM

Dude, seriously I don't see how this in any way reflects the sentiments of Bruins fans. A few asshat racists who live in Boston demonstrating their lack of intelligence is far from The Fans. Saying that is about as legit as saying the 1000 punks amongst a crowd of 100,000 law-abiding citizens that rioted last June in Vancouver represents The Fans. Of course that hasn't stopped some jerks here from claiming otherwise.  Roll Eyes  No need to stoop to their level though.  
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »

I guess I should have qualified my post by saying I do not believe at ALL that Bruins fans were responsible for this.  I just found it very unfortunate that stuff like this even hapens in 2012.  I would say the majority of Bruins fans I've had discussion with over the past year or so, have been nothing but good people.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:34:03 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 26, 2012, 07:27:27 PM

Dude, seriously I don't see how this in any way reflects the sentiments of Bruins fans. A few asshat racists who live in Boston demonstrating their lack of intelligence is far from The Fans. Saying that is about as legit as saying the 1000 punks amongst a crowd of 100,000 law-abiding citizens that rioted last June in Vancouver represents The Fans. Of course that hasn't stopped some jerks here from claiming otherwise.  Roll Eyes  No need to stoop to their level though.  

Yet similar logic continues to permeate generalizations about the Philadelphia fan base.  And those generalizations are often defended, not dispelled. 

I find such attention applied to any fans, regardless of the size of the sample base, to be a refreshing break from the usual vilification of Philadelphia fans.

Not that we do much to thwart such a reputation, but we aren't the only ones presenting questionable judgment. 

Good thing these fans haven't seen The Hunger Games.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:26 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 26, 2012, 07:37:39 PM

Quote from: kronovan on April 26, 2012, 07:27:27 PM

Yet similar logic continues to permeate generalizations about the Philadelphia fan base.  And those generalizations are often defended, not dispelled. 

I find such attention applied to any fans, regardless of the size of the sample base, to be a refreshing break from the usual vilification of Philadelphia fans.

Not that we do much to thwart such a reputation, but we aren't the only ones presenting questionable judgment. 

Good thing these fans haven't seen The Hunger Games.   

I thought Philly fans loved the image they are portrayed with?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 26, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 26, 2012, 07:42:26 PM

I thought Philly fans loved the image they are portrayed with?

Nice of you to illustrate my very point.

As with any grouping of fans, there are those proud of our surly nature, and those embarrassed and tired of it.

But according to most, we're all loud and proud of our asshattery.  Roll Eyes

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: April 26, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

Aww, nice to see all the Boston love. You guys really do care!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: