http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:29:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (TV/Film)Various Stephen King projects in the pipeline  (Read 672 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:51:31 PM »

well,i have no word on whether The Dark Tower has resumed planning or what the hell is going on with that(last i heard CK posted that it was dead-Ron Howard still seems confident it will happen and hopefully with Javier Bardem),however there are a few other Stephen King books in the pipeline for TV/Film

The Stand

David Yates,the director of the last 4 Harry Potter films has gone on record to say that this will be his next project,according to IMDb set for release next year...yeah,we'll see,i am not even sure there is a cast yet,and there is a rumour that it could be 3 movies

FWIW-i didn't mind the minis series,and have it on DVD

next up is 11/22/63,which is yet to be released novel from Stephen King,Jonathan Demme,the director of Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia has signed up for this,where a School Teacher travels back in time determined to stop JFK being assassinated

and finally Steven Spielberg(probably producing) is on board for a TV project based on Under The Dome IMDb this time has 2011,again i can't see that happening this year either

and here is an idea Steve(Spielberg),you bought the rights for The Talisman pretty much as soon as the book was released back in about 1984,and it has been put down for pretty much every year this century to be released...either do it or don't,don't leave it hanging!! icon_cry

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »

Under the Dome is going to be on Showtime, but since I titled the book 'Stupid People Under the Dome' I won't lose much sleep over not subscribing to see it.  not sure why they feel the need to do The Stand again-  the TV miniseries was decent enough.  11'22'63 sounds pretty interesting though, although I'm guessing the twist at the end is that the teacher ends up being the shooter  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »

And Ron Howard and Brian Grazer are still trying to set 'The Dark Tower' movies elsewhere.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:03:35 PM »

yeah, Under the Dome was pretty underwhelming. It was like Steve watched The Simpsons movies and said "hey, I wonder what what really happen?"

I'd like to see another version of The Stand, that would be cool.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »

I liked miniseries of The Stand that was done years ago, but I wouldnt mind seeing it get a major production, big budget 3 movie treatment.  Of course since The Stand has already been done Id even be happier if they did a big budget verison of Swan Song by Mc Cammon.  

I havent read the other 2 though 11'22'63 is on my list.  Under the Dome has slipped past me as a few people I know found it to be pretty weak.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 06:20:10 PM »

Couldn't even finish Under the Dome. Too many unbelievable and dumb characters.

I wish they would give Cell a shot at a film or mini-series. First half of the book was fantastic. Just need to rejigger the second half.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »

Of course since The Stand has already been done Id even be happier if they did a big budget verison of Swan Song by Mc Cammon.  

Said like a true King's Knight.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »

I always wanted to see a live action Simpsons movie. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 12, 2011, 06:20:10 PM

+1

After the opening promise, I started to hate that book.  I kept reading hoping it would get better, but it just got worse and worse.  Dumped it about 2/3rds of the way through.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 12, 2011, 08:59:56 PM

Quote from: Crawley on September 12, 2011, 06:20:10 PM

+1

After the opening promise, I started to hate that book.  I kept reading hoping it would get better, but it just got worse and worse.  Dumped it about 2/3rds of the way through.

you would have probably enjoyed the end:

Spoiler for end of book:
most of them get killed in a fiery inferno.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »

The Stand now has a director

Stepping into the director's role now? It looks as if long-time Stephen King fan Josh Boone, director of The Fault On Our Stars, is set to take The Stand on. Furthermore, plans to split the story over several films appear to have been shelved, with the current idea to be a single movie, albeit one that will have an R rating if required.

I honestly think it being a single film will not help putting the mammoth book to the big screen,but i am glad that the project is moving ahead

And i'll stick this in here as well from a couple of weeks ago

Update on Stephen Kings IT

Chatting to Collider, producer Dan Lin revealed that "Cary Fukunaga is writing and directing Stephen Kingís It for me, and Iím really excited for that. So Iím hoping thatíll be his next movie after the indie heís shooting in Africa. I love what he did with True Detective. I think itís a great sample for Stephen Kingís It.  So Iím really excited about that".

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »

Under The Dome jumped the shark with its finale. Made viewers feel worthless for having spent the time watching it. That's not how you do it. If a show is primed for a second season, you don't want to piss off the audience by essentially giving them the middle finger. That's how it felt.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on February 27, 2014, 09:19:42 PM

Under The Dome jumped the shark with its finale. Made viewers feel worthless for having spent the time watching it. That's not how you do it. If a show is primed for a second season, you don't want to piss off the audience by essentially giving them the middle finger. That's how it felt.

given how the book ended, I'd think King himself wrote the episode. 

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 05:43:29 AM »

Would it be typically his style to do so? I'm not too familiar with his writing, to be honest.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:11 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on March 04, 2014, 05:43:29 AM

Would it be typically his style to do so? I'm not too familiar with his writing, to be honest.
tbh, I haven't watched the show, but King has a history of setting up great stories and then closing them out with groan-worthy endings.  Under the Dome is one of his worst, imho, but from what I remember, the show isn't using the same premise. 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 02:02:54 PM »

Yeah, with King often the journey is far better than the destination, and I say that as a fan.  icon_biggrin
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 07:39:09 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 04, 2014, 06:08:11 AM

Quote from: Rumpy on March 04, 2014, 05:43:29 AM

tbh, I haven't watched the show, but King has a history of setting up great stories and then closing them out with groan-worthy endings.  Under the Dome is one of his worst, imho, but from what I remember, the show isn't using the same premise. 

Yeah, from what I hear it's quite a departure, so much so that they're going on for multiple seasons rather than simply wrapping it up. Wrapping it up would have made more sense, but no, we got this stupid ending that made viewers feel like it was a complete waste of time. Felt like "You stuck with it throughout? Well, F-U."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »

I don't really understand the dislike for the Under The Dome (TV series) finale.  We got some answers (where the dome came from and its purpose), but it left enough mystery to make me look forward to next season.  Were people under the impression that the series would be ending with the finale?

As for the book, I agree that King has a problem with endings, but I thought Under The Dome's was one of his best. The middle of the book dragged, but I loved the beginning and ending.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »

King doesn't always fizzle his endings though. I've not read a whole lot of him yet, having only finished the Dark Tower series and The Shining. While the former has the typical unsatisfying ending people tend to warn about, The Shining's ending is actually very good. In my opinion, better than the movie as well (and I feel that goes for the rest of the book too, though I know this isn't a very popular opinion).
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 04, 2014, 09:57:44 PM

I don't really understand the dislike for the Under The Dome (TV series) finale.  We got some answers (where the dome came from and its purpose), but it left enough mystery to make me look forward to next season.  Were people under the impression that the series would be ending with the finale?

As for the book, I agree that King has a problem with endings, but I thought Under The Dome's was one of his best. The middle of the book dragged, but I loved the beginning and ending.
Guess I'm of a different opinion as I thought the beginning and middle were great, but once he revealed the cause of the dome, the whole thing fell apart.  nevermind the ending act itself. 

Spoiler for book specific spoilers:
the propane/c4 bomb, the descriptions following afterwards detailing the horrible ways people died and the leather face alien child.  I felt the writing during the destruction was gratuitous and unnecessarily detailed and the entire set up for it was over the top.  Then you have the deus ex machina of an alien presence removing the dome, simply because someone asked. 
I felt that the resolution was a cheap way to end the story and was hoping for a study on the breakdown of society with no controls and dwindling supplies.  instead, we got an ending that even Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich would back away from. 

It's been years, but the ending to the Cell and The Stand also get noted for being particularly unsatisfying and arguably bad in contrast to the strength of the story.  I'm reading the Dark Tower series and have already resigned myself to one such ending based on how often was mentioned.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 04, 2014, 10:18:48 PM

Quote from: EddieA on March 04, 2014, 09:57:44 PM

Guess I'm of a different opinion as I thought the beginning and middle were great, but once he revealed the cause of the dome, the whole thing fell apart.  nevermind the ending act itself. 

Spoiler for book specific spoilers:
the propane/c4 bomb, the descriptions following afterwards detailing the horrible ways people died and the leather face alien child.  I felt the writing during the destruction was gratuitous and unnecessarily detailed and the entire set up for it was over the top.  Then you have the deus ex machina of an alien presence removing the dome, simply because someone asked. 
I felt that the resolution was a cheap way to end the story and was hoping for a study on the breakdown of society with no controls and dwindling supplies.  instead, we got an ending that even Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich would back away from. 

I was also hoping that the book would be more the breakdown of society, but once I realized that wasn't the book's focus, I was able to enjoy it for what it was about.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The destruction was certainly on an epic scale, but I didn't find it gratuitous or unnecessary.  I also think you're oversimplifying the ending.  The dome was put in a place by the whim of a child at play, so it made sense that it would be removed in the same casual manner.  It also wasn't just because someone asked; it was because Julia was able to make an emotional connection with the alien.  The aliens ignored Julia's pleas to remove the dome until she was able to forge a connection through the story about her childhood.  This bit did seem to come somewhat out of nowhere, but it was still more than just a simple request for them to remove the dome.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 04:58:38 AM »

Quote from: TiLT
In my opinion, better than the movie as well (and I feel that goes for the rest of the book too, though I know this isn't a very popular opinion).

King himself hates Kubrick's film, and makes no secret of it. I find it really odd, considering the vast numbers of shitty films made from his work, that he chose arguably the most successful adaptation to hate. I assume it's because it's one of the few adaptations that doesn't have King's creative control all over it. To me, this is a good thing. I like his novels but his forays into film and television leave MUCH to be desired.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 05:03:31 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 04, 2014, 10:00:48 PM

King doesn't always fizzle his endings though. I've not read a whole lot of him yet, having only finished the Dark Tower series and The Shining. While the former has the typical unsatisfying ending people tend to warn about, The Shining's ending is actually very good. In my opinion, better than the movie as well (and I feel that goes for the rest of the book too, though I know this isn't a very popular opinion).

While this is just my opinion, I thought the Dark Towers ending was good.  It actually ended pretty much how I had expected. I can see why people might find it unsatisfying but I felt it was the right ending.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: