http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 04:22:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV]Mad Men  (Read 600 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »

My satellite TV provider(SKY) has an On Demand service,and they had the first 3 seasons of Mad Men,so i thought i would download them and give them a go,and I have been massively enjoying them

I don't hear much about this TV series to be honest,either in the stuff i read or even on here,yet looking it up it wins a lot of awards and has some great metacritic scores

Jon Hamm,is perfect as Don Draper an ex Korean War veteran with a past,but admittedly he annoys the hell out of me sometimes with the decisions he makes(usually involving having Sex with the wrong person,LOL),and wish sometimes he would go easy on Peggy Tongue

I also love Roger Sterling(John Slattery who also played Howard Stark in Iron Man 2..yeah i know!),funniest character for me

and yes Hepcat,i do actually like Lane Pryce,as stuffy and uptight as he is I like the character(he played Moriarty in the RDJ Sherlock Holmes films)

I have also come to the conclusion that the very end scene when this series does actually finish will be Don Draper throwing himself off a building and re-enacting the opening credits

My Satellite provider didn't have Season 4 and 5 on their On Demand service(with Season 6 currently on air and I'm recording weekly),so i got Netflix,i had to anyway because of Arrested Development coming soon,and i watched Season 4 last night-13 episodes back to back!!..started season 5 this morning

><><><><><><><off topic><><><><><><><>>
Not sure if its available in the U.S. but if you can catch A Young Doctor's Notebook from Sky,its well worth it,its only 4 episodes(22 minutes each) and has Jon Hamm playing an older Daniel Radcliffe and how he became addicted to Morphine as one of Russia's most promising new young Doctors,it's really good and funny as well

a new series is in the pipeline

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 10:17:21 PM »

I watch Mad Men. Every time I start to wonder wtf I'm doing watching this soap opera, they come up with a completely awesome episode that draws me right back in. It may be a soap opera, but it's an extremely well-written soap opera. And I was the same age as Don's daughter in the 1960s, so it's set during my childhood. The period detail is very accurate.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:38:55 PM »

Currently one of my favorite shows on TV. Love how the characters aren't people you necessarily love, yet you pull for them anyway. They all have major flaws. Also they seem to do a pretty good job of showing the time period.

Oh, and Joan, I do love Joan.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »

Just finished Season 5,with the end music track i am guessing it is now 1967(You Only Live Twice -Nancy Sinatra)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Gutted about Lane

I am actually not that impressed on how that was executed,i really wanted to see Don in the aftermath...if he did or did not tell his fellow partners that he had sacked Lane the Friday before

It would've been interesting to see Don tell his wife that Lane had killed himself,because she was the only person Don had told about him embezzling and therefore getting the sack

but no,like a lot of times a new episode starts and hardly anything is mentioned on the subject again

Unsure whether to start the season 6 episodes on my DVR(7 episodes)or wait until i have them all
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:02:51 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 07:49:25 AM »

Must admit since Lane died this has not been the same,season 6 has still been good,but nowhere near as good as the past seasons

only got 3 episodes left of this sixth season and season 7 will be the last

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »

I agree, the show isn't as good as the earlier seasons. When Don was married and screwing around all the time. Still I have enjoyed the character progression, they're interesting.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »

I disagree.  I'm really enjoying the emphasis on historical events used as both backdrops and as explanatory tools for the characters this season.  The 1968 Democratic Convention gave us the perfect look into Don's detachment from his wife, while the shooting of Dr. Martin Luther King enabled us to see Pete as an actual person instead of Snidely Whiplash.  

I'm also diggin' the hell out of Harry Hamlin's Jim Cutler.  I want a spin off that consists entirely of Cutler and Roger on adventures.

Oh...and
Spoiler for Hiden:
The "everyone's high as a kite" episode was 90 shades of awesome.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:05:55 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2013, 04:02:50 PM

I disagree.  I'm really enjoying the emphasis on historical events used as both backdrops and as explanatory tools for the characters this season.  The 1968 Democratic Convention gave us the perfect look into Don's detachment from his wife, while the shooting of Dr. Martin Luther King enabled us to see Pete as an actual person instead of Snidely Whiplash.  

I'm also diggin' the hell out of Harry Hamlin's Jim Cutler.  I want a spin off that consists entirely of Cutler and Roger on adventures.

Oh...and
Spoiler for Hiden:
The "everyone's high as a kite" episode was 90 shades of awesome.

That episode was all kinds of amazing

and while i agree with you about the backdrop history,its still been doing that in the past seasons..i know its still cool though

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »

In previous seasons, I seem to recall that the emphasis was more on historical movements, and they seemed more of a device to establish the mood of the time.  It just feels to me that this season they're using specific events in history as a much more intrusive device in the stories.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2013, 04:34:56 PM

In previous seasons, I seem to recall that the emphasis was more on historical movements, and they seemed more of a device to establish the mood of the time.  It just feels to me that this season they're using specific events in history as a much more intrusive device in the stories.

One might say those events were much more intrusive in people's lives at that time.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »

One might.  Another might not.   icon_razz

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »

What an ending, it got to me. Felt sorry for Don after watching, then woke up this morning and it was the first thing I thought of. You could see his marriage ending a mile away, not losing his job though. Guess he has hit a new low, be interesting where this goes.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:38:36 PM »

I haven't been this anxious for the next season of Mad Men in a very long time.  Fantastic season closer.  Don is at a turning point in his life.  And instead of skirting it as he's done in the past, he seems to be embracing it...although with sometimes tragic results (his job, his marriage).  However, I think next season we're going to see the rise of Richard Whitman as Don's original identity is integrated with his assumed one.  

I'm also curious to see how far Bob Benson goes.  He's like the evil, anti Don Draper in that he's using the same method of recreating himself that Don did...but he didn't have the influence of an Anna Draper to mold him into a (somewhat) decent human being during the early days of the process.  As such, he has no qualms with utterly destroying another human being to get ahead.  

Best line of the season though came from the bouncer at the whore house in Don's flashback.  As he was tossing out a bible thumper, he yelled after him, "I'd say go to hell, but I don't wanna see you again!"  

...and I'm still not seeing why men throw themselves at Peggy.  She's like the Ruth Buzzi of advertising.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »

Kind of a weak season for me.  They spent last season introducing so many great new characters (Ginsberg, Rizzo, even Dawn) and all but ignored them this season.  I really liked Bob and Don's new buddy Arnie, but the rest of the new characters I could take or leave.  There were seemingly a few throwaway episodes this season too (the speed episode in particular, but also the California episode) which I don't remember happening ever in the past.

In any case I'll certainly keep watching, but I'm not as amped for next season as I was after the previous finale.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »

I was hoping Chevy's car was going to come out this season. Supposedly it's going to be the Vega, which bombed. Usually they skip a bit of time before the next season starts, so is that whole disappointment going to be a footnote now? The run up to the firm failing maybe?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 25, 2013, 09:12:26 PM

I was hoping Chevy's car was going to come out this season. Supposedly it's going to be the Vega, which bombed. Usually they skip a bit of time before the next season starts, so is that whole disappointment going to be a footnote now? The run up to the firm failing maybe?

It's definitely the Vega, which means the actual launch is a few years away from the year this season was set in.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2013, 02:38:36 PM

...and I'm still not seeing why men throw themselves at Peggy.  She's like the Ruth Buzzi of advertising.

Man, when you're on, you're right on.  icon_lol

Powerful, independent women were still quite scarce in the 1960s, so that gives her an edge.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 01:16:49 AM »

Did the Vega bomb? It was one of the worst cars ever built, but it was cheap and I remember a LOT of them on the road. It was a hit with the young and poor, anyway.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2013, 02:38:36 PM

In MM,yeah...in real life though..

YES,no questions!! icon_biggrin

loved the last episode,and while i probably haven't enjoyed this season as much as past seasons,overall i did enjoy it,i still love all the characters

I loved news of Pete Campbells Mother falling overboard(his father died in a plane crash and she dies on a boat trip)

and i am really loving how Don is finally starting to open up about his childhood,the end was perfect..and Joni Mitchell Both Sides Now playing over the credits thumbsup

I agree that i think this could be a massive turning point for Don and can/will do him good...as said,past seasons have lead me to believe he would recreate the opening credit scene in the very last episode and throw himself off the building..now he has been given leave from the company,things may change around for him...BUT,this is Don Draper we are talking about(or Dick Whitman)

really looking forward to the last season

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: