http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:18:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (updated) my doggie is out of surgery  (Read 888 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

My dog had a little lump on her side a while back that the vet told us to just keep an eye on. Not sure how long it has been, maybe a year and a half to two years, but now it has grown to about the size of an egg. Vet took a sample of it and couldn't conclusively say what it was so, said to take it out.

So we took her in today and she's currently getting it removed, probably along with a couple of other little growths that older dogs get (she just turned 10). Really, is there anything worse (and yes, I know there are worse things, just allow me to use some hyperbole for a moment) than having to withhold breakfast and water from your dog when she can't understand why, and then dropping her off at the vet? Wife said she was shaking like a leaf and just parked herself on top of her while the vet techs tried to check her in.

This is supposed to be fairly routine stuff, but I'm going to hate seeing her achy for a while, probably in an e-collar. At least she didn't get worked up about it for days beforehand like a human would have. The vets said that when we pick her up later we will have a "frankendoggie" frown
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:53:35 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »

hope it all works out ok, can definitely be a stressful time
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:23:06 PM »

I hope everything works out ok. Just make sure you have an extra special treat waiting for her when she gets home.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »

Sending good vibes your way.  Hope all is well with the pup!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »

Good luck!
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »

Frankendoggie.

I've been through the exact same thing Teggy. A small lump, the vet said to keep an eye on it. She sampled it several times over the next year or two, and finally she said it needed to come off. By that time it had grown fairly large. She got several more lumps over the course of her life after that, and I had them all removed right away before they could turn into something worse. It did indeed become very routine after a while.

I'm not a vet, and this is the internet, and you should certainly follow the advice of your vet first and foremost. But my own experience was to check my girl often for lumps, and take her in as soon as I found one, and let the vet look at it. Aspirate I think was what she called it (taking a small cell sample with a needle).

Anyways, I've no doubt your dog and you will both pull through just fine smile.

-Cota
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »

hope it all goes well!  The things is, this is probably going to be more traumatic for you than it will be for frankenpup,  Ive been there myself.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »

Yikes - I don't think what she is having removed will require that amount of cutting. I also hope she isn't leaking blood like that - we had enough of that problem recently when she had a particularly bad stomach issue.

My sister in law is the administrator for a large vet specialty hospital (not nearby tho), and paranoid pet owners as we are, we are always right on the phone with her when we see something funny. So we get her looked at a alot, this is just the first time the vet finally said we should deal with it surgically.

Still waiting for the call to just let us know everything went ok.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »

Wow, that's a big cut.....

I wonder why they didn't just shave the whole dog? Just looks like a bad haircut...
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »

I hope everything goes well Teggy.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »

Safe at home, but not exactly happy. I will feel a lot better when she is feeling more comfortable.

Spoilered pic for the squeamish, although I think it is not as bad as the one above.
Spoiler for Hiden:

Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »

Hurray! Did they bandage her up after that photo? I remember going through massive amounts of bandages. I had to go in everyday for a new wrap, and I think I changed the actual bandage under the wrap twice a day. In any event, it's kind of gruesome huh? You'll probably hear in a couple of days how the margins of the tumor look?

-Cota
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »

No conehead required to prevent chewing on the stitching/bandages?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:11:35 AM »

Glad your dog is ok!
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »

good for you and the dog.  She will be feeling better in no time
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 12:27:41 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on April 15, 2010, 12:14:08 AM

She will be feeling better in no time

Aye...dogs are are far more resilient than we give them credit for. I've seen some dogs with horrific injuries and be ready to romp around after just a few days. I think the toughest part for your lady is that it'll just take a while for all her hair to grow back.  icon_smile

Out of curiosity, How many masses did they take off of her?

Anyways, I'm glad she's doing well and back home.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 12:45:02 AM »

Quote from: Cota on April 14, 2010, 11:30:18 PM

Hurray! Did they bandage her up after that photo? I remember going through massive amounts of bandages. I had to go in everyday for a new wrap, and I think I changed the actual bandage under the wrap twice a day. In any event, it's kind of gruesome huh? You'll probably hear in a couple of days how the margins of the tumor look?

No, no bandage. How did they do that? just wrap it around the entire body? Otherwise you have to tape it to the stubble - ouch. Basically we have to keep it clean and prevent her from scratching at it. Yes, they'll tell us what the heck the thing is in a few days.

Quote from: ydejin on April 14, 2010, 11:44:16 PM

No conehead required to prevent chewing on the stitching/bandages?

They are much more concerned about her scratching at it based on where it is on her back, so the e-collar wouldn't have helped much. We are probably going to have to put a t-shirt on her, although I'm not entirely sure how that will really prevent her from scratching it. They also recommended putting a sock on her. Again, not sure how a regular sock will prevent nails from getting at the scar. We'll have to keep an eye on it.

Quote from: Booner on April 15, 2010, 12:27:41 AM

Out of curiosity, How many masses did they take off of her?

The big one was the egg-sized mass on her back. They also chopped off a little growth on her nose and a little one on her paw. There were two fatty masses they left.

Thank goodness, she has finally managed to lie down and relax. The other good thing that happened was that as soon as she came home she took 3 poops smile. At least we didn't have to worry about that being difficult to do.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:46:39 AM by Teggy » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »

Good luck with everything Teggy, that's rough.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 02:23:51 AM »

Good luck with her. She looks to be doing fine. Its amazing how a dog can go through a surgery and be like nothing much has happened where if a human had got the same one they'd be all "oh it hurts og lordy" and such and be in bed smile

Our little old chi that passed away a few years ago named Timmy had some places on him. None that large but still they were lumps. One on his leg the doc just gave him some local shots around it and cut it out right there in the exam room while my wife held the little guy. All his always came back negative though. just old dog stuff.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 02:50:07 AM »

wow, sounds almost like you might need some booties for her, like those rubber ones that protect a dogs paws.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 03:08:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 15, 2010, 02:50:07 AM

wow, sounds almost like you might need some booties for her, like those rubber ones that protect a dogs paws.

Actually, you know that does remind me that we have a set muttluks for her. Wow did she not like those when we tried putting them on. But we might want to try sticking one on her back paw.  We've got a t-shirt on her now and she seems to be ok with it for the moment. I'm a little worried she's going to get a bit warm, but I guess she's just going to have to deal with it.

And thanks for all the kind words. There's a lot of people out there who don't get the whole idea of doing this for a dog. Because of this I am probably going to have to wait to buy that bike I was hoping to get this summer, but I don't begrudge her one bit.

DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 03:24:15 AM »

I am glad your dog is doing well.  Only about <10% of surgeries need an e-collar.  Most dogs will not bother their incisions to any significant degree.  Most subcutaneous growths are lipomas, which are benign fatty tumors.  These are very common on middle-age to older dogs.  They can get quite large sometimes (volley ball size).  Elliptical incisions are made around the growth in order to have adequate closure of the area.  Sometimes people are a little surprised how long the incision can be.

DrJones
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:33 AM »

big dogs are tough as nails. don't worry. My Boxer? Ran over. RUNS ON ONE LEG AND BACK FLIPS WHEN HE SHITS. Still smiles when I come home. I RAN HIM OVER.

No but seriously, glad you're doggy is going well and I hope his recovery is swift and without drama.

btw I love my dogs a lot and cry just thinking about them getting ran over so don't flame me!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »

Just a little follow up on this, we got the results back and the lump was malignant. While the vet couldn't go as deep as recommended (because she'd hit organs) when removing it, x-rays were clean so they think they got it all. At this point there are some cancer treatment options, but based on the case they recommend just playing wait and see if anything comes back.

Poor pup had (we think) a bad reaction to her pain meds and had an awful gastrointestinal issues friday into saturday, but by saturday evening she was basically back to normal. We are just waiting for her to take a normal poop so we can get her back on regular food smile She really wants to get on the bed so I'm looking forward to getting her stitches out next week, but otherwise she is acting like herself, and asking for a lot of belly rubs.

She's wearing a t-shirt, so she looks funny, but isn't even really scratching her stitches or anything. Such a good pup, I feel bad that we waited so long to have this dealt with (although to be fair, that is basically what the vet told us to do).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »

great news on hearing that your dog is okay,nasty scars,but they will soon disappear when the fur grows back(had similar thing with my mums cat...which was thrown through a patio window before my mum adopted it-still with stitches all over its body-from the Animal Shelter...looks like a normal cat now)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »

Teggy, congrats on her - and your - recovery and I hope you have many more years together!  She sounds like a trouper... not so much you though.  I mean that kindly, since I know I'd be a wreck under the same circumstances.  I could be having brain surgery tomorrow (I don't think I am, someone would have told me) but I know I'd be less nervous about myself than about my dog if she needed surgery.  I'm exaggerating some, but not a lot, lol.

I'd write more, but I'm going to go check that small lump on my dog's leg to be sure it's still the same size - you know, as it was yesterday...  icon_eek

Good Luck!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:37 PM »

Why does this topic still have a sad-face smiley next to it? It's happy recovery time!!!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 21, 2010, 05:13:09 PM

Teggy, congrats on her - and your - recovery and I hope you have many more years together!  She sounds like a trouper... not so much you though.

icon_lol No, you got it right on. This is my first "real" pet. I didn't have dogs or cats growing up. I got to live with a cat for 2 years about 10 years ago, but it was my roommate's and she moved out. That poor cat had to be put to sleep not too long after that, and I still have pictures of it on my refrigerator. And I have moved since then! I get very attached. This dog I have lived with for 6 years now. My wife has had Goldens her entire life and is used to the ups and downs of it. Me, I see my dog get bloody (in the American, not the British sense) runs and I am assuming the worst and am a total wreck.

All the vets always say that Echo is very brave and stoic. It's a good thing at times, but also not great because she will not always let on that she is in pain. Of course, if we are at home and you crumple a paper bag she has to run into another room, so it's a very conditional bravery smile

It also helps that she basically charms all of the people at the vet. Whenever we go in there they are cooing all over her and when we picked her up from the animal hospital one time they had actually written "great dog!" on our instruction papers.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »

OK, I fixed the smiley. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: