http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:20:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] The Event  (Read 4896 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:08 AM »

finally caught up and watched this weeks episode(we are still a week behind you guys)

yeah Sean you really don't know do you,you dumb bastard Tongue

I was looking on Wiki at the list of episodes for it and May 16th episode(ep 21) is entitled 'The Beginning of the End',they don't have any episodes listed after that as of yet,but it does say the Season Finale will be on May 23rd..and if the episode before that one is called 'The Beginning of The End',perhaps the last episode will just simply be called 'The End'...and may be the closing of the show all together like what has been rumoured,no doubt the decision will be made after the last show has broadcast,so i am sure it will be left open somehow,and yet also hopefully have a satisfying ending/closure

that episode i just watched got 4.6million viewers in the U.S.,last weeks episode got 3.8 million,i guess not everyone realised the show was back on after that week off icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 03, 2011, 01:08:08 AM

yeah Sean you really don't know do you,you dumb bastard Tongue

I just love his puppy dog eye looks.  And then the look she gives him back like you are such a stupid dumb bastard, why am I so hot for you.  Honestly that's my favorite part of the show.  Fate of the planet?  meh.  Just give me some hot/bad romance lol.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2011, 12:26:59 AM »

just saw a commercial for this while watching the recording of Monday night's Chuck and they said 'only 4 episodes left'.  not 'only 4 episodes left until the season finale' so I'm thinking they've already canceled it and haven't announced anything yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2011, 12:26:59 AM

just saw a commercial for this while watching the recording of Monday night's Chuck and they said 'only 4 episodes left'.  not 'only 4 episodes left until the season finale' so I'm thinking they've already canceled it and haven't announced anything yet.
Ding, ding, ding. You are correct, sir!  icon_frown

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/13/nbc-cancels-the-event/
NBC is passing on picking up its sci-fi action-drama for another round.

Though the series about aliens covertly living among us started strongly for the network, it faded gradually in the ratings and, after its winter hiatus, fell below the line. Event averaged 7.4 million viewers and a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating once you add in DVR use, which just wasn’t enough for a costly and serialized show. On the other hand, Chuck just got a pickup.
Since NBC did renew Parenthood, where Jason Ritter had an occasional role as Lauren Graham's high-school teacher sort-of boyfriend, perhaps Ritter can return to that a bit next season for his day-job.

I recall he did a brief appearance in one of Parenthood's last episodes this season.

I can't help thinking "The Event" might've worked better as a limited run mini-series, sort of like the original V mini-series back in the 1980s.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:48:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2011, 05:53:48 PM »

and off my DVR it goes.  I haven't seen this weeks episode yet, not much point in actually watching it now.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2011, 05:53:48 PM

and off my DVR it goes.  I haven't seen this weeks episode yet, not much point in actually watching it now.

oh c'mon Ck,it only has 3 episodes left(well 2 for you guys)..the last episode is listed now on wiki

it's called
Spoiler for Hiden:
'Arrival'

hmmm

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »

meh, no use in watching it for the clfifhanger.  I knew the cancellation was coming so I kept on putting off watching it.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2011, 06:07:44 PM »

My favorite thing about The Event was that I could watch the first, middle, and final five minutes of every episode and stay perfectly abreast of everything going on.  It was the perfect thing to watch while vacuuming, cooking, or escaping commercials in a better show!

-Autistic Angel
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2011, 06:59:55 AM »

NBC really should have told them earlier about the cancellation so they could have crafted a series finale.  Given the ratings, there was no way they were going to renew it, so why wait so long to announce it?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:33 AM »

Producers in talks to continue Season 2 elsewhere
http://entertainment.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979323340

elsewhere as in....Netflix?
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-event-renewed-season-two-19917/

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2011, 02:16:47 AM »

I quit watching when they took the huge break.  At that point I figured that, like FastForward last year, The event committed hiatuside.  Why networks think its a good idea to put a serial type show on a 3 month mid season break baffles me. This is especially bad with shows in the Sci-fi genre, as they have a rough survival rate to begin with.  I was sure that The Event was toast once it came back, so I decided to waste no more time on it.
 I posted a bit about netflix picking this up in the 2011 Tv thread but that article made it seem very doubtful it would happen.  If it does, then Ill check it out then.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »

Taylor Cole is so hot. I could watch her all day.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »

Quote from: Jag on May 17, 2011, 01:43:06 PM

Taylor Cole is so hot. I could watch her all day.

Who?...oh,her Tongue
Spoiler for Hiden:

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on May 17, 2011, 02:16:47 AM

I quit watching when they took the huge break.  At that point I figured that, like FastForward last year, The event committed hiatuside.  Why networks think its a good idea to put a serial type show on a 3 month mid season break baffles me.
Amen!

I think the hiatus makes sense for established shows or non-serial story shows were 6-8 weeks off doesn't leave you trying to remember storylines and characters and such. imho it makes no sense at all for a rookie, serial story show like The Event that was doing OK in the ratings but not a worldbeater -- it needed to keep whatever momentum it had.

I enjoyed the first few episodes of the show but I had this dread that once they finally had to pull back the curtain and reveal the mysteries (ew, aliens!), my interest would go out the window and it did. imho, a lot of "high concept" shows in the post-Lost era have this "wow, wouldn't it be neat if BLANK" template but often they don't seem to give much thought to where to take the show from there. Sometimes they panic when the ratings sink, change showrunners, executive producers etc. A lot of those types of shows end up "one season and out."

Which goes back to my idea that why don't the networks just commission some limited "mega mini series" shows where it's designed as a 12-16-20 whatever episode series from the get-go (more in line with what most British series do). Maybe that makes no sense, but it's probably no worse than pulling the rug out from under all these high concept shows after 1 season.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:10:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 17, 2011, 05:08:25 PM

Which goes back to my idea that why don't the networks just commission some limited "mega mini series" shows where it's designed as a 12-16-20 whatever episode series from the get-go (more in line with what most British series do). Maybe that makes no sense, but it's probably no worse than pulling the rug out from under all these high concept shows after 1 season.

AMC seems to be doing this with recent shows like The Killer and the upcoming western Hell on Wheels (I think that's the name?)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »

I can't explain why, but I really enjoyed last night's episode, and it looks like the finale is revving up to be pretty cool and deliver some answers.  At minimum I hope they finally explain to us the "we were here first, we want the planet back" stuff.  The guys at work and I were all wondering if they had forgotten they had showed us that in the commercials; it was certainly one of the more intriguing ideas.  And of course we should finally get to see the actual "event" which I guess is the aliens coming? 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »

So that's it?!?!  Talk about a tease finale!

Spoiler for Hiden:
The planet special effects were decent but how is it that gravitational forces are not just ripping up both planets? And WTF about them being here first?  It's all on the scroll, my ass!  More like it's all not thought out yet and we're getting cancelled anyway lol. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »

I'd given up on the show months ago, but did watch some of the finale. I didn't understand the final image at all, but again, I'd been out of the loop for a while. Was that supposed to be the "home planet" or something?

I hope Jason Ritter gets to return to his supporting role as a high school teacher in Parenthood. I read a producer interview where they said the show was very open to that if he was interested.

I'm trying to find a list of all the new shows this season that got canceled. Many were half-season (usually 12-13 episode) shows (Chicago Code, Mad Love, Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, etc.); you could say The Event was lucky to get a full season although I can't help thinking the show might've done better as a focused half-season, rather than a full season whose ratings appear to have tanked after the dreaded winter hiatus. I might actually be interested in the DVD set of this once it's out -- maybe I could better get into it in that form.

If they weren't all by different studios (making a DVD compilation difficult if not impossible), I'd think a "Canceled Shows of 2010-2011" would make an excellent DVD box set.  tear

Here's an overall 2010-2011 canceled TV series list ("NEW" seems to mean newly added to the list, rather than shows new for this season)
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cancelled-tv-shows-2010-2011-18992/
*It's a 4-part list, rest of links are at bottom of that one.

I didn't realize NBC decided to "burn off" remaining episodes of Chase on Saturdays, I'd thought those were repeats. I think it'd be cool if they did some marathon of The Event episodes at some point.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:07:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 25, 2011, 06:00:15 PM

I'd given up on the show months ago, but did watch some of the finale. I didn't understand the final image at all, but again, I'd been out of the loop for a while. Was that supposed to be the "home planet" or something?

Yes, in spite of their whining about their technology being limited, somehow they were able to teleport their ENTIRE F-ING PLANET (which was being decomposed by radiation in apparently only 1 area, I guess it didn't rotate) into a spot somewhere between our planet and the moon, in a way that the gravitational pulls wouldn't destroy anything.  Pretty nifty trick!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »

Can I confirm that:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The President's wife called the planet "home" at the end? So she was one of them all along? If so, I'm assuming she was anti-sophia.

They did end it nicely. Wrapping up that story arc while leaving plenty of ideas on the table for future seasons. I admit I was intrigued on what exactly "The Event" is the way Simon described it.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »

Ok question...I have 9 episodes on my dvr.

Skip to the end or watch all the eps?  I am a kind of fan-- enuf that I have not deleted them.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2011, 12:02:30 AM »

Quote from: walTer on May 25, 2011, 11:39:00 PM

Ok question...I have 9 episodes on my dvr.

Skip to the end or watch all the eps?  I am a kind of fan-- enuf that I have not deleted them.

How much extra time do you have on your hands?  The pacing of the show picks up dramatically in the final episodes, but they also seem to do whatever they feel like with plot points and characterization.  There are some OK moments, but also you should know you'll be getting very little resolution.  If you feel semi-invested in the main characters (Jason Ritter and his girlfriend), you might want to see how things turn out.  Otherwise there are tons of better/old shows out there to watch.  Like Taken or the 4400.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »

Heh, all caught up on taken and 4400...

*semi-invested*...that IS me.  And eh, Eureka doesn't start until July...so I think I will watch em.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2011, 06:41:46 AM »

I really enjoyed the whole season.  It was a well-done mix of the kinds of shows I like (the action of 24, the mythology of Lost, with a sci-fi bent) with a really good cast.  I really don't see it happening, but I'd love to see it get another season.

Quote from: Jag on May 25, 2011, 08:55:11 PM

Can I confirm that:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The President's wife called the planet "home" at the end? So she was one of them all along? If so, I'm assuming she was anti-sophia.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's what she said.  It would have been nice to see how the president would have reacted to the news and how the fact that his child is half-alien would have affected his views on them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »

Ok, one question that will probably never get answered since I don't think it's coming back

Spoiler for Hiden:
If they have the technology to make FTL spaceships and use a wormhole to move their entire planet why didn't they just find another sun like ours and park their planet in a normal Earth orbit.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2011, 02:58:52 AM »

Quote from: ericb on May 29, 2011, 02:10:27 PM

Ok, one question that will probably never get answered since I don't think it's coming back

Spoiler for Hiden:
If they have the technology to make FTL spaceships and use a wormhole to move their entire planet why didn't they just find another sun like ours and park their planet in a normal Earth orbit.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Presumably, they wanted to return to Earth because it was their home.  Also, there's the "Event" that was supposed to lead to their evolution, and it sounds like that would have required them to be on Earth for it occur.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2011, 04:29:09 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 30, 2011, 02:58:52 AM

Quote from: ericb on May 29, 2011, 02:10:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Presumably, they wanted to return to Earth because it was their home.  Also, there's the "Event" that was supposed to lead to their evolution, and it sounds like that would have required them to be on Earth for it occur.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of the plot elements were just thrown together on the fly.  If the writers had a fully fleshed out backstory that they intended to reveal over time, I would love to hear what it was.  But my guess is that just like with Heroes and V and some other recent misfires, they just had people drawing up whatever they could to make for one cool scene or one cool moment.  It's always bad news when you hear a show is being pulled to be "retooled" - generally it means some inane producer has decided there's not enough action, so the show comes back with tons of action and devoid of thought.

This is getting to be my biggest pet peeve with a lot of these TV show producers.  They seem to think their audience will just forget things that were said before, or ignore things that make no sense or are completely inconsistent with elements they established themselves.  Aren't they supposed to keep some sort of "bible" with all the history and such to reference? 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: