http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 Pushups - 6 week program. Who's in?  (Read 27966 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: August 22, 2008, 12:18:56 PM »

I did my day 2 of week 3 last night and it started out really rough but my energy picked up at the end.  I'm starting to see more strength finally and that makes me a happy camper.  Keep it up guys!!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 24, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »

Repeating week 5 here, but still pretty happy with my progress.  The end is in sight! smile

16-bit and loving it!
jaskerr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »

Foolishly took 5 days off since my week 2 exhaustion test. One of those days I worked out my arms by dragging myself and my toddler up a 15' inflatable water slide. Only was able to get both of us up there twice. Almost made it up several times before slipping and sliding my back down to the bottom. The positive is I wiped out all the kids behind me who were telling me to hurry up each time. That was pretty awesome. They quit following me up after the 3rd time.  icon_biggrin That was Saturday and my triceps are still a tiny bit sore today.

So, week 3, day 1, first two sets I matched. 3-5 I did 9 out of 15, 10 out of 13, 10 out of 20.

With that being the case, I guess I'll just keep repeating week 3, day 1 till I can meet the goal before I move on to day 2. Unless I go back and do week 2 again and add several reps to each set.

What do y'all think?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »

Quote from: jaskerr on August 27, 2008, 01:19:00 AM

Foolishly took 5 days off since my week 2 exhaustion test. One of those days I worked out my arms by dragging myself and my toddler up a 15' inflatable water slide. Only was able to get both of us up there twice. Almost made it up several times before slipping and sliding my back down to the bottom. The positive is I wiped out all the kids behind me who were telling me to hurry up each time. That was pretty awesome. They quit following me up after the 3rd time.  icon_biggrin That was Saturday and my triceps are still a tiny bit sore today.

So, week 3, day 1, first two sets I matched. 3-5 I did 9 out of 15, 10 out of 13, 10 out of 20.

With that being the case, I guess I'll just keep repeating week 3, day 1 till I can meet the goal before I move on to day 2. Unless I go back and do week 2 again and add several reps to each set.

What do y'all think?

I ran into a bit of a wall on Week 3 as well.  I'd complete the week and see how you feel.  I felt better when I got to week 4 though. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »

Looks like I'm out of the running for a while.  Completely frak'd up my right shoulder doing stuff around the house and helping the gf with some construction work at her office.  Went to the chiropractor this morning and he told me that it was the worst he'd seen me in and to take it easy for the next week or more.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 25, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »

Anyone else still tracking their pushups?

Back in June the first time I tried a set of five I did 10, 10, 8, 6, 15

This morning I hit a new personal best by going 40, 25, 25, 25, 40

I would like to hit 100 in one set by the end of the year.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2009, 11:31:07 PM »

Every time I restart I end up getting sidetracked or otherwise getting injured.

I've stepped up my workouts this year in general. Last February I weighed 315-320. I currently weigh in around 240-245 and am working my way down to 210. I've had some shoulder problems in the past, so even doing the pushups with bent-knee positions, I haven't been able to get past week 4, day 2.

I'm going to do the assessment tonight and see how many I can do, then try to restart the program. Hopefully I'll be able to push through the wall (no pun intended).
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2009, 01:00:12 AM »

Funny. I just started this yesterday.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 07, 2009, 03:51:50 AM »

I am not sure the program works, at least not for getting you up to 100 consecutive.  I have twice worked through the program, the second time taking about 13 weeks to be strong enough to complete the sets of week 6.  I certainly got stronger, no question, as well as massive shoulders and triceps, but even at that point I couldn't do more than 65 push ups consecutively.  I repeated week 6 for several weeks but couldn't break that wall.  I eventually gave up both times because the workouts started taking so damn long.  It's a big commitment to do a few hundred pushups three times a week - more than the 15 or 20 minutes I wanted to devote on a daily basis.

The other problem I had with the program is while it improved my core strength and grew my upper body, it did nothing for weight loss, fat percentage, and general overall tone.  I was hoping the metabolic increases from the muscle mass and brief intense cardio would burn fat, but it didn't have much effect.  I gained about 5 pounds of muscle, which I had no problem with, but didn't slim down much or see my fat percentage (which is my real goal) go down from my usual unhappy 28%.  (I'm 6'3", 225 lbs).  I suppose I needed to do some cardio on the off days, but I have motivation issues, which is why I need a nice, short regimen I can do without equipment or travel to a gym, etc.  Dedicated cardio takes a long time to do anything, and is boring.  I had impressive arms for a while, but they were still under a layer of fat, and I still had the love handles, so I gave up on the program.  Maybe something similar with abs and short cardio sessions on the off days...

At least I had a cool party trick - I once challenged a guy I play ball with to see who could do more pushups after he started talking some smack.  He's way more athletic than I am (double my vert, for instance) and thought he'd kill me.  He died at 35 or so and watched open mouthed while I did two sets of 50 two minutes apart relatively easily.  smile
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:55:30 AM by Rowdy » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 07, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »

I'm not sure you would gain 5 lbs of muscle- which is A LOT- from doing pushups. I could be totally wrong, but that seems like a ton of muscle just from this exercise.

As for weightloss, yeah you'll need to do some cario work to do that. As intense as pushups are, it's not a cardio workout.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »

Let me know when you get through week 6.  When you're doing what, 200+ pushups three times a week you start building a lot of muscle mass.  And yes, I was estimating the muscle gain, based on my weighing myself daily and the size of my shoulders, pecs and arms at the time.
Pointer
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 31, 2010, 10:20:04 AM »

Starting this program this week. Want to improve my overall fitness, upper body strength and muscle mass and this seems like a good place to start. Plus it has an iPhone app to keep track of things so that makes it easier to manage.

Anybody still going on this?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 01, 2010, 02:46:33 AM »

Quote from: Pointer on July 31, 2010, 10:20:04 AM

Starting this program this week. Want to improve my overall fitness, upper body strength and muscle mass and this seems like a good place to start. Plus it has an iPhone app to keep track of things so that makes it easier to manage.

Anybody still going on this?

I started but then stopped for a while, never reached 100. But I decided to start it up again this week. I do pushups a few days a week anyhow, but it's more fun and motivating to be on a program.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 15, 2011, 01:34:22 AM »

Arise thread! I see on the AppStore that there's an app called Hundred Pushups by Software X which seems pretty popular. It's only 99 cents so it might be interesting to try out and see if that can help keep me focused on the goal.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: September 15, 2011, 02:22:54 AM »

Now that I started traveling for work - I just started doing several of these programs this week. (pushups, situps and squats) - alternating days though.

So far so good.  Not sure what the advantage that a smart phone app would give me though - since the full program is really only a couple pages long printed.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 14, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »

Bump on this topic:

I just started this again today. I need to get in shape before my vacation in July. I tested at 29 pushups. So I'm supposed to fast forward to week 3. I'll keep updating as I go.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 14, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »

Go for it Scraper!

I don't think I could knock out 100 in a row, but when I do P90X Chest and Back, I'm usually clocking in between 230-260 push ups for the entire routine.

I'd also recommend not just going with pure push up counts, but varying the types of push ups.  Hands far apart, close together, staggered, chest fly pushups, declines, etc.  They all will work your chest, shoulders and triceps in different ways. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 28, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »

Well, I hope that tomorrow morning I will 'officially' be at 75% of my weightloss goal and will begin this madness.

I expect to test out at less than 10.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 30, 2013, 03:41:31 AM »

Too late to start?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 30, 2013, 03:42:29 AM »

I'm at 87 before complete muscle failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: July 30, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

I know I'm a lot closer to my goal. My trainer routinely starts our lifting days with 100 pushups.  I have to do them in sets, but I think that as I lose weight it'll (obviously) get easier.  I am going to try to get the wife to join in on this program as well....we'll see. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: