http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:05:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Oscar Nominations are in  (Read 4009 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:18 PM »

Best Picture
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Best Director
Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Jason Reitman - Juno
Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton
Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country For Old Men
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood

Best Actor
George Clooney - Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Tommy Lee Jones - In The Valley Of Elah
Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie - Away From Her
Marion Cotillard - La Vie En Rose
Laura Linney - The Savages
Ellen Page - Juno

Best Support Actor
Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook - Into The Wild
Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton

Best Support Actress
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Rudy Dee - American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

Best Original Screenplay
Juno
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages

Best Adapted Screenplay
Atonement
Away From Her
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Best Visual Effects
The Golden Compass
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Transformers

Best Editing
The Bourne Ultimatum
Into The Wild
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Best Sound Editing
The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country For Old Men
Ratatouille
There Will Be Blood
Transformers

Best Sound Mixing
The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country For Old Men
Ratatouille
3:10 To Yuma
Transformers

Best Animated Feature
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf's Up

Best Art Direction
American Gangster
Atonement
The Golden Compass
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood

Best Cinematography
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Atonement
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Best Costume Design
Across The Universe
Atonement
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
La Vie En Rose
Sweeney Todd

Best Documentary Feature
No End In Sight
Operation Homecoming: Writing The Wartime Experience
Sicko
Taxi To The Dark Side
War/Dance

Best Documentary Short Subject
Freeheld
La Corona (The Crown)
Salim Baba
Sari's Mother

Best Foreign Language Film
Beaufort
The Counterfeiters
Katyn
Mongol

Best Makeup
La Vie En Rose
Norbit
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Best Original Music Score
Atonement
The Kite Runner
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
3:10 To Yuma

Best Music - Original Song
Once
Enchanted - "Happy Working Song"
August Rush
Enchanted - "That's How You Know"
Enchanted - "So Close"

Best Animated Short Film
I Met The Walrus
Madame Tutli-Putli
MÍme Les Pigeons vont Au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)
My Love (Moya Lyubov)
Peter & The Wolf

Best Live Action Short Film
At Night
Il Supplente (The Substitute)
Le Mozart Des Pickpokets
Tanghi Argentini
The Tonto Woman

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »

wow, out of that whole list there are only 5 movies that I have seen, and most of those only show up in  Best Visual Effects or lower.  Are they even having an Oscars ceremony on TV this year?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »

Here are my thoughts - I think "There Will Be Blood" will wind up the big winner of the night with Paul Thomas Anderson taking home the gold as best director. I think we're going to see the Academy hand out a trophy to a stripper though for best original script with "Juno" and I also believe little Ellen Page will walk away holding one as well. There's too much good will towards the story behind "Juno" as well as for the movie itself. Also, I think "That's How You Know" is probably going to take the trophy from the three songs nominated out of "Enchanted." I have a personal affinity for "Happy Working Song" primarily because I couldn't stop laughing at the combination of the lyrics and the visuals, but "That's How You Know" is the exact moment when Amy Adams became an A-list star along with it being a better song overall.

What's everyone else think?

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »

I haven't seen his performance, but I hope DDL wins.  He's a fabulous actor who deserves recognition.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 22, 2008, 03:41:25 PM

wow, out of that whole list there are only 5 movies that I have seen, and most of those only show up in  Best Visual Effects or lower.  Are they even having an Oscars ceremony on TV this year?

Should the strike drag on until March or April like I think it will, then it will probably be like the Golden Globes and find itself limited to a press conference announcing the winners. Somehow I think that the Academy will make it up to everyone once the strike is settled and throw a big gala for everyone involved. Televised, of course. slywink

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2008, 03:42:22 PM

I haven't seen his performance, but I hope DDL wins.  He's a fabulous actor who deserves recognition.

Although his perfomance was excellent I doubt he'll win only because he already won in the 90's for his role in My Left Foot. And since he got passed over for his outstanding supporting role in Gangs of NY, I don't see this perfomance netting him his 2nd oscar. IMHO I think the actor oscar should really go to Viggo Mortensen for his role in Eastern Promises, which was just an outstanding peformance.
The fact that Eastern Promises hasn't been nominated for best editing and screenplay adaptation has already made me more or less write off this years Oscars. Of course all the quality editing and adaptation in that film is of the clever, cerebal and subtle type, which Hollywood has shown time and again amounts to nothing at nomination time.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »

Wow... the only thing on that list I've seen is Enchanted.  Not sure if that says something about me or the current movie industry (probably a little of both).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 04:22:06 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2008, 04:12:03 PM

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2008, 03:42:22 PM

Although his perfomance was excellent I doubt he'll win only because he already won in the 90's for his role in My Left Foot. And since he got passed over for his outstanding supporting role in Gangs of NY, I don't see this perfomance netting him his 2nd oscar. IMHO I think the actor oscar should really go to Viggo Mortensen for his role in Eastern Promises, which was just an outstanding peformance.
The fact that Eastern Promises hasn't been nominated for best editing and screenplay adaptation has already made me more or less write off this years Oscars. Of course all the quality editing and adaptation in that film is of the clever, cerebal and subtle type, which Hollywood has shown time and again amounts to nothing at nomination time.

I totally forgot about Eastern Promises- I saw the commercials and wanted to see it but then didn't, so off to the Netflix queue it goes!

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »

I was lukewarm on Eastern Promises.  Viggo was fine but I probably wouldn't have even given him the nomination, much less an actual award for it. 

Given the current field I think DDL has the edge on Best Actor.  If Clooney hadn't won Supporting Actor relatively recently I think he would be a stronger contender. 
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »

Eastern Promises was excellent but I never thought Oscar when watching Viggo's performance. No real surprises on the nominations though, another boring year. I think No County For Old Men will be the big winner this year.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »

Quote from: Simon on January 22, 2008, 04:56:38 PM

Eastern Promises was excellent but I never thought Oscar when watching Viggo's performance.

Same here, Simon.  Watching "Sweeny Todd", I KNEW Johnny Depp would be nominated and he deserves it.  I hope he wins Best Actor.

Juno nominated for best picture makes me want to throw up....

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »

I've seen all of the BP nominees except for There Will Be Blood...

Umm.  Let's hope There Will Be Blood gets the win.  paranoid

Does the general movie going public even care about the Oscars anymore?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »

I haven't seen a single film on this list, let alone heard of 90% of them.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 22, 2008, 05:08:28 PM

Quote from: Simon on January 22, 2008, 04:56:38 PM

Eastern Promises was excellent but I never thought Oscar when watching Viggo's performance.

Same here, Simon.  Watching "Sweeny Todd", I KNEW Johnny Depp would be nominated and he deserves it.  I hope he wins Best Actor.

Juno nominated for best picture makes me want to throw up....

Your impression of Mortensen's performance surprise me, since everyone I know who's watched Eastern Promises has come away raving about his performance. And that includes casual film viewers as well as hardcore film buffs.
I do think that Depp has a very good chance at walking away with the Oscar. I just wish he'd gotten it for his previous performance in PotC Curse of the Black Pearl.

As well, IMO Cate Blanchett walks away with an Oscar this year. I'm just not sure if she'll get it for actress or supporting actress, but she gets 1 none the less.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:06:22 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »

Blanchett will get the award for supporting  It's already a minor miracle she got the actress nomination since it wasn't a well-received movie. 
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 22, 2008, 05:11:07 PM

I doubt it.  I sure don't.  They always pick strange, obscure movies for best picture.  I've been pissed at the Oscars ever since Annie Hall beat out Star Wars in 1977 for Best Picture.  Stupid.  And I like Woody Allen movies.  A movie comes along that literally changes the movie industry in every way imaginable (cinematography, special effects, sound etc.) and it does not win best picture of the year.  Just once I would like the Academy to explain why Science Fiction/Fantasy films can never be best picture material.  Yes, I know Return of the King won.  But one picture in a billion years does not count.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 07:10:01 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 22, 2008, 06:48:56 PM

I doubt it.  I sure don't.  They always pick strange, obscure movies for best picture.  I've been pissed at the Oscars ever since Annie Hall beat out Star Wars in 1977 for Best Picture.  Stupid.  And I like Woody Allen movies.  A movie comes along that literally changes the movie industry in every way imaginable (cinematography, special effects, sound etc.) and it does not win best picture of the year.  Just once I would like the Academy to explain why Science Fiction/Fantasy films can never be best picture material.  Yes, I know Return of the King won.  But one picture in a billion years does not count.

This is absurd.  Outside of Star Wars and LOTR, what Science Fiction/Fantasy films deserved to be nominated?  Krull?  Willow?  Jurassic Park? 

Also, I'm curious how Star Wars revolutionized cinematography?  Are you referring to motion controlled cameras?  That was indeed a huge innovation but that was for the effects industry, not cinematography.  Vilmos Zsigmond's camera work in Close Encounters (which won the 1977 award for cinematography) was far superior to the camera work in Star Wars IMO. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2008, 07:10:01 PM

This is absurd.  Outside of Star Wars and LOTR, what Science Fiction/Fantasy films deserved to be nominated?  Krull?  Willow?  Jurassic Park? 

Most assuredly Krull - probably Liam Neeson's best work.

Also, Labyrinth.  And Dreamscape with oscar nominee Max von Sydow!

Speaking of von Sydow, it's a tragedy that his work in Strange Brew has never been recognized.  Damnable oscar voters.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 22, 2008, 06:48:56 PM

While I don't necessarily agree that Star Wars was a better picture than Annie Hall, I do agree that the 70's was the decade where public opinion for the academy and the Oscars took a turn for the worse; not that the academy didn't deserve it. The problem was that the major studios went into a creativity vacuum and they couldn't respond well at all the the emerging talent and tastes of the baby boomer's. All of which led to some big name actors of the day -Hoffman, Brando- being very openly critical of the Academy and the established studios. They did manage to build back some credibility since then, but it's nothing to the extent that they had in the 60's and earlier.

In regards to the Public caring about the Oscars. At most I think the Oscars just translate into slightly better DVD rentals and sales and a possible chance for a film to do a theatre rerun, but not much else.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:24:12 PM by kronovan » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »

When you say "deserve to be nominated" what does that mean?  Personally I think if Juno and Babel can get nominated, then I think The Matrix, 2001, Blade Runner, and Minority Report could have been nominated too. 

I guess I just don't understand what it is about movies that classifies them as "deserving."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:34:50 PM by denoginizer » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 07:31:56 PM »

Also, I'm curious how Star Wars revolutionized cinematography?  Are you referring to motion controlled cameras?

I'd say Starshifter was referring to the blue screen technique, which you could classify as a cinematography or special effects break through. Even though Lucas didn't invent it, I don't think you can argue that he didn't pioneer and master it and should be credited accordingly. And it was one helluva a big breakthrough for the industry in the era before CGI.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 22, 2008, 07:24:23 PM

When you say "deserve to be nominated" what does that mean?  Personally I think if Juno and Babel can get nominated, then I think The Matrix, 2001, Blade Runner, and Minority Report could have been nominated too. 

I guess I just don't understand what it is about movies that classifies them as "deserving."

2001 may not have gotten a BP nom, but Kubrick got a Best Director nom from it.  Blade Runner had an incredibly mixed critical reception at the time (and awful "popular" reception) so it's no surprise it wasn't nominated.  The Matrix? Maybe I could see an argument for that one.  Minority Report was enjoyable enough but hardly stupendous or ground breaking.

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2008, 07:31:56 PM

Also, I'm curious how Star Wars revolutionized cinematography?  Are you referring to motion controlled cameras?

I'd say Starshifter was referring to the blue screen technique, which you could classify as a cinematography or special effects break through. Even though Lucas didn't invent it, I don't think you can argue that he didn't pioneer and master it and should be credited accordingly. And it was one helluva a big breakthrough for the industry in the era before CGI.

Even if that's what he was referring to it still falls under the umbrella of Visual Effects. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 07:49:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2008, 07:45:56 PM

Minority Report was enjoyable enough but hardly stupendous or ground breaking.

Maybe.  But what was stupendous or ground breaking about Juno, or Babel, or Cider House Rules, or Crash, etc.

For example take two Micheal Mann movies;  Heat and The Insider.  In my mind Heat is better in every way.  I'd recommend it over The Insider every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I don't know anyone who thinks The Insider is the better film.

Yet The Insider was nominated and Heat was not. The Acadamy just seems out of touch with what movies real people like.  But maybe they like it that way.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:56:55 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 22, 2008, 07:49:57 PM

Minority Report was enjoyable enough but hardly stupendous or ground breaking.

Maybe.  But what was stupendous or ground breaking about Juno, or Babel, or Cider House Rules, or Crash, etc.

But there will always be plenty of movies that may have been deserving of noms that didn't make it from all genres.  But what makes geeks so damn winy that our "genre" isn't being properly respected? Most sci-fi and fantasy films are crap and of those that are quality I think the Academy has done as good of job about rewarding them as just about any other genre.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 08:08:19 PM »

Anyone know why certain categories only have three nominations? Always wondered that.

Also, Sunshine should have gotten a nomination for Best Visual Effects.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »

Even if that's what he was referring to it still falls under the umbrella of Visual Effects. 

Yeah well, don't tell that to a cinematographer that worked in the Fantasy/SciFi genre in the late 70's, early 80's. For one the blue screen technique worked much better if the screened shots were done in 70mm. It may not seem like much today, but at the time it was probably quite a learning curve to operate a 70mm if you'd only worked 35's. Also color setup had to be exact and perfect resulting in setups and proofings that often took hours. Add to that perfect lighting setup, which cinematographers were intimately involved with in the era and you've got a significant work load for the guy behind the lens.

It's true it's a technique that the editor played as much or more a critical role in, but you can easily argue that the cinematographer had as important a role in pulling it off successfully.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:26:41 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2008, 07:20:58 PM

While I don't necessarily agree that Star Wars was a better picture than Annie Hall, I do agree that the 70's was the decade where public opinion for the academy and the Oscars took a turn for the worse; not that the academy didn't deserve it. The problem was that the major studios went into a creativity vacuum and they couldn't respond well at all the the emerging talent and tastes of the baby boomer's. All of which led to some big name actors of the day -Hoffman, Brando- being very openly critical of the Academy and the established studios. They did manage to build back some credibility since then, but it's nothing to the extent that they had in the 60's and earlier.

This seems a very weird thing to say.  Scanning the list of BP nominees for the 70s includes a list of such classics as:

French Connection
The Exorcist
The Conversation
Godfather
Godfather Part 2
Apocalypse Now
Jaws
Star Wars
Rocky
Network
Taxi Driver
The Deer Hunter
All the President's Men
Dog Day Afternoon
Chinatown
Deliverance
A Clockwork Orange
Five Easy Pieces

etc.

Now you may quibble over who was chosen to receive the actual Best Picture Award but IMO that list of nominated films from the 70s does an outstanding job of covering the movies from that decade that have stood the test of time. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 08:16:54 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2008, 08:09:58 PM

Yeah well, don't tell that to a cinematographer that worked in the Fantasy/SciFi genre in the late 70's, early 80's. For one the blue screen technique worked much better if the screened shots were done in 70mm. It may not seem like much today, but at the time it was probably quite a learning curve to operate a 70mm if you'd only worked 35's. Also color setup had to be exact and perfect resulting in setups and proofings that often took hours. Add to that perfect lighting setup, which cinematographers were intimately involved with in the era and you've got a significant work load for the guy behind the lens.

It's true it's a technique that the editor played as much or more a critical role in, but you can easily argue that the cinematographer had as important a role in pulling it off successfully.

It was still often the effects' departments job.  For example, on Close Encounters, it was Doug Trumbull who was responsible for filming the 70mm film elements, not Vilmos Zsigmond.  But even then, 70mm in the 70s was hardly the foreign idea that it is today (which is a shame) so lots of cinematographers had experience working in it.

Again, I'm not taking anything away form the visual effects of Star Wars but everything you are describing fell under the job of the effects department.  And even if you didn't, in 1977 the award for cinematography went to a film that utilized all of these techniques anyway (the aforementioned Close Encounters). 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2008, 08:11:31 PM

Quote from: kronovan on January 22, 2008, 07:20:58 PM

This seems a very weird thing to say.  Scanning the list of BP nominees for the 70s includes a list of such classics as:

French Connection
The Exorcist
The Conversation
Godfather
Godfather Part 2
Apocalypse Now
Jaws
Star Wars
Rocky
Network
Taxi Driver
The Deer Hunter
All the President's Men
Dog Day Afternoon
Chinatown
Deliverance
A Clockwork Orange
Five Easy Pieces

etc.

Now you may quibble over who was chosen to receive the actual Best Picture Award but IMO that list of nominated films from the 70s does an outstanding job of covering the movies from that decade that have stood the test of time. 

But getting nominated wasn't the problem. The problem was that so many of those great films never won. The same was true for just about every other Oscar category they were handing out. In fact Annie Hall winning 4 awards was such a fluke that Woody Allen didn't even show up on ceremony night.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »

But that's not what we're talking about in this thread is it?  This is the nominations thread. 

Also, have you looked at the winners in the 70s?  Most seems pretty deserved to me:

Patton
Godfather
The French Connection
The Sting
The Godfather Part 2
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Kramer Vs Kramer

Of those I would quibble with maybe Kramer Vs Kramer, Annie Hall, and The Sting.  Otherwise those are some damn fine movies that have held up wonderfully.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2008, 08:27:28 PM

But that's not what we're talking about in this thread is it?  This is the nominations thread. 

Also, have you looked at the winners in the 70s?  Most seems pretty deserved to me:

Patton
Godfather
The French Connection
The Sting
The Godfather Part 2
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Kramer Vs Kramer

Of those I would quibble with maybe Kramer Vs Kramer, Annie Hall, and The Sting.  Otherwise those are some damn fine movies that have held up wonderfully.

Well I guess we just differ in tastes, because other than The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and Annie Hall, I'd take exception with most of those. Also when I stated earlier that actors and actresses were openly critical of the industry it wasn't just around who or what got nominated and who or what won. It was as much issues around how the big studios controlled funding and marketing.  You do realize that it was a mircacle that Lucas even got permission to make Star Wars. In fact Alan Ladd staked his career on it and and depite achieving success still eventually got fired.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »

Hey, I'm all for a discussion of what made the 70s such a great time for movies (I highly recommend the book Easy Riders, Raging Bulls) but that doesn't seem to be linking well with a discussion of Oscar sleights since the actual Academy Awards from the era generally did a very good of rewarding those independent and maverick filmmakers.  Almost certainly a better job than the Academy has done rewarding the independent, risky films in either the 80s, 90s, or even 60s (which really was still in the hey day of big studio projects). 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 22, 2008, 07:49:57 PM

For example take two Micheal Mann movies;  Heat and The Insider.  In my mind Heat is better in every way.  I'd recommend it over The Insider every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I don't know anyone who thinks The Insider is the better film.

/raises hand

Yo.

While I like "Heat" a great deal, and frankly think that the robbery is one of the very best every filmed, I believe "The Insider" is both more emotionally involving and, yes, riveting than "Heat." Outside of the robbery and the diner scene, I'm hard-pressed to come up with any consistently involving stuff from "Heat." I feel the movie wanders all over the place introducing a plethora of characters who seem like window dressing. "The Insider" knocks me out every time I see. I always skip to the robbery in "Heat."

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 09:56:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 22, 2008, 08:48:27 PM

Hey, I'm all for a discussion of what made the 70s such a great time for movies (I highly recommend the book Easy Riders, Raging Bulls) but that doesn't seem to be linking well with a discussion of Oscar sleights since the actual Academy Awards from the era generally did a very good of rewarding those independent and maverick filmmakers.  Almost certainly a better job than the Academy has done rewarding the independent, risky films in either the 80s, 90s, or even 60s (which really was still in the hey day of big studio projects). 

Yup, I've already read that book and IMHO it was a view of the era through some rosey glasses. I don't really want to debate whether the 70's was or wasn't a good decade for new and independent film makers because in hindsight you can spin it anyway you want. What's important is that enough big name actors, actresses, for right or for wrong, spoke out against the industry in that decade and influenced public opinion negatively which generated a sort of cynicism. IMO the Academy and the prestige of the Oscars has never really recovered since.

I'd much rather talk about the status of where the Academy and their annual Oscars are at now in 2008.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »

Heat is near the top of my favorite films of all time.  However The Insider is probably "perfect" IMO and I would have zero issue with anyone who preferred it over Heat. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »

George Clooney and/or Michael Clayton for something kthnx?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »

I wasn't big on Michael Clayton.  I liked it but it didn't knock my socks off.  Of the current field, No Country for Old Men gets my vote by far but I haven't seen There Will Be Blood Yet (hasn't opened around here). 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 09:10:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 23, 2008, 09:03:49 PM

I wasn't big on Michael Clayton.  I liked it but it didn't knock my socks off.  Of the current field, No Country for Old Men gets my vote by far but I haven't seen There Will Be Blood Yet (hasn't opened around here). 

I need to see TWBBY before I can definitively decide-I am not sure on MC as best picture, but I was blown away by Clooney in the movie. Powerful, and with a ton of emotion just on his face. I do think, however, from early reviews and commentary that DDL is a lock for best actor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 23, 2008, 09:10:06 PM

I need to see TWBBY before I can definitively decide-

er, drop the Y  icon_wink  Tongue  icon_lol

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »

Of the current field, No Country for Old Men gets my vote by far but I haven't seen There Will Be Blood Yet (hasn't opened around here). 

I agree.  No Country for Old Men would get my vote as well.  I defiantly want to see There Will Be Blood before I make the final call though.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: