http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:25:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Survivor 2012: One COMPLETELY Lame World  (Read 1176 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »

I had high hopes for this season but thus far it's kind of been a dud.  I can't say I really like anyone on either team, pretty much everyone annoys me.  The girls with their incessant whining and unreasonable idea of "bargaining" - hard to rally around any of them.  On the guys side, the hottest guy IMHO Matt was also the biggest a-hole, which of course was immediately corrected.  The other hot guy seems like he has no brain, the Bill guy seems like he's gone insane.  The dwarf has no personality whatsoever yet.  The dueling Tarzans just confuse me, and of course that leaves Colton, who they are clearly grooming/editing as the show's villain/star, but he's so uber-gay he makes me seem like Clint Eastwood (I don't have a good analogy here, someone help me out).  He's kind of fun to watch, but also pretty irritating.  I generally enjoy the show more when there's someone/something to root for, but so far I don't see much.  Maybe the dwarf and the Asian chick will unite as underdogs, that could be fun.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:09:17 PM by rittchard » Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3936



View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 01, 2012, 07:25:44 PM

I had high hopes for this season but thus far it's kind of been a dud.  I can't say I really like anyone on either team, pretty much everyone annoys me.  The girls with their incessant whining and unreasonable idea of "bargaining" - hard to rally around any of them.  On the guys side, the hottest guy IMHO Matt was also the biggest a-hole, which of course was immediately corrected.  The other hot guy seems like he has no brain, the Bill guy seems like he's gone insane.  The dwarf has no personality whatsoever yet.  The dueling Tarzans just confuse me, and of course that leaves Colton, who they are clearly grooming/editing as the show's villain/star, but he's so uber-gay he makes me seem like Clint Eastwood (I don't have a good analogy here, someone help me out).  He's kind of fun to watch, but also pretty irritating.  I generally enjoy the show more when there's someone/something to root for, but so far I don't see much.  Maybe the dwarf and the Asian chick will unite as underdogs, that could be fun. 

No that was a good analogy, Clint Eastwood is supremely manly and Colton is beyond gay. He's like the Super Nova of gays. He's so gay that I wonder if he's putting it on a bit for the show, it just doesn't seem like normal behavior (normal meaning for anyone straight or gay). But then again this is a reality show and most people act strangely on Survivor. 
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1329


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »

The "one world" concept is a sound one. Making it men vs. women was a terrible decision. Plus, this has to be the weakest cast in quite a while. It seems like they went all out for dim-witted eye candy on both sides. I agree though. There is no one on either side worthy of rooting for so the show has been an annoying slog of an experience thus far.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on March 01, 2012, 07:46:31 PM

The "one world" concept is a sound one. Making it men vs. women was a terrible decision.

Yeah I'm really surprised they went that route.  Totally agree the original concept was great but adding the gender battle screwed it up.  I wouldn't be surprised if they mix the teams up sooner rather than later, similar to when they did the race-based teams that one year (or as my friend called it "racist Survivor.")
Logged
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 414


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »

I don't normally watch Survivor, but my cousin happens to be on the show this season!  She is Christina Cha, so I am hoping she does well.  I had a kick seeing her yell at Alicia in the first episode.  It's also weird seeing her on the show, because the last time I really saw her when she was a little girl.  Makes me feel old. frown
Logged
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1696


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:50:49 AM »

The one contestant I like this season is Tarzan (the older one). He seems pretty smart, has given a few good comebacks, is quick thinking and will stand up for himself. He had several good moments this last episode including where that one guy walked in to the strategy session and Tarzan basically put the guy on the spot telling him he needed to join them or would be out. He also had that fantastic moment at the end of tribal where he asked Jeff if he could read the rest of the votes. I don't remember anyone ever asking for that before and wondered why.

On the womens team really the only two women you can get behind are Christina and Monica who seem the most clear headed of the bunch. Alicia is a nut case though.

I'd say this season is off to another slow start but I'm still enjoying it. The one camp site is somewhat interesting to see how each tribe behaves when one has something the other needs.
Logged
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2048


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 01, 2012, 09:25:51 PM

Yeah I'm really surprised they went that route.  Totally agree the original concept was great but adding the gender battle screwed it up.  I wouldn't be surprised if they mix the teams up sooner rather than later, similar to when they did the race-based teams that one year (or as my friend called it "racist Survivor.")
Yep, I thought the producers of Survivor collectively lost their minds that season.  I think they had been out too long in the jungles and were sufferring from some type of dymentia.  Hey, lets sort out the teams next season by race.  It will be awesome.  Viewers can root for their favorite race, and we can have weekly text voting to see which race is the fan favorite. 

I'm really surprised they went with the gender split this season.  2 side by side camps of mixed teams would have worked better.  I don't want to watch an entire camp of dudes, and I don't want to watch an all female camp either.  Mix it up asap.

Namatoki - congrats on your cousin being on the show!  How cool is that?  She seems to be one of the few level headed, intelligent people on her tribe.  Hopefully she can keep it up.   
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 02, 2012, 09:30:04 PM

Namatoki - congrats on your cousin being on the show!  How cool is that?  She seems to be one of the few level headed, intelligent people on her tribe.  Hopefully she can keep it up.   

Yeah she was the only girl I was rooting for but I was disappointed to see she was immediately out of the larger alliance and will likely be gone soon.  I hate that.  Sadly it seems the only time an Asian had a really strong game was in racist survivor when they actually had more than one. 
Logged
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1329


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »

I've watched every episode of every season of Survivor and I thought I've seen it all, from epic blindsides, to fake idols, to purposely thrown challenges. Last night's tribal council trumps all that by a mile. Just an amazing "WTF????" scenario that may go down as one of the most bizarre strategic acts ever. I understand the logic behind the decision, but still, WTF??

Oh, and Colton is fast replacing Russell Hantz as one of the most disgusting people to ever play the game. I desperately hoped for Bill to punch him at the end.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on March 08, 2012, 06:02:17 PM

I've watched every episode of every season of Survivor and I thought I've seen it all, from epic blindsides, to fake idols, to purposely thrown challenges. Last night's tribal council trumps all that by a mile. Just an amazing "WTF????" scenario that may go down as one of the most bizarre strategic acts ever. I understand the logic behind the decision, but still, WTF??

Oh, and Colton is fast replacing Russell Hantz as one of the most disgusting people to ever play the game. I desperately hoped for Bill to punch him at the end.

lol yeah this is an absolutely incredible bunch of idiots, and not in an entertaining way.  More just irritating.  I didn't think it was even in the rules you could do a flip like that, I wonder if a producer or someone suggested it to Colton.

I do have the sense that Colton is being edited to look even worse than he might have actually been, or perhaps they edited out things they didn't want you to see.  It's clear they want to paint him as the villain for the season, probably because most of the people are idiots.  I thought some of the crap he said to Bill was horrible, but on the flip side it really did seem like that guy was pretty annoying.  The whole sequence when he was in Colton's face was just so difficult to watch.  And what was up with Tarzan's thing about race?  Was that directed at Jeff?  Wacky!
Logged
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1696


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »

It was a bit wacky but I think Tarzan was responding to the earlier interaction between Jeff and Colton. Colton said he had african american friends in defense that him not liking Bill was due to race. Jeff then asked who, and Colton said his housekeeper. But the fact that Tarzan was so gun ho about going to tribal had me re-thinking this guy was smart. I do know I would never think of cheating around that guy. "Cheater! You're a cheater!"

I don't understand why the tribe just didn't vote out Colton or at least attempt to flush out the idol - they could have made a tie vote between Bill and Colton. They are giving Colton a lot of power and look to be doing his bidding which in turn has gone to his head.

Bill did handle himself well at tribal with holding back and not stooping to Coltons level. Even in the post interview he was classy. But man, why did you even agree to go to tribal. Better to say no and see how things shake out.

If I was on the women's team I would have taken the men up on that net offer where they catch the fish and give them half. I thought that was a good deal. A few fish at this point in the game is not going to make much of a difference. Plus they could have just watched what was being done and said we don't need you anymore and did it themselves.

That was certainly a crazy entertaining episode all around.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »

Yeah I definitely feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, or some things were edited out.  The first episode it looked like Colton was completely ostracized from everyone in his tribe, and in the second it seemed like even the girls were sick of him.  Now he did get the idol, but was that one thing alone that completely flipped everyone?  They had that short scene where he allies the "misfits" together against the hot guys, but that was about all I remember.  I'm thinking there's more to it than just that and it was just edited out.

Some of his ranting is so obnoxious it's hard to believe people would just take that, it's not like he's intimidating like Boston Rob lol.  Like that Hawaiian guy in the commercial, he literally says he'll be Colton's bitch.  And everyone suddenly seems so afraid of him.  Hopefully the tribes will mix next week and shake things up.
Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3936



View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Karma is a Bitch Colton. He may be the most pure evil person I've ever seen play the game. Kicks people when they are down and hates them for no apparent reason. Although everyone he was really mean to happened to be non-Caucasian.

After the way Christina handled herself this week I am really pulling for her to win. Hands down the most honorable player in the game.
Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 05:42:43 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 22, 2012, 03:24:01 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Karma is a Bitch Colton. He may be the most pure evil person I've ever seen play the game. Kicks people when they are down and hates them for no apparent reason. Although everyone he was really mean to happened to be non-Caucasian.

After the way Christina handled herself this week I am really pulling for her to win. Hands down the most honorable player in the game.

I don't know about "honorable" (remains to be seen as she hasn't had any real alliance to be honorable to as of yet), but certainly the only player worth rooting for.  I can't believe how nice she was being to Colton; even if she was faking it, that still takes a lot of compassion to take care of someone like that after he was a complete asshole to you.  Obviously editing can skew everything, but I don't recall a single thing that Christina did or said that would seem to have irritated or offended so many people, particularly on the girl's side.  I hope she can unify with the rest of the misfits and maybe make some sort of run of it.
Logged
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1329


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »

That was a fitting end to one of the most disgusting human beings ever seen on TV.

Unfortunately, Alicia appears to have inherited the bitch role now, although with far less leverage than Colton. I laughed when she expected to get his immunity idol and didn't.

Christina is the most sympathetic contestant left, but she does not seem to be in a good situation at all even after the merge. If she doesn't get voted out right away, I think she might end up being a swing vote between competing alliances.

The old crazy guy (cannot remember his name--wow, ironic) is incredibly annoying. The previews for next week make it seem like he is intent on burning all bridges which is fine by me. The sooner he leaves the better.
Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3936



View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »

Season wrapped up Sunday, all in all a pretty tame ending.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Kim won and deservedly so. The rest of the final 5 had no chance since she kept winning immunity and she had a hidden immunity idol. She really did play one strong game, she managed to manipulate everyone after the merge and she didn't even piss anyone off doing it.

Overall this was a weak season, with a bunch of pathetic players.

Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1329


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »

Totally agree with your assessment. It was the weakest season in quite some time. Although Colton was a mean spirited jerk the entire time, the show really went into the toilet once he got airlifted out. Once it got down to the 5 women, I really did not care who won the season, although the person who did certainly deserved it.

To me, the producers completely blew the whole "one world" concept by separating the contestants into men vs. women. I think if the two tribes were mixed sexes, things would have been less predictable and maybe more compelling post-merge.

Next season looks interesting. Will take place in the Philippines, with three tribes, including three contestants from past seasons who exited the game due to medical reasons, which pretty much opens up the possibility of Colton and his crazy brand of nastiness stressing everyone out.

Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

Yeah this was one of the most boring seasons ever - particularly the second half.  Unfortunately Colton's comment was dead on; as soon as he was gone the show just tanked.  You could pretty much just see Kim winning from that moment on.  If Colton had stayed, the outcome very well could have been the same (given she was so strong in challenges AND held an immunity idol) but it would have been a much more interesting ride.

Christina frustrated me to no end, she was really the only one I was rooting for but she never stepped out to take any form of risk at all, and there were plenty of opportunities.  Not to mention how mean all those girls were to her, I would have jumped onto the boys side immediately just out of spite.  So aggravating.  And did you notice not once did anyone even mention taking Kim out, even though she was clearly the frontrunner from virtually every standpoint.  I know it's easy for us to say sitting at home, but some times it's just like watching a bunch of retarded monkeys.  If just one monkey shows any ounce of dominance or intelligence (see Boston Rob), the remainder fall in line.

I do hope they bring Colton back, the question for me would be if the filming for that was already done, so the cast wouldn't have seen him yet.  That would give him a bit more of a fighting chance.
Logged
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1696


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »

That was a pretty poor reunion show too. I always feel bad for the cast that show up but don't get asked any questions. But really the only question I had that wasn't asked/answered was what Troyzan felt the correct answer to his final question to Kim was. She apparently didn't answer correctly as he voted for Sabrina.

I agree that other than Colton I don't think there is anyone from this season I would care to see play again. And even Colton is iffy. But my curiosity to see if he can keep on manipulating people and what he does with that is peaked.
Logged
Toe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1493


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 15, 2012, 05:23:51 PM

Yeah this was one of the most boring seasons ever - particularly the second half.  Unfortunately Colton's comment was dead on; as soon as he was gone the show just tanked.  You could pretty much just see Kim winning from that moment on.  If Colton had stayed, the outcome very well could have been the same (given she was so strong in challenges AND held an immunity idol) but it would have been a much more interesting ride.

Christina frustrated me to no end, she was really the only one I was rooting for but she never stepped out to take any form of risk at all, and there were plenty of opportunities.  Not to mention how mean all those girls were to her, I would have jumped onto the boys side immediately just out of spite.  So aggravating.  And did you notice not once did anyone even mention taking Kim out, even though she was clearly the frontrunner from virtually every standpoint.  I know it's easy for us to say sitting at home, but some times it's just like watching a bunch of retarded monkeys.  If just one monkey shows any ounce of dominance or intelligence (see Boston Rob), the remainder fall in line.

I do hope they bring Colton back, the question for me would be if the filming for that was already done, so the cast wouldn't have seen him yet.  That would give him a bit more of a fighting chance.

I strongly disagree that after Colton left that you could "pretty much just see Kim winning from that moment on.". Most of her individual immunity wins were close calls. Had she lost even one down the stretch I am betting we would have seen a lot more action. Plus, there were several really close calls for the girl dominance early on after colton left. All it would have taken was 1-2 people to swing the tide on several occasions. And, just because they did not show anyone talking about taking Kim out does not mean there was not people talking about it.

For me, I would never watch a survivor with Colton on it. I might, maybe watch a season he was on after he was voted off.
Logged
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 378



View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »

The season was terrible and the final three were so bad that we didn't even get any decent drama from the final statements and questioning.

Usually, the final 3 start to say things to draw distinctions between themselves and the other finalists and that usually starts some friction but they were so lame, they didn't even do that. Kim said she played a great strategic game but the other two played better social games. They couldn't even get up the nerve to contradict Kim at the end for the million dollars and talk about how her game wasn't that great, since she took the blame for every blindside. 

Ugh. 

And at some point - they have to make Jeff play a season.  Get his ass out there.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3983


View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »

Quote from: jament on May 16, 2012, 08:43:09 PM

The season was terrible and the final three were so bad that we didn't even get any decent drama from the final statements and questioning.

Usually, the final 3 start to say things to draw distinctions between themselves and the other finalists and that usually starts some friction but they were so lame, they didn't even do that. Kim said she played a great strategic game but the other two played better social games. They couldn't even get up the nerve to contradict Kim at the end for the million dollars and talk about how her game wasn't that great, since she took the blame for every blindside. 

...and this is exactly why I felt Kim was such an obvious win in the second half.  The only thing that confused me at all was that I occasionally mistook her for Chelsea while fast forwarding.  Other than that it was pretty clear who was dominant in both the challenges and the manipulation; not to mention knowing she held the hidden immunity idol on top of that.  How many times did someone talk about her staring through you and using her baby blue eyes to convince you of anything?  The only winners I can remember controlling the game/players so strongly without people contradicting them were Boston Rob and JT.  Rob's was more disturbingly cult-like, this one reminded me a bit more of JT where everyone just clearly liked him so much, they were hard pressed to get angry even after he blindsided them.  In all these cases, all it would have taken was a real "let's compare notes" to realize they were playing multiple sides, but no one did that.  Maybe it was edited out, but it's highly doubtful that two of the players would realize she had lied to them and have that not come up at all.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 67 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.049s, 2q)