http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] The Strain  (Read 751 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »

yep, Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro's series of books has gotten a pilot order from FX.  I hope they pick it up to full series, as I loved the first book (the other two are in my backlog). 

Guillermo del Toro is bringing his vampire novel trilogy The Strain to television as a drama series, which will be run by former Lost co-showrunner Carlton Cuse. In a very competitive situation with multiple cable networks offering major commitments, FX has landed the project, ordering a pilot that will be co-written, directed and executive produced by del Toro. Co-writing the pilot script is Chuck Hogan (Prince Of Thieves), who also co-authored the books with del Toro. Lost alum Cuse will help develop the series and serve as executive producer/showrunner. Like Lost, The Strain is envisioned as having a limited run. Del Toro tells Deadline he believes the books have enough juice to fill three to five seasons of series, and that he would like to helm as many episodes as his feature schedule allows. Del Toro, Cuse and Hogan exec produce with del Toro’s long-time manager/producing partner Gary Ungar.

sounds like they'll be following the books, so the show may only last 4 seasons:

Del Toro feels that the initial book can cover a season, and same with the 2010 follow-up The Fall. The Night Eternal, which concluded the series, can be broken up into two seasons, he said. There are also subplots that didn’t make the book, and he’s leaving room for creative detours that develop in the evolution of the series.

like they say they could flesh out things more and stretch things out a bit, but I kind of like them having a set number of seasons decided beforehand.  there will be less meandering that way.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »

Oh nice. Still have to read the 3rd book but did enjoy the first two. Thought the setup was great and that should translate in to TV well. Hopefully they don't cheap out on it. I can see the series getting a pretty decent following.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »

I also have read the first two and need to finish the trilogy at some point.  I hope this gets off the ground as I'm a big del Toro fan boy.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:12:30 AM »

FX CASTS OSCAR®-NOMINATED ACTOR JOHN HURT IN THE STRAIN

Hurt Joins Previously Announced Corey Stoll, Kevin Durand, Mia Maestro, Richard Sammel, Lauren Lee Smith, Jonathan Hyde and Miguel Gomez as a Series Regular

Del Toro and Chuck Hogan Will Co-Write and Executive Produce Pilot Script with del Toro Set to Direct

Emmy® Award-Winning Writer/Producer Carlton Cuse Also Serves as Executive Producer

Production to Begin in September 2013 in Toronto

Los Angeles, 17, 2013 – FX has cast two-time Academy Award®-nominated actor John Hurt in The Strain, the pilot based on the best-selling vampire novel trilogy from Academy Award®-Winning Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and Author Chuck Hogan. Hurt joins the previously announced Corey Stoll, Kevin Durand, Mia Maestro, Richard Sammel, Lauren Lee Smith, Jonathan Hyde and Miguel Gomez.

Hurt will portray Professor “Abraham Setrakian,” a holocaust survivor who immigrated to the United States after World War II and now runs a pawn shop in Spanish Harlem. As the outbreak spreads, he may be the only one with answers – if anyone will listen.

"I am incredibly happy to be reunited with John, who is one of the greatest actors in the world and one of my favorite people ever,” said del Toro. “Chuck and I always visualized him while writing The Strain novels and he is absolutely perfect for the part!"

John Hurt is a two-time Academy Award-nominee for his indelible performances in The Elephant Man and Midnight Express. In addition to his Oscar nominations, Hurt received numerous BAFTA awards and two Golden Globe® nominations. His numerous other feature film credits include Love and Death on Long Island, Hellboy, V for Vendetta and Alien. He also portrayed Ollivander in the Harry Potter films. On television, he starred in BBC’s The Alan Clark Diaries, The Confession opposite Kiefer Sutherland, and played Warren Christopher in HBO’s Recount.

The Strain is a high concept thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Corey Stoll), the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. When Eph realizes that this isn’t some new bioterror weapon, but something much older, something outside the reach of science, he teams with Abraham to fight back. As a plague of hungry and intelligent predators overwhelms New York, Eph, Abraham and a motley crew of everyday New Yorkers form a ragtag resistance – fighting monsters in the streets and in their homes, waging a war for the fate of humanity itself.

Del Toro and Hogan will co-write the pilot script for The Strain, with del Toro attached to direct. Award-Winning Writer and Producer Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) will be an executive producer and oversee the series with del Toro. Cuse will serve as showrunner if the pilot goes to series. Hogan and Gary Ungar will also serve as Executive Producers. FX Productions will produce.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »

Yeah, that's a coup.  Hurt is an actor's actor and I always envisioned him while reading the books anyway.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »

Sean Astin joins the cast as Jim Kent.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »

FX INFECTED BY THE STRAIN

Network Orders 13 Episodes of the Drama Series Based on the Best-Selling Novels by Oscar(R) Nominee Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan Who Are Executive Producers and Co-Wrote The Pilot Which Was Directed by del Toro

Emmy(R) Award-Winning Writer/Producer Carlton Cuse Also Serves as Executive Producer, Showrunner and Writer

Series Stars Corey Stoll, Mia Maestro, Sean Astin, Kevin Durand, Natalie Brown, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet, Jack Kesy, Ben Hyland and Miguel Gomez

Production to Begin This Month in Toronto and the Series Debuts on FX in July 2014

Los Angeles, November 19, 2013 - FX has placed a 13-episode order for the drama series The Strain from Academy Award(R) nominated Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, author Chuck Hogan and writer/producer Carlton Cuse, which is based on the best-selling vampire novel trilogy of the same title written by del Toro and Hogan, it was announced today by Eric Schrier and Nick Grad, the Presidents of Original Programming for FX Networks and FX Productions.

The Strain begins production later this month in Toronto and the series is scheduled to premiere in July of 2014 on FX.

Schrier and Grad said, "We could not be more excited to be moving forward with Guillermo, Carlton and Chuck on The Strain. This is an epic story with stunning visuals and remarkable acting. The Strain totally reimagines and reinvents the genre."

Co-Creators, Executive Producers and Writers del Toro and Hogan co-wrote the pilot script for The Strain, which was directed by del Toro. Emmy(R) Award winning Writer and Producer Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) will serve as Executive Producer/Showrunner and Writer. Gary Ungar will also serve as Executive Producer. The series is produced by FX Productions.

"The Strain books are near and dear to my heart and now, Chuck and I have the blessing of a partnership with Carlton and FX that holds great promise," said del Toro. "Working with FX has yielded an amazing experience with total creative freedom and support."

Cuse added, "Working with visionary filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and the team at FX has been a dream come true for me. Guillermo's epic, cinematic pilot for The Strain starts a chilling and compelling story that will upend everything you thought you knew about vampires."

The ensemble cast stars Corey Stoll, Mia Maestro, Sean Astin, Kevin Durand, Natalie Brown, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet, Jack Kesy, Ben Hyland, and Miguel Gomez. The producers and FX Productions are recasting the role of "Professor Abraham Setrakian," which was previously held by John Hurt.

The Strain is a high concept thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Corey Stoll), the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

Writer, producer, director and novelist Guillermo del Toro has built his career on bringing fantasy and horror to vivid life. He wrote and directed the dark fairy tale Pan's Labyrinth, which garnered six Academy Award nominations, including one for del Toro for Best Writing, Original Screenplay. The film went on to win three Oscars. Named by The Hollywood Reporter as a "Master of Horror," del Toro's other film credits include Pacific Rim, Hellboy and the upcoming Crimson Peak starring Tom Hiddleston, Charlie Hunnam and Jessica Chastain.

Award-winning author Chuck Hogan co-wrote the apocalyptic vampire trilogy The Strain with del Toro. A New York Times best-selling writer, Hogan won the Hammett Prize for Excellence in crime writing for his book Prince of Thieves: A Novel, which became the basis for the Academy Award-nominated film The Town.

Showrunner Carlton Cuse is an Emmy and Peabody Award winning writer and producer, best known for the acclaimed ABC television series Lost. He was also an Executive Producer and Creator of television series Nash Bridges and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. In addition to writing and Executive Producing The Strain for FX, he developed and executive produces the A&E drama series, Bates Motel.

no John Hurt though.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »

well, lets see if this casting sticks:

DAVID BRADLEY LANDS KEY ROLE IN THE STRAIN

Bradley to Play “Professor Abraham Setrakian”

Bradley Joins Cast Starring Corey Stoll, Mia Maestro, Sean Astin, Kevin Durand, Natalie Brown, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet, Jack Kesy, Ben Hyland and Miguel Gomez

Drama Series Based on the Best-Selling Novels by Oscar® Nominee Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan Who Are Executive Producers and Co-Wrote The Pilot Which Was Directed by del Toro

Emmy® Award-Winning Writer/Producer Carlton Cuse Also Serves as Executive Producer, Showrunner and Writer

LOS ANGELES, November 21, 2013 – Acclaimed actor David Bradley has been cast in the role of “Professor Abraham Setrakian” in the FX drama series The Strain, from Academy Award® nominated filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, author Chuck Hogan and writer/producer Carlton Cuse, which is based on the best-selling vampire novel trilogy of the same title written by del Toro and Hogan.

In The Strain, “Setrakian” is a holocaust survivor who immigrated to the United States after World War II and now runs a pawn shop in Spanish Harlem. As the outbreak spreads, he may be the only one with answers – if anyone will listen. This role was previously held by John Hurt, but was recast by the producers and FX Productions.

Bradley joins an ensemble cast that features Corey Stoll, Mia Maestro, Sean Astin, Kevin Durand, Natalie Brown, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet, Jack Kesy, Ben Hyland, and Miguel Gomez.

Bradley’s notable television credits include HBO’s award-winning series Game of Thrones, the BAFTA® Award-winning BBC series Doctor Who, the acclaimed drama Broadchurch, Mount Pleasant, and The Tudors. Bradley was a mainstay in the hugely successful Harry Potter movie franchise in the role of “Argus Finch.” For his work in theater, Bradley was awarded the Laurence Olivier Theater Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in 1991 for his performance in King Lear at the Royal National Theatre.

The Strain is a high concept thriller that tells the story of “Dr. Ephraim Goodweather” (Corey Stoll), the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

The Strain, which received a series order earlier this week, begins production later this month in Toronto and the series is scheduled to premiere in July of 2014 on FX.

Co-Creators, Executive Producers and Writers del Toro and Hogan co-wrote the pilot script for The Strain, which was directed by del Toro. Emmy® Award winning Writer and Producer Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) will serve as Executive Producer/Showrunner and Writer. Gary Ungar will also serve as Executive Producer. The series is produced by FX Productions.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »

trailer  if they do 10-13 episodes I will be in.  Anymore and I tend to lost interest

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 29, 2014, 01:44:27 PM

trailer  if they do 10-13 episodes I will be in.  Anymore and I tend to lost interest

I thought they specifically mentioned it was a 13 episode order.  Do you mean if they go to a second season you wouldn't want to watch it?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 29, 2014, 05:03:30 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 29, 2014, 01:44:27 PM

I thought they specifically mentioned it was a 13 episode order.  Do you mean if they go to a second season you wouldn't want to watch it?

I'll watch it, but 20- 26 episodes in a season I tend to lose interest now.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »

I don't believe AMC or FX ever take on a series that stretches longer than a dozen or so episodes. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »

It's actually right there in the first line of the CeeKay quote  icon_razz

Network Orders 13 Episodes of the Drama Series Based on the Best-Selling Novels by Oscar(R) Nominee Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan Who Are Executive Producers and Co-Wrote The Pilot Which Was Directed by del Toro
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: