http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 12:05:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (TV) The Colony - Post Apoc. Survival  (Read 1092 times)
Pharaoh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »

Anyone catch this badboy on Discovery last night?

I loved it personally. A social experiment more than a reality show, the survivors have a good catalog of talents (minus the personal instructor and ex convict), and I love they hired bike gangs to act as marauders to try to steal supplies and threaten them. Previews seem to show that their 10 week experiment has things devolve into Road Warrior territory with junkcars, and firebombs. LoL...gotta love it.

Tuesday Nights, Discovery Channel.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/colony.html
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »

You couldn't have told us beforehand?  Tongue. Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »

Not sure when we'll get it in Canada, but it sounds similar to Pioneer Quest where the people had to live for a year like Pioneers did and encounter the same harsh conditions.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 22, 2009, 09:41:57 PM

You couldn't have told us beforehand?  Tongue. Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out.

I agree... I vote for thread FAIL due to poor timing..... Going to DVR this now...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:20:23 AM »

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of those BBC/PBS shows where they toss people into a different time period.

I love that they have outsiders attacking right from the get go.  However, I do hope that they introduce outsiders that try and infiltrate the camp by posing as another group of survivors. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
When they introduced the other group of four, some of the initial group were extremely cautious and not welcoming at all, while another bunch were very quick to say "Oh, come on in, good to have you" and chastised the cautious people.  I bet if another bunch came in, then stole a whole mess of food in the night, everyone would suddenly be much less welcoming.

Since the producers seem to be happy to mess with the survivors, I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.  Here's hoping it lives up to its promise.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »

My wife and I saw this the other night and loved it.. This is a new and interesting take on reality shows. Can't wait for the new episodes....

One thing I am wondering though...
Spoiler for Hiden:
How far will they allow the people to go in defending themselves. It looks like they are making a flame thrower! I am sure that they could also come up with some sort of projectile launcher as well.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »

Michael is going to drive me nuts. "Those stupid people with their letters after their name, they don't know anything!" *30 minutes later* "Well, ya, their invention worked, but they are still stupid and now they think they'll be right.

Umm, hey buddy, when you admit you can't read and don't "spell so good", you should probably listen to the engineers. icon_biggrin
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »

I haven't seen yesterday's yet, but even in the first one, Michael was annoying....
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 07:34:36 PM »

From Michaels bio

For someone with limited education, he’s quite opinionated. Michael is a conspiracy theorist and complete pessimist. He claims, "I always knew there was something wrong with the world", "Nancy Pelosi is the anti-Christ", and "the space program wasn’t for exploration," implying it was to armor space for World War III.

Just a little hiccup.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on July 29, 2009, 07:34:36 PM

From Michaels bio

For someone with limited education, he’s quite opinionated. Michael is a conspiracy theorist and complete pessimist. He claims, "I always knew there was something wrong with the world", "Nancy Pelosi is the anti-Christ", and "the space program wasn’t for exploration," implying it was to armor space for World War III.

Wow. So these are the types of people we have to deal with after the apocalypse...... I think Michael should be sent out for some supplies...alone.....

I wonder if he will bring anything to the group that's needed...
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:28:03 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on July 29, 2009, 08:36:34 PM

Quote from: Hiccup on July 29, 2009, 07:34:36 PM

From Michaels bio

Wow. So these are the types of people we have to deal with after the apocalypse...... I think Michael should be sent out for some supplies...alone.....

I wonder if he will bring anything to the group that's needed...

I think his perspective is valuable. Sometimes the school of hard knocks is a great teacher. Believing in the boogeyman isn't exactly crazy, afterall, look how many people believe in religious stories. I think his skepticism and pessimism help focus the other people... Guys like that are good for chemistry, you can't have a real hivemind and find every solution, afterall.
Also, the guy gave up smoking to be on the show, I think he's kicking ass if that's how nasty he can get.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »

Turned it off halfway through the first show. Its actors playing a reality show. Are they really going to use those pipes when someone tries to break in? They are doing a good job of acting like it's real, but I can't help but to think they are playing it up because they know it's not real. And the "experts" comments just made it even more annoying.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:44:11 AM by Lee » Logged
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 01:33:18 AM »

That was my problem as well. I wondered right away how much 'reality' was even in that show.

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:13 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 30, 2009, 01:33:18 AM

That was my problem as well. I wondered right away how much 'reality' was even in that show.

-Crusis

Not much.  I understand they don't want people blowing themselves up but it does take away from it when they flash the big disclaimer about how they recieve off screen help from experts.  But I would rather them be truthfull about stuff like that.  I still found the wood gasifier extremely awesome and had no idea you could do that.  I'm not into the "story" that much but I do find some of the projects quite interesting.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 02:35:37 PM »

I took the offscreen disclaimer to mean that if that gasifier was in any real danger of blowing up and killing them all, then the experts would have stopped them from lighting it.

I agree that I wonder how far they'd really go to defend themselves.  They may not have been told that the marauders wouldn't hurt them, but they have to be thinking it, so would they really bash someone with a pipe?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wonder what the hell they're thinking with the truck.  They know damn well that they're not going to drive someplace else.  I'm betting that the producers told them that they should maybe plan on making an escape, and maybe told that one guy to push for it.  Seems like their efforts could be better spent elsewhere.

Michael is definitely a dick, but he's not wrong about a good amount of stuff.  The problem is that he seems to want to be the martyr ("Oh, I'll take the first long shift like always"), and that's going to get annoying. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
It was nice to see Vlad knock the bearded know-it-all hippie professor guy down a few notches.  Beardy definitely wants to be the leader and the smartest kid in the room, and I don't think he's quite accepted that in this situation, he may not be either of those things.

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 01:08:03 AM »

I agree its somewhat annoying events are staged, but I enjoy that they tried to place these scenarios ahead of time. TV show or not, you spend multiple nights sleeping on a crate in an abandoned warehouse with strangers, you are going to start going Mad Max.

If anything, I view it as a spiritual sequel to Junkyard Wars, at the most, a amazingly well funded geek experiment.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 02:40:16 AM »

I think the disclaimer is mostly because a lot of people complained when it was found out that those survivor man type shows received help and it wasn't mentioned. Pretty much all "reality" shows have people to help.
I think Chaz is correct, it is mostly for emergencies that they help or if it looks like the people are really about to blow themselves up.

I don't think anything is added to the warehouse that wasnt there at the beginning, just the outside stuff.
Spoiler for Hiden:
As for Michael, I saw this week's episode and yes he is a dick, and yes he is trying to be a martyr, and yes he does have some useful things to say, but I think that if this was real, he would be on the way to being banished or killed by now. Take the gasifier thing (which is really neat and something I'll have to file away for the real apocolypse). He kept making a scene and saying they had a bomb and saying that just because they have engineering PHD's they think they know what they are doing....and then it does end up working and he's like, oh ok, so they got one thing working, what now?....He's a dick... I was sooo hoping his part would keep failing.... If the chip on his shoulder was a generator, they could light the city up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: