http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:51:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *whimper* I painted all weekend - what'd you do?  (Read 1889 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:18:43 PM »

So the wife and I are doing some big house improvements (bathroom rebuild, changeout all ceiling fans, new carpet, paint inside and out, new countertops, etc.) and this weekend kicked things off - we painted the exterior of the house.  The old look was light brown with a dark brown edge and light brown flashing.  Brown, brown, brown = suck.  We've repainted it a darker gray with a burgundy / crimson trim and replaced all of the brown flashing edge with white flashing.  We aren't quite done with the trim, but gawd I'm exhausted. 

What'd you do with your weekend?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »

Any before and after photos of you hard work?

XBox GAMERTAG:Juniordan     ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222  ()  ()  ()
PlayStation: Spinks      ()  ()  ()
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:22:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 19, 2008, 02:18:43 PM

So the wife and I are doing some big house improvements (bathroom rebuild, changeout all ceiling fans, new carpet, paint inside and out, new countertops, etc.) and this weekend kicked things off - we painted the exterior of the house.  The old look was light brown with a dark brown edge and light brown flashing.  Brown, brown, brown = suck.  We've repainted it a darker gray with a burgundy / crimson trim and replaced all of the brown flashing edge with white flashing.  We aren't quite done with the trim, but gawd I'm exhausted. 

How's it look?  We pretty much cleaned up puke.  I mean the kids aren't that sick but they have coughs; and they cough until they puke.  Charming.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »

My weekend was rather exhausting too- cleaned out both the attached garage and the standalone garage (a *major* undertaking) and also moved everything out of the dining room so that I could move my office/"Playroom" there so that we could free up a bedroom for a new arrival this summer.  Assuming that I can finish getting everything out of my old room, the coming weekend will be devoted to painting it. 
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »

I didn't have a long weekend, but my wife was out of town.

I surprised her by painting the main level bathroom, which is a small job since the room is about 3 feet by 6 feet. Still took most of a day, by the time I got the wallpaper that was in there off the walls.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on February 19, 2008, 02:21:25 PM

Any before and after photos of you hard work?

Not quite yet.  When the trim is done I'll get pictures of it and post it up.  We ended up forgoing the Wagner Power Painter thing for a professional level airless sprayer - best money I could have spent.  The last wagner I had died after about 1/2 the house of use - this one just kept on purring. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »

How's it look?  We pretty much cleaned up puke.  I mean the kids aren't that sick but they have coughs; and they cough until they puke.  Charming.

Yech.  I think I'm ok without the before and after pictures of that....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »

laid around the apartment, played a bunch of games, saw Jumper.... yep, a nice quiet relaxing weekend.  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:29:46 PM »

3 day weekend.  Lots of doing nothing.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »

Allow me to preface this by saying, "You asked." 

I have one thing to say.  In-laws.

They were scheduled to arrive at 11:30pm Friday night.  Which would give me plenty of time to "prepare" for their arrival with happy hour (which we all know never lasts just one hour  icon_cool).  A co-worker and I left the office around 3 to play pool for the evening.  He has been harassing me to play for a while now, and so Friday was as good a day as any.  My co-worker (actually, one of the minions that reports to me) is actually quite good and it was refreshing to finally play against true competition.  I finished the night having won 6 of our 16 games, which normally would irritate me, but he has been playing for over 20 years and each game came down to the wire.  I even found myself playing up to my competition and that really helped my confidence in playing pool.

After about five hours of drinking and shooting pool I headed home to continue "preparing" for my in-laws' arrival with more beer and a few rounds of COD4 (my clan tag became [InLw] for the night  ninja).  My wife had offered to pick them up at the airport so there was no need for me to be sober in any way.  I didn't even have to go along.   icon_biggrin  Or so I thought.

At around 10:30pm the phone rings and my in-laws have already touched down and are heading to baggage claim.   icon_eek  I ran upstairs to let my wife know and she was passed out in bed with a damp cloth over her face.   icon_confused  WTF?  When I asked if she was okay, she apparently had a headache from the cosmopolitans she fired down with her boss after work and was also rather nauseous.  So much for her intentions to pick up her parents at the airport.   disgust

Off I go to the airport.  I should probably just call Sheriff Joe and make reservations at the Buckeye Tent Prison.  When I arrived at the airport I couldn't even pull over to the curb before the slightly too enthusiastic police officer was waving me on rather adamantly.  Not exactly a good situation for an irritated, slightly intoxicated PeteRock to be in.  I at first thought I could utilize traffic to my advantage by being unable to pull away from the curb, but he was "kind" enough to stop traffic for me.  Great.  Oh, and a word of advice to the group.  When your windows and sunroof are open, do not scream "fucking dickwad" at a police officer while driving by.  Simply trust me on this one, as you will soon learn why.

Before I reached the end of the terminal I finally saw my in-laws and was able to pull over to stop again.  But it was then that I also learned that cursing at the police officer who forced me to move from my original position was a bad idea as he had been chasing my car along the terminal and was a-runnin' along the curb directly for me to tell me to move yet again.  Even though he could clearly see that I was loading my father-in-law's fucking golf clubs into my car, indicating that I wasn't just stopped there to people-watch.  Perhaps, "I'll move when I'm done loading the fucking car," was not the best way to continue my discourse with the police officer, especially after having had a little to drink over the course of the night, but before I could be handcuffed and chauffeured to Buckeye Tent Prison sans passing Go or collecting any sort of monetary compensation, another car came speeding through the terminal, almost clipped a pedestrian, and ran a stop sign at the end of the terminal.  My favorite neighborhood policeman found a more interesting pursuit and quickly forgot about me.   

This all certainly made for an interesting ride home.

M.I.L. - "Why do you smell like beer?"

Me - "Because I was drinking beer."

F.I.L - <<laughter>>

M.I.L. - "And you're driving?"

Me - "Yep.  Didn't think you wanted to walk.  Although it is a nice night."

M.I.L. - "Where is my daughter, and why didn't SHE pick us up?!?!  Surely SHE is a little more responsible."

Me - "She's at home, drunker than I am."

F.I.L. - <<harder laughter>>

M.I.L. - "Why were you two drinking?"

<<silence>>

<<crickets chirping>>

Me - "Um, we're really happy you could visit with us."

Silence for the rest of the drive home.

Saturday

Dropped off the dogs at the boarding kennel and headed toward the Clarkdale/Jerome area for the weekend.  Our first stop was the Clarkdale train station for a scenic four hour train ride through beautiful canyons and mountains on the Verde Canyon Railroad.  The train had indoor seating, a snack bar stocked with beer (both my father-in-law's and my own eyes lit up at this little tidbit), and an outdoor car with benches and sun shades. 

M.I.L. - "But you're not drinking beer."

Me - "Um, why the 'F' not?"

M.I.L. - "Because, you shouldn't 'need' to."

Me - "Have you met my mother-in-law?"  (this I kept as a thought to myself)  "I don't 'need' to, I 'want' to.  Right Terry?"

F.I.L. - "Yep." 

<<more irritated silence>>

We would be able to ride outside and take in all of the scenery, look for bald eagles, and just enjoy the day's beautiful weather.  All while drinking local microbrews from the Sedona area.  The ride was amazing.  My father-in-law and I enjoyed a number of cold beers, the stunning scenery, and the silence associated with my mother-in-law being preoccupied with her daughter.

The train ride was a blast, my father-in-law and I had a great time trying new local beers and taking in the scenery, and at the end of the ride we had plenty of pictures (and a $75 bar tab).  From the train station we headed to our hotel to change for dinner.  But not before stopping at a local grocery for more beer at my father-in-law's request.  I love that man. 

We had a few more cold ones, and then we headed to Jerome for dinner at the Jerome Grand Hotel Asylum Restaurant, winner of numerous awards for fine dining and amazing wines.  Plus, the place is rumored to be haunted.  Dinner was unbelievable.  Sparkling Shiraz as an apertif, followed by a spicy squash soup paired with a phenomenal South American Grenache , and then rack of lamb paired with one of the best petite syrah's I have ever had.  The in-laws were thoroughly impressed, dinner was one of the best meals we have had in quite a while, the scenery was breathtaking, the haunted stories shared by our waiter were entertaining and a bit creepy (the hotel was extremely creepy), and it was a hell of a day. 

Sunday

Back to Jerome for shopping and more fantastic food.  Our day started at the Mile High Bar and Grill for breakfast.  And lots of coffee.  Breakfast consisted of their own special take on eggs benedict.  Two egg mcmuffins topped with fresh crab cakes, two eggs any style (I went with over-easy), pepper jack cheese, and a roasted red pepper aioli.  Phenomenal. 

And then the shopping started.  And continued.  And continued.  And went on.  And continued to go on.  And went on some more.  My father-in-law and I were near our wit's end with all of the shopping, until we stumbled upon the Spirit Room.  My father-in-law and I have developed a fantastic relationship, and without even having to speak a single word we both nodded at each other in recognition, quietly walked inside the Spirit Room, ordered a round, and relaxed while the ladyfolk shopped for another three hours.  And we witnessed further proof that our wives know us too well as they walked in after three hours of not even noticing that we had disappeared and said, "We knew we'd find you two here."   ninja

We returned home Sunday evening, picked up the dogs from the kennel, gave them both baths, and the weekend had finally come to a close.  Only 10 more days of visiting in-laws.   retard

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »

I think I would have rather been at home painting.  I was at work on a horrible 4 day trip from hell.  I spent all 4 days playing with those storms that ripped through the south and southeast this weekend.  Saturday was the worst, starting at 11 am in Memphis, and not ending until 245 am Sunday morning in Monterrey, Mx, with one meal that entire time, hours spent in holding patterns, 2 go arounds in one day due to windshear, one diversion to a non destination airport due to t-storm on the field, getting hit by lightening, followed by grand 8 hours of barely legal 'rest' (which by the time all is said and done equals 5 hours sleep), then another 14 hour Sunday spent dodging in and out of T-Storms, 8 hours rests, then 12 hours duty monday.  Due to the many unscheduled delays, our breaks were eaten up so I got 1 meal a day for 3 days, but on monday got lucky and had 2 meals.  Horrible turbulence all weekend long, irate passengers somehow blaming us for the delays (hint: we don't control the weather!), one passenger in particular passenger calling us 'the shittiest flightcrew ever!' for not taking off in a raging 'extreme' level thunderstorm in Dallas, then when things finally calm down and we do go and get to the destination he says 'why the hell couldn't you find a smoother route dumbasses!?"  Ugh. 

This is an actual picture my wife took of me as I walked in the door late last night  retard

On the bright side my 'weekend now starts and is 5 days long  nod

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »

ninja

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 07:39:25 PM »

Question - how tough is it to replace a light fixture with a ceiling fan? I've replaced four of the light fixtures in our house but haven't done so with a fan yet. Complex? Not so much? Do you have to go in through the ceiling or is it fairly simple to replace?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 07:40:09 PM »

PeteRock,

You rock. thumbsup

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

Almost finished putting my pantry back together (paint, install shelves, etc).

Quote from: PeteRock on February 19, 2008, 05:07:06 PM

... wow that's a lot of words ...

We had a few more cold ones, and then we headed to Jerome for dinner at the Jerome Grand Hotel Asylum Restaurant, winner of numerous awards for fine dining and amazing wines.  Plus, the place is rumored to be haunted.  Dinner was unbelievable.  Sparkling Shiraz as an apertif, followed by a spicy squash soup paired with a phenomenal South American Grenache , and then rack of lamb paired with one of the best petite syrah's I have ever had.  The in-laws were thoroughly impressed, dinner was one of the best meals we have had in quite a while, the scenery was breathtaking, the haunted stories shared by our waiter were entertaining and a bit creepy (the hotel was extremely creepy), and it was a hell of a day. 

... and there were even more down here ...

Jerome is an awesome place. I really would like to stay at the Asylum. I didn't know they had a fancy restaurant there, what was the price range for the food?

LiveTAG: happydog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 19, 2008, 07:39:25 PM

Question - how tough is it to replace a light fixture with a ceiling fan? I've replaced four of the light fixtures in our house but haven't done so with a fan yet. Complex? Not so much? Do you have to go in through the ceiling or is it fairly simple to replace?

Depending on the electrical box, and the fan you buy. You get what you pay for, so don't get the cheapest fan you can find (if it comes with duct tape NIB beware!).

The old light fixture should be hooked up to a junction box, and that should be NAILED/SCREWED into something solid, like a crossbeam/rafter. Ceiling fans will often should come with their own mounting kits to anchor them securely.

Other than the multiple layers you have to screw in, it's no different than installing any other lighting fixture.

If a standard fixture is 4/10 in difficulty, a cieling fan should only be a 6/10. One VERY important step during install... RTFM icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »

Quote from: happydog on February 19, 2008, 07:42:05 PM

Jerome is an awesome place. I really would like to stay at the Asylum. I didn't know they had a fancy restaurant there, what was the price range for the food?

We actually tried to get rooms at the Asylum, but they were completely booked for that weekend and beyond (there were six of us traveling, making arrangements a little more challenging for places with limited availability).  I too was surprised to learn that the Asylum has an award-winning restaurant with an unbelievable wine list.  The restaurant was recently awarded the North American Restaurant Associations "Award of Excellence", it has also been awarded the Wine Spectators "Award of Excellence" in 2001, 2002, and 2003, and it was also recently awarded the three diamonds rating by AAA of America.

Appetizers range in price from $6 to $10, and entrees range from $18 to $30.  But when weighing the price of entrees, you should know that the price also includes a fresh garden salad or a random soup the chef has crafted from scratch.  During our visit the chef prepared an amazing squash soup with heavy cream and various chili peppers.  Phenomenal. 

The wine prices were also quite reasonable, and their by-the-glass listing included some of their finest offerings, allowing you to pair glasses of wine with your dishes rather than forcing you to select just one wine by the bottle.  And if you are unable to decide they also offer a reasonably priced wine flight allowing you to sample up to five different wines.

The overall price of admission was more than reasonable, especially for the caliber of food and wine offered by the restaurant.  I have paid far more for much less.  Not to mention the creepy yet elegant atmosphere (who would have ever expected to pair those two descriptions together), the wait staff was attentive, knowledgable, and very friendly, but be forwarned about parking.  Bloody hell was that a challenge.  And it is also a challenge just to get to the hotel.  You have to find an unmarked narrow one-way alley and hope that no cars are leaving the hotel, which is not easy with the odd roads through town.  And once you reach the hotel there is no guarantee you will find a place to park.  My only complaint was that the mint chutney accompanying my rack of lamb was a bit on the sweet side, tasting too much like candy.

Here is the Asylum website complete with links to contact information, a brief history of the restaurant and hotel, an abbreviated menu with pricing, and an exerpt from their wine list.  I would heartily recommend the restaurant, and if you haven't done the train tour, it is a fantastic way to spend a Saturday with out-of-town guests. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »

I flew back from London, England on Saturday. That kind of killed the entire weekend with Sunday being a few hours of driving and more sleeping.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 08:43:35 PM »

I signed up for the gym in my building, and proceeded to not go in lieu of playing WoW all weekend.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 12:36:54 AM »

My wife got a triggerpoint pain injection in her back for a really tensed up muscle and apparently the needle went a little too far in.  Her left lung collapsed on Friday and she was in the hospital into Saturday.  I then became the target of her frustration and anger; did I mention my wife hates not being able to do things for herself.  I did manage an escape to FRY's in Alpharetta with my son and the neighbors son on Sunday.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 01:05:05 AM »

Saturday: Slept late, then f'd around on the internet all day before watching a movie that night.

Sunday: Spent most of the day at a Daytona 500 party.  Free beer, free food, and I won the betting pool.  Only negative was when my friend's seven year old freaked out on the drive home because something was happening in the baseball game he was trying to play on his DS.  It's interesting that adults get mad at games but kids cry.

Monday: Slept late, then grabbed lunch and went to a nearby state park to enjoy a shockingly sunny and warm day for this time of year.

icon_biggrin

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 01:10:41 AM »

I know what I'll be doing this coming weekend:

Reading PeteRocks post  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 03:25:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 20, 2008, 01:10:41 AM

I know what I'll be doing this coming weekend:

Reading PeteRocks post  Tongue

You might want to take off Monday, just in case  icon_biggrin
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 05:56:09 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 19, 2008, 08:06:40 PM

Quote from: happydog on February 19, 2008, 07:42:05 PM

We actually tried to get rooms at the Asylum, but they were completely booked for that weekend and beyond (there were six of us traveling, making arrangements a little more challenging for places with limited availability).  I too was surprised to learn that the Asylum has an award-winning restaurant with an unbelievable wine list.  The restaurant was recently awarded the North American Restaurant Associations "Award of Excellence", it has also been awarded the Wine Spectators "Award of Excellence" in 2001, 2002, and 2003, and it was also recently awarded the three diamonds rating by AAA of America.

Appetizers range in price from $6 to $10, and entrees range from $18 to $30.  But when weighing the price of entrees, you should know that the price also includes a fresh garden salad or a random soup the chef has crafted from scratch.  During our visit the chef prepared an amazing squash soup with heavy cream and various chili peppers.  Phenomenal. 

The wine prices were also quite reasonable, and their by-the-glass listing included some of their finest offerings, allowing you to pair glasses of wine with your dishes rather than forcing you to select just one wine by the bottle.  And if you are unable to decide they also offer a reasonably priced wine flight allowing you to sample up to five different wines.

The overall price of admission was more than reasonable, especially for the caliber of food and wine offered by the restaurant.  I have paid far more for much less.  Not to mention the creepy yet elegant atmosphere (who would have ever expected to pair those two descriptions together), the wait staff was attentive, knowledgable, and very friendly, but be forwarned about parking.  Bloody hell was that a challenge.  And it is also a challenge just to get to the hotel.  You have to find an unmarked narrow one-way alley and hope that no cars are leaving the hotel, which is not easy with the odd roads through town.  And once you reach the hotel there is no guarantee you will find a place to park.  My only complaint was that the mint chutney accompanying my rack of lamb was a bit on the sweet side, tasting too much like candy.

Here is the Asylum website complete with links to contact information, a brief history of the restaurant and hotel, an abbreviated menu with pricing, and an exerpt from their wine list.  I would heartily recommend the restaurant, and if you haven't done the train tour, it is a fantastic way to spend a Saturday with out-of-town guests. 

Just to keep this nice little (little?) derail going...

I know the alley you have to find, and with my Mini it would be a cinch. Parking though... who knows. I haven't done that train ride yet, but might have to look into it. We did the train up to the Big Ditch(R) a few years ago. That was pretty nice.

LiveTAG: happydog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: