http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:38:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Windows Phone] Mango  (Read 798 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »

Anyone with an iPhone or Android device want to check out Windows Phone OS?

Go to this URL http://aka.ms/wpdemo from your phone.

I like it, though I think I'm too heavily invested into the iOS ecosystem to seriously consider a change especially now that I'm going to be purchasing an iMac and iPad by January.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:50:34 AM »

If you're going iPad, then your investment can move.

Come to the dark side. biggrin

I LOVE MY MANGO.

biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »

Purge - what do you integrate the phone with, in terms of email/calendar desktop software?  Do you use Outlook at home or work?

Since I've had an android phone, I've done all my integration with Gmail and love the Mango interface but fear that it won't adapt well, since I don't use Outlook in any form. I'm sick of the Android bugs and crashes, though and am ready for something more stable.

Which phone do you have?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »

I have a Samsung Focus.

I use outlook at work, but I don't use it for work.

I have a live account and both it and my gmail account are linked together. They do have some integration, but it's all through their online cloud structure.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:25:19 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/why-i-dont-want-an-iphone-any-more-50006257/?tag=mncol;txt

I use 3 different emails on mine

Gmail for personal

Outlook exchange for work

And hotmail, which jsut sits there, cause I needed it to make a xbox live account for skydrive..

I do not integrate them in one spot, I keep them separate. 

I think windows phone 7 has the best email interface, and works better with outlook then any other phone.

I love the OS, slick, smooth, elegant...   I like the facebook integration. 

I love the predictive word texting.. almost as good as the texting app I used on android. 
(I cant remember the name now, but it was awesome)

My biggest gripe?   The calender program sucks balls...  Yes, it does good on notifications, and syncing with outlook and gmail calender

But I cannot see shit when its in the monthly view, it is way too small. 

IOS has the best calender, made it easy to see days I am off work, days I have the kids, etc.

(I have a 3/2/2 schedule with kids during the summer, so getting it all straight on the calender is a must.)

So, hopefully they fix the fookin calender...  If they do, I am all set.

I have a good handle on blackberries, androids, IOS and windows phone 7.   I think a post around here by bullwinkle got me to get a windows phone 7, and I am sure glad I did.

Its sweet.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »

Plus, at this time it doesn't seem like CarrierIQ is tracking WP7 smartphones.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:22 AM »

Has Microsoft ever reversed their decision on "violent" games on Windows Phone?

I remember shortly before release, they said they would not allow any game that had enemy characters pointing a gun or any kind of weapon at you on the screen, pretty much eliminating the possibility of an FPS on windows phone. It looks like they still aren't allowing "mature" games either.
As bad as Apple is on censorship, they still allow "violent" games in the market place with ratings. Call of Duty Zombies is a great online bloody game when you're bored on iphone/ipod touch.

That, and their 5 limit download. (Change phones, factory reset, just doesn't seem fair to limit you to 5 downloads when Android does unlimited.)

If Microsoft can do something about those two issues, I'd definitely consider picking a windows phone up. One of the advantages of being on T-Mobile now is it only takes 7 seconds to swap out the sim card to a different phone and can still use both my Android and Windows Phone.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:35:37 AM by corruptrelic » Logged

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »

Assassins creed made it over to wp7. dunno about any fps but there are shooting games. Not visceral though. RageHD isn't on it.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 03:25:05 AM »

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-unveils-windows-phone-78-update-legacy-hardware

7.8 for existing phones (basically, W8 metro interface that a single core CPU can still handle).

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 04:32:28 AM »

Quote from: Purge on June 21, 2012, 03:25:05 AM

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-unveils-windows-phone-78-update-legacy-hardware

7.8 for existing phones (basically, W8 metro interface that a single core CPU can still handle).

Well, that's a better report than the one I just read that only said WP7 users wouldn't be getting a WP8 OS.

My WP7 and AT&T contract are up this fall.  I've got a shit ton of Universal and even iPhone apps and games through my iPad.  Certainly more than I have for WP7 and definitely more interesting.  WP8 is going to have to really blow things out of the water to keep me from going to an iPhone.

IMO, they've lost the sexy by losing "the gutter" (terrible name).  It now looks cluttered and uninteresting.  And with all those Live Tiles, it's going to be a lot of visual noise.  Meh.  But then I've been feeling that way about what I've seen of Windows 8 (not to mention the Metro-ized 360 dashboard).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »

If looks could kill, Microsoft...

Not for anything that they announced yesterday. I think the common kernel is fantastic and a much-needed step forward for the establishment of an ecosystem where there is a large knowledge and skill overlap between platforms.

Rather, for the fact that they rushed out WP7 without it, stranding the users of that OS in a single generation. What goodwill they've built up through the small WP7 userbase is going to rapidly erode once that userbase realises that few developers are going to bother making WP7 versions of their apps once the WP8 beta is in their hands. They've basically end-of-lifed their flagship phone the same year it came out. I can't decide if it's a blessing that so few people adopted the platform to be screwed by the move, or a curse that the people most likely to have evangelised about WP are going to be left with a bitter taste...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »

By the time WP8, WP7 will have been out for 2 years, so it's definitely not the year it was released.

However, it does explain why they've been dropping even the small amount of momentum WP7 was building.

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 21, 2012, 02:46:21 PM

By the time WP8, WP7 will have been out for 2 years, so it's definitely not the year it was released.

However, it does explain why they've been dropping even the small amount of momentum WP7 was building.
I was referring to the Lumia 900, not the OS itself. As another commenter over at Ars said, it would be like Apple saying "iOS6 won't be supported on the iPad 3, and iOS6 apps won't work on prior versions." Suddenly the Marketplace is essentially frozen for WP7 users (give or take a couple of months).
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »

I disagree with the iOS6 comparison - I think the big mistake was pushing all mfgrs to single-core only - a mistake they made several years ago to keep Nokia happy.

I think the MS Marketplace, if done right, could be *very* compelling.

Buy Angry Birds on the Marketplace, and be able to use that license on Phone, PC, Tablet, 360 (not simultaneously). Diversity will win over the "here's 10,000 flashlight apps". There are some compelling ipad/iphone apps out there, and there is no reason why they wouldn't be available over on MS's marketplace. There is not a single thing the iPhone hardware *does* that no other hardware, from any other manufacturer, can't do.

The iTunes store is big. If MS can draw developers, and by draw, I mean actually streamline the registration and licensing, and provide bigger incentives, and help keep app costs down, then they can certainly contend.

MS was laughed at for the XBOX effort. The only reason this wouldn't happen with Metro is if they don't actually put in the "EFFORT" part.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 21, 2012, 04:21:55 PM

I disagree with the iOS6 comparison - I think the big mistake was pushing all mfgrs to single-core only - a mistake they made several years ago to keep Nokia happy.

I think the MS Marketplace, if done right, could be *very* compelling.

Buy Angry Birds on the Marketplace, and be able to use that license on Phone, PC, Tablet, 360 (not simultaneously). Diversity will win over the "here's 10,000 flashlight apps". There are some compelling ipad/iphone apps out there, and there is no reason why they wouldn't be available over on MS's marketplace. There is not a single thing the iPhone hardware *does* that no other hardware, from any other manufacturer, can't do.

The iTunes store is big. If MS can draw developers, and by draw, I mean actually streamline the registration and licensing, and provide bigger incentives, and help keep app costs down, then they can certainly contend.

MS was laughed at for the XBOX effort. The only reason this wouldn't happen with Metro is if they don't actually put in the "EFFORT" part.

But everything you're saying should have already happened.  They talk about the ease of getting Fairway Solitaire working on WP8, but by all accounts that was the case with WP7, too.  MS released a kit that made converting a quick and relatively painless process.  But no one took advantage of it because there's no money to be made releasing an app on a Microsoft phone.

I don't know where you're gettin 10,000 flashlight apps.  If anything, the MS Marketplace is lousy with useless, quick-to-release crap apps like that.  iOS has such a headstart in this area (and Android is making decent headway as well) that Microsoft should have been making a massive push for the last two years to be where they should for WP8 through WP7.

Your XBOX comment doesn't fit.  WP7 is their Xbox.  WP8 should be their 360.  However, the 360 built on the momentum gained by the original console (and, importantly, Live).  If the original Xbox had been treated like the WP7, I'm not sure we'd be talking about the 360 today.

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 21, 2012, 04:35:23 PM

If anything, the MS Marketplace is lousy with useless, quick-to-release crap apps like that.

Ain't that the truth. Remember, this is the app store that had to limit a developer's app submissions to 20 per day, down from 100.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

The death march continues.

[Nokia] has clearly failed to crack America, selling a paltry 600,000 handsets in the States [in Q2]. The cash pile has also continued to dwindle, with the piggybank currently standing at 4.1 billion ($5.1 billion), down from $6.3 billion in Q1, despite getting a further $250 million in kickbacks from Microsoft.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »

That sucks, was hoping to try out a nokia with windows phone 8.  But hell, I cannot say they beat out those sweet looking samsung / HTC phones anyways.  But I was definatley wanting to check out the nokia too.

Here is to hoping they turn it around.   I have been drifting around IOS and android for years now and windows phone 7 has me wanting to plant my flag in the windows 8 world, instead f continually flip flopping back and forth.  (I was planning to grab a windows phone 8 this fall to update my trophy, and grab the first good looking $200 windows tablet as well.)

If they go under or something I guess I will go back to flopping between IOS and android.  I am just bored with them I guess.  Windows gives me something new to play with, runs smooth as silk and has +style points imo.

I do not see how Microsoft can afford not to compete in the mobile world, so I do not see how it can let it fail, so not sweating it too much.   

Hell, I am even liking the navigation on my windows phone, and I used to be obsessed with google nav.     
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »

When I hear Mango I think:

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »

I knew it was only a matter of time.

@#$(*&% *Fist Shaking*

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: