http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (TV-ABC) Marvel's Agent Carter  (Read 448 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »

Agent Carter Ordered to Series (w/ Hayley Atwell)
http://collider.com/agents-of-shield-season-2-renewed-agent-carter/
Marvel’s Agent Carter will star Hayley Atwell as the titular Marvel character, who was initially seen onscreen as Steve Rogers’ love interest in the first Captain America film.  In the subsequent Marvel One-Shot (ie. short film) Agent Carter, it is revealed that after Rogers’ disappearance, Carter became one of the founding members of S.H.I.E.L.D. alongside Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper).

Screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely penned the script for the Agent Carter pilot, and we previously spoke to the duo at length about their plans for the potential series.  They revealed that the show would start in 1946 and find Carter in a world where “people are disrespecting her and she’s proving herself and going on missions and things like that.”  Additionally, their hope is that Dominic Cooper’s Howard Stark would be a recurring character on the series.

Markus and McFeely also told us that they envisioned the show as a maximum of 13 episodes per season, maybe less, with one idea being that each season is almost like a limited series that spans the length of one year.

We recently heard that ABC was strongly considering ordering Agent Carter to series without the production of a pilot, since the Marvel One-Shot acted as a sort of proof-of-concept, and now we can see that is certainly the case.  Additionally, rumor has it that the network has been mulling over the idea of using Agent Carter as a midseason show that will fill in the gap while Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. takes its winter hiatus.  
I'm just a jibbering, middle age Hayley Atwell fan but if the show's well written I think I'd much rather spend 45 minutes or so with her than the whole Agents of SHIELD cast.  icon_smile  drool She has expressed a lot of enthusiasm about reprising the character on TV, and said she was game to move to the U.S. for the series (it's a 12-13 episode type series so shouldn't be as grueling as a full 22-26 episode type series).

Of course there's no Steve Rogers, Red Skull or even Tommy Lee Jones' character. I don't think Dominic Cooper (Howard Stark) has been officially asked yet but my recollection was he enjoyed playing the character in the first film.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:49:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »

There was an existing thread talking about this a little while ago. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 09, 2014, 04:08:46 PM

There was an existing thread talking about this a little while ago.  
Nothing came up when I did a search on it at the time, so I blame the forum software.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »

More Hayley Atwell is always a good thing.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:24:12 PM »

Even as an avid comic book fan, I have to say this is yet another show concept I totally don't get.  Is there some burning desire out there to see superhero/comic book based shows with characters that have no powers?  Even Agents of SHIELD was in doubt for a renewal, so I'm not sure where the impetus for a show like this is coming from.  So you like the actress, but surely there is a more interesting vehicle for her in the Marvel universe...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:50:17 AM »

It's no different than random monster of the week shows, be it some CW show, X-Files, Supernatural, etc. It all comes down to the writing.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »

From the studio's standpoint, I imagine it gives them entry into the wildly popular world of superheroes...but without having to dredge up the budget to show off those superheros on a weekly basis.

Reminds me of an old Hollywood joke:

The producer of a low budget film is trying to convince the newly hired director of the quality of the work by telling him the big names they've gotten for the cast.

"First of all," he tells him, "We've got Gibson in the lead."

The director is surprised, "You got Mel Gibson?"

"Well, no," the Producer responds, "we got Marvin Gibson, he's a distant cousin who lives in Queens, but he's very up and coming. And besides, we've also got Redford."

"You got Robert Redford?" the director asks.

"No, we got Jeremy Redford, but he's very talented and has lots of acting experience from years of dinner theater. But," he says enthusiastically, " we've got Streisand and in a singing role."

"Barbara Streisand?" he asks.

"No, Elizabeth Streisand." The Producer responds. "But she's got a great voice. AND we've got Goulet."

"You got Robert Goulet?" the director asks.

"Yeah."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:42:03 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »

It kinda bugged me in the one-shot when they refer to shield as shield even though in Iron Man they hadn't come up with the acronym yet and imply that the agency is fairly new.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »

Why not just roll her into Agent of Shield..   No matter Agent of Shield lost me and I just don't see myself getting into this show

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »

Agent of Shield experienced one of the best turnarounds on a show I've seen.  It's up there with The Sarah Connor Chronicles for complete turnabout when it comes to quality.  

I think you can safely ignore all but the last 4 shows or so and dive back in to get to the good stuff, if you were interested.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:01:34 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 12, 2014, 05:56:37 PM

Agent of Shield experienced one of the best turnarounds on a show I've seen.  It's up there with The Sarah Connor Chronicles for complete turnabout when it comes to quality.  

I think you can safely ignore all but the last 4 shows or so and dive back in to get to the good stuff, if you were interested.

I never saw Sarah Conner Chronicles but I agree that S.H.I.E.L.D. really improved over the last few episodes, glad I stuck with it as I was pretty close to moving along.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »

Here's the show description:

‘Marvel’s Agent Carter,’ starring ‘Captain America’’s Hayley Atwell, follows the story of Peggy Carter. It’s 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers.

Seriously, I don't know who the intended audience for this is?  It sounds like some sort of period piece chick flick lol.  As a chick flick fan, I suppose I'd watch the show if it starred, say, Katherine Heigl.  But as a comic book fan I'm just kind of baffled.  I saw some people saying you'd get to see the early Hydra infiltration into SHIELD, but is that really that interesting?  In all fairness I've never been a fan of prequels so that's probably what's influencing my opinion the most.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 08:37:22 PM »

Not so much the infiltration, but the conflicts as they have to deal with the Operation Paperclip personnel integrating into the new organization.  The conflicts that arise from methods, the culling of people that can't accept the new world order, the Odd Couple teams that have to be made to work, etc.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »

Yeah, I don't really see why there is any confusion on what the show is going to be about. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on May 12, 2014, 09:53:37 PM

Yeah, I don't really see why there is any confusion on what the show is going to be about. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I'm not so much confused as to what the show is about as I am wondering what the intended target audience is, or maybe more why did this idea get a green light instead of something else.  The Marvel universe is chock full of characters and stories, and of all of them, somehow this is what the powers that be chose to bet their money on?  A period drama that's a tangential spinoff to a show whose ratings were already in question (SHIELD), that can't really have direct tie-ins to the next few movies and is most associated to what's generally considered the most boring of all the Marvel movies (Cap 1)? 
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:49 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 12, 2014, 11:24:28 PM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on May 12, 2014, 09:53:37 PM

I'm not so much confused as to what the show is about as I am wondering what the intended target audience is, or maybe more why did this idea get a green light instead of something else.  The Marvel universe is chock full of characters and stories, and of all of them, somehow this is what the powers that be chose to bet their money on?  A period drama that's a tangential spinoff to a show whose ratings were already in question (SHIELD), that can't really have direct tie-ins to the next few movies and is most associated to what's generally considered the most boring of all the Marvel movies (Cap 1)? 

Maybe they are going for a Indiana Jones vibe with Agent Carter in the lead role fighting Nazis who are searching for or creating some ultimate weapon of the week?  I have no idea but will tune in to see what they trying.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 01:17:40 AM »

Plus, it is differentiating itself with a female protagonist. I'm sure ABC/Marvel would love to pull in more of the ladies. Frankly, I think the show could be fun, as it hasn't been explored that much within the movies.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 12, 2014, 08:01:48 PM

Seriously, I don't know who the intended audience for this is?  It sounds like some sort of period piece chick flick lol.  As a chick flick fan, I suppose I'd watch the show if it starred, say, Katherine Heigl. 

icon_eek

Seriously?  That woman has three onscreen emotions...and two of them require an elaborate truss and pulley system.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2014, 01:45:11 PM

Quote from: rittchard on May 12, 2014, 08:01:48 PM

Seriously, I don't know who the intended audience for this is?  It sounds like some sort of period piece chick flick lol.  As a chick flick fan, I suppose I'd watch the show if it starred, say, Katherine Heigl. 

icon_eek

Seriously?  That woman has three onscreen emotions...and two of them require an elaborate truss and pulley system.

lol you're on a roll today Hep!

I don't know why I like her, it's just one of those taste things.

Anyway I did read a little more and sounds like they are going for a Mad Men - type vibe.  Personally I like Zinfan's idea more.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 12, 2014, 05:49:43 PM

Why not just roll her into Agent of Shield..   No matter Agent of Shield lost me and I just don't see myself getting into this show

Well mostly because she'd be on her death bed the entire time Tongue

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

http://www.hayleyatwellfan.com  Fabulous

Who cares about the plot? :-)

From what little the writers said in that Collider review:
-it'll start in 1946
-They'd like to have Howard Stark as a "recurring," not regular character. DumDum Dugan (Neal
 McDonough) appeared in the Marvel One Shot on the Iron Man 3 BluRay.
-S.H.I.E.L.D may eventually come into play, but not right away, even though the Agent Carter One Shot already mentions it.

It's the right era for some Cold War stuff. Not sure what else would come into play then.

The Agent Carter One Shot summary from Wikipedia:
Agent Carter, released on the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray release on September 24, 2013, as well as part of the digital download release on September 3, 2013, sees Hayley Atwell reprise her role as Peggy Carter.

The short also sees Dominic Cooper and Neal McDonough reprise their roles as Howard Stark and Dum Dum Dugan, respectively, Chris Evans via archive footage as Steve Rogers / Captain America, and introduces Bradley Whitford as Agent Flynn and Shane Black as the Disembodied Voice. It was directed by Louis D’Esposito and written by Eric Pearson. The short was filmed over five days.

One year after the events of Captain America: The First Avenger, Agent Carter, now a member of the Strategic Scientific Reserve, is stuck compiling data instead of working field cases. One night while alone in the office, the case line rings, informing Carter of the location of the mysterious Zodiac. She goes to the location, and is able to retrieve the serum single-handedly. The next day, her misogynistic boss, Agent Flynn, reprimands her for not going through the proper procedures to complete the mission. Carter explains that the mission was time-sensitive, but Flynn is unmoved, dismissing the indignant Carter as an "old flame" of Captain America's who was given her current job out of pity for her bereavement.

As Flynn heads to his office, the case line rings, this time with Howard Stark on the other end. He tells Flynn to inform Carter that she will co-head the newly created S.H.I.E.L.D. and that Flynn must personally assist Carter with her things. In a mid-credit scene, Dum Dum Dugan is seen poolside with Stark, marveling at two women wearing the newly created bikinis. Dugan asks Stark if he invented them, to which Stark replies "No, the French".
Bradley Whitford's show "The Trophy Wife," was canceled so he'll be available.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:14:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »

Bradley Whitford's character would have little to nothing to do with a post-one-shot show.  She leaves his department at the SSR to take the new position.  Unless they bring the SSR into some coop/conflict with SHIELD, there's no need for them to be around.  Not to mention, I'm sure the SSR is bigger than that one office. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: