http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 01:28:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10,000 posts. History, The Site, The Future  (Read 3179 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 07:36:59 PM »

Props to all those that make this such a kick-ass place to be!   thumbsup

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 03:20:43 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on January 19, 2007, 06:44:46 PM

Where am I?

depends.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 03:26:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2007, 03:20:43 AM

Where am I?

depends.

How did you find out?  icon_redface

Ye Olde Farte
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2007, 03:38:38 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on January 20, 2007, 03:26:09 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2007, 03:20:43 AM

Where am I?

depends.

How did you find out?  icon_redface

there was a leak.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2007, 03:45:16 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 19, 2007, 04:06:19 PM

eek

Look what I found....

http://web.archive.org/web/20020331121337/http://www.consolegold.com/

An unfortunate event is unfolding for ConsoleGold....Hetz is leaving us.  I'm more then sympathetic to his situation (lack of time, new kid, ect) and I just want to wish him the very best.  Thank you for all the hard work you put in...it is greatly appreciated.

This does create a job opening for a console release list coordinator...any takers?

Wow, I do remember that time very well in my life. I had just had my first child and work was crazy. Shortly after I left here, Calvin asked me to come do work for him as Senior Editor over at Zengamer. Since he was an old friend of mine, I took it....but I didn't last all that long, due to the whole job/family thing.

I was lucky to have you and I think that was a time in the site when we were doing very well and things were on the upswing after the split, you were a great editor  thumbsup but I knew you had too much to do staying home with your daughter!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2007, 03:45:43 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 19, 2007, 06:48:50 PM

thumbsup
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2007, 05:08:13 AM »

You've done a great job, guys. Well done. Respect.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2007, 06:08:41 AM »

Good job Ron here's to 10,000 more posts. Tongue

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2007, 09:00:45 AM »

My artist senses are tingling!

KSD, I just want to warn you that your new front page, while nice looking at first, suffers from a big problem that many big sites have.  And that's too much information, all at once, scattered jumbled around.  Specifically, you've got a ton of text there and while that can work, you'll have to be extra careful to use many subtle cues to readers to help move their eyes around

In essence, I'm saying watch your composition.  You've got detail in your front page all over the place, there's no where for the eye rest and recuperate before diving into another area of detail.

Also start looking at your front page in terms of eye flow in general.  Fire up the site and just look at it without reading anything, try to clear out what you know of the site already and see it with a fresh eye.  As soon as the page loads, look over the site, keep note of the first thing your eye goes to, note where it goes next, where your eye gets hung up on.  Next try to think of some random game or new info that you want to find.  See if it's really intuitive to find said info on the front page.

Once you do this, adjust where your info blocks are, keep note of the colors and shapes and where they're pointing the eye too, you can adjust these to help keep that eye flow moving.  Not to mention you can use this knowledge to direct the eye over an ad for long enough for them to register the ad before moving on, and if done right they won't realize they've been marketed to.

I know the tendency is to pack in as much information on to one page, but sometimes you just have to put that negative space in there to give that text, ad, or image the impact and it needs.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »

Congrats to the staff and users alike. Glad GT is around and better than ever. Great group of people here. Glad to be a small part of it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2007, 04:43:49 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 20, 2007, 09:00:45 AM

KSD, I just want to warn you that your new front page, while nice looking at first, suffers from a big problem that many big sites have.  And that's too much information, all at once, scattered jumbled around.  Specifically, you've got a ton of text there and while that can work, you'll have to be extra careful to use many subtle cues to readers to help move their eyes around

In essence, I'm saying watch your composition.  You've got detail in your front page all over the place, there's no where for the eye rest and recuperate before diving into another area of detail.

Also start looking at your front page in terms of eye flow in general.  Fire up the site and just look at it without reading anything, try to clear out what you know of the site already and see it with a fresh eye.  As soon as the page loads, look over the site, keep note of the first thing your eye goes to, note where it goes next, where your eye gets hung up on.  Next try to think of some random game or new info that you want to find.  See if it's really intuitive to find said info on the front page.

Once you do this, adjust where your info blocks are, keep note of the colors and shapes and where they're pointing the eye too, you can adjust these to help keep that eye flow moving.  Not to mention you can use this knowledge to direct the eye over an ad for long enough for them to register the ad before moving on, and if done right they won't realize they've been marketed to.

I know the tendency is to pack in as much information on to one page, but sometimes you just have to put that negative space in there to give that text, ad, or image the impact and it needs.

Appreciate the input, but as the guy who designed that page, let me just say don't judge it based on this tiny shrunk-down graphic.  Trust me, all of these things you speak of have been taken into account, and a LOT of details are lost when you shrink down a 1024x768 mock-up into a tiny thumbnail like that.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2007, 05:21:51 AM »

Quote from: warning on January 19, 2007, 05:23:22 AM

I've seen the full-size version.

It gives me wood.

Despite what the voices tell you, no one is interested in your "wood".  icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2007, 05:53:41 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 20, 2007, 04:43:49 PM

Quote from: Turtle on January 20, 2007, 09:00:45 AM

Appreciate the input, but as the guy who designed that page, let me just say don't judge it based on this tiny shrunk-down graphic.  Trust me, all of these things you speak of have been taken into account, and a LOT of details are lost when you shrink down a 1024x768 mock-up into a tiny thumbnail like that.
I like what I hear!!
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »

Congrats!
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2007, 01:30:16 AM »

10 years of lurking - damn! that's a lot of non-posting if you ask me smile

Here's to another 10...

Chris.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2007, 04:01:05 AM »

Glad to see this site make it this far and I look forward to doing anything I can to help it progress. Congratulations to Ron, like I have said in the past I am amazed at the dedication you put into this site.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2007, 02:12:57 PM »

I have a question.  How come the main page is so tiny and squished over to one side?  It looks decidedly old school that it doesn't seem to scale to resolutions like most websites.

Not to mention on my screen, there is well over half my monitor of grey space on it.

Also, might want to remove the banner ad for Shatners DVD clud.  They shut it down because the movies sucked ass.  Tongue

http://www.shatnerdvdclub.com/

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:15:47 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 23, 2007, 02:12:57 PM

I have a question.  How come the main page is so tiny and squished over to one side?  It looks decidedly old school that it doesn't seem to scale to resolutions like most websites.

Not to mention on my screen, there is well over half my monitor of grey space on it.

Also, might want to remove the banner ad for Shatners DVD clud.  They shut it down because the movies sucked ass.  Tongue

http://www.shatnerdvdclub.com/

Well, because it is old school.  3.5 years ago when we did that redesign, it was prudent to scale websites for the aspect ratio of 800x600.  After some deliberation, it was decided with the redesign we are working on to make it scaled to a 1024x768 aspect ratio.  What you are referring to is a 'liquid' layout, which can work in some situations but looks horrible in others.  Only a small percentage of sites successfully pull off liquid layouts, and they are generally more text-heavy.

Oh, and thanks for the heads-up on the shatner dvd club- they are nuked.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: