http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17-Year-Old Drops After Eating Only Chicken Nuggets Since Age 2.  (Read 892 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »

Stacey Irvine looks surprisingly well for a 17-year-old who's eaten only chicken nuggets since she was 2. But when she recently went to the hospital after passing out from struggling to breathe, doctors told her that she absolutely had to eat more healthily.

"She's been told in no uncertain terms that she will die if she carries on like this, but Stacey says she can't eat anything else," her mom, Evonne, told U.K.'s Daily Mail. "It breaks my heart to see her eating those damned nuggets. I am at my wit's end. I'm praying she can be helped before it's too late."

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/01/27/child-abuse-17-year-old-drops-after-eating-only-chicken-nuggets-age-2

Im going to have to pull a Miz here and say Really.. Really?

Why wasn't the mother doing something when she was say, 7 or 8, when the only way she could eat was what food her parents put on the table.   

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

This popped up a week or two ago. I initially thought it was a hoax, but it was reported on tons of sites. Upon closer inspection, she didn't literally just eat McNuggets. She also ate KFC and stuff for, you know, variety.  icon_confused

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »

Actually, it's fries and toast too, as well as KFC. Basically, she's eating heavily processed foods.

Funny thing is, when I read the title, I thought : hrm - a chicken-only diet isn't the problem - but it's funny that had she had what is perceived to be a "normal" diet, this wouldn't be in the news.

"Girl collapses, struggles to breathe!"
Doctors have attribute the issue to her not defecating enough, according to current medical practices. In fact, she only poops 2-3 times a week.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »

Huh, I didn't see that part. If I ate that much fast food I'd be pooping non-stop.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

They didn't say that, I was using it as an example. They found something out of the norm and cited that as unequivocal reason for her collapse.

House would have at least prescribed Interferon.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »

My step-dad is an MD who specializes in hormonal stuff. A few years ago he had to treat a 19 year old male who had grown breasts from the estrogen in fast food chicken. Of course, this guy really did eat McDonald's chicken nuggets for lunch and dinner 7 days a week.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »

That's hilarious.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »

WebMD did an Investigation into Chicken Nuggets (both fast food, and store-bought) a couple years back:
http://children.webmd.com/news/20100504/chicken-nuggets-loaded-with-fat-salt

I don't think nuggets are inherently evil, it's just whether you get them deep fried at McD's or you bake/nuke/otherwise prepare them at home, they're usually a lot more filled with sodium, fat, sugar etc. (from the breading) than if you just grill or bake some "bare" chicken breasts and slice them up into bite-size portions, maybe relying on a modest amount of sauce to make them tastier.

As with anything, moderation and variety's probably the key. That's what I told myself this weekend as I ate half a large Pizza Hut supreme for dinner Friday, and the the other half for dinner Saturday. Variety!  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

Dead animals taste good.

I'm not sure that Chicken McNuggets are:

A) From an Animal
B) Dead

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »

I mentioned this CNN item in a fast food thread:
http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/8-creepy-mystery-ingredients-in-fast-food?hpt=hp_bn12
5. Petroleum-derived preservatives (TBHQ)
Tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) is made from compounds derived from petroleum and finds a home in cosmetic and skincare products, varnish, lacquers and resins — and processed food. McDonald’s, for example, uses it in 18 products ranging from their Fruit and Walnut Salad to Griddle Cakes to McNuggets.

TBHQ was finally approved after many years of pressure from food manufacturers, though with approval, the FDA mandated that the chemical must not exceed 0.02 percent of a food’s oil and fat content.

Why would there be a limit? Because five grams would be lethal, while one gram can cause nausea, vomiting, delirium, a sense of suffocation and collapse. (Although you would have to eat more than 11 pounds of McNuggets to reach that level. And if you're willing to eat 11 pounds of McNuggets in one sitting, well...)
Now I doubt that kid could eat 11 pounds of chicken nuggets even in one year, but I imagine if fed that couple times daily over and over, there could be some buildup of a chemical like that that would affect one's health in ways just beyond being chubby.
==================
I've learned to like Popeye's chicken nuggets, maybe a couple times a month at most. I don't pretend they're healthy per se (it's still fried, breaded chicken). But it does look like actual shredded chicken meat (i.e., dead and from an animal, not "formed" into uniform shapes) that's then deep fried quickly. Though for all I know, maybe it's full of this TBHQ too.

I had some last night. I am feeling... a sense of... DELIRIUM!!!  paranoid
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:30:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:08:06 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 17, 2012, 07:24:31 PM

Now I doubt that kid could eat 11 pounds of chicken nuggets even in one year, but I imagine if fed that couple times daily over and over, there could be some buildup of a chemical like that that would affect one's health in ways just beyond being chubby.

Well if my math and google skills are correct...
1 nugget weighs 23 grams, so a 20 piece would weigh 460 grams, which is a little over a pound, so if she did it it everyday and only once a day, she would hit 11 pounds in 11 days.... quicker if she ate 20 pieces multiples times a day... (or 2 10 piece orders).. if she only had 1 10 piece order a day that would be 182 pounds of nuggets per year!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: