http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 08:57:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *NOT* Sir Moleneux, Peter Moleneux, OBE  (Read 1108 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2004, 04:34:52 PM »

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing the Queen never played Black and White or Fable.

Despite WBS's little commentary there, I'm happy for the guy. He's brought a lot of innovation and "gone out" on limbs to try to bring new stuff to the world of gaming. We don't have any me-too FPS games coming out, and I for one enjoy the games he's put out. Not every song by Sir Elton John has been a chart-topper, but as to B&W and Fable, they've made more money than *I'll* ever see.

I'm guessing that he's received knighthood as he represents an ideal, and is an outstanding british game developer who has put his heart and soul into the work he does.  

Kudos to him.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 04:53:13 PM »

So I was feeling mouthy this morning. biggrin Congratulations to him for the award, and it must feel pretty good to know everyone has to address you as Sir henceforth. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 04:55:20 PM »

Being knighted now days means nothing and the people they knight are so lame. Id almost be embarrassed to be knighted.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 05:17:22 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
everyone has to address you as Sir henceforth. smile

Odd name, I like the sound of Sir Coop though.

...and despite Molyneux's failings in his latter years, the brilliance and creativity of his early games is undeniable.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 06:57:06 PM »

So I was feeling mouthy this morning. biggrin Congratulations to him for the award, and it must feel pretty good to know everyone has to address you as Sir henceforth. smile

*this* morning??? Right, and Mr. Skunk says "Ooo, I seem to be a bit stinky this morning; how unusual."

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 08:46:47 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
everyone has to address you as Sir henceforth. smile

Odd name, I like the sound of Sir Coop though.

...and despite Molyneux's failings in his latter years, the brilliance and creativity of his early games is undeniable.

I haven't played Fable, but I'd still Black & White in the brilliant category.  The interface, the teaching and raising of your pet, the game engine, the way things changed based on your and your pet's actions - phenomenal.  The choice to go with "versus" style gameplay instead of a giant sandbox mode was a poor one, but there was more innovation, promise and polish in Black & White's first level than most games have in their entirity.

Molyneux consistantly pushes the envelope of what gaming is, what gaming can be, and what gaming should be.  And for those reasons, every title he's involved with is, at the very least, worth looking into.  Even if the envelope occassionaly pushes back with a resounding "shoulda pushed a little harder."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 09:02:53 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

*this* morning??? Right, and Mr. Skunk says "Ooo, I seem to be a bit stinky this morning; how unusual."

I concur.  May I present three other examples found a single-click off CG's front page:

Exhibit A: "Wait... who spilled salt over my floor?" - 12/28/04

Exhibit B: "Technic Beat is all about the flash and the bang, but if that’s all I was looking for, then I’d buy a bag of fireworks and shoot them off my balcony." - 12/24/04

Exhibit C: "That being said, I still have faith in the future so perhaps the next game will be better. But I have no idea how it could be worse." - 12/24/04

Tongue

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 10:50:12 PM »

And how am I wrong for pointing at a lot of suck and laughing? biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 03:11:36 PM »

And how am I wrong for pointing at a lot of suck and laughing? biggrin

Allow me to point out "teh suck" in your news posting slywink (from firing squad/gamers.com)

Peter Molyneux, OBE  
Tuesday - January 4, 2005 05:18:00  
According to GI.biz, British game designer Peter Molyneux has been named Officer of the British Empire.

He isn't the first British game developer to be granted an OBE, however - Argonaut founder and keen entrepreneur Jez San is a previous recipient of the honour, which was instituted by King George V in 1917.
The New Year Honours are granted by the Queen on advice from the Prime Minister, who receives nominations from ministers or from members of the public, and are awarded for exceptional merit or service.

It's a common misconception, particularly outside the UK, that the OBE, which stands for Officer of the British Empire, allows the recipient to be referred to as "Sir" - in fact, this distinction refers to the award of Knights Bachelor.

Check out the GamesIndustry.biz article. Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: