http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 03:38:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Oscar Nominations are in  (Read 4017 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 23, 2008, 09:35:23 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 23, 2008, 09:03:49 PM

Of the current field, No Country for Old Men gets my vote by far but I haven't seen There Will Be Blood Yet (hasn't opened around here). 
I defiantly want to see There Will Be Blood before I make the final call though.

No one is preventing you from going...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 23, 2008, 10:16:40 PM

Of the current field, No Country for Old Men gets my vote by far but I haven't seen There Will Be Blood Yet (hasn't opened around here). 
I defiantly want to see There Will Be Blood before I make the final call though.

?

There Will Be Blood still isn't playing in a good portion of the country so, for me, I am indeed currently prevented from going. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 23, 2008, 10:19:07 PM

?

There Will Be Blood still isn't playing in a good portion of the country so, for me, I am indeed currently prevented from going. 

they have things called jets that will take you anywhere in the world really quickly.

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 11:16:36 PM »

Daniel Day Lewis had the performance of the decade as far as I'm concerned.  It'd be unbelievable to me if he didn't win.  That said, I think his performance (as well as Paul Dano's) outshone the movie as a whole, and don't think it should be best picture.  PT Anderson for best director, though, quite possibly. 

I loved No Country for Old Men, and hope that Javier Bardem gets the supporting actor nod, although Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War was fantastic.  No Country could win for adapted screenplay as well, although I've heard great things about Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which has quite the story behind it. 

I hope Amy Ryan wins for Supporting Actress even though I haven't seen that movie, because I have a giant crush on her from The Wire.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »

I just feel sad that I literally haven't seen anything that was nominated for *anything* this year. Not even for technical awards afik. Partly I'm too busy gaming, but I've found fewer and fewer movies that interest me at all. The few that do aren't awards-like stuff.

Last year I went to a pretty cool AMC Best Picture Showcase all-day movie marathon on Saturday, Feb. 24. It was pretty fun. For a reasonable one time fee, you got this special Best Picture Showcase ID pass (so you could come in and out of the theater between showings), and starting at 11 a.m., you could watch the 5 Best Picture nominees in succession. Most locations it was in the biggest, best theater in the multiplex. Last year it was:
-Babel
-The Queen
-The Departed
-Letters From Iwo Jima
-Little Miss Sunshine

I gave up during Sunshine only because I'd seen it on DVD, and I was trying to beat an incoming snowstorm home.

Each person also got free coupons for soda and popcorn, and you could get free refills all day long (they even let us go to the food court and bring sandwiches in for lunch and dinner). I had a lot of fun (I took my retired mom and she was a real trooper for such a long event:)), and it was a great way to catch up on the best picture nominees in a good size theater, and play catchup. I hope they do it again this year - everyone who attended seemed to love the idea. smile

Oh, I forgot, I took photos of my pass from the Showcase event:

fwiw, I found Letters From Iwo Jima the most affecting of the movies even if it was a hopeless movie to try to market, and it was perhaps too long for its own good. I couldn't really compare it to anything except maybe Peckinpah's 1977 film "Cross of Iron."

While I could appreciate The Departed's style, I'm just way past the point of being impressed by people using the C, F, MF, CS etc. other words every 3 words. I was impressed with 48 Hours when it had that kind of dialogue in 1982 when I was 17. Now that I'm an old fart, it just strikes me as unimaginative screenwriting. ***K!!!!!!!  disgust Tongue
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:22:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »

For the first time in my life (I think), I've seen all the best picture nominees before the Oscars.

Picks!

Best Picture
Atonement - Very good movie actually, even if it's not something I normally go for. I could see it winning because a lot of the voters probably do go for this type of movie.
Juno - Good movie, no where near best picture good though.
Michael Clayton - meh. I thought the flick was just ok, but the really strong performances from Wilkinson and Clooney surely help its case.

It's a near toss up between these two in my mind. I am choosing:

No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Because of Daniel Day Lewis. His performance is stronger than just best actor - he made the movie the best movie of the year.
-----------------

Best Director
Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Jason Reitman - Juno
Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton
Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country For Old Men
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
-----------------

Best Actor
George Clooney - Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood - No one else should have been nominated. smile
Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Tommy Lee Jones - In The Valley Of Elah
Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises
-----------------

Best Actress

Pass - I've only seen Juno in this category and I don't think Page deserves an Oscar for it.
-----------------

Best Support Actor

I've only seen two of these - going with Javier

Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook - Into The Wild
Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton
-----------------

Best Support Actress

I didn't see 'I'm not There', but I did see the rest of these and really none of them stand out. Gonna go with Cate.

Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Rudy Dee - American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton
-----------------

Best Original Screenplay
Juno
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages
-----------------

Best Adapted Screenplay
Atonement
Away From Her
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:58:32 AM by Mookee » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:56 PM »

My picks are short because I've missed a lot of movies. I have seen all but one or two of the movies in certain categories though so I'll go ahead and make picks in those. Especially secure in the knowledge that the one or two movies I haven't seen yet don't have a chance in hell of changing my mind.

Best Picture
No Country For Old Men

Best Director
Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country For Old Men

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Best Support Actor
Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kratz
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 05:38:49 AM »

Depends on where you live.

Of the best picture Noms, only Juno and Michael Clayton have come here, and I wasn't able to go to Michael Clayton.

I'm dying to see the others. frown

I'm surprised and pleased that Juno is on the list, I thought it was fantastic.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 23, 2008, 11:17:54 PM

Last year I went to a pretty cool AMC Best Picture Showcase all-day movie marathon on Saturday, Feb. 24. It was pretty fun. For a reasonable one time fee, you got this special Best Picture Showcase ID pass (so you could come in and out of the theater between showings), and starting at 11 a.m., you could watch the 5 Best Picture nominees in succession. Most locations it was in the biggest, best theater in the multiplex. Last year it was:
-Babel
-The Queen
-The Departed
-Letters From Iwo Jima
-Little Miss Sunshine

I gave up during Sunshine only because I'd seen it on DVD, and I was trying to beat an incoming snowstorm home.

Each person also got free coupons for soda and popcorn, and you could get free refills all day long (they even let us go to the food court and bring sandwiches in for lunch and dinner). I had a lot of fun (I took my retired mom and she was a real trooper for such a long event:)), and it was a great way to catch up on the best picture nominees in a good size theater, and play catchup. I hope they do it again this year - everyone who attended seemed to love the idea. smile

They're doing it again. I've got that day off... Who's with me?  thumbsup

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 03:21:25 AM »

Okay, the winners thus far are all over the map. Annabeth from "West Wing" showed that while she may be four foot nothin', her lungs reach to the back walls. I'm all in favor of Javier winning for "No Country" and My Fair Lady is pissed at me for missing on the Supporting Actress role. I've handicapped the race for 15 years now and to date have never predicted the winner for Best Supporting Actress. Hey, I always think this year will be different. I'll confess to being miffed that Ellen Page lost Best Actress to some random French chick, but I still think Diablo Cody is going home with the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 03:23:59 AM »

Of the Supporting Actress films that I saw (3/5), I would have preferred Amy Ryan for Gone Baby Gone. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 06:32:08 AM »

All I can say is I sure don't agree about all of the technical awards going to the Bourne Ultimatum. You won't get an argument from me about the film editing award; it certainly deserved that. But just no way sound mixing and editing was better in it than it was in either Transformers or Ratatouille. In fact the sound mixing in Transformers is the best I've ever heard.

In regards to best supporting actress, IMHO both Ryan and Blanchett were better than Swinton. I'm OK with most of the other awards, even though No Country for Old Men didn't impress me as much as it obviously did most other people. And I did think the cinematography in The Assassination of Jesse James stood out.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 07:09:56 AM »

I haven't even seen most of the movies yet since I'm wating for them on DVD, but I was very glad to see Once won for best original song.  That's a great movie with some wonderful songs (and this coming from someone who does not like musicals at all). 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: