http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 07:24:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 best sci fi films never made  (Read 1161 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:31:33 PM »

Most I agree with. 9 I'm iffy on and 5 I'm pretty sure isn't possible.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/scifi.html

unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:12:04 AM »

Dune.  Like the book.
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 01:32:17 AM »

Snow Crash WAS an awesome book, one which would make a great movie.  But the term "avatar" was around long before SC.  I could have sworn it was a UNIX term, but wikipedia cites it's earliest usage as an electronic term (other than Ultima IV) in Shadowrun.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:30:05 AM »

That was a very good read.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 04:15:39 AM »

I sure wish they'd made Alien 3 like they had originally proposed.

Ye Olde Farte
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 04:19:32 AM »

4, 6, 7, and 8 for the win, as the saying goes.

*mutters something about how Lucas ruined his childhood memories*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 06:43:47 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Snow Crash WAS an awesome book, one which would make a great movie.  But the term "avatar" was around long before SC.  I could have sworn it was a UNIX term, but wikipedia cites it's earliest usage as an electronic term (other than Ultima IV) in Shadowrun.

I think even Stephenson has said that he thought he used the term first when he wrote it, but later discovered he was wrong.  It's not a Unix term that I know of, and I've been around Unix a fair bit, but the Ultima series' use of it, in essentially the same manner, certainly predates Snow Crash.  I doubt that was even the first.

I do think it could make a great movie.  I doubt it ever will.  Best we can hope for is a sci-fi channel "masterpiece" slywink
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:52:09 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
I think even Stephenson has said that he thought he used the term first when he wrote it, but later discovered he was wrong.  It's not a Unix term that I know of, and I've been around Unix a fair bit, but the Ultima series' use of it, in essentially the same manner, certainly predates Snow Crash.  I doubt that was even the first.

Ultima uses it more in it's real meaning, which is a term in Hinduism as the living embodiment of some sort of supreme being (generally Vishnu in Hinduism).  I suppose an analogous situation would be Jesus as being an avatar of Yahweh.

I do remember it from Shadowrun, since I played the first edition PnP game (WAY too many dice rolls).  However, I thought that it was used prior to that, but on thinking back, I might be wrong.

Snow Crash shows Stephenson knows quite a bit about religions, so it's quite possible he actually used the term without knowing about any prior uses.  Shadowrun was rather obscure at the time, even for the obscure hobby of playing PnP games.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 01:20:37 PM »

Can someone please post the list of movies for me?  I'm at work and our network blocker won't allow me access to the site.

Thanks.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

DnD 2nd Ed. also used the term avatar in it's original meaning. Some spells could call down an Avatar IIRC, including stuff like divine intervention.

I don't know the history or DnD 1st Ed, or whether ShadowRun was first or not.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 01:56:15 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Can someone please post the list of movies for me?  I'm at work and our network blocker won't allow me access to the site.

Thanks.

10. "The 'Real' Alien 3" where the aliens come to earth as originally promised
9. "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" that stays truer to the book's sense of comedy
8. "Star Wars VII"
7. "Star Wars VIII"
6. "Star Wars IX"  all with real sets instead of greenscreen
5. "Doom" but gory
4. "Starcraft"
3. "Snow Crash"
2. "Matrix Prequel"
1. ONE "Matrix Sequel"
11. "EMERGENCY!"
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Thanks.

10. "The 'Real' Alien 3" where the aliens come to earth as originally promised
9. "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" that stays truer to the book's sense of comedy
8. "Star Wars VII"
7. "Star Wars VIII"
6. "Star Wars IX"  all with real sets instead of greenscreen
5. "Doom" but gory
4. "Starcraft"
3. "Snow Crash"
2. "Matrix Prequel"
1. ONE "Matrix Sequel"
11. "EMERGENCY!"

WONDERPUG YOU SON OF A @##&#!!!

You got me good you jerk! :wink:

You should have seen my jaw drop when my eyes saw your number "11" and I didn't notice the "11".  You made my heart skip a beat.

<Starshifter grumbles and walks away wondering what could have been...and how to get even with the pug ninja  > biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »

Ok...I don't love the list but its a good read and I agree with about half of them.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 04:22:55 PM »

A few of the titles on the list hit home.

I've always wanted to see the proposed Aliens 3. I think they could even make an Aliens 5 with the same senario, and brush #3 and #4 off as nightmares that Ripley's had - her nightmares are already canon, like at the beginning of Aliens, so you could kind of just reboot the series, with Ripley on earth when the Aliens reach our planet.

Never wanted Star Wars 7-9, but I did want 1-3 where the entire new trilogy was the Clone Wars. Anakin's a young man at the start, already an incredible warrior. A good man who ultimately goes bad with good reason. A situation where we actually want him to go to the Dark Side. No heavy-handed politics, just military and political betrayal. And a little love thrown in the mix.

And then the Matrix. A series that was born on the amazing Matrix-fu that dazzled us all ... and finished with fighting robots and Dragonball. All I wanted to see was a full out war in the Matrix - and when the slick mother fuckers had their meeting in the sewers in Reloaded, I thought I was going to get it. Imagine the twenty, thirty, forty best fighters all kicking ass against a slew of agents, lead by Neo.

Anyway. I guy can dream, I guess.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 05:59:42 PM »

Great point about the terrible Matrix sequels, stiff Star Wars prequels and a fun read overall.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »

You know whats funny, I havent seen any of the movies in the actual rankings, besides 1-2, I sen all the Matrix movies, honourable mention: Shaun of the Dead.

Why start from the beginning when you can go straight to the finish!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »

Thanks.

Hey Starshifter:

Try using this site to defeat the bastard network blockers.

http://www.unseensurfing.com/

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: