http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 03:54:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14 Dead -50 Wounded  (Read 3048 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »

News is developing but someone went on a shooting spree at the opening of Batman

There are some truly sick people on this planet...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »

Sad. Heard that on the way into work this morning after going to the premiere last night.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »

Crazy.  That's not all that far from where I work.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »

I see stuff like this, and I fail to comprehend the things that must go through someone's head to commit such a horrible act.  tear
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 20, 2012, 12:59:22 PM

I see stuff like this, and I fail to comprehend the things that must go through someone's head to commit such a horrible act.  tear

This .  I just can't wrap my mind around this. Truly, tragic

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »

Just disgusting.  This guy deserves the worst death imaginable. 
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »

Sadly, it seems like Alfred was right: "He thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

- Ash
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »

Jessica Redfield, an aspiring hockey broadcaster, was among those lost last night.

Her last blog post was about her experience in last month's Toronto mall shootings, which she was present at.

Horrible, and horrifying, and just about incomprehensible. I hope we just get to appreciate that for a few hours before the 24-hour news cycle turns it into wharrgarbl about politics and celebrity news and money.

Edit: And she was an intern for You Can Play Team, Pat Burke's advocacy group for GLBT hockey players (and athletes in general). Just feeling sick right now - that's one of the best, most personable and likeable groups working in hockey. What a loss. frown
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:13:38 PM by Clanwolfer » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »

sad news indeed

I am watching the news right now,They are at his apartment where he has booby-trapped it,with "Sophisticated" traps,5 blocks have been cleared

The Police have also said that they could be there for "Hours or days"

They are trying to determine how the gunman entered the fire exit of the Cinema that was supposed to be locked(or at least unable to be opened from outside)

It's being described as "The Batman Massacre"

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »

Completely insane..
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »

Cinemas in the UK have started to have extra Bag searches and tonight The Dark Knight Rises premier in Paris has been cancelled in memory of victims

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 04:15:36 PM »

Yeesh. I'm just recovering from my Dark Knight Trilogy experience. It was nothing but fun, and I didn't see in the mobbed lobby so much as anyone even having an argument (Tysons Corner, VA). I'm just shocked, mortified, heatbroken, sick about this.

Apparently filmgoers thought it was some sort of promotional thing so they didn't react to the guy's chemical grenade (!) attack and shooting initially. AP said an infant was among those shot.

I can already see some attorney trying to get the monster off on an insanity plea (he's in police custody).

Although I think this might impact how theater chains handle security, I don't think most have the money to put in metal detectors and an armed guard in every screen. And the idea behind Exit doors is to help you leave in a hurry -- I doubt anyone in a million years worried about someone using it as an entry way for bringing in a mass shooting arsenal.  paranoid

What terrifies me is the idea of any copycats of this (as seems to happen with mass shootings in other environs).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:06:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »

One of the victims - Jessica Ghawi- was here in Toronto a little while ago and was in/at the Eaton Centre (mall) where another fatal shooting took place back on June 2nd
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1229218--colorado-theatre-shooting-14-dead-after-gunman-opens-fire-on-the-dark-knight-rises-audience

Outside of being a soldier - what are the chances of being missed one time and being hit the next. Totally sucks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:59:25 PM by Roman » Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »

Just fyi, NY Times has a locator map that's kind of useful for understanding where this murderer's car was parked (right outside the back emergency exit it seems), and his apartment's proximity:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/07/20/us/The-Shooting-in-Aurora.html
*You can tell by the location that it's unlikely anybody else would've parked there or seen anything suspicious -- the theater complex back there faces the back of an adjacent shopping center I think.

They have a picture of the shooter (supplied by University of Colorado):
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/us/colorado-mall-shooting.html?_r=1

I'm curious (perhaps morbidly, perhaps so if this ever happens to me, I'll know where to run) about the theater layout, but haven't seen sort of an interior schematic to this point.

Cinemark owns the multiplex and issued a brief press release but doesn't say much.

P.S. According to CNN, the death toll was, at least, rolled back from 14 to 12. It was originally 10 at the scene and 4 at local hospitals but was apparently revised:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Police initially said 14 people had died -- 10 in the theater and four at area hospitals -- but revised the death toll to 12 later Friday morning, according to Aurora Police Lt. Jad Lanigan.
The hospitals in the area are apparently inundated, something like a war zone.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:31:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:33:45 PM »

A supposedly (not sure it's vertified, but he does post a pic of his ticket) first-hand account:
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-817622?hpt=hp_c2
The movie was just beginning to get interesting. My wife and I had been waiting for months to see the Dark Knight Rises, and we were finally here, enjoying it.

It's unfortunate that we were in Theater 9.

The first thing I noticed was a hissing sound coming from the left side of the theater. I noticed people beginning to react in the area. I knew something was wrong.

Then the gunshots began. A sudden flash of light and loud bang from the right side of the screen. Then another, and another. There must have been 20-30, at the least. At first glance they looked like fireworks or something, perhaps a prank. After a few shots, it hit me very quickly what was happening.

I hit the floor and hid behind the seats in front of me, pulling my wife down to hide with me. It was the longest minute of my life. The gunshots just kept coming. I knew it could be over any second. I knew my wife could be gone any second. It was absolutely surreal. I felt something hit my left arm, and my first though was "at least it's just my arm".

Once the gunfire subsided for a bit, people began to run to the exits en mass. I took my wife by the hand and we booked it for the back door, trying to breathe through the gas that now permeated the room.

We bolted out the doors and down the stairs, though the lobby and out the door. All the while, hearing people screaming, crying, panicking, and screaming for their children.

Reaching the parking lot, the police cars were already piling in and surrounding the area. My arm was only slightly nicked and didn't require any attention. My wife was untouched.

The entire ordeal was completely surreal, and entirely horrifying. My mother informed me that someone had been watching over me, and all I could say is that I wish that those good people who passed away could have had the same protection. My heart goes out to their families and loved ones, and I dearly hope that the madman responsible for this is brought his justice.

I will never have the same outlook on life again.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »

I'm off today, so watching a live press conference by police and government officials on NBC News:

Police chief's update:
-71 moviegoers were shot; 59 were wounded, revised death count is 12 (10 on the scene, 2 at hospitals from their injuries). One of those wounded was in an adjacent auditorium. Six different hospitals are treating those wounded.

-Weapons found were:
*AR-15 rifle (they believe used in theater)
*Remington shotgun (they believe used in theater) [sorry, I missed the model #]
*.40 cal Glock pistol (they believe used in theater)
*additional .40 cal Glock pistol in car (they're not sure if used in theater)

The body armor really was like a heavily equipped SWAT member might wear -- including kevlar vest, groin and throat protectors, helmet, mask, and the gas mask. Maybe some sort of armored pants too, I lost track of all the gear he was wearing.

Several cars are part of the crime scene, he said, I think it may be some stray rounds went through the theater walls and into cars in the parking lot. They don't have a count yet on how many rounds were shot, just "many, many."

*They have found a variety of booby traps, incendiary and chemical some involving tripwires, and have evacuated buildings in a large area while they work to defuse them. It could take hours, or even days, the chief said.

*Suspect's only law enforcement record was a traffic ticket in 2011.

They'll give another press conference update at 7 p.m. from City Hall.

From other reports, the suspect apparently was studying neuroscience or something but was withdrawing from the University.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:20:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »

they are now saying that the guy dyed his hair(Red?) and shouted out "I'm The Joker" as he fired

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »

I thought he was wearing helmet and gas mask?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »

I've posted over at OO about this and I'll post here too.

It looks like I unfortunately may know a victim.

We just recently moved to Hawaii from Denver 2 months ago. I'm a RN who worked at The University of Colorado and Aurora Medical Center. I'm positive I would have been called in to help triage victims had I still been living there. I drove by that theatre daily on my way into work.

Today has been very difficult as I sit in the middle of the ocean wishing I were back in Denver to be with friends and coworkers and helping to care for the victims.  Never have I felt totally helpless. I just wish I could use my trained skills to help care for my former community and home.

I'm not a religious person myself, so I'll only ask to remember in whatever way you choose not only the victims, but survivors and those caring for them.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »

well said Xmann
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 20, 2012, 10:01:25 PM

they are now saying that the guy dyed his hair(Red?) and shouted out "I'm The Joker" as he fired
Officials have declined to comment on this when asked. It's probably, as after Columbine and others, an Internet rumor. Police said he was wearing a helmet, gas mask and throat protector so by all accounts, his face and head weren't visible during the attack.

The police chief warned media not to consider social media a reliable source as a lot of rumors and made-up stories were running around.

AMC announced on its investor relations site it would ban masks, fake weapons and costumes that make others "uncomfortable." While you could argue that might not have prevented anything in Colorado (he came in through am emergency exit), I assume the idea so at the least, you wouldn't look at someone in the equipment he had and think it was someone goofing off -- you'd know immediately nobody with that sort of outfit was allowed in the theater. I expect other chains will do similar.

Updated: AMC Theatres Statement Regarding the Tragedy in Aurora, Colorado
Kansas City, Mo. (July 21, 2012, 2 p.m. CDT) - AMC Theatres is deeply saddened by the Aurora tragedy. Movie going is part of our social fabric and this senseless act shakes us to our core. We're reinforcing our security procedures with our theatre teams, which we cannot discuss in detail for obvious, safety reasons. Local law enforcement agencies, our landlords and their and our local security teams are stepping up nationwide to ensure we provide the safest environment possible for our guests. We couldn't be more grateful for their collective support.

At this time, our show schedules circuit-wide will not change. We will not allow any guests into our theatres in costumes that make other guests feel uncomfortable and we will not permit face-covering masks or fake weapons inside our buildings. If guests wish to exchange or refund any tickets, we will honor our existing policy and do as our guests wish. We are taking necessary precautions to ensure our guests who wish to enjoy a movie this weekend can do so with as much peace of mind as possible in these circumstances.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »

Really feel sorry for that Jessica woman. Escaped death from another mad gunman, had a bright future after it, then killed by another random madman. There is just a horrific sense of something like irony that must have been going through her head then.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 12:49:32 AM »

My grandma, bless her heart, called making sure I wasn't at the movie because I live in Colorado and knows I like Batman. Definitely some jacked up people in this world.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:02 AM »

I just have to say that in a world where we are constantly bombarded with images of violence, whether through TV, movies, video games, to the point where it often no longer registers emotionally, it's stuff like this theater shooting that just makes me utterly depressed and sad that people can be so unspeakably callous and brutal to each other.

Wherever you are, make it a point to go hug a loved one as soon as you can and tell them how much you appreciate and care about them.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 02:06:27 AM »

Gotta admit that throughout the day I've become one angry SOB because of this. Because of my personal ties with this, its like this bastard spit personally in my face.....and that's to put it mild.

That's all for now  mad

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 20, 2012, 11:14:01 PM

Officials have declined to comment on this when asked. It's probably, as after Columbine and others, an Internet rumor. Police said he was wearing a helmet, gas mask and throat protector so by all accounts, his face and head weren't visible during the attack.

The police chief warned media not to consider social media a reliable source as a lot of rumors and made-up stories were running around.

maybe when they arrested him,they took the helmet off,because it was actually some sort of Police Chief who said it while being interviewed in a press conference i saw on TV(he had a Police Uniform on,but it was Dark Blue,not light blue)

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 21, 2012, 09:25:04 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on July 20, 2012, 11:14:01 PM

maybe when they arrested him,they took the helmet off,because it was actually some sort of Police Chief who said it while being interviewed in a press conference i saw on TV(he had a Police Uniform on,but it was Dark Blue,not light blue)

Yah, lots of conflicting information out there. From everything I've heard on the local news, he was quite calm and methodic and didn't say a word during the ordeal. The "joker" reference seems to have come later after the police apprehended him when they started the process to identify him.

ps. They still haven't been able to enter his apartment because of the extensive booby-traps. They hope to be able to do that today without taking out the apartment building and all that evidence in the process.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »

they've released the victims names and gotten into his apartment.  if you ask me the quickest way in would have been to rig up a device to remotely push the fucktard face first through the front door.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 02:45:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing the list article.  There's a lot of victims with military service and a lot of Texas connections as well.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 03:02:55 AM »

Why was a 6-year-old at a midnight showing of an R-rated movie?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 03:16:07 AM »

Because school is out and an R-rating means "Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian", not "No Admittance"?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 03:19:51 AM »

it's a PG-13 rated movie.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 03:23:08 AM »

That, too.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 06:29:51 AM »

I stand corrected. Still seems odd to take a small child out that late, but I am not wise in the ways of parenting.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 22, 2012, 06:29:51 AM

I stand corrected. Still seems odd to take a small child out that late, but I am not wise in the ways of parenting.

Many parents aren't wise in the ways of parenting. There was at least 1 baby and several too-young children at our show yesterday.  disgust
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

yeah i was wondering why a 6 month baby was there,I'm sure they could of got a babysitter if they wanted a night out,especially if its a midnight showing at a cinema,imagine if that baby woke up and started to cry in the middle of the film

and no,i am not wise on the ways of parenting either

and also admittedly,that was the least of that nights problems

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »

An AP schematic of the auditorium, based on an eyewitness description is pretty chilling:
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21119904
-Scroll below the timeline to view it.

Apparently he walked all the way up one side aisle to cut off people trying to run out the main exit. If he'd continued into a lobby full of evacuating moviegoers... Thank God he didn't.

fwiw, apparently Colorado does have the death penalty (lethal injection), last used in 1997, the state's only execution since around 1975. No doubt the trial will be about pre-meditated, mass murder (prosecution) vs. mental illness (defense).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 22, 2012, 02:41:43 PM

An AP schematic of the auditorium, based on an eyewitness description is pretty chilling:
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21119904
-Scroll below the timeline to view it.

Apparently he walked all the way up one side aisle to cut off people trying to run out the main exit. If he'd continued into a lobby full of evacuating moviegoers... Thank God he didn't.

fwiw, apparently Colorado does have the death penalty (lethal injection), last used in 1997, the state's only execution since around 1975. No doubt the trial will be about pre-meditated, mass murder (prosecution) vs. mental illness (defense).

There is plenty of evidence of pre-meditation.  As far as mental illness as a defense, Ive never understood that in these circumstances because a person has to be mentally ill to do something like this.  These were not the actions of a rational human being.  TV, movies and fiction may make the "insanity plea" seem common place but in reality, it doesnt play out like that.  This isnt a guy who just snapped and went off.  With the amount of pre-meditation, planning and forethought he put into this, the mental illness defense is going to be a tough one to fall back on.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:57 AM »

The insanity plea doesn't mean a lack of punishment either. Dangerous people are still locked up.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 02:52:15 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 23, 2012, 12:01:57 AM

The insanity plea doesn't mean a lack of punishment either. Dangerous people are still locked up.
...but rarely executed.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: