http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:25:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 year since I quit smoking!  (Read 1207 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »

Today marks 1 year since I quit smoking.  I feel so much better since quitting.  I look back now and wonder how the hell was I able to smoke for so long (15 years).  Any way, it's a neat milestone to hit today.  Take it from me...if you want to quit smoking, you can do it!
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »

That's great!

Did you have any problems from quitting like gaining weight? I've heard that people who quit feel the need to keep something in their hands since they're not holding a cigarette anymore.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:27:21 PM »

I put on about 15 lbs in the year that I quit, but I've always been really lean.  So now I am 6'2", 185 and at the weight all the charts say I should be at.  I eat a lot better now than I used to as well, so I am sure that helps.

When quitting, I did use the patch, but not like they say to.  I only put it on when I was freaking out.  I figured I would deal with the habitual addiction first and let my body get the drug through another source.  I barely used the patch at all, but it was enough to take the edge off a couple times.  I did chew a lot of gum though.  (Regular kind, I didn't feel like the nicotine gum did anything)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:35:58 PM »

Huzzah!  Kratz should look to you for inspiration.  You're the meaning in his life and all that.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on November 11, 2008, 02:03:35 PM

That's great!

Did you have any problems from quitting like gaining weight? I've heard that people who quit feel the need to keep something in their hands since they're not holding a cigarette anymore.

I gained 20 pounds when I quit and went from slightly overweight to obese. After a few years I gradually dropped back to merely overweight. Now I'm a semi-smoker. I smoke a couple of cigarettes on most Tuesday nights, plus a few cigars per week. I broke my addiction six years ago. Now I smoke because I choose to, not because I need to. 

These stats aren't entirely accurate, since I do still enjoy occasional tobacco products, but here they are anyway:

Your Quit Date is:   4/16/2002 6:00:00 PM 
Time Smoke-Free: 2400 days, 16 hours, 42 minutes and 5 seconds    
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 60017
Lifetime Saved:  15 months, 8 days, 11 hours
Money Saved: $14,556.06

The money is based on an average $4 per pack. I know they're a lot more than that now, but they were 40 cents a pack when I started.

Oh: Congrats on the 1-year mark!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »

Nice job, man!  You give me hope.  I'm at about 7 weeks...
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »

congrats leo!

quitting was tough for me, but at last count:

My Stats:
Your Quit Date is:  5/29/2007 12:00:00 PM email me my daily stats
Time Smoke-Free: 532 days, 1 hour, 37 minutes and 13 seconds    
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 10641
Lifetime Saved:  2 months, 21 days, 6 hours
Money Saved: $3,458.00

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »

It will be 4 months on Friday since I quit, and I've been smoke-free. I'm glad I quit, but if they ever invent a cigarette that has no negative medical effects, I will be back slywink.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:56:31 PM »

Congrats, folks.  Keep it up.  Both my parents quit and I look forward to having them around a lot longer now (mostly).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 11, 2008, 03:49:02 PM

The money is based on an average $4 per pack. I know they're a lot more than that now, but they were 40 cents a pack when I started.

Congratulations! You must be the only septuagenarian on these forums!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 03:30:57 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 12, 2008, 11:42:04 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on November 11, 2008, 03:49:02 PM

Congratulations! You must be the only septuagenarian on these forums!

icon_lol Close enough, I reckon. They were $4 per carton at a local gas station. Gasoline was 24 cents a gallon at the same station. I remember getting change from my quarter when I filled my dirt bike's 1-gallon gas tank. It was 1973, and I was 16.

Yesterday I bought a pack for my smoker friend to to renew my Tuesday-night mooching rights. (And yes, I took out only three for myself and gave him the rest). $6.50 per pack...ye gods! I'm told that they are upwards of 8 bucks in places like NYC. The price had just reached $5 when I quit in 2002.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »

When I quit I was spending $3.83/pack... 48 days ago...
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »

I have been quit for about 5 minutes right now.  Unfortunately that will start over again in an hour or two.  I really need to make the committment to try to quit again for good.  Last time I went 3 months before something happened and I had a lot of stress at one time.

I will do the same thing again and take 1/2 the money I spent and put in a buy fun things pot and the other1/2 for savings.  It gives me an incentive to not spend the money on something as stupid as cigarettes.  Now if I can only get all my co-workers and friends to quit it would make it so much easier.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »

Good Job!!

It has been 11 years for me...and fyi, I still get a jones from time to time.

I quit on the day I got married.  Smoke my last on October 19, 1997.  biggrin

It is a very hard thing to do...but I found that actually wanting to quit, and having a reason to quit -me I was getting married and my daughter was about to be born- really helped.  It sounds simple but really, if you want to quit and have a reason to quit...it does make it easier.  Not easy, but easier.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 02:17:09 AM »

Quote from: kratz on November 12, 2008, 04:51:46 PM

When I quit I was spending $3.83/pack... 48 days ago...

Friend of mine was buying hers from an indian reservation for a couple of years. The state found out and hit her with a $1500 tax bill.  eek

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »

We used to have people give money to baggers at the base commissary to circumvent the purchase limits.

You know, the Nazis were anti-smoking... (Wikipedia's featured article today...  saywhat )

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »

I'm meeting a couple friends for dinner tonight, and one is in her 60s and chain smokes still. We're going to eat in "the smoking room."  icon_razz

I never smoked, but I spent a lot of my youth in bowling alleys where I was just enveloped in it all day (especially late 1970s).

When I started my first full time newspaper reporter job in late 1988 (20th anniversary), the editor was a walking, cussing, screaming, stereotype, including his smoking every waking minute of the day. Back then, you could smoke anywhere in the building (probably insane, given all the newsprint around). Often he would literally drip ashes all over the floor around your desk (and *you* if you weren't careful) while working with you on a story, though I tended to refer to it as "berating you over a story."  icon_lol

My old newspaper is still there, but now they've limited smoking to a far corner of the visitor's parking lot, where smokers I guess huddle even if it's freezing outside.

It's just bizarre how the world works. I've known people like him and the friend I'm meeting tomorrow who smoked all their lives and never had a lung problem of note. And I've known people who never smoked a day of their lives who died of lung cancer or respiratory ailments.   saywhat World, you are a bizarre place!  icon_confused

I guess also at my college newspaper in 1986-87, my female news editor and editor in chief smoked like mad, as did much of the newsroom. They had a "smoke out" day once where they tried to quit, but this mostly consisted of chewing gum and candy, and getting really irritable for one day.  icon_razz

And congratz on the 1-year anniversary!  icon_cool
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:32:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: