http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] The Following  (Read 3109 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 10, 2013, 02:27:54 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 08, 2013, 02:33:06 AM

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 07, 2013, 10:05:02 PM

Not at all.. just that I keep an open mind when watching these shows that more than anything, they are meant to entertain audiences. Sometimes you have to go a little farther because if you base everything as it would be in real life, it'd probably make for a pretty boring and slow show.

Even in the walking dead thread people bring up how it's "not realistic" (since when is a zombie realistic?!) of course it's not, it's fiction.

Since I don't mind it being "unrealistic" since it serves as entertainment, makes watching all the more enjoyable.

I love unrealistic.  However, I hate badly written.

Im in this camp too. I tried to like The Following, but everytime the writers write the bad guys into a corner, they just make shit up to get them out of it. The whole SWAT Team replacement and the girl sheriff were the final nail in the coffin for me. It's just sloppy writing.

I don't mind curves in storylines, but they at least need to make sense.

Given the almost fantasy-like premise of the show, I don't see how it didn't make "sense."  If you buy into the premise that this guy is a criminal mastermind/manipulator with an entire cult of followers, and has been planning his revenge/escape meticulously for years, he should have those kinds of resources.  Many moves need to have plotted out far in advance, and seeds of other plans should have been sewn in the subsequent years, ready to exploit when needed.  Basically like a well-formed terrorist organization (on a TV show).

Now what doesn't make sense is why Shawn Ashmore won't take his shirt off!!   icon_lol
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »

It's no more unrealistic to me than say, Walking Dead and it's zombies or Battlestar Galactica and their Cylons (both of which I love) watching it simply for what it's intended, as entertainment.

Having said that, show seems to be getting a lot better.

Little disappointed that Louise was killed off, not too many female villains on TV these days she was one of the few, and a good one at that.
"I don't think you have th.." BANG!  icon_frown

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 12, 2013, 08:20:54 PM

Now what doesn't make sense is why Shawn Ashmore won't take his shirt off!!   icon_lol

just for you Ritt:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 19, 2013, 04:08:24 PM

It's no more unrealistic to me than say, Walking Dead and it's zombies or Battlestar Galactica and their Cylons (both of which I love) watching it simply for what it's intended, as entertainment.

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that fiction doesn't have to be well written to be good.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »

Oh my, thanks Ceekay!  I love it, yummy hairy chest on him, I had no idea!!!   nod

- - -

Back on topic, I thought last night's episode was great.  I am really enjoying the show more and more, oddly though I continue to find all the crazy bad guys far more interesting than Kevin Bacon.  Really like Jacob, his plotline with Paul is/was one of the most romantic yet bizarre plotlines I've seen on TV.  Roderick is a hoot, can't wait to see more of his origin story.  I was trying to count how many loonies there were in the mansion, but looked like a good 30+ so that should make for plenty of fodder since they seem fine with killing off bad guys as fast as they introduce them.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »

Ceekay:  Pimp to the Stars

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 19, 2013, 05:19:33 PM

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that fiction doesn't have to be well written to be good.   icon_confused

That really just comes down to opinion. I think The Following is well written, hence.. one of the reasons why I turn in each week. (And probably part of why it was picked up for a second season so fast.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 19, 2013, 06:39:31 PM

Ceekay:  Pimp to the Stars

::bows::

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 19, 2013, 10:49:39 PM

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that fiction doesn't have to be well written to be good.   icon_confused

That really just comes down to opinion. I think The Following is well written, hence.. one of the reasons why I turn in each week. (And probably part of why it was picked up for a second season so fast.)

According to Jim was on the air for almost a decade.  Using your reasoning, it must have been written by the best scribes in existence.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »

Not sure I always agree with this, sometimes being entertaining can be enough, some books and shows are shallower and yet still fun and have their place the same is more in depth or better written shows.

Entrainment is what matters and that always seems to be where critics fall down, entertainment value but some can at times just be ignored.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »

That I can understand.  I liked American Horror Story: Asylum this season because it was so over the top that I just couldn't wait to see what would happen next.  I'll be the first to admit that the writing wasn't exactly stellar, but I was entertained all the same.  

But I still disagree that The Following is a well written, which was the assertion by some.  And that it should be excused for being badly written simply because it's fiction.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »

I did actually LOL'd at one of the scenes at the end with the bad-ass blonde getting cornered by KB. Spoilered just in case...

Spoiler for the showdown:
"Drop the weapon!"

"And if I don't?"  (turns slowly around with gun over head)

"Then I will shoot you dead."

"I don't think you have the"

<bang! bang! bang!>

(walks away)
icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 20, 2013, 01:05:44 PM

That I can understand.  I liked American Horror Story: Asylum this season because it was so over the top that I just couldn't wait to see what would happen next.  I'll be the first to admit that the writing wasn't exactly stellar, but I was entertained all the same.  

But I still disagree that The Following is a well written, which was the assertion by some.  And that it should be excused for being badly written simply because it's fiction

You seem to have some very fixed notion of "well written."  Personally I think there are a lot of different categories in how well something is written, and in the case of a TV show, how it is produced, edited and acted all plays into it as well.  There's overall plot, plot pacing, characters (including likability), character development, dialog, believability, consistency... just off the top of my head.  I think this show succeeds in about half of these categories, for me anyway.  For an example of a show that I felt was truly badly written, I go to the last seasons of Heroes, where they failed in just about every category I listed.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2013, 08:14:04 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 20, 2013, 07:52:27 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 20, 2013, 01:05:44 PM

But I still disagree that The Following is a well written, which was the assertion by some.  And that it should be excused for being badly written simply because it's fiction

You seem to have some very fixed notion of "well written."  Personally I think there are a lot of different categories in how well something is written, and in the case of a TV show, how it is produced, edited and acted all plays into it as well.  There's overall plot, plot pacing, characters (including likability), character development, dialog, believability, consistency... just off the top of my head.  I think this show succeeds in about half of these categories, for me anyway.  For an example of a show that I felt was truly badly written, I go to the last seasons of Heroes, where they failed in just about every category I listed.

While I consider the last two seasons of Heroes to be an apt comparison to the writing on The Following.

Enjoy the show because it entertains you. More power to you and I'm happy you're enjoying it.  But please don't try to convince me it's well written entertainment.  

p.s. I think the reason I'm so annoyed by this show is that I truly expected it to be good.  The commercials leading up to its premiere seemed to promise a gritty, psychological thriller with depth.  I don't feel it's delivered on that promise though.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:28:38 PM by hepcat » Logged

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 11:36:11 PM »

Don't think anyone's trying to convince you of anything, but rather just that we all have different opinions. As I said, my opinion is that The Following, as a work of pure fiction, is well written. I look at it as entertainment and nothing more. If I want realism I'll go watch cops.
Obviously there's quite a few others in that same boat as the show marches on to season 2. Remember this is FOX we are talking about - they will drop a show in a heart beat if it's not performing up to their standards.

On the flip side of that coin, I know some people don't like the show.. no problem at all, but when you say it's "badly written" it doesn't mean it's a fact, it's just one person's opinion. One I'm fine with and completely respect. There were even some people out there who didn't like Firefly, if you can believe that.

I just interjected my reasoning why *I* personally like the show.

And FYI, According to Jim was one of my favorite sitcoms (second to the Bundy's!) so it just goes to show we all have different tastes.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2013, 12:19:57 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 20, 2013, 11:36:11 PM

And FYI, According to Jim was one of my favorite sitcoms (second to the Bundy's!) so it just goes to show we all have different tastes.

icon_eek  I can't even begin to relate.  It's probably best if I avoid debating quality tv with you after finding that out.   icon_wink

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 20, 2013, 11:36:11 PM

You just lost 5,000,000 points in this debate for that comment. Putting Jim anywhere near Married is an insult to everyone, including kittens.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »

Good thing I started out with 250,000,000 points then otherwise I might be worried!

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »

Off the topic of The Following but on the topic of Jim Belushi, he wrote a bizarre piece for a newspaper a while back that essentially tells everyone that putting a woman in her place is the best way to keep a marriage strong.  It's a fascinating look at what I can only view as the inner mind of a socially stunted human being.  If it were parody or satire, I could understand and would laugh...but apparently this is how he really feels.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 22, 2013, 02:18:01 PM

Off the topic of The Following but on the topic of Jim Belushi, he wrote a bizarre piece for a newspaper a while back that essentially tells everyone that putting a woman in her place is the best way to keep a marriage strong.  It's a fascinating look at what I can only view as the inner mind of a socially stunted human being.  If it were parody or satire, I could understand and would laugh...but apparently this is how he really feels.

The downfall of american society started when women began clamoring for rights.  Once we lost the barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen dynamic, everything went to hell.  Look at it now, we have women voting, working and demanding equal pay, even running for president!  We may as well burn it all down and start over because theres no saving us now!   slywink

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »

been watching this on Netflix, just finished the 6th episode and finding it decent but a bit predictable.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2013, 04:37:58 AM

been watching this on Netflix, just finished the 6th episode and finding it decent but a bit predictable.

The honeymoon should be ending soon.  This show crashed and burned very quickly.  I'm curious to see if they learned from their mistakes (and mistakes were made...The Following is on a lot of "worst of 2013" lists) and will right the ship in the second season. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 07:04:48 PM »

Spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
The way it ended I thought it was a one season thing.  Now I'm seeing previews for a 2nd season, and I'm thinking how?   And do I want to watch it?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »

Even Under the Dome got a second season.  That was a critical flop, but for some reason it was a ratings hit in its time slot for ABC.  Audiences are odd sometimes.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 30, 2013, 07:09:40 PM

Even Under the Dome got a second season.  That was a critical flop, but for some reason it was a ratings hit in its time slot for ABC.  Audiences are odd sometimes.

Under the Dome was a summer show, so it didn't have as high a bar or much competition at all.  And it was on CBS  slywink
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 03:43:28 AM »

The Following had plenty of flaws but there was also some pretty good stuff in there as well.  If they can learn from season 1, as Hepcat said, season 2 may be worth watching. 

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2014, 11:53:48 PM »

Loved Season 1, so watching Season 2 is a given.

I'm hoping somehow Joe survived.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2014, 04:17:54 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 03, 2014, 11:53:48 PM

Loved Season 1, so watching Season 2 is a given.

I'm hoping somehow Joe survived.

Seeing as how Joe was the best part of the series, Im pretty sure you can count on him being back.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »

I figured Joe was dead because Kevin Bacon said he was on Jay Leno at the end of season 1..  but Jay calls him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbIMYagg4s

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 06:19:39 PM »

Maybe he made a series of videos before he died telling his female protege exactly what to do.  Then she will capture Kevin Bacon and Shawn Ashmore and have them chop each others' legs off.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »

So this is coming on after the NFC championship.  Be sure to adjust your DVR's accordingly. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2014, 12:16:28 AM »

I guess TV Guide pretty much announced he was still alive.  I thought maybe he was still dead and they'd use the actor in a different way (evil twin, face clone, etc).
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:28 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 14, 2014, 06:19:39 PM

Maybe he made a series of videos before he died telling his female protege exactly what to do.  Then she will capture Kevin Bacon and Shawn Ashmore and have them chop each others' legs off.

They borrowed a little from 24 in Season 1, so why not some from Saw for Season 2?

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 05:04:23 AM »

Season 2 off to a good start.

Looks like we can throw the Saw idea out the window.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 20, 2014, 05:04:23 AM

Season 2 off to a good start.

Looks like we can throw the Saw idea out the window.

Yeah I was completely caught off guard by the first 5-10 minutes.  And by some of the new characters as well  icon_eek  Looks promising (if you like your shows a little demented like I do).
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »

I really enjoy the pacing on this show, they really keep you on your toes.  As we discussed last season, it's probably best not to think too much about the actual plot elements, but just sit back and let yourself get involved.

It's interesting to see multiple factions of the Carroll Cult and how disorganized it all is right now.  It will be more difficult to create the atmosphere of the bad guys being so far ahead of the good guys with this kind of setup, so it should be interesting to see if/how they can generate suspense.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2014, 11:21:31 PM »

Anyone still following (pun intended)?

I think the show is getting close to losing me, though I suspect I'll stick with it just because I love Shawn Ashmore.  I had high hopes for the new cast of crazies they introduced, only to see that all completely thrown out the window.  I guess they are going for a 24 style of sub-plotting?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »

I had heard it had improved so I caught the first few episodes.  I rather liked what they had done with Joe for the first few episodes.  I would have stuck with it if they'd continued down that path, with Bacon going slowly mad with his obsession.  But they soon went back to the same old formula from season 1 so I'm out.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »

OK this show is totally off the rails but they got me back on board last night.  More lunatics than you can shake a stick at and Jacinda Barrett (I still remember her from the Real World) as a badass cult leader?  WTF? 

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »

Renewed for a third season.  thumbsup

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: