http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV]Derek-New Ricky Gervais Show  (Read 552 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »

Derek starts in the UK on 30th January

It's very different from what Ricky Gervais has done in the past,yes its still a 'mockumentary',but TBH i think its more a drama than a comedy,of course there are funny parts in it,but i have just watched the Pilot(that was shown last April,and i never knew about it),but it was more touching than funny

(EDIT:on the wiki page its described as 'Comedy-Drama')

It's set in an old people's home,and Derek,i think is autistic(Very sorry i've got that wrong,not really sure what it is) ...it certainly doesn't play out like its taking the piss out of any disability or the elderly,as i said it was more touching and sweet

Karl Pilkington also stars as Dougie,who is the caretaker at the home

Someone said the pilot was on Youtube,looked it up but it's been blocked(no surprise),so i ended up having to watch it on 4od(Channel 4 online service),which i would guess would probably be region locked for outside the UK,I do know that Netflix has picked the series up though

TV Spots for the pilot that was shown last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVBaZA1Jnkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1TGQjJW2lk

one for the series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NNqProZ1QE
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:01:20 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:08:06 AM »

That's...odd.  It looks like Gervais is trying his hand at drama, as you mention.  The only problem is that apparently the only dramatic material he's had access to is a library of Hollywood films about the mentally challenged.  I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like a disaster.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 21, 2013, 01:08:06 AM

That's...odd.  It looks like Gervais is trying his hand at drama, as you mention.  The only problem is that apparently the only dramatic material he's had access to is a library of Hollywood films about the mentally challenged.  I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like a disaster.

Like the lightsaber, Karl Dilkington automatically makes the product 2 star quality. 2 stars is no disaster!
Heh, I'd like to check it out, I'm a big fan of Gervais and Pilkington - the work they've done together is really friggin funny.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »

They've already stated that Pilkington isn't acting for the radio show but somehow he's a comedy genius anyway, and seems to take to scripted lines well, so he's probably not entirely genuine. But damned if he doesn't make a good combination.

Any Stephen Merchant in this?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 22, 2013, 11:31:36 AM

Any Stephen Merchant in this?

He wasn't in the Pilot,and his IMDb shows he is doing a new series for HBO called 'Hello Ladies'
A gawky Englishman comes to Los Angeles to find the woman of his dreams.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »

I was concerned that he was going to be mean-spirited, but it came across as pretty funny and touching.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »

I know it's awful, but I find him at his funniest when he IS being mean spirited.  Life's Too Short lampooned this perfectly by having he and Merchant act like complete assholes around everyone they met with in their office.  Plus, the scene with Liam Neeson trying out a stand up comedy routine based on AIDS has to be seen to be believed.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »

just spend the day on Youtube and you will come across some gold from Ricky

I just found this,its a 20 minute interview with Ricky and Karl where the interviewer asks Karl a question and Ricky has to write it down to see if its right

Karl's answer for his pet hate nearly had me on the floor laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKDHXolazEU

McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 22, 2013, 08:43:49 PM

I know it's awful, but I find him at his funniest when he IS being mean spirited.  Life's Too Short lampooned this perfectly by having he and Merchant act like complete assholes around everyone they met with in their office.  Plus, the scene with Liam Neeson trying out a stand up comedy routine based on AIDS has to be seen to be believed.

Nice! Someone else saw this. That part was simply amazing.
To tickle the 'evil' slapstick bone, my part was when Warrick was trying to get his awards off the top shelf of his former home. Crap, that had me crying. The things Gervais and Merchant are willing to do or try to do is awesome. I think that's what works so well with their podcast is that they're not laughing with Karl, they're laughing at him. Also, the Office really thrived off the mean-spirited comedy. Truly amazing stuff.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:47:46 AM by McBa1n » Logged
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 09:57:17 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 25, 2013, 10:24:26 AM

just spend the day on Youtube and you will come across some gold from Ricky

I just found this,its a 20 minute interview with Ricky and Karl where the interviewer asks Karl a question and Ricky has to write it down to see if its right

Karl's answer for his pet hate nearly had me on the floor laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKDHXolazEU

Thanks for this link. Holy crap this is funny.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »

Quote from: McBa1n on January 29, 2013, 09:43:56 AM

Quote from: hepcat on January 22, 2013, 08:43:49 PM

I know it's awful, but I find him at his funniest when he IS being mean spirited.  Life's Too Short lampooned this perfectly by having he and Merchant act like complete assholes around everyone they met with in their office.  Plus, the scene with Liam Neeson trying out a stand up comedy routine based on AIDS has to be seen to be believed.

Nice! Someone else saw this. That part was simply amazing.

The whole bit and nothing but the bit.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »

It was the last episode of Derek last night,overall i liked the series,it started off great but it did dip a little during the middle,but last nights episode was really good/touching

anyway,Ricky Gevais just tweeted this

Just got an email from Channel 4 saying they've never had a reaction like it. They sent me the comments log. You've made me Golden Boy. Haha

FAQ DVD Nov 11th. Derek will be shown exclusively on Netflix world wide this summer. Series 2 has been commissioned.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: