http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:24:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 Pushups - 6 week program. Who's in?  (Read 27965 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »

Quote from: noun on June 22, 2008, 03:34:59 AM

I've been spending time in the gym this year so I had a head start. Managed 35 in one go before sloppiness sets in. I've been trying to do 100 pushups a day (4 sets of 25). Best chest exercise you can do.

Really? I'm guessing all those semi-pro bodybuilders I know and used to lift with are making huge mistakes lifting those heavy ass dumbbells instead of doing 100 pushups a day!

Ok fine, unnecessarily snarky. Anyways, pushups are a perfectly fine supplement to a workout. They are not the best chest exercise you can do, nor is doing them every day a very efficient way of working your muscles and then letting them heal.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 05:43:26 AM by Calvin » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2008, 06:25:16 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2008, 05:38:16 AM

I've been spending time in the gym this year so I had a head start. Managed 35 in one go before sloppiness sets in. I've been trying to do 100 pushups a day (4 sets of 25). Best chest exercise you can do.

Really? I'm guessing all those semi-pro bodybuilders I know and used to lift with are making huge mistakes lifting those heavy ass dumbbells instead of doing 100 pushups a day!

Ok fine, unnecessarily snarky. Anyways, pushups are a perfectly fine supplement to a workout. They are not the best chest exercise you can do, nor is doing them every day a very efficient way of working your muscles and then letting them heal.

I dunno.  This is completely anecdotal, but the one ridiculously buff guy in my office swears up and down that he never actually lifts his chest, and only does push-ups.  If I can be as ripped as him, I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »

Ok fine, unnecessarily snarky.

Yeah Snarky works better when you know what you're talking about, and not just looking to start stupid arguments.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »

ok, initial test.....20...I must say....Ow...my arms are sore.  I had to really push that 20th one out.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »

Quote from: Austin on June 22, 2008, 11:59:14 AM

Yeah Snarky works better when you know what you're talking about, and not just looking to start stupid arguments.

Are you serious? Are you really going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about with lifting when you don't have any clue what my background may or may not be? You are sure enough that doing body weight pushups is more effective than lifting heavy ass barbells or dumbbells to build strength and mass that you want to get all cute and fuzzy about it? It's only a stupid argument if I'm wrong, and I'm not.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »

So how many pushups did you do Calvin?
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2008, 08:52:33 PM »

If your goal is to bench 400+ and look like the Incredible Hulk, then no, pushups probably won't get you there. If your goal is general strength improvement and toning your entire torso, nothing beats pushups. Why don't you ask the guy running your gym what he thinks, then come back and apologize for being an asshole. Again.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »

Quote from: noun on June 22, 2008, 08:52:33 PM

If your goal is to bench 400+ and look like the Incredible Hulk, then no, pushups probably won't get you there. If your goal is general strength improvement and toning your entire torso, nothing beats pushups. Why don't you ask the guy running your gym what he thinks, then come back and apologize for being an asshole. Again.
Here's the deal, you think you can tone your entire torso doing a pushup-wait, the fact you think you can "tone" as something separate from actually building muscle and burning fat tells me all I need to know. How about you learn some basic principles of exercise and come apologize for being an asshole. Again. What the fuck do I care what the manager of my gym thinks? I lift with people (plenty of whom don't lift heavy, but lift nonetheless) who understand that getting their fat ass off their computer chair and dropping to do 100 push-ups a day isn't sufficient to build a significant amount of muscle and burn fat. Wait, I'm sorry, you call it "toning". That's right, thats how it works.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:02:13 PM by Calvin » Logged
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »

tkae it outside to another thread, please.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »

Certainly Calvin is overly snarky, but also certainly he knows what he is talking about.

If you're a couch potato, any kind of activity is going to be beneficial and going to spur improvements to your physique.  If you can only do 10 or less pushups, obviously working up to 100 is going to be an improvement. 

However, as Calvin points out, "toning" your muscles is something of a myth.  Someone who looks toned is really just lean.  Muscles don't get tighter as you work them out.  If they did, then people with decent musculature wouldn't be able to move smile  They get bigger and smaller, and they expand and contract.  That's about all they do.  So what people refer to as toning is just a combination of increasing muscle size and reducing the fat that covers up muscles, so they stand out better.

As far as muscle development and fat reduction goes, working out with the same weight time and time again runs up against the law of diminishing returns.  Hypertrophy is spurred on by micro-stress to your cellular structure - more or less, you're damaging your muscles while working out.  Heavier weights are going to cause more stress, and your body will respond slowly but surely by spurring hypertrophy to cope with the increased demands you're putting on it.  Ideally, you'd want to keep those demands within a band of effort that spurs maximum muscle growth.  In other words, you're constantly adding weight as your body improves to keep the relative stress at a similar level no matter what your strength is.  If you're just doing the same weight over and over again (i.e. bodyweight exercises), you're going to bump up against the ceiling of that band eventually - your body will know it doesn't need to continue to grow to cope with the exact same level of stress day after day.  You'll reach an equilibrium.  If you want to continue growth and development, you're going to have to increase the intensity - add weight.

People say "Well I'll just do more pushups then!"  But again it's the law of diminishing returns.  Why not just do 3 million reps of a 1-pound weight?  The combined effort of a metric ton of light repetitions is not equal to fewer heavy reps.  It's just the way bodies work. 

I honestly wouldn't say a bad thing about pushups.  I do them myself at the end of my chest workouts - I do them off the ground on three chairs so I can get a deeper extension.  They're quite a good way of exhausting your chest muscles.  But alone, they're only going to get you so far.  Whether "so far" is far enough is really up to the individual.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »

And Kathode in for the win.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2008, 08:57:45 PM

Here's the deal, you think you can tone your entire torso doing a pushup-wait, the fact you think you can "tone" as something separate from actually building muscle and burning fat tells me all I need to know. How about you learn some basic principles of exercise and come apologize for being an asshole. Again. What the fuck do I care what the manager of my gym thinks? I lift with people (plenty of whom don't lift heavy, but lift nonetheless) who understand that getting their fat ass off their computer chair and dropping to do 100 push-ups a day isn't sufficient to build a significant amount of muscle and burn fat. Wait, I'm sorry, you call it "toning". That's right, thats how it works.

You're assuming my fitness goals include getting ripped like a pro bodybuilder. Nowhere in any of my posts did I imply that. But when it comes to BASIC exercise, nothing beats push ups. Seriously, what the fuck, dude? So why are you ripping on me about pushups? As a matter of fact, if you hate them so much, why the fuck are you even posting in a thread ABOUT pushups? Nowhere in my posts did I imply weight training mesomorphs were a bunch of morons.

Ok seriously, did I shoot your dog or something? What was it I said that made you ride the douchebag express to crazytown THIS time?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »

Religion, politics, and now pushups.  Great.

Silly me thinking this thread was going to be a bunch of people trying to encourage each other to complete the challenge.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2008, 11:14:52 PM »

Back on topic......

I did 12 for my initial, I'll start Week 1 on Monday like most people I think!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »

Since I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings already, I'm trying to decide whether I want to do the push-ups before bed on those nights, or do them on my off-days (Tues-Thurs-Sat).   Any suggestions either way?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2008, 12:30:42 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 22, 2008, 11:28:34 PM

Since I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings already, I'm trying to decide whether I want to do the push-ups before bed on those nights, or do them on my off-days (Tues-Thurs-Sat).   Any suggestions either way?

It depends on what you're lifting Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If you're doing chest and triceps exercises already on those days then throw in the pushups. Keep your rest days if possible. Working out 6 days in a row usually is not a good idea.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2008, 12:41:27 AM »

This has been the most demoralizing event in my recent memory.  ( which is saying a lot since I think I'm losing my job on Monday).

I used to be so fit, now I struggled to do 8.  8!! wtf?!

Pushups were never my thing, but in the military it was no problem.  10 years does a lot.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2008, 01:47:47 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 22, 2008, 07:42:50 PM

Are you serious? Are you really going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about with lifting when you don't have any clue what my background may or may not be? You are sure enough that doing body weight pushups is more effective than lifting heavy ass barbells or dumbbells to build strength and mass that you want to get all cute and fuzzy about it? It's only a stupid argument if I'm wrong, and I'm not.

Push-ups = 1 exercise.  Working with weights = what?  Bench?  Smith machine?  incline?  Decline?  Bar?  Dumbells?  Well-rounded is obviously the best, but to say weight training = better than push-ups gets the retard for comparing a range of exercises to one.  (Which is arguably the best considering all facets - Accessibility, etc...)  And extra retard for doing it picking a stupid argument where one didn't need to arise.  Seriously.  retard  Grow up - and now I guess I have to as I let myself enter the fray with a fraking troll.  This one is for me retard
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2008, 01:49:02 AM »

Going to get my wife to do her test tonight.  I bet she does fairly well.  She's starting to get jacked again. smile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:12 AM »

7!  W00t! And with NO GUN TO MY HEAD.  According to the chart, that makes me a 2nd degree push-upper. HI YAHHHHHHHHHHH!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2008, 02:27:38 AM »

Question:

I can tell you right now that there's no way I will be able to get through the day one work out.

So I have a question: Looking at Day 2 in column 2, it's  9, 8, 6, 5.

Let's say by some miracle I do hit 9. What if 90 secs later I start my second set but I only hit 4.  Do I rest another 90 and finish that 4 or wait a few secs do one more...then another...then another until I hit eight? Or do I just go on to 6?

Oh and I can safely say I'll probably be repeating week 1.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2008, 02:28:15 AM »

Got 24... I'll give it a go. Something like this is more likely to motivate me and not kill myself than trying to jump right into my older more strenuous plans.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2008, 02:30:52 AM »

Did my initial test on Saturday and my first workout this morning. After a dismal 7 on the test, the tier 1 workout went far better than I expected, ending with a 10 on my final set. I've been a little sore today, but I'm very much looking forward to the challenge of the day 2 pushups. Wow. I'm actually a bit excited about working out... Can't remember the last time that happened.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2008, 03:56:07 AM »

Ok ladies, day 1 in the books.

Initial test: 26

Day 1: 10, 10, 8, 6, 29.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2008, 03:56:22 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 22, 2008, 11:05:43 PM

Religion, politics, and now pushups.  Great.

Silly me thinking this thread was going to be a bunch of people trying to encourage each other to complete the challenge.

Have my man-babies plz?

bowdown

I'm doing mine tomorrow night.  My 12 year-old son is doing it with me and is going to kick my ass.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2008, 04:21:23 AM »

Initial Test = 34

Day 1 Sunday

10, 10, 8, 6, 19 

Day 2 Tuesday smile

Werewolf

Good luck to everyone else smile  I wish you the best smile
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 04:47:42 AM by ROTC1983 » Logged

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2008, 06:00:06 AM »

Quote from: ATB on June 23, 2008, 02:27:38 AM

Question:

I can tell you right now that there's no way I will be able to get through the day one work out.

So I have a question: Looking at Day 2 in column 2, it's  9, 8, 6, 5.

Let's say by some miracle I do hit 9. What if 90 secs later I start my second set but I only hit 4.  Do I rest another 90 and finish that 4 or wait a few secs do one more...then another...then another until I hit eight? Or do I just go on to 6?

Oh and I can safely say I'll probably be repeating week 1.

I would say that you just do whatever you can do and keep the 60 second breaks.  If you weren't able to meet the standards for that week then just repeat it again a second week (and I'm sure you'll have no problem meeting the goals by then).  That's what I plan on doing anyways.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »

Yeah if I can't correctly do day 1 then I plan to just redo that day until I can do it, and then move on from there. No point moving to the farther advanced weeks if I can't actually do the exercises. I'll be doing mine here in about half an hour after I get some breakfast.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2008, 10:48:37 AM »

I believe it says that if you cant do it.  then re do it the next day.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »

Quote from: GGMark on June 23, 2008, 10:48:37 AM

I believe it says that if you cant do it.  then re do it the next day.

Also says to take "at least" 60 second breaks that first day. If pushing that to 90 or 120 is what'll give your body enough recovery time to fully do the next set, then take 90 or 120. If I'm not mistaken, it's the number of push-ups that's important, not how fast you can do 'em.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »

Ok, so Day 1 completed.

My initial was in the 6-10 range, so:
7, 7, 5, 4, and just managed 6 on the last bit. I waited the stated 60 seconds for all but the last where I gave myself an extra 30 because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do at least 5 if I went at the minute.

*edit*

I know it says to wait longer on Day 2, but that 9, 8, 6 stuff sounds awfully rough based on today. Ah well. Here's hoping by wednesday I can manage.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:03:55 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »

Day one of the test:

Not too shabby although I'm feeling a little less confident than I was before.  After doing the first four sets, pumping out that 30 was a killer-I don't know what the heck I'm going to do when it gets up to sets of 15 and then as much as you can do.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »

Level 1 :10
Level 2: 10
Level 3: 8
Level 4: 6
Level 5: 12 (minimum 7)

that last 2 killed me.  Arms, quivering.  burning...but I got it...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »

I'm surprised the challenge's website doesn't have a section on proper form.

How low am I supposed to get to the ground between pushes?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 23, 2008, 01:00:24 PM

I'm surprised the challenge's website doesn't have a section on proper form.

How low am I supposed to get to the ground between pushes?

Yah I was a bit surprised at this miss as well. I'm sure a fitness guru will come along and answer properly, but I think the standard is upper arms parallel to the ground... if that makes your belly touch, well... start some walking on the non-push up days. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »

I'm in. Will be doing it in parallel with the couch to 5k program linked on page 1 as well.

Initial Test: 27
Day 1: 10, 10, 8, 6, 17
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:05:35 PM by Covenant » Logged
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »

Hmmm...

Monday through Friday for Six Weeks... 30 days.
Saturday Sunday for Six Weeks... 12 Days.

If I do 3 pushups a day per weekday... that's Ninety... One per weekend Day... well heck, I can do 100 in six weeks and still take a weekend off!

Spawn of OO Collective
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »

Initial test: 7  crybaby

I did the Day 1 workout this morning. 7/7/5/4/7.

I've noticed that my left wrist starts to throb after awhile. I'm hoping that as I move through the workouts this becomes less painful, and doesn't get worse. It seems that way anyway. Saturday when I did the initial test I quit because of the wrist, but today it only bothered me a little bit.

I'm going to fill in the off days with some kind of cardio. I've looked at that couch to 5k program, but I don't know if I want to do it or not. I'll probably start with it anyway, and see how it goes.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on June 23, 2008, 01:40:40 PM

Hmmm...

Monday through Friday for Six Weeks... 30 days.
Saturday Sunday for Six Weeks... 12 Days.

If I do 3 pushups a day per weekday... that's Ninety... One per weekend Day... well heck, I can do 100 in six weeks and still take a weekend off!

Joke has been done.
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »

just looking to start stupid arguments.

icon_evil

Spawn of OO Collective
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print