http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:38:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Torchwood: Miracle Day (Season 4)  (Read 1434 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »

now with Bill Pullman as a regular for the 10 episode season.  it's cool that it won't be a short series like Children of the Earth was, but then again I think it helped keep the story moving at a good pace.  It's also going to be airing on Starz in 2011 instead of BBC America, so no commercials! thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:34:12 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »

The series has a final title (Torchwood : Miracle Day) and a premise - People stop dying.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »

wow, bill pullman?  that's really out of left field.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »

Yay. More torchwood.

Now if only we could get a solid 26eps/season out of Dr. Who. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:34:22 AM »

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »

looks like the gloves are off when it comes to handling Jack's sexuality on Starz.

As for his character’s love life, Barrowman says Capt. Jack “gets to have full-on boy-sex a couple of times. On those days going to work I’d wake up and Scott my partner would say, ‘What are you filming today?’ And I’d say, ‘Oh it’s going to be a tough day, I get to have sex with a 24 year old.’”

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »

Did anyone watch the series premiere?  I TiVo last night so, I'll enjoy it sometime this weekend

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »

Missed it... just set up a Season Pass and the first episode repeats tonight.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »

I'll have to check my DVR when I get home.  I think I set it but not definite.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 01:23:22 AM »

I watched it last night. A decent start - it feels a bit different with the focus on the new American characters and the change in setting. I think they wanted it to be accessible to people who hadn't watched Torchwood before, but I'm sure those people would be plenty confused about what Torchwood was and who Captain Jack and Gwen are.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 10, 2011, 01:23:22 AM

I watched it last night. A decent start - it feels a bit different with the focus on the new American characters and the change in setting. I think they wanted it to be accessible to people who hadn't watched Torchwood before, but I'm sure those people would be plenty confused about what Torchwood was and who Captain Jack and Gwen are.

I'm not familiar with Torchwood, so I like they are beginning this way

NiM$
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:06:53 AM »

I didn't start watching Torchwood until S3, and that was quite good... And even though I'm sure I missed a ton of backstory, I never felt like I wasn't 'in on the joke', or so to speak. I like that they are retelling what Torchwood is and what's up with it's characters in s4. That's just good story telling.
To be honest, even though there's only been 1 episode... I think it has potential to be fantastic. Just the premise of the main story line is freaking crazy and awesome. I really am eager for whats to come.

Oh yeah, and Bill Pullman knocks his character out of the park. Creepy s o b.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »

I've never been a big fan of Torchwood, although the last mini series was exceptionally well written and I actually quite enjoyed it.

I think my primary problem with the show is that I honestly don't like any of the cast...with the exception of Captain Jack.  And even that comes with a caveat as the actor who portrays him is definitely from the stage end of acting, and not the movie/tv side.  You can tell because he often will play it very "large"...emphasizing simple things because he's used to having to make himself heard/seen on a stage.  Subtlety isn't as easy on a stage, and with Jack it shows.  While the actor is very charming and cool, his overacting sometimes distracts me from the story they're trying to tell.

The other members just irritate me.  That may be why I enjoyed the Children of Earth mini-series...they killed some of them off.  I wish they'd have finished the job though and just left Jack. 

The addition of the new Americans to the show comes across as forced and formulaic, imho.  They bring absolutely nothing to the cast.  They're cookie cutter characters that could be replaced by anyone.  However, Pullman may yet redeem things on his end.  The guy is a damn good actor and hopefully can lift the others up with him.

That being said, the story this time around seems sufficiently interesting to keep my tuning in.  I can live with annoying actors if they tell a good tale. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »

Oh, come on, what do you have against Gwen Cooper? Mekhi Pfifer (sp?) played kind of a douchey character on ER and he's kind of douchey in this as well. Maybe that's just how he acts. I was kind of disappointed when I found out that Pullman was playing such a disturbing character because I'm just used to him being very likable.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »

Yep, Gwen even annoys me.  Mekhi has all the screen presence of a canned ham.  The CIA chick looks like every other B movie blonde that ever went from casting couch to tv.  There is zero chemistry on screen when any of the characters get together (imho, of course).

Pullman though, HE'S at least interesting.  I was kind of shocked to see what kind of character he was portraying.  I was under the assumption he was just being added to the CIA cast or something.  Kudos to the writers for pulling that rug out from under me.  I'm anxious to hear more about his story.  There has to be more there than meets the eye.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 12, 2011, 02:04:55 PM

I was kind of disappointed when I found out that Pullman was playing such a disturbing character because I'm just used to him being very likable.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how well he pulls off this role, and how he's going to fit into the grand scheme of things.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »

Mehki on ER = Omar Epps on House = Erik King on Dexter

Pensive, emotionally troubled, domineering black man with giant man-pecs.

There may be subtle differences, but AFAIK, completely interchangeable.

Note: I've just finished season 1 of Dex, completed the last three seasons of ER, and have watched every House to this point.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:29:51 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 12:52:26 AM »

watching episode 2 right now, and sorry, but I can't buy Newman in his role.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 01:05:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2011, 12:52:26 AM

Sadly, I agree.  Ever time he appeared I would just narrow my eyes and hiss, "Newman!"

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 26, 2011, 01:05:02 AM

Sadly, I agree.  Ever time he appeared I would just narrow my eyes and hiss, "Newman!"

That's true. Very odd casting choice.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 01:29:42 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 26, 2011, 01:12:24 AM

I disagree.  it's the same character he always plays albeit with more authority and power than usual.  'Newman' was a conniving weasel is Seinfield.  He also played that part in jurassic park, Toy Story 2, etc.

morlac00 on PSN
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 01:38:59 AM »

Quote from: morlac on July 26, 2011, 01:29:42 AM

Quote from: Teggy on July 26, 2011, 01:12:24 AM

I disagree.  it's the same character he always plays albeit with more authority and power than usual.  'Newman' was a conniving weasel is Seinfield.  He also played that part in jurassic park, Toy Story 2, etc.

In Toy Story 2 he was an animated character and in Jurassic park he played a computer nerd. In this show we're supposed to believe he holds one of the most important positions in the CIA.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »

wow, Bill Pullman really upped the creepy factor when Jack first talked to him in episode 3.

Because I can,
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »

Bill Pullman has been awesome so far. The series is 'ok', as it stands, but I think it's going somewhere. Just hope it's worth the payoff. Captain Jack is a great character, could really care less if the rest of the 'good guys' get offed on the way.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »

Quote from: McBa1n on August 01, 2011, 05:01:44 PM

Bill Pullman has been awesome so far. The series is 'ok', as it stands, but I think it's going somewhere. Just hope it's worth the payoff. Captain Jack is a great character, could really care less if the rest of the 'good guys' get offed on the way.

+1

I agree with all of that. 

Pullman is carrying (pulling?) this show so far...with a bit of help from Jack, of course.  Speaking of Jack, I think he's much, much better since the first two seasons.  He's not comically overacting as much since the children miniseries. 

McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »

Dang. I kinda wish I just waited for the show to finish and then watched it all in 2 sittings or something. Good episode last night (ep 5 I think it was?). The plot just keeps getting more and more f'd. There's just so much not exposed, yet. Dangit, I wish I could be more patient... Because it's a pretty fun ride, so far.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 12:58:59 AM »

Quote from: McBa1n on August 06, 2011, 10:27:27 PM

Dang. I kinda wish I just waited for the show to finish and then watched it all in 2 sittings or something. Good episode last night (ep 5 I think it was?). The plot just keeps getting more and more f'd. There's just so much not exposed, yet. Dangit, I wish I could be more patient... Because it's a pretty fun ride, so far.

I've stopped watching exactly for this reason.  I have my TiVo set up to record the season and I will watch them all in one marathon sitting

NiM$
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »

I'm enjoying this series (mainly due to loving Jack and Gwen), but I think it's my least favorite TW series so far. I was not very enthused by the premise going in, but it's been a bit more interesting than I expected. My main issue with this series is that I think it's just too long. Every week it feels like the plot is moving at a glacial pace. After every week I am just like "... get on it with it already!". I wish the series was about half as long - or they would tie the main plot together over 10 eps by having unrelated "Torchwoody" plots to solve each week.

Another enjoyable part of this series has been Bill Pullman's performance and character. I'm curious to see where they are going with him and I find it interesting. I do have a lot of trouble buying his meteoric rise to massive popularity. It just doesn't feel plausible to me, but Pullman's performance and the uniqueness of the character have me going along with it despite my misgivings.

Finally, my pet theory (not based on any inside knowledge or spoilers) is that since they made Jack "mortal" in this series, they clearly are going to kill him off late in the series. It almost seems like a cheat to take away his immortality and not kill him at some point. I expect it will be the ep 9 cliffhanger or happen at some point in episode 10. Since it seems highly likely that Miracle Day has come by someone stealing Jack's immortality, and clearly this will be reversed somehow, I would expect Jack to regain his immortality and be resurrected at the end. I have a feeling that Rex and Oswald won't fare so well at the end. Anyway, just my pet theory.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 07, 2011, 03:47:40 PM

I'm enjoying this series (mainly due to loving Jack and Gwen), but I think it's my least favorite TW series so far. I was not very enthused by the premise going in, but it's been a bit more interesting than I expected. My main issue with this series is that I think it's just too long. Every week it feels like the plot is moving at a glacial pace. After every week I am just like "... get on it with it already!". I wish the series was about half as long - or they would tie the main plot together over 10 eps by having unrelated "Torchwoody" plots to solve each week.
Kind of in the same boat... The original Torchwood series seemed to do this pretty well... I'm also not to sold on the way Torchwood is setup right now... I really liked the old version where they actually had some authority and took on all the really strange things...

Quote from: JCC on August 07, 2011, 03:47:40 PM

Finally, my pet theory (not based on any inside knowledge or spoilers) is that since they made Jack "mortal" in this series, they clearly are going to kill him off late in the series. It almost seems like a cheat to take away his immortality and not kill him at some point. I expect it will be the ep 9 cliffhanger or happen at some point in episode 10. Since it seems highly likely that Miracle Day has come by someone stealing Jack's immortality, and clearly this will be reversed somehow, I would expect Jack to regain his immortality and be resurrected at the end. I have a feeling that Rex and Oswald won't fare so well at the end. Anyway, just my pet theory.

Kind of thinking the same thing, although...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Killing him off completely wouldn't work... He is still alive in the future according to continuity (Although, in a VERY different form)..

I'm also hoping for a Doctor Who cameo at some point.... Maybe he does something that helps get Torchwood back up and running properly or something, but not solve the current mystery for them...Except, maybe showing up as a cheerleader...
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »

Yeah I don't think he'll be killed forever, but I do think they'll tease it.

Frankly, I don't think there will be any more series of Torchwood after this one - at least not co-produced with Starz (here's why). So, if the show continues, I hope it gets closer to its roots than this season. The ratings are down about 25% or so in the UK for this series, so I have doubts it will carry on at all.

As for Doctor Who I would also love to see Jack interact with Matt Smith's Doctor. I think it will definitely happen in 2013 (if not before) in whatever season or half season or whatever they plan to do for that year since it's the 50th anniversary.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »

I wonder if the ratings being down are due to going away from the roots of the show...
Just finished episode 5... and yeah I hate the waiting to see what happens....
At least it looks like they plan on tying up the whole thing even if it doesn't come back....
I really think that they need to have a law that forces TV shows to do this before canceling...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 12:29:03 AM »

I'm kind of hoping that they do get back to their roots if there is another season too.  I liked it when they weren't so focused on a single story, but instead had other things going on too.  so far this season, while good, seems to be them getting kicked in the balls in every episode, whereas in the first 2 seasons they'd have small victories along the way.

Oh, and Rex is a f*cki!ng moron.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »

Ugh, so I've finally caught up to season 4 and I find myself agreeing with a friend, they've gone too far from their roots, so the point where it's turning me away.

Originally the focus was on humans trying to deal with aliens, to humans killing other humans to to try to hide aliens. Season 3 and 4 practically have the same story. Season 1 and 2 could get dark, but it didn't give up on that bit of quirkiness and team dynamic. Now, it's like they're trying to turn it into 24.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »

I'm surprised to hear that some folks prefer the first two seasons.  Seasons 1 and 2 were dreadful, if you ask me.  Just truly awful stuff with only a couple of exceptions...which even then were simply mediocre.  Season 3 was fantastic.  Great story that kept folks on the edge of their seats.  Season 4 is turning out pretty good so far (as far as the story goes), as well.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »

another thing has been bothering me about the most recent episode:  Jack's actions towards the end.  I hope it's all part of a bigger master plan and it went the way he wanted it to.   I have trouble accepting that Jack could be that naive about people.

Because I can,
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2011, 02:13:31 PM

I have trouble accepting that Jack could be that naive about people.

I don't think they were going for naivete. I think, as Jack says to Danes, that he was desperate. He saw an opportunity, even a low-percentage one, and he took it. As they have pointed out multiple times, this event is massive, Torchwood, really, is gone, and Jack is the only mortal man on earth. From his point of view, what does he have to lose by trying to enlist Danes?

More, he calculation wasn't that far wrong: he was right that Danes didn't want to read the script PhiCorp gave him. What both PhiCorp and Jack underestimated, though, was just how determined/independent/messianic (at least in his own mind) Danes is becoming.

- Ash
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »

Another problem is that the same story, big coverups, big whoop. We got enough of that in Season 3.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »

Last episode felt a bit goofy. I don't know if Mekhi Pfifer is just acting really poorly, or the writing is bad, or both. The whole, "I work for the CIA, no screw that, I'm with Torchwood," was just awful.

And then the whole end where
Spoiler for Hiden:
Gwen just finds explosives lying around? And then has time to set up a huge chain reaction with no one noticing? And likely killed a ton of people?.

I also think that there aren't enough British people on the show. It sounds strange, but it just feels weird with the entire UK cast suddenly being reduced to Gwen and Rhys. And what's with all the random guest stars? Last week we got C. Thomas Howell and Mare Winningham, who appear for one episode, and then this week we got Ernie Hudson. And Pullman was completely absent.

I'm going to follow it thorugh, but I think this season pales in comparison to season 3, which I was just so impressed by.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 16, 2011, 01:59:59 PM

And then the whole end where
Spoiler for Hiden:
Gwen just finds explosives lying around? And then has time to set up a huge chain reaction with no one noticing? And likely killed a ton of people?.

yeah, that was kind of out there, but then I thought:

Spoiler for Hiden:
they have to have massive tanks of propane/whatever (or pipelines of natural gas) for the crematoriums.  plus remember, no one can die  icon_wink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »

so, along with too much of a certain side of Jack we're finally starting to get some answers.

Spoiler for Hiden:
so Jack's 1920's booty call is behind all of this?

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: