http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 12:07:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Terra Nova - Cancelled!  (Read 5087 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »

Well thx to Baseball my DVR missed 50 minutes of this last night and as far as I know Fox doesn't plan on re-airing it for the east coast. I bet that's the death shot for this series.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 11, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

Well thx to Baseball my DVR missed 50 minutes of this last night and as far as I know Fox doesn't plan on re-airing it for the east coast. I bet that's the death shot for this series.

I found out the same thing when I wanted to watch the episode later in the night...definitely not good for ratings when you postpone your big new show at a time when you really need to retain viewers.  I checked Fox's website last night and they do stream the episodes for free after they air, but they don't put new ones up for eight days (unless you subscribe to Dish Network, in which case you can get then next-day).

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 01:00:51 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 12, 2011, 12:38:56 AM

Quote from: Scraper on October 11, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

I found out the same thing when I wanted to watch the episode later in the night...definitely not good for ratings when you postpone your big new show at a time when you really need to retain viewers.  I checked Fox's website last night and they do stream the episodes for free after they air, but they don't put new ones up for eight days (unless you subscribe to Dish Network, in which case you can get then next-day).

oh shazbot, I bet I'll find the same thing.  of course I record House right after it, so I'll probably get all of Terra Nova and miss most of House.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2011, 03:02:30 AM »

I came hime just in time to record everything on fox until 1AM to be safe.. Caught TR and House...
Really hate when they do that and it would be great if Tivo could figure out a way to auto catch that.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2011, 03:07:51 AM »

At least it's on hulu
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2011, 03:34:33 AM »

Deleted off my DVR, just didn't feel like watching the second episode.  I'm sure I should have given it more time but time I don't have at the moment.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »

So if you go here it's vague, but in the top left it says "Sat 9/8c Sat 15, if no baseball" so I wonder if that means they are going to try and replay episode 3 on Saturday?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 12, 2011, 01:50:02 PM

So if you go here it's vague, but in the top left it says "Sat 9/8c Sat 15, if no baseball" so I wonder if that means they are going to try and replay episode 3 on Saturday?

yep, it's on their schedule too.  no mention of a House repeat, I guess I'll have to wait until Tuesday to catch it online.

it was an OK episode, nothing really stood out about it.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »

Well, I guess you guys ought to start pulling for Texas to win in 5, as Game 6 is scheduled for Saturday.  Tongue

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »

Meh, you didn't miss much if you missed the 3rd episode. It was alright... I should know better than to give network tv chances.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »

Agreed. That episode was a let down.

Here's my unspecific semi-no spoiler recap of why the episode sucked:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The setting was basically a typically Star Trek episode plot with a virus causing amnesia, fear of  the virus spreading and a core team trying to find a way to stop it before it kills them. However they somehow butchered any tension gained from the setup, threw in a bunch of stupid stuff, and made the cure so obvious early on that by the time they figure it out near the very end you wonder how these people could be in the medical profession.

That said the guitar made an appearance and there was some strumming.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »

That's funny I was thinking the same thing about that last episode, that it was was like a bad Star Trek episode.  I hope this one was just a dud relative to the rest of season 1.     
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »

Wikipedia is showing Michelle Rodriguez as having an unknown upcoming role. Wonder if she got lost?

Have to admit I'm really enjoying this show. With so many tv shows out there, the only 2 I'm currently watching are this and Walking Dead. Spartacus will be a given when it returns in January.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »

The family-friendly network-tv simplicity is hard for me to swallow. There's just enough of an ongoing mystery to keep me watching, but the whole ozzie & harriet thing is really cloying. I keep hoping that dinosaurs will eat some of the children, but I'm not optimistic.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »

I'm officially done with this show. The characters are just not grabbing me at all. They seem painfully one dimensional. Teen Angst kid, teen smart always trying to get approval kid, stupid little girl, super in charge and smart doctor mom, captain tough guy who can solve any issue (and that's just the main family) don't get me started on the bar owner who is a rip off of several star trek bar owners.

Braga's influence on this show is apparent through and through. It feels like Star Trek, but not in space, and without the good characters.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:46:39 PM by Scraper » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »

for me t's been relegated to background noise while I do other things.  I keep expecting to see the announcement that it has been canceled, and I wonder how much having Spielberg's name attached to it is helping it avoid that from FOX.

of course there are only 6 episodes left in the season (they only ordered 13 and the season finale is December 19th) so they are probably already in the can and will be shown no matter what.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »

I keep falling asleep during this show lol, but I'm still trying to see it through.  I read it had a good chance of being picked up for next year.  I think the upcoming episode might start (hopefully) turning things around, with more Sixer and future stuff plotline development.  But that could just be wishful thinking.

In terms of the characters, I blame casting as much as writing.  The main lead is OK as is the general guy.  As I mentioned earlier, though, for some reason I feel a complete disconnect between Jim and his wife, and in spite of the little things they've tried to do, it really seems like a chemistry disconnect.  I can't say there's anything wrong with the actress that plays the wife, but I think it's a role they could have done drastically better with in casting.  I'm thinking Morena Baccharin, Julie Benz, Moon Bloodgood, someone with some sci-fi "cred" would have gone a long way in that key role.  If at all possible, I also would have tried to get Michelle Rodriguez for the second in command role (btw heard she is going to be in the new Resident Evil movie, hooray!  Yes I realize she died in movie 1 but who cares) or as leader of the Sixers.  And for the general's son, there must be a bevy of semi-popular out-of-work sci-fi guys they could have chosen from.  The 3 kids are probably a lost cause but with a stronger lead cast, it might not have mattered.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2011, 12:10:35 AM »

This last episode kinda reminded me of a bad move on the Syfy network.   

There are so many things wrong with this show and the writing it's getting hard to watch.   I would be shocked to see it continue after this season.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2011, 02:27:42 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 21, 2011, 12:10:35 AM

This last episode kinda reminded me of a bad move on the Syfy network.   

There are so many things wrong with this show and the writing it's getting hard to watch.   I would be shocked to see it continue after this season.

The show is way too family friendly.  Im sure they felt it would gain some kind of broad appeal that way but the kids are so cliche that its beyond ridiculous.  The Sixers are characterless Mad Max rejects who seems to have an endless supply of hair gel to spike themselves up.  The relationship between the mom and dad is so poorly written that any chemistry between them is purely accidental.  The only saving grace to the series is Stephen Lang and he cant carry such a broad scope of a series by himself.  This is a show that by trying to appeal to everybody ends up appealing to nobody.  Its too bad really, the premise had promise.  they were just too afraid to make the show exciting and edgy enough to be worth watching. 

I was checking out the bubble report on TV series and there are very few new shows that stand a chance of seeing a 2nd season.  Terra Nova is on the likely to be cancelled list.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2011, 02:58:16 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 21, 2011, 02:27:42 AM

The show is way too family friendly.  ...  This is a show that by trying to appeal to everybody ends up appealing to nobody.  Its too bad really, the premise had promise.  they were just too afraid to make the show exciting and edgy enough to be worth watching. 

Well said, that's what I've been trying to get across in my past couple posts. I think that being on broadcast TV is largely to blame for the fear of edginess. It's all very safe and formulaic, like Little House in the Cretaceous.

I'll keep watching this season just out of inertia; I don't record very many other shows. But my expectations are low.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »

Gearing up for the finale - last night's ep was decent, I guess.  Finale looks promising.

My question is, though, why not just destroy the stupid stargate?  I mean if the goal is to start a new society, etc anyway, and the threat of mega-forces jumping in is imminent, I'd just knock that thing down and be done with it.  Take my chances with the dinos.  Those Future peeps would sure feel stupid on the other side lol.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2011, 10:05:32 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on December 13, 2011, 09:24:02 PM

My question is, though, why not just destroy the stupid stargate?  I mean if the goal is to start a new society, etc anyway, and the threat of mega-forces jumping in is imminent, I'd just knock that thing down and be done with it.  Take my chances with the dinos.  Those Future peeps would sure feel stupid on the other side lol.

I'm guessing because not everyone deserves to be stranded in the crappy future.  maybe they could devise a douchebag detector that shuttles anyone who sets it off back to the Cryptic era.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:36 AM »

While Terra Nova has been far from perfect, I think they did a pretty good job with tonight's finale...good enough that I'm glad to have stuck with the show through its weaker points.  They wrapped up this season's major plotline nicely, left a couple interesting story threads open for the future, and gave us a pretty big tease of new things to come in the next season.  While I still think they should cut out some of the cheesy family drama, the rest of the show is good enough that I'll be coming back for more when the show restarts.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2011, 03:33:55 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 20, 2011, 03:14:36 AM

While Terra Nova has been far from perfect, I think they did a pretty good job with tonight's finale...good enough that I'm glad to have stuck with the show through its weaker points.  They wrapped up this season's major plotline nicely, left a couple interesting story threads open for the future, and gave us a pretty big tease of new things to come in the next season.  While I still think they should cut out some of the cheesy family drama, the rest of the show is good enough that I'll be coming back for more when the show restarts.

I agree, it did get better the last few episodes.  I saw an article on SyFy today that said there was serious consideration at Fox to renew the series.
Regarding the finale.  It definitely had more of an edge to it than the rest of the series.   Just one thing, when you capture the most dangerous psychopath in the entire known cosmos, why would you leave him in the custody of a teen aged girl? 
 as far as the ending reveal. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
  There a lot of ways they could go with that from the time rift bringing stuff through from various periods in time, to them actually being in the distant future instead of the past and the world has renewed itself.  I hope they give the show a chance to tell its story.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2011, 06:24:12 AM »

Because that "teenager" is really 26? I love how so many shows have late 20s and early 30s people playing as high school kids. Damon (from Vampire Diaries) could easily pass off as a senior in HS even though he's 33 or something in real life.
Saved by the bell is about the only show I've seen where people where really their age, and the setting changed when their ages did to reflect a more realistic environment.

Back on topic, though the season finale ended very well. Even though it's definitely a family show, there's still enough action (I didn't expect Lt Wash to end up the way she did) to keep me enjoying the show.

Now with Terra Nova over, and Walking Dead on break.. nothing left to watch! All my other favorites (Battlestar Galactica, 24, Caprica, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Rome, Camelot) have all since been cancelled.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »

Sure, people do some dumb things in the show, but overall I've really enjoyed it. Hope it gets renewed. And it's a good thing Skye is really 26 as I don't have to feel bad about thinking she's cute  icon_wink
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 21, 2011, 06:24:12 AM

Now with Terra Nova over, and Walking Dead on break.. nothing left to watch! All my other favorites (Battlestar Galactica, 24, Caprica, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Rome, Camelot) have all since been cancelled.

Alcatraz looks like it might be worth giving a shot - I think it's filling in the slot where Terra Nova was.

- - -

Finale was pretty good all around, about as much as I could hope for.  AND they even explained my question about why not destroy the thingy.  The ending mystery element was very cool too.  Only lame thing was the Lucas stuff - come on, if you are going to kill/capture someone that dangerous make sure you do it right lol.  Chop his head off, burn the pieces, nuke them from space, it's the only way to be sure.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »

He's dead, Jim.  We put the fun in funeral (the studio will shop the show around but it seems doubtful anyone would tackle such an expensive, special FX-driven show)

Fox cancels 'Terra Nova'
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/06/showbiz/tv/fox-terra-nova-cancelled-ew/index.html?hpt=hp_bn4
Fox has cancelled prehistoric dino drama "Terra Nova" after one season, ending months of will-they-or-won't-they speculation. Studio 20th Century Fox TV, however, says they fight "Terra Nova's" extinction event by shopping the series to other networks.

The decision was handed down despite a few factors that were in the show's favor: A creatively strong two-hour finale, which won over many of the show's grumbling detractors; Fox cancelling Monday night veteran "House"; and another Monday sci-fi drama, "Alcatraz," under-performing in recent weeks. From what we hear, Fox higher-ups weren't too fond of the show.

"Terra Nova" will likely end up the highest-rated cancelled show of the season. It averaged 10.1 million viewers and a 3.6 adult demo rating once you add in a week of DVR playback.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »

Good job, Fox.

Terra Nova was one of the few shows I actually enjoyed watching.

I dedicate this picture to HepC.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »

I'm hoping that what he's looking at offscreen is a giant rock coming at him.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 06, 2012, 05:39:32 PM

He's dead, Jim.  We put the fun in funeral (the studio will shop the show around but it seems doubtful anyone would tackle such an expensive, special FX-driven show)

figured this was coming.  I didn't even bother with the last few episodes.

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »

Sooooo much wasted potential and truly piss-poor writing. The acting wasn't that great, and the effects went downhill as the season progressed. Other than that, stellar effort by all involved.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »

I think these types of shows have a built in Catch 22.  Some folks want a story arc that's interesting and evolves over the course of the show, while others want to feel like they can drop in anytime and not have to worry about catching up.  I'm in the former group myself and I thought Terra Nova tried to hard to please both crowds and ended up watering down the offerings on both ends.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 06, 2012, 07:31:42 PM

I think these types of shows have a built in Catch 22.  Some folks want a story arc that's interesting and evolves over the course of the show, while others want to feel like they can drop in anytime and not have to worry about catching up.  I'm in the former group myself and I thought Terra Nova tried to hard to please both crowds and ended up watering down the offerings on both ends.

I liked the Buffy formula:  most seasons were self contained and if the show got cancelled there wouldn't have been a lot of loose threads.  for example:

Spoiler for Hiden:
season 1: Master defeated
season 2: Angel, Spike and Drusilla defeated
season 3: Faith and the Mayor defeated
season 4: Adam and the Initiative defeated
season 5: Harmony defeated

now after the 5th season they tied together seasons 6 & 7.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »

I don't think I'll miss it. They focused too much on the Sixers and not enough of dinosaurs or just exploring this new world. The family drama thing sucked the life out of it for me when there were any conversations between the characters or god forbid the singing.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2012, 04:26:14 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 06, 2012, 07:59:43 PM

I don't think I'll miss it. They focused too much on the Sixers and not enough of dinosaurs or just exploring this new world. The family drama thing sucked the life out of it for me when there were any conversations between the characters or god forbid the singing.

Yeah, the Father Knows Best aspect was the worst. Imagine if a network like, oh, TMC picked it up, assigned some real writers, and turned out some grittier scripts. The setting and situation were good. Sf fans don't like simple family shows, and simple families don't like sf.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:42 AM »

There were some dumb things with the teens, but I enjoyed the show. Would certainly watch another season if someone picked it up.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »

On the plus side there was a lot of talk that Fox was going to keep either Terra Nova or Fringe, so perhaps this bodes well for Fringe's survival.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 07, 2012, 12:11:29 PM

On the plus side there was a lot of talk that Fox was going to keep either Terra Nova or Fringe, so perhaps this bodes well for Fringe's survival.

I thought Fringe was written for this season to be the final one?  Would love more, but wouldn't mind if they just wrapped it up really well.

It's too bad about Terra Nova, but in all honesty given the budget and the premise, the show really could/should have offered more.  It reminded me a bit of No Ordinary Family in the sense that it felt like the writers/producers couldn't decide what kind of show they wanted to put on.  So what we got was a mashup of a family drama, sci-fi, a "mysterious" discovery show (a la Lost), an action adventure... Even worse the cast was less than stellar, and they didn't bother to get even one well-known sci-fi actor/actress. 

It's really annoying to me that sci-fi/fantasy shows on the major networks always feel like compromises from producers who have no idea what fans want.  Heroes went that way, The Cape, V, The Event, Flashforward, the list goes on and on... if these idiots just allowed me to give them critiques, I could have told them exactly how, why and when each would fail.  It's not rocket science.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »

Netflix to the rescue?

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: