http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 10:52:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Years of ConsoleGold/GamingTrend!!!  (Read 1440 times)
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 06:19:25 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 09, 2014, 02:34:32 AM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on January 09, 2014, 02:08:46 AM

Well, GT no longer has a PC only category, so they were kind of right.

ETA: October 12, 2004 for me

Never mind that our PC coverage now equals if not surpasses our console coverage. One of the points of the rebrand was to remove the console centrism of the old brand.

See, there was a time when Gone Gold wasn't just a forum. Console Gold/Gaming Trend never was just a forum.

Well, I was just referring to the forums. Keep in mind, I understand why you merged the two categories, plus I think the front page is fantastic; the console-centric focus was a tough rep to lose for awhile.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on January 09, 2014, 04:01:26 AM

See, there was a time when Gone Gold wasn't just a forum. Console Gold/Gaming Trend never was just a forum.
I originally went to GG, for the site's title feature.. I liked the lists of when things went Gold and the release list. It took a little while for me to get to the forums...

and I came here on October 11, 2004. I was on Console Gold somewhat before that.
and I've been a staff member of both GG and GT to some extent which was fun.

same here.  front pager on GG, took a long while before I ventured to the forums.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 09, 2014, 03:52:56 PM

Quote from: Punisher on January 09, 2014, 04:01:26 AM

I originally went to GG, for the site's title feature.. I liked the lists of when things went Gold and the release list. It took a little while for me to get to the forums...

and I came here on October 11, 2004. I was on Console Gold somewhat before that.
and I've been a staff member of both GG and GT to some extent which was fun.

same here.  front pager on GG, took a long while before I ventured to the forums.

My first visit to GG was to announce that Pharaoh had gone gold (I was the producer). I quickly learned that I'd broken protocol by posting the news in the forum rather than giving it to Ron to announce. After that, monitoring the online chatter at GG and elsewhere was one of my responsibilities. Yes: I got paid to hang out at GG.  icon_biggrin

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 08, 2014, 09:19:53 PM

When I first started Console Gold I was updating each page in Dreamweaver by hand.  I would change each page and then re-upload them.  0_0

Ah, yes. I remember doing that forever ago as well. What a pain in the arse that was. biggrin

And yes, I wish the forms didn't split two (or three?) different ways. I frankly thought that was just...dumb. Thought so back then, still think so now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 02:53:17 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 10, 2014, 02:01:43 AM

And yes, I wish the forms didn't split two (or three?) different ways. I frankly thought that was just...dumb. Thought so back then, still think so now.

I'm right with you there, especially nowadays when both forums are getting thinner populations.  The cultures between the two have gotten different enough that I can't see any kind of grand reunification happen, but that's also a sign that maybe there really was a need for split.

In any case, it's pretty crazy how long CG/GT has been around.  I always have a hard time describing these forums to other people.  "Well, it's a gaming forum, but we talk about other stuff" doesn't really cut it, but when I say "I have friends on these forums that I've known for over a decade" it starts to come across a bit better. 

Cheers, and happy anniversary!   The drink that never ends.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 03:24:14 AM »

I'm surprised how few people I've met from the forums in such a long time.  More of you should come to Gencon in Indy next August slywink
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »

Date Registered:   October 16, 2004, 12:30:27 PM

Holy cow! icon_eek
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »

I didn't come here until after the great OOutage in 2008, where I registered back in 2005 I think. I discovered Gone Gold and was there briefly until it disappeared, and randomly fell over OO one day which stated it was a refuge of GG.

I must say, for all the crap we have here sometimes, its still feels like home :-)

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »

I hung (hanged?) out at Gone Gold a bit over the years. My lone foray into gaming journalism was a little write up for Gone Gold from a Westwood Studios launch event for hack'n'slash Nox at a gaming LAN center in northern VA in around 1999. My recollection was another GG forum-ite attended also to do a write up, and Rich ran both of our impressions pieces.

My GamingTrend forums memory is I had a temporary falling out at my favorite gaming forum elsewhere with its founder, and so I was looking for another place to hang up my shingle, so to speak. I don't really even remember how I stumbled onto the GT forums but it felt like the right place for me. Large enough to have more activity and folks to meet, but small enough to not feel completely lost. Not all my buds that I steered to the GT forums felt the same way -- some felt it was "too big." I like that though. Not always crazy about forums so small where I'm basically just posting to myself and I don't ever see other folks' thoughts on something.  icon_smile

I've learned about lots of games here, movies and books and what not too, and I've gotten lots of help (and, um, strong opinions  icon_smile) on fixing problems with hardware, games, and pests in my home.  icon_smile Speaking of which, I've been roach free for months now following two mandatory condo building pest control treatments. A shoutout to those who gave me pest control suggestions a while back. icon_cool

And I've shared my agony over losing my cat Molly to heart failure in 2010 and the joys of adopting my cat JJ in 2011. Good to share that with other pet owners here. It takes a village.  icon_smile

While I've had the occasional tiff here and taken some occasional sabbaticals, I still enjoy posting, reading and lurking here.  icon_cool Wishing Ron and everyone continued success!  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:32:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 10:48:54 PM »

I was a lurker back in the GG days.  Much like I am now.  I don't get the chance to check in during the day so i read up once I get home and that tends to limit my posts.  I started on GG forums because my roommate (BobM) was there every day and I eventually caught on with the Wanderers in EQ2, Star Wars Galaxies, and WoW.  I'm not sure when I first joined up but it feels like a long time ago...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 09:01:20 PM »

10 years next July. Gone Gold, then here.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 10, 2014, 03:24:14 AM

I'm surprised how few people I've met from the forums in such a long time.  More of you should come to Gencon in Indy next August slywink

Meeting Hark, Kato, JarrodHK, and Hark's fiancee was the best part of GenCon... admittedly... I was sick most of the weekend.    Wow, ten years?

Cool!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 02:56:01 AM »

10 years in May.

May 03, 2004, 10:14:27 AM

Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:57:33 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:55 AM »

September 07, 2004, 04:29:41 PM
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »

btw, comiccon here in Indy in march, then late march I'll be in Atlanta.  Might see some of you at one or the other of those.  (poor Kato going to have to see me both)

Then again in August, Gencon here, Dragoncon there.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »

Congrats on being engaged, Hark.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 15, 2014, 05:40:59 PM

btw, comiccon here in Indy in march, then late march I'll be in Atlanta.  Might see some of you at one or the other of those.  (poor Kato going to have to see me both)

Then again in August, Gencon here, Dragoncon there.

I get to wear a kilt to his wedding smile

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: