http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 06:09:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WW] Lost - Very Early Pre-Planning  (Read 372 times)
Qantaga
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:22:13 AM »

I've been thinking about a new Werewolf game.   

This is still a good ways out. We are just starting ravenvii's GT VI game and I know CeeKay is mulling over his own WW game, so I'm looking at maybe GT game VIII or IX in the late October/early November time frame.

This is very early in the planning stages.

I want to eventually start up a Werewolf game with a Lost feel to it (no big surprise after setting my last game on an island). smile

Now, I have no desire whatsoever to try to emulate Grundbegriff's amazingly complex Lost game over at Octopus Overlords. I can't imagine how badly I would mangle things like island movement, much less things like Past/Present, blowing up planes, and unstopping magical power sources.

However, looking at Grund's OO game and seeing the start of ravenvii's 3-faction game, I'd like to try something that draws from both of those games.

Here is what I'm thinking:

I'm imagining an 18 player game (of course, the numbers can always adjust).

3 Factions and 3 "Independents" - (5) Oceanic 815 Survivors, (5) Widmore Scientists, (5) Others, (1) Smoke Monster/MiB, (1) Desmond, (1) Eko.

Every player would get a role (Jack, Widmore, Ben, Kate, Sawyer, Faraday, etc.)

There would be (1) Protector for each of the three groups (815, Scientists, Others).

At the start of the game, each player would only know their own role. Each night every player (except Smokey and Desmond) will be able to scan/examine/converse with one other player of their choice. The results of the scan will be only "kindred spirit"/"non-kindred spirit." (Except in Eko's case, explained below).

For example, an 815 survivor scans another 815 survivor, they will be told so. If they scan a Scientist, Other, Smokey, Desmond, or Eko, they will be only told  "non-kindred spirit" or "not on your team."

*Each night, Smokey gets a kill.

Smokey cannot kill Desmond or anyone protected that night by a Protector.

Eko can use his staff each night. He is the only player who can detect Smokey (all other players are just told "non-kindred spirit"). If Eko reveals Smokey in the thread, he will immediately die at Smokey's hands, but he will have pointed the other players to Smokey's existence. (Obviously, he will only die if he names the true Smokey).

The three Protectors can all protect one target (they can self targer, but cannot protect the same target two nights in a row). This may lead to double/triple protection, but still a maximum of three players can be protected per night. Of course, the trick is that a Protector could be protecting a member of another team, especially early in the game when there is very little information from scans. Therefore, a Protector could even choose not to protect anyone on a given night. Of course, a Protector can be lynched. The interesting part might be if a Protector in danger of being lynched reveals himself, will the votes back off, since there are two other teams that eventually need him dead, but might want the chance of his protection a little longer?

*Each day, the islanders vote to lynch someone.

The goal is that you're trying to find your companions and survive by wiping out all the other factions and the "Independents".

Desmond can participate in all lynch votes and Desmond can be lynched. While he cannot be killed by Smokey, it is still in his best interests to remain concealed because the other three teams will be trying to eliminate him by lynch to satisfy their victory conditions. Plus, if Smokey knows who he is, Smokey would not try to kill him anymore. (Smokey would not know for certain if he had tried to kill Desmond or if he had been blocked by one of the Protectors).

As to the gameplay, there will be NO PMs allowed. You may learn the identity of your teammates, but you still may not PM them. You must decide what (when/if) you want to say in the game thread to find your teammates and the risk/reward of information in an open "camp". (You may know them, but do they know you? How much do you want to reveal to find them?). I'm afraid an early lucky scan or two by one team could tilt the power too far if PMs were allowed, so I think it might be fun to keep all communication (subtle and overt) in the game thread.

Victory conditions:

- One of the teams (815, Widmore, Others) wins by being the last team standing. Everyone else, Smokey, Desmond, Eko included, must be lynched (or killed off by Smokey, of course).

- Smokey could actually win the game, but he would have to survive all the way until he is able to eliminate all but one other player. I know this is very unlikely, but Smokey's role is really just to wreak as much havoc as possible before he is lynched.

- Desmond could also win the game, but he would have to survive Smokey's lynching and eliminate all but one other player. Also unlikely, but Desmond's role is more to direct island events with as much intuition as he can muster.

- Eko could win the game, but he would have to survive until all but one other player is left. This would mean that Smokey was lynched without the need of Eko's special knowledge. Eko's role is more of that of island shaman with the power to reveal Smokey, with the understanding that all on the island would immortalize him for his sacrifice.

In other words, Smokey, Desmond, and Eko are granted special powers to influence events without formally being on one of the three teams. These "Independents" are not really designed to be on a "winning" team but, hopefully, their special abilities would make them worthwhile to play even without the realistic chance of a "win."

There is a possibility of granting some type of conversion ability to Smoky, Jack, Widmore, Ben, and Desmond, but I'll probably stay away from conversions the first time I run it.

This is obviously just a rambling set of ideas and I'm not even ready to try to put the rule framework in place yet. This is still very convuluted and needs a massive amount of tweaking. It is just something that is percolating in the back of my mind and I wanted to float it out to see if I'm on the right track. I'm sure there are probably things here that would never work in a game environment, so any advice would be great. If you have any suggestions or see anything that is overpowered or just doesn't fit a game like this, I would welcome your feedback.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:33:33 AM »

I missed this when you posted it Qan  but it sounds interesting.  Keep us posted as you firm things up.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on September 21, 2010, 02:22:13 AM

This is still a good ways out. We are just starting ravenvii's GT VI game and I know CeeKay is mulling over his own WW game, so I'm looking at maybe GT game VIII or IX in the late October/early November time frame.

the middle to end of October is going to be busy for me and it wouldn't be fair to you guys if I didn't have the proper time to devote to the game, so either I will have wait unless raven's game happens to stretch out until November or have anything resolved during the workday (like lynches or resolution of the night actions) wait for a proper write up after 8pm EST, which would slow down gameplay somewhat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »

Man, I feel bad for whoever plays as Michael.  His keyboard's going to wear out the keys "W," "A," "L," "T," and "!" by the third day.

-Autistic Angel
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 26, 2010, 08:37:42 PM

Man, I feel bad for whoever plays as Michael.  His keyboard's going to wear out the keys "W," "A," "L," "T," and "!" by the third day.

-Autistic Angel

icon_lol

I think I'm going to incorporate that into the game. If you are Michael, every post must begin and end with     "W," "A," "L," "T," and "!"

slywink

~Switchfoot
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:47:50 PM »

I'm still sorting things through.

Any feedback?

I'm not looking for any official sign-ups yet, but I am curious if this is something that GTers would want to play, or if I should stick to the more tried-and-true Werewolf formula.

Also, do Desmond and Eko seem to be interesting characters to play, knowing right up front that their odds of winning are very slim? Would the extra flair/abilities be worth it, or would it be more interesting to be on a team with a chance of winning, over a "special" that's mainly there to add wrinkles to the gameplay?

~Switchfoot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: