http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:30:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Revolution - season 2 is here.  (Read 4075 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2013, 01:32:53 AM »

about 10 episodes in.  Liking it, but watching the episodes back to back to back to back may be helping.  also getting a kick out of all the Stephen King references.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 05:32:41 AM »

and done with the first season.  Maybe it is due to me not having to wait between episodes, but I liked it.  sure, there are plot holes you could fit Moliere's arse through but it was still a fun adventure.  if they do decide to break up the season again like they did last time, I hope it is an even break (11 episodes in the fall, 11 in the spring), because that wouldn't make it much worse than Game of Thrones where you have 10 episodes and have to wait 9 or so months for new episodes.  heck, it's be the equivalent of getting 2 full seasons a year.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »

How did you feel about the writers' very wise decision to shove Charlie and her angsty puppy-love teen drama away into the background so they focus the back half of the season on events of substance?  Were you relieved when they finally started spotlighting talented members of the cast and exploring the central premise of the show, or do you think the show should have held true to its original direction of being about daddy issues, wandering around in the woods, and complaining?

"Here's our pitch: a television series about how society has rebuilt in the wake of a global technological collapse.  Imagine the S.M. Stirling novel Dies the Fire, but in our version, the characters won't be the most detestable dipshits of all time."

"Interesting.  So it's just like The Hunger Games!"

"What?  N-no, that has nothing to do with-"

"I can see it now!  A girl wandering the woods -- with a bow, of course -- trying to make sense of a world gone topsy-turvey after the death of her father.  We'll need a younger, more sickly sibling for her to be protective of...and yes, a bad boy love interest for her to moon over while all the other characters advance the plot."

"That couldn't be less relevant to the story arc we've sketched out.  Our series is about a roguish anti-hero grappling with his conscience-"

"Haymitch."

"-as he fights against a tyrannical despot with all the men and resources in the world-"

"President Snow."

"-in a post-apocalyptic world that integrates elements of advanced technology with medieval feudalism...goddammit...."

"Exactly.  Now we just need a star.  Someone young, available on short notice, and neither talented nor attractive enough to ever star alongside Bradley Cooper.  And I know just the girl...."

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 25, 2013, 02:20:39 PM

How did you feel about the writers' very wise decision to shove Charlie and her angsty puppy-love teen drama away into the background so they focus the back half of the season on events of substance?  Were you relieved when they finally started spotlighting talented members of the cast and exploring the central premise of the show, or do you think the show should have held true to its original direction of being about daddy issues, wandering around in the woods, and complaining?

I could tell the quality changed for the better in the second half, but then the mommy issues kept creeping in.

Because I can,
Baroquen131
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »

This was a series that sat on my DVR for months, well into the summer when I had plenty of free time. I guess the "good news" for the show is that I did get around to watching the whole first season and it was ok. The not so great news, is I watched while multitasking (surfing, gaming, etc.). I didn't care enough about what was going on to give it my undivided attention. Hope the second season gets off to a good start, or I suspect I'll drift away. Interesting finale, now that i think back... I'm more interested in the premise/larger scale story than the characters. We'll see where it goes.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »

So...just read that season 1 of this show is universally considered mediocre to awful.  But the light at the end of the tunnel is that the network appears to be aware that that's the general consensus and they're putting their money where their mouth is by hiring a dream team.

Ben Edlund and Rockne S. O'Bannon are joining the writing team.  Ben Edlund alone is enough to bring me on board with season 2, but adding O'Bannon is just icing on the cake.  I'm anxious to see what these two greats bring to the show.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:31:19 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2013, 03:09:14 AM »

well that was an interesting premiere.

Spoiler for Hiden:
so, did Rachel implant Aaron with that healing device?  would it work after he was dead?  did the fireflies have something to do with it?

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »

That was about a hundred times better than all of season 1.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »

Quote from: hepcat
That was about a hundred times better than all of season 1.

I was thinking the same thing. My typical method of watching Revolution is to be doing something - anything while letting it run in the background. If I miss something, I just let my wife fill me in.

Last night's episode was the first that actually had my attention throughout.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »

I refer to those types of shows as "iPad shows".  I tend to just read stuff on my iPad or browse the 'net while they're on.  Castle moved into that territory after season 1 and Revolution after the third episode of season 1.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »

I miss having my PC in the same room as my TV, but I do have to say shows get more attention nowadays.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »

I stopped after the first half of the first season. All this praise is going to force me to watch this show again.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

Anyone catch the 2nd season premiere?  It seemed kind of all over the place to me, but I watched it in short bursts mostly on the iPad so I may not be giving it a fair shake. 
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »

Season 2 so far is a huge improvement over the first - I'm now watching because I want to, not just to laugh at the terrible acting and contrived plot.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2013, 07:40:55 PM »

They really are going by the Walking Dead playbook, aren't they?  But that's fine by me.  The last season of WD was pretty fun. 

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »

Didn't care for Season 1 so much, though I did get around to finishing it.

Season 2 so far, as Exodor mentioned, is a huge improvement over Season 1.

With Monroe being the main bad guy in Season 1, not caring to see him trying to be all 'good' now.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 11, 2013, 09:27:14 AM

Didn't care for Season 1 so much, though I did get around to finishing it.

Season 2 so far, as Exodor mentioned, is a huge improvement over Season 1.

With Monroe being the main bad guy in Season 1, not caring to see him trying to be all 'good' now.

not sure what you mean Hep.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »

I had this on my dvr and decided to catch up on it.  I was surprised at the improvements to the show.  It is much better than it was last season.  Its got more of a post apocalyptic vibe to it now and its really playing on how the characters are not either just good or evil. Theres a lot of both in pretty much everyone.  Even Monroe is a far more interesting character than he was last season.  After last season I really didnt much care if they renewed it or not but now I hope that they get the chance to run with the new direction they have chosen.   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »

it'll be interesting to see if it survives.  Last I saw, ratings were slowly falling, and other than the premiere they number of viewers have all been under the lowest week from season one.  They need to get people watching again.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:35 PM »

Well damn!  I can see this weeks Monroe-centric episode going either way but I kind of hope he pulls through because hes a much more interesting character now that hes not just a cliche villain.  The dynamic he brings to our motley crew of freedom fighters makes things a bit more fun. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 28, 2013, 07:01:35 PM

Well damn!  I can see this weeks Monroe-centric episode going either way but I kind of hope he pulls through because hes a much more interesting character now that hes not just a cliche villain.  The dynamic he brings to our motley crew of freedom fighters makes things a bit more fun. 

as soon as they mentioned how they were going to get rid of him it became obvious what was going to happen.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »

well, supposedly next week is a big reveal episode.  They'd better make it good, I'm about to move this back to the 'wait for blu ray' list.

Because I can,
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »

And WTF NBC... Revolution has been axed.... I swear they kill the good shows and keep the CRAP ones...
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on May 13, 2014, 09:30:14 PM

And WTF NBC... Revolution has been axed.... I swear they kill the good shows and keep the CRAP ones...
I have this on severe backlog (I think there are 30 episodes on my tivo). Is there a REAL ending or do they end the series on a cliffhanger? If it is real, I'll keep them in Tivo, if they just bail, I'll delete it.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »

Not sure yet as there are one or two more episodes left.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on May 14, 2014, 09:25:50 AM

Not sure yet as there are one or two more episodes left.
Ok. Please post here and let me if if there is a proper ending
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »

I finally caught up last night.  Kind of bummed now because it was finally getting better in the last few episodes.  I love that they finally acknowledged multiple times (though jokingly) the kind of gay/bromance between Miles and Sebastian.  I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before as well, or at least I meant to.

I don't know if it will end on a cliffhanger, but it certainly doesn't look at all like they knew or thought they were getting cancelled.  It feels more like they were maybe midway in whatever larger story they had in mind.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »

Yeah... IIRC the last episode is tonight  mad
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2014, 12:58:42 AM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on May 21, 2014, 03:02:03 PM

Yeah... IIRC the last episode is tonight  mad

Looking forward to the report. I checked and not counting tonight I have 32 episodes saved on my Tivo.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »

Decent episode, but I was disappointed with the end, the ending was more like there should have been another season. I'd discuss it but I dont want to spoil anything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »

Punisher - without going into detail, no proper ending. They were clearly setting things up for a third season and had the rug yanked from underneath them.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »

maybe sci-fi picks it up?  The crazy breaks that the show went through (Thanks NBC) probably caused it to be cancelled.  People forgot to watch.  My favorite parts of the show is Mile's sarcasm. 
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2014, 04:51:28 AM »

So Punisher, did you delete or watch? IMHO you should still give it a go even though those numb nuts at NBC didn't give it a proper ending. Another good show fucked up by stupid tv execs...
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on May 31, 2014, 04:51:28 AM

So Punisher, did you delete or watch? IMHO you should still give it a go even though those numb nuts at NBC didn't give it a proper ending. Another good show fucked up by stupid tv execs...
Haven't decided yet.. I cannot stand shows that don't have a proper ending that need one... Do I want to invest in something with no payoff?
That being said, even if I do decide to watch it, it wont be for a while. besides those 32 episodes, I have a bunch of other stuff on my Tivo.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 22, 2014, 12:30:49 PM

Punisher - without going into detail, no proper ending. They were clearly setting things up for a third season and had the rug yanked from underneath them.

Can you (or anyone) put in a spoiler for what loose ends were not tied up and your opinion on if they are true cliffhangers that leave too many unanswered questions.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »

The unresolved loose ends mostly concern plot elements you have not yet encountered.  Suffice it to say that a lot of the drama between the main characters and their antagonists is resolved, while the central plot element of the global blackout itself enters into a new phase that would have set up Season 3.

-Autistic Angel
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 01, 2014, 06:20:06 PM

The unresolved loose ends mostly concern plot elements you have not yet encountered.  Suffice it to say that a lot of the drama between the main characters and their antagonists is resolved, while the central plot element of the global blackout itself enters into a new phase that would have set up Season 3.

-Autistic Angel
Thanks guys.. between this and what Mystic95Z sent me, I think I may just drop it... Even tough it sounds like the stuff I am invested in gets resolved, I don't want to get invested in a new plot just to be left hanging.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »

It being cancelled and the ending was disappointing to say the least, BUT up until hearing it had been axed I really liked the show. Don't regret watching it at all.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on June 02, 2014, 04:23:42 PM

It being cancelled and the ending was disappointing to say the least, BUT up until hearing it had been axed I really liked the show. Don't regret watching it at all.

Agreed - the last 2 or 3 episodes leading up to the finale were pretty enjoyable.  I had grown a little tired of the show but it seemed like they were cleaning house a bit to get ready for season 3.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:46 PM »

I admired Revolution's ability to intelligently expand the focus of the show, turning established relationships on their head and steadily pushing back the boundaries of their world.  There were some consistent problems -- Charlie and the actress who played her were terrible detriments to every scene in which they appeared and it never seemed credible that sixteen years has passed since the blackout -- but where most TV series will find a comfortable groove and wallow there forever, Revolution was all about opening up new territories to explore.

Season 2 was much better than the first.  I don't know if another round of episodes would have managed a similar leap in quality, but I would have liked to find out.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: