http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:14:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 is Half Gone. How's Your Year So Far?  (Read 457 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »

So far for the ATB clan, things have been overall good after the hard hitting times of 2010. We've had a few health scares with the kids, but nothing has resulted (Amen).  I'm enjoying my job for the first time in years and years.  Money's tight, but nothing has gone wrong.   We're getting ready to launch into a basement remodel (ask me after a few weeks of framing and running electrical wire if it's still a good year slywink ) and are expecting another child so if all goes well 2011 could end up being pretty awesome.

You.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 03, 2011, 07:35:20 PM

You.

Me, Myself, and I.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 03, 2011, 07:41:13 PM

You.

Me, Myself, and I.

imma let you finish, but 2011 is the best year of all time

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

haven't killed anyone yet, so it's been kinda dull.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »

We're getting ready to launch into a basement remodel (ask me after a few weeks of framing and running electrical wire if it's still a good year slywink ) and are expecting another child so if all goes well 2011 could end up being pretty awesome.

Congrats on both the new additions ATB!   thumbsup

I've had a pretty amazing 2011 so far.  Kicking ass at work, and actually managed to hit my yearly sales goal a full 2 months early.  It's looking right now like I'll end up making nearly twice what I did last year, which has allowed me to almost completely get rid of my massive credit card debt (only $1,500 left, down from $12,000).  Little B turned 2 in March, and is healthier and happier than I ever expected.  I was actually dreading the "terrible twos", but have found myself enjoying them immensely.  Got to take Mrs. Gratch on our first vacation in 10 years back in February, where we spent a week in Hawaii.   I've done some serious soul-searching regarding religion, have basically removed it all from my life, and am feeling more peaceful than I have in years.  The only real negative this year has been a failed IVF attempt last month, which hit us both pretty hard.  Thankfully, we're in a position that we can try things again fairly soon.

All in all, this year has been far better than it has any right to be.  I'm actually a little concerned I'm using up all my good karma, and that I'm going to get a massive beat-down sometime this fall.  Keeping the fingers crossed that's not the case.  smile

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:01:38 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »

First half of 2011?  Awesome, as per the norm.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »

Excellent!

Since the first of the year I've:

- Dropped 20 pounds with a goal of running a 5K (about halfway to meeting that goal)
- Found out we were pregnant with child #2 (due in December)
- Went on a few awesome trips (trip to the Asheboro zoo, business trip to San Francisco, a couple of great concerts)
- Bought a new family vehicle (Toyota Highlander)
- Paid off the last of our credit card debt + my car (we're down to just the house payment and the one car payment)
- At work I've taken on more responsibility but for the first time in two years truly feel like a valuable member of the team. I've "paid my dues" so to speak and instead of being the rookie I'm now being entrusted with some big projects. I've also received a ton of training which has been awesome experience.

I hope I can keep up the momentum. After a short bout of depression in January I came out the other side vowing to really turn things around and make 2011 a great year. So far I'd say the plan has exceeded my expectations.

For the second half of the year we're planning on doing some remodeling to put hardwood floors throughout the house, and we've made some significant headway on cleaning out the decade of clutter in our garage. I'm very optimistic heading into 2012.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 03, 2011, 07:58:45 PM

massive credit card debt ($12,000).  

Pfft. Amateur.

We're scraping by financially, no health crises, no disasters. My MIL is finally dying, so that's a plus if she doesn't drag it out too long. We bought a new Honda Fit in cash because we can't afford a car payment, but I had to liquidate all of our non-retirement savings to do it. Having a new car with no payment is a really nice feeling (until we need an emergency reserve that isn't there, but why borrow trouble?). This year's tomato patch looks like it's going to be my best ever; the rest of the garden is doing OK too -- we're just a few weeks away from bountiful fresh produce. Looking forward to our annual week in the Berkshires next week, where a couple of friends from MI will join us for a few nights. That will certainly be the high point of the year.

All in all, not so bad.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »

It's been...interesting.

-continued dealing with the aftermath of ending a six year relationship (we actually moved to separate places in early December)
-started working out in-home, and started shedding weight in a healthy manner (dropped ~20 lbs due to depression the last two months of last year)
-got laid off
-met a girl who I really liked, and who liked me, but screwed it up due to being messed up from former relationship
-shifted to daily workouts due to being laid off
-three months of job-searching finally landed me a new job that's paying much better than the old job, is a good resume builder, and is going well so far
-down to 165-170 lbs from a high of about 215 late last year.  In better shape than I've probably ever been.  Had to buy all new clothes
-bought a brand new car.
-realized I'm happy with being single right now.
-girl from before got back in touch, but who knows wtf is going on with that.  Hopefully some casual woo-hoo at some point soon, but we'll see.

So yeah, I have no idea what's in store for the second half of the year.  I've got a bit of schadenfreude going on in that my ex has had an unbelievably awful time of it since we split; depression, no luck acclimating to the new city, and job troubles winding up in her recent termination from the job she relocated for.  I feel bad, but at the same time...

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 07:19:06 AM »

It's been good for me.

- Proposed to my gf and getting married next January
- Started going back to the gym on a regular basis
- Happy with my current job
- Good health for me and my parents

The first half is going swimmingly well and hoping it'll continue this way for the next foreseeable future.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »

Pretty mixed year for me so far.  I've had some recent health issues that are going to cost me a lot of money when the bill comes due and I'm still working the "get by until . . . " job I thought I'd be done with two years ago.  On the other hand family related financial developments are going to be very beneficial to me if things go as planned and make the medical bills a minor issue.  So the rest of the year will hopefully be an improvement, even though at some point I make have to make a decision to pick up and make a major move later this year.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:45:19 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »

Possibly the worst year of my life (from an individual health standpoint) thus far, hoping second half brings something better.

I got very sick early on (lasted couple weeks), then tweaked my neck (lasted couple weeks), which led to insomnia (weeks and ongoing), then the infected hemmhorroids (ouch ouch ouch couple weeks), then back to insomnia with new side effects (depression, anxiety, whee!).  It's been terribly frustrating and I find myself praying for a single day where I feel "normal" and in good health.

...all that and still no announcement of Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2.  It's a cruel year!!!!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 06:52:56 PM »

Can't really complain.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »

My 35th birthday has served as a wake-up call.  Since then, I made my first doctor's appointment and got a clean bill of health, as well as a tetanus/whooping cough booster and started doing volunteer work.  My longer term plans are to cancel my cable before the fall season starts, stop spending so many nights at home, and finding events that will benefit my conversational style of meeting people over the bar scene.  I will also be getting back to the gym starting this evening, as my vacation turned into a hard break from routine that I'm ready to reverse.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: