http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:49:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Smallville: The End (spoilers for final season)  (Read 731 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »

apparently I didn't start a new Smallville thread this season, but I'd figure I'd give the heads up that the series finale is on tonight in case anyone who used to watch the show wanted to see how it all ends.

it's been an interesting season so far, with them ripping off the Hangover and the Matrix in back to back episodes.  they also brought in more characters for different episodes, like Booster Gold and the Blue Beetle.  they also had the alternate Earth which led to Lionel Luthor returning.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »

I've got the DVR set.  The show jumped the shark ages ago and I couldn't even force myself to watch it at some point.  However, I'll catch the series finale for the sake of nostalgia.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2011, 06:04:52 PM

it's been an interesting season so far, with them ripping off the Hangover and the Matrix in back to back episodes.

I was amused by the Spartacus: Blood and Sand ripoff in the Phantom Zone a few weeks ago.

This season has been all over the place, even more than usual.  Looking forward to the finale with Michael Rosenbaum and at long last, the suit(?).

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »

I started off hating the show, then got hooked a few years ago, only to hate it again at some point. I think it was when he was wearing the dark "suit". I still kept up with it on the DVR, until one day they all were wiped from the hard drive. I think the history channel ran a marathon of MonsterQuest or something and marked them all as new, so the DVR recorded all of them and knocked out almost all of the shows I had recorded. I never bothered to get back into Smallville.

Did the show ever get any better? I have friends who claim that they got back into it at some point, and it's been good for the last year or two. If so, I'll rent the last season or two on Netflix or something.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »

over the last couple of seasons it's started getting long in the tooth.  still, if you rent from Netflix it's not like you'll be out much if you don't care for them.  like Freezer said, this season has been all over the place, with some good stuff and some blatant ripoffs of other movies.  it is kind of like they have no idea how to cap the series.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2011, 08:55:44 PM

it is kind of like they have no idea how to cap the series.

let's hope it ends with him becoming superman...and not wonder woman.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2011, 09:11:31 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2011, 08:55:44 PM

it is kind of like they have no idea how to cap the series.

let's hope it ends with him becoming superman...and not wonder woman.

I bet he moves to Gotham and becomes Robin.  they keep teasing the suit for the finale but I remember reading something that said it might not actually show up at all.  heck, he still can't fly.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:18:16 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:18:37 AM »

I haven't watched Smallville in years, but imho that was a pretty damn awesome finale tonight. thumbsup I teared up and got a lump in my throat several times, pretty crazy considering I'd stopped watching the show eons ago.

They musta burned up some pretty crazy special effects budget money on the finale.

And...
Spoiler for Hiden:
YES he wore the damn suit at the end and you had lots and lots of glorious FX sequences of him flying around in it as he prevents some runaway planet/comet/asteroid thing from destroying the earth (I confess I missed some parts and didn't at times know what the heck was going on). Now THAT'S the way to end a series! icon_cool

I'd like a Green Arrow spin-off I think, though that doesn't seem to be in the cards.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:24:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 02:33:57 AM »

I don't know, like all the big Smallville fights when all was said and done is was kinda anti-climatic.  still, I got a little misty eyed at the end when they broke out the theme.

Spoiler for random thoughts:
I also got a lump in my throat when Jonathan gave him the suit.

I can't believe they didn't pull out any of the other heroes.

Tess got a raw deal there, but she went out a hero.

the big fight against Darkseid and getting rid of Apokolips was very disappointing.  he just pushed the planet away?

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 02:53:57 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2011, 02:33:57 AM

I don't know, like all the big Smallville fights when all was said and done is was kinda anti-climatic.  still, I got a little misty eyed at the end when they broke out the theme.

Spoiler for random thoughts:
I also got a lump in my throat when Jonathan gave him the suit.

I can't believe they didn't pull out any of the other heroes.

Tess got a raw deal there, but she went out a hero.

the big fight against Darkseid and getting rid of Apokolips was very disappointing.  he just pushed the planet away?

i agree with pretty much all of this.  the finale had some really good moments with regard to Clark becoming Superman, but the way they dealt with Darkseid was totally anticlimactic.  overall, i do think they did a decent job of closing out the show though...and hearing the music build up to the classic theme at the end was perfect icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »

On the other hand, watching the finale made me realize I don't want to go back and watch any of the seasons I missed after I gave up this show.  I fondly remember the first few seasons, but they lost their way a long, long time ago.  I felt embarrassed for the writers and the actors during that whole debacle.  Good riddance, I say.   icon_wink

And I pray they don't give anyone from that show a spin off.  Especially Green Arrow.  That's NOT the Oliver Queen I want on screen anywhere.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2011, 09:11:02 PM

On the other hand, watching the finale made me realize I don't want to go back and watch any of the seasons I missed after I gave up this show.  I fondly remember the first few seasons, but they lost their way a long, long time ago.  I felt embarrassed for the writers and the actors during that whole debacle.  Good riddance, I say.   icon_wink

And I pray they don't give anyone from that show a spin off.  Especially Green Arrow.  That's NOT the Oliver Queen I want on screen anywhere.

This. I ended up fast-forwarding through much of the episode. I was disappointed that once he gets the suit, it takes all of 5 minutes for everything to wrap up. Also, what was up with nothing but distant shots in the suit? That was a buzz kill. They made people wait 10 seasons to see Tom Welling wearing the suit, and when they finally do it, all you see is shitty CGI shots from afar.  disgust
Havoc76
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:02 AM »

Enjoyed the episode. Smallville was always a guilty pleasure, so I never had high expectations, just enjoyed it for what it was.

Quote from: rickfc on May 15, 2011, 01:12:34 PM

Also, what was up with nothing but distant shots in the suit? That was a buzz kill. They made people wait 10 seasons to see Tom Welling wearing the suit, and when they finally do it, all you see is shitty CGI shots from afar.  disgust

My guess is the producers didn't have a choice w/the distant shots. I remember reading that for a long time Warner Bros. didn't want the suit in the show...probably to "avoid devaluing" the movie franchise (that they have done crap with). I think the producers finally got to use the suit with the stipulation that you wouldn't really get to see Tom Welling in it...most likely because WB doesn't want to associate Tom with Superman as they try to kick off a new Superman movie with a new face.

Pretty idiotic since Smallville is the only decent use of the Superman franchise (outside of some of the comics) in the last 25-30 years.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »

Quote from: Havoc76 on May 16, 2011, 02:42:02 AM

Pretty idiotic since Smallville is the only decent use of the Superman franchise (outside of some of the comics) in the last 25-30 years.

I've always thought the animated series that they had in the mid to late 90's was pretty decent.  it's kinda funny, that series ended with a fight with Darkseid too, granted the animated one was a bit more epic.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2011, 03:02:35 AM

I've always thought the animated series that they had in the mid to late 90's was pretty decent.  it's kinda funny, that series ended with a fight with Darkseid too, granted the animated one was a bit more epic.

Superman: TAS (the animated series) was so superior to Smallville (and to Superman Returns) that it's ridiculous.  If you're a superman fan, you owe it to yourself to see this emmy winning cartoon.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 16, 2011, 02:04:41 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2011, 03:02:35 AM

Superman: TAS (the animated series) was so superior to Smallville (and to Superman Returns) that it's ridiculous.  If you're a superman fan, you owe it to yourself to see this emmy winning cartoon.

in all fairness to Smallville (not Superman Returns though, that movie desevres to be beat like a red headed stepchild and then put in a burlap sack weighted down with rocks and then be dropped into Boston Harbor) TAS was allowed to bring in the big guns, and doing epic scenes and battles is easier when it's all drawn.  They had the full support of DC while Smallville ended up getting whatever scraps DC would allow, and then they had to use those scraps with whatever money they had in the budget.

You also have to give them credit for being able to pull off a 10 year run.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2011, 02:20:10 PM

You also have to give them credit for being able to pull off a 10 year run.

According to Jim was on the air for 8 years.  Trying to tie quantity to quality doesn't always work.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I was a huge comic book dork when I was a kid, and Smallville took the promise of studying a young superman coming into his own and learning about the value of life from two of the greatest parents that ever lived and turned it into Gossip Girl meets 2nd and 3rd season Heroes.  They not only disappointed me with the crap they put on the air, they also trashed an icon in the process.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 14, 2011, 02:18:37 AM

I haven't watched Smallville in years, but imho that was a pretty damn awesome finale tonight. thumbsup I teared up and got a lump in my throat several times, pretty crazy considering I'd stopped watching the show eons ago.

Heh, that was pretty much exactly the same with me.  I gave up on it after first or second season, I forget, and only watched a couple episodes here and there in the past 10 years.  I kept up on some of the things through friends talking about it.  I always felt like Tom Welling was a total dud actor who had no chemistry with anyone but Lex, so that made it hard to watch particularly after Lex was gone.  I have to say that feeling was re-enforced when they had their scene together.  Clearly there's something about the Lex actor that gets Tom Welling fired up, because it's the only time I seem to see him fired up as an actor. 

Anyway, I thought the finale was well done, it was nice to see a lot of the old familiar faces and I liked how they set up the ending to match the more "traditional" Superman lore.  Would have been nice to get a Kristin Kreuk cameo in there somehow but oh well.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 24, 2011, 06:00:01 PM

Would have been nice to get a Kristin Kreuk cameo in there somehow but oh well.

she didn't cross my mind the whole finale, and it didn't occur to me she was missing until just now.  the Justice League missing stood out a lot more than her missing.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »

this guy loves him some Smallville: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07MMlFqGvQ&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: