http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV]The Cape  (Read 2565 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »

NBC is taking another shot at the superhero genre, this time with The Cape, co-starring River Tam.  it's the usual setup, good guy gets framed, puts on tights and fights to clear his name, with a former Terminator for a sidekick.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »

here's the trailer for the series.  it actually looks half decent, which means it'll be gone mid season.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »

this does look pretty good.  Seems to have a bit more of a serious side to it.  It looks like tv has definitely jumped on the superhero band wagon.  ABC has a new superhero series coming in fall as well called No Ordinary Family and it stars Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz  ( from Dexter )

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »

Small correction.

Quote from: rshetts2 on May 18, 2010, 07:53:14 PM

this does look pretty good.  Seems to have a bit more of a serious side to it.  It looks like tv has definitely jumped on the superhero band wagon.  ABC has a new superhero series coming in fall as well called No Ordinary Family and it stars Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz  ( from Dexter Buffy & Angel )
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on May 18, 2010, 11:22:35 PM

Small correction.

this does look pretty good.  Seems to have a bit more of a serious side to it.  It looks like tv has definitely jumped on the superhero band wagon.  ABC has a new superhero series coming in fall as well called No Ordinary Family and it stars Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz  ( from Dexter Buffy & Angel )

in all fairness she's only been credited for 26 episodes of Buffy & angel combined, while she's got 48 episodes of Dexter with her name on them.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:58:39 AM »

It does look good, although using the cape to attack looks kinda silly.  Also, "The Cape" sounds more like a teen drama or reality show than a superhero slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:22:30 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on May 18, 2010, 11:22:35 PM

Small correction.

But she is Darla. I had the same thought as Vidiot when I saw the post Tongue

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »

The trailer piques my interest.  It will be going on my planning spreadsheet for the fall.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 08:12:15 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 19, 2010, 02:58:29 PM

The trailer piques my interest.  It will be going on my planning spreadsheet for the fall.

I've been trying to find a hard date for this to start and the best I can find is 'later in the season'.  I'm guessing mid season replacement for possibly Chuck unless they up Chuck's episode order.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »

we finally got a start date for the series: January 9th for the 2 horu premiere, then January 17th for it join it's regular timeslot at 9pm on Mondays.  It's only on during a break in The Event though, once The Event returns on February 28th I guess it returning later depends on how well it does during it's initial run.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2010, 12:05:01 AM

here's the trailer for the series.  it actually looks half decent, which means it'll be gone mid season.
It's a mid-season fill-in show (while The Event goes on a brief, scheduled hiatus), so how can it be gone mid season when it starts mid-season?   confused That paradox sounds like something in Inception...

j/k I know what you mean.

I think the problem with Heroes and Modern Family now is they're mostly full of characters who see having super powers as some sort of horrific burden and then they moan and groan for an hour about how miserable they are. Why not do a show where people get the powers and they're happy about it?  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 16, 2010, 04:01:49 PM

I think the problem with Heroes and Modern Family now is they're mostly full of characters who see having super powers as some sort of horrific burden and then they moan and groan for an hour about how miserable they are. Why not do a show where people get the powers and they're happy about it?  icon_smile

Because with great power come great responsability and some people just don't cant to deal with that...

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 09:28:18 PM »

here's the trailer for the series.  it actually looks half decent, which means it'll be gone mid season.
It's a mid-season fill-in show (while The Event goes on a brief, scheduled hiatus), so how can it be gone mid season when it starts mid-season?   confused That paradox sounds like something in Inception...

I'm trying to figure out what Phil's superpower is.  Being annoying, I guess.  If anything, though, Manny is the Professor Xavier of the group.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »

A super hero trained by circus folk to fight with a spider silk cape ... eh. Okay. I'm in.  icon_biggrin

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 09:47:53 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on November 16, 2010, 09:45:34 PM

A super hero trained by circus folk to fight with a spider silk cape ... eh. Okay. I'm in.  icon_biggrin

I want to try and get into this, I really do, but there's just something that seems off...maybe it's the goofy animation on the cape.  Hopefully it's something that'll be fixed by the time the show premieres?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »

here's the trailer for the series.  it actually looks half decent, which means it'll be gone mid season.
It's a mid-season fill-in show (while The Event goes on a brief, scheduled hiatus), so how can it be gone mid season when it starts mid-season?   confused That paradox sounds like something in Inception...

Yeah, curse CeeKay for not knowing three months in advance which shows were going to be launch shows and which tasked for mid-season! *Fist Shaking* Tongue

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 16, 2010, 03:45:39 PM

we finally got a start date for the series: January 9th for the 2 horu premiere, then January 17th for it join it's regular timeslot at 9pm on Mondays.  It's only on during a break in The Event though, once The Event returns on February 28th I guess it returning later depends on how well it does during it's initial run.

happy bday to me, summer returns! ok, 2 days early, but still

man did she look good on chuck the other night. the event fucking sucks. so i hope the cape is good and knocks it off. seeing how she's going to get chuck canceled and all.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »

How much of a role does Summer Glau get this time around? Actual co star with decent speaking parts, or Terminator levels?

Now all we need is Jewel Staite and Morena Baccarin to get good starring roles and the girls from Firefly are all set.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 11:05:24 AM »

Isn't she the main character's side kick type thing? So I would imagine a fairly large one. Well Morena has that awful V show.

Poor Jewel is stuck with horrible sci fi movies :| They need to shoe horn into SGU somehow since ginn died.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »

Yeah, Morena is higher profile now than she was on Firefly.

But Jewel Staite needs to be rescued from obscurity.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »

I must have a different sense of taste than most of you, I thought that trailer up top looked pretty dumb.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 03:28:20 AM »

saw some of the new previews during the game.  good to see keith david getting work outside of video games. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »

I want a prime time show about a superhero of any kind to be good. I really do.

But this looks awful.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 05:39:40 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on January 03, 2011, 04:43:07 AM

But this looks awful.

+1

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »

Well something has to make up for No Ordinary Family, which finally wore me down after 4 episode of drek. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 03, 2011, 05:39:40 AM

But this looks awful.

+1

I felt that way after the first few trailers, but the last one I saw actually looked like fun.  Plus, if you stick James Frain in a show, it immediately goes up five notches in my book.  That guy is an amazing actor.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 03, 2011, 07:27:56 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 03, 2011, 05:39:40 AM

But this looks awful.

+1

I felt that way after the first few trailers, but the last one I saw actually looked like fun.  Plus, if you stick James Frain in a show, it immediately goes up five notches in my book.  That guy is an amazing actor.

I'm looking forward to it, looks like fun to me.  Plus I'll watch anything with Summer Glau in it smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 03, 2011, 01:17:49 PM

Well something has to make up for No Ordinary Family, which finally wore me down after 4 episode of drek. 
I'd like a comic book hero show that's a little more fun and not obsessed with how miserable and tortured and unhappy people are about their powers. A little of that goes a long way.

I don't think I'm enlisting for any more "Oh I've got super powers and I'm so miserable, and my boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't really love me anymore, and I'll use my super power to be the cool boy at the frat party, blah blah blah." As much as I love Batman in the movies, if I have to spend every week with a super hero, I'd like a little less Tortured Self-Absorbed Miserable Soul in it.

As far as this goes, I suspect it will be another shortly canceled NBC series (which is about all they do now as a network). I will give it a shot though.

Playing
PC
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »

aka the Peter Parker Syndrome.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »

You know.. this one looks ok to me. I'm liking the promos with all the 'one name' baddies on them. I'll give it a chance.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 03:16:25 AM »

they're repeating the first two episodes tomorrow night too if you missed them tonight.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 05:38:25 AM »

after watching tonight's premiere, i have a pretty strong feeling that the show isn't going to last very long.  it wasn't terrible, but it's pretty far from compelling so far.  i'll be tuning in a little longer just to give the show a fair shot, but i can't say that i have high hopes.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 05:40:22 AM »

Quote from: disarm on January 10, 2011, 05:38:25 AM

after watching tonight's premiere, i have a pretty strong feeling that the show isn't going to last very long.  it wasn't terrible, but it's pretty far from compelling so far.  i'll be tuning in a little longer just to give the show a fair shot, but i can't say that i have high hopes.

yeah, I watched the first episode and think that the show's long term survivability would have better chances had they made it a syndicated show and not worried about getting big names into it.

Because I can,
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »

I liked it.  eek
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »

My TiVo grabbed them for me, so I'll watch them sometime this week

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The cape special effects are not frequent, but they are cool -- I'm wondering if NBC will give it enough budget to keep doing that.

The cape itself aside, the character's got a lot more in common with Daredevil/Matt Murdock than it does Batman/Bruce Wayne imho. Which is OK by me.  icon_cool I think a DD-like character is better suited to network TV budget limits than a really gadget-crazy character.

I loved the comic-book/graphic novel-style opening credits, and how the various segments of the two-hour premiere get a snappy brief title screen before they start.

The 1st and 2nd hours of the premiere (more like two episodes stitched together, I guess) were each directed by different guys. Simon West, who has directed some theatrical features like Tomb Raider and the upcoming Jason Statham actioner "The Mechanic," directed the first hour. fwiw I enjoyed the first hour a bit more than the second.

Whether it avoids becoming another comic book-y show where everyone is self-absorbed and miserable every second, or can't think of any way to use their super powers other than to ogle girls, be a football QB or find out "does that guy/gal really like me???? Oh my gawd!" will probably determine if it has any legs or not, and if I choose to stick with NBC each Monday when Chuck ends (this will slot in at 9 p.m. Mondays after Chuck, at least for a while).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:15:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

2.6 and 8+ million viewers. Pretty low for a premiere but it is NBC.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 03:31:28 AM »

It was a struggle to make it through the first hour. It was rushed, disjointed - it was like they tried to do a half season in 45 minutes. I didn't watch the second half. Deleted it.

It was bad. Like Sci-fi channel movie bad. Am I the only one that hated it?

ugh.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:14 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on January 11, 2011, 03:31:28 AM

It was a struggle to make it through the first hour. It was rushed, disjointed - it was like they tried to do a half season in 45 minutes. I didn't watch the second half. Deleted it.

ugh.

Nope.  I didn't care for it either.  I watched about an hour and got bored.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:27 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on January 11, 2011, 03:31:28 AM

ugh.

I watched the whole two hours, but felt very much the same. The basic story is fine, as are the characters and most of the casting (though Cain is possibly the lamest TV villain I've seen in a while...) but the writing and pacing of the show are terrible.

Won't be watching any more.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: