http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 12:55:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1990: Limbaugh Shouted Down On National Television  (Read 994 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:08:44 AM »

http://www.panopticist.com/archives/187.html

Yikes!

Although I think the title "A Bully Gets Bullied" is incredibly appropriate, that doesn't mean I think the bullying was appropriate.  Freedom of speech doesn't belong to whoever has the loudest voice, the highest platform, or the most disruptive behavior, and the fact that I dislike Rush Limbaugh doesn't mean I don't think he should be heard.  It's an interesting feeling to sympathize with Rush, but some of the audience members in this clip are really wildly out of line.

Anyways, it's an interesting clip.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 12:33:21 AM »

Actually, I think it's unfortunate that stupidity is so often NOT shouted down these days.

When lies, insanity, and flagrant criminality become dubbed "a viewpoint", things are truly headed for disaster.  As the past six+ years have demonstrated, of course.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 12:50:46 AM »

To his credit, I thought he handled it pretty well considering how the people were screaming at him.  Although I don't care for his views, I'll agree that's not how you engage in an intelligent discussion.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 12:52:21 AM »

On the "intelligent discussion" part, it's hard to claim he brings much to the table to begin with.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 01:00:18 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
On the "intelligent discussion" part, it's hard to claim he brings much to the table to begin with.

Agreed  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 01:07:04 AM »

Maybe, but screaming incoherent accusations and profane insults at him says a lot more about the audience member than it does about Rush.

If you want to take issue with something Rush says, do it in a sensible way.  Giving in to emotion is just going to prove him right that you're "too unstable" and "too immature" to bother trying to communicate with.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 01:43:39 AM »

Oh, I completely agree with the sentiment you raised, but I feel that most people have rested on the fact that they are right, and not defended it feeling the truth would be self-evident.

It -should- be self evident, but unfortunately you have a great many people in this country willfully denying reality, and quite eager to convert others to that 'viewpoint'.

We have people who believe it is their sworn duty as Christians to overthrow our evil secular democracy, we have people who believe the universe is like 3000 years old (and all so-called evidence to the contrary is part of a conspiracy), or that our nation was founded by Christian Fundamentalists, or that we are all infected with the spirits from a crashed prison space ship from the planet Xenu, or whatever (I don't mean to pick on religions exclusively, that's just stuff which came to mind right now).

Sure, part of our freedom is the freedom to be stupid, and believe stupid things.  But my problem comes in when people confuse that with some sort of right to put their stupidity on an equal level with scientific fact or accepted solutions or whatever.  

Freedom of religion is (in my mind, anyway) a likewise freedom FROM religion.  If they can shut out all the accumulated scientific evidence proving their "viewpoint" to be fantasy, we likewise have the right to shut THEM out.  But unfortunately, those who value freedom in our country have been extremely lax in their vigilance recently.

--

One thing I can see giving people pause in adjusting to the new political climate is that they are, quite sadly, REQUIRED to adopt the same propagandist tactics just to output truthful reality which one would rationally think is plainly evident.  Like, for example, global warming (which GWB admitted in Europe this week IS reality; interesting how he will never say that within our country, and it was not picked up by our 'liberal' MSM).

Were I in their shoes, and forced into using propaganda just to get the truth out, yes, I would feel VERY dirty.  It's a shame that public discourse has come to that.  But if one feels their freedom is worth defending, they may eventually be required to do unpleasant things in self-defense.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 01:47:39 AM »

Some people think the Illuminati are an ancient race of lizard-like aliens which are immortal, feed on human flesh, and control the world government (Bush, Blair, QE II, etc.).

Behold the power of imagination!

When I worked in a bookstore I used to always move the David Icke books into the sci-fi/fantasy section.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 02:02:31 AM »

Penn (from Penn and Teller) is on the radio around here at noon.  He was talking about the South Park thing.  I wish I could find it (maybe it's too new), but Parker and Stone wrote an admission in Variety magazine that they are working for the evil emperor Xenu.  I wanted to quote it (Penn was reading it), but can't find it on teh intarweb just yet.

[edit] found it.  Shockingly, it was on Variety's website... um, ok, yes, I am indeed a genius, my web-fu is strong  :roll:

While the "South Park" creators didn't directly comment on Comedy Central's decision to pull the episode, they issued an unusual statement to Daily Variety indicating the battle is not over.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

Penn had an interesting idea based upon this.  Since the concept of Satanism (depending on what kind is being discussed) would accept what Christianity believes, but casts it's lot with "the other side", why doesn't somebody just create a religion which is the antithesis of Scientology?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 03:44:51 AM »

wow, rush did a good job handling these people.  He could have easily attacked back, but he kept his composure.  If it was me, they would have been kicked out from the start.  Not because of their views, because they were disruptive.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 04:56:40 AM »

autistic - you should have included the "behind the scenes unrated version" where in his dressing room after the incident Rush says "DUdE, I'm glad I had a head full of valium and xanax, or else I would have exercised my 2nd amendment on those hippies - and mAn are my hands hUgE"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 06:42:18 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Penn had an interesting idea based upon this.  Since the concept of Satanism (depending on what kind is being discussed) would accept what Christianity believes, but casts it's lot with "the other side", why doesn't somebody just create a religion which is the antithesis of Scientology?

Because someone would take the opposite of "stupid" (read: Scientology) and come up with "stupider" instead of "intelligent". slywink

BTW - that response from Stone and Parker rules. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 11:09:33 AM »

You have to admit, there is something perversely appealing about a religion created for the sole purpose of spiting another.

What would they call it?  Xenuism?

I'm checking if one of my friends has that South Park episode on TiVo.  Now I really want to watch it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: